Arians talking smack after the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
No reason for Rams fans' anger at Bruce Arians
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14631/no-reason-for-anger-at-bruce-arians

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians is known for his gruff exterior and brutal honesty.

It's been considered one of the reasons that it took him so long to get a head coaching job. But Arians won't hesitate to let you know where he stands, so it shouldn't have been a surprise when he didn't mince words in his postgame news conference after the Cardinals beat the St. Louis Rams 12-6 on Thursday night.

Arians' comments rankled some Rams fans who felt like he needlessly took a couple of shots at the Rams. Did he need to do that? No, probably not. But I also don't think he was trying to do anything but get his 11-3 team the respect it deserves.

I wrote a little about this in the Ram-blings on Friday morning, but I wanted to revisit in light of some of the anger I've seen from Rams fans. Here's the comments from Arians with my take on each:

Arians quote: "I love it when nobody says that you will have a chance to win," Arians said. "There is an 11-3 team, and a team that is always 8-8. You figure it out."

My thoughts: Arians is understandably upset by the lack of respect his team is getting. They are leading the NFC and entered Thursday's games as underdogs. Obviously that isn't the Rams' fault, but Arians was making a larger point here that whenever his team wins, there's always an excuse for how it happened instead of credit being given. And, really, Arians is being generous. The Rams haven't had more than seven wins since 2006 and have only been 8-8 twice since 2003. However, Jeff Fisher has a long history of mediocrity on his coaching record, including five .500 finishes while coaching the Houston/Tennessee franchise. Maybe Arians could have made his point in a different way, but he was speaking truth here and his overall point about being an underdog to a team that was 6-7 entering the game while his team had 10 wins and a victory over the Rams is valid.

Arians quote: "Everybody wanted to say how great their defense is, but I think they saw a good defense tonight and it was in red and white," Arians said. "I am very proud of our guys."

My thoughts: This was a little bit more head-scratching. Arians' offense only mustered 12 points and had just 274 yards of offense. The Cardinals defense did outplay the Rams' defense but it's not like the Rams defense was any sort of slouch. Again, this seems to go back to Arians' perception of a lack of respect. The Rams defense was getting a lot of credit going into the game, credit it earned beyond the scope of a two-game shutout streak (this is the same defense that completely shut down Denver's high powered offense) but the point Arians clearly wanted to make was that his defense deserves some attention, too.

All things considered, this is all relatively harmless. If you were one of those laughing last week when Fisher had some fun at Washington's expense with his coin-toss captains and then doubled down when asked about it the next day, you can't then complain when another coach tosses a mostly accurate barb in your direction.

Arians and the Cardinals have done an amazing job of overcoming injuries, suspensions and all sorts of adversity this season and should be commended for it. If he wants to get his guys a little more love, more power to him.

Besides, the NFC West already has plenty of fun rivalries, so why not add one more? It's a safe bet that Fisher will store Arians' comments away for when the teams meet again in 2015. He's probably even already picked out No. 88 Lance Kendricks as one of his coin-toss captains.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Besides, the NFC West already has plenty of fun rivalries, so why not add one more? It's a safe bet that Fisher will store Arians' comments away for when the teams meet again in 2015. He's probably even already picked out No. 88 Lance Kendricks as one of his coin-toss captains.

What am I missing with the Kendricks remark?
I don't get it.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Speaking of......

What were the Cardinals before Kurt Warner graced them with his presence?

I'll wait, Bruceyboy.
Here's the Cardinals history of success radar. If you look closely you can see the lone blip. That's Warner.
th

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
No reason for Rams fans' anger at Bruce Arians
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/14631/no-reason-for-anger-at-bruce-arians

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians is known for his gruff exterior and brutal honesty.

It's been considered one of the reasons that it took him so long to get a head coaching job. But Arians won't hesitate to let you know where he stands, so it shouldn't have been a surprise when he didn't mince words in his postgame news conference after the Cardinals beat the St. Louis Rams 12-6 on Thursday night.

Arians' comments rankled some Rams fans who felt like he needlessly took a couple of shots at the Rams. Did he need to do that? No, probably not. But I also don't think he was trying to do anything but get his 11-3 team the respect it deserves.

I wrote a little about this in the Ram-blings on Friday morning, but I wanted to revisit in light of some of the anger I've seen from Rams fans. Here's the comments from Arians with my take on each:

Arians quote: "I love it when nobody says that you will have a chance to win," Arians said. "There is an 11-3 team, and a team that is always 8-8. You figure it out."

My thoughts: Arians is understandably upset by the lack of respect his team is getting. They are leading the NFC and entered Thursday's games as underdogs. Obviously that isn't the Rams' fault, but Arians was making a larger point here that whenever his team wins, there's always an excuse for how it happened instead of credit being given. And, really, Arians is being generous. The Rams haven't had more than seven wins since 2006 and have only been 8-8 twice since 2003. However, Jeff Fisher has a long history of mediocrity on his coaching record, including five .500 finishes while coaching the Houston/Tennessee franchise. Maybe Arians could have made his point in a different way, but he was speaking truth here and his overall point about being an underdog to a team that was 6-7 entering the game while his team had 10 wins and a victory over the Rams is valid.

Arians quote: "Everybody wanted to say how great their defense is, but I think they saw a good defense tonight and it was in red and white," Arians said. "I am very proud of our guys."

My thoughts: This was a little bit more head-scratching. Arians' offense only mustered 12 points and had just 274 yards of offense. The Cardinals defense did outplay the Rams' defense but it's not like the Rams defense was any sort of slouch. Again, this seems to go back to Arians' perception of a lack of respect. The Rams defense was getting a lot of credit going into the game, credit it earned beyond the scope of a two-game shutout streak (this is the same defense that completely shut down Denver's high powered offense) but the point Arians clearly wanted to make was that his defense deserves some attention, too.

All things considered, this is all relatively harmless. If you were one of those laughing last week when Fisher had some fun at Washington's expense with his coin-toss captains and then doubled down when asked about it the next day, you can't then complain when another coach tosses a mostly accurate barb in your direction.

Arians and the Cardinals have done an amazing job of overcoming injuries, suspensions and all sorts of adversity this season and should be commended for it. If he wants to get his guys a little more love, more power to him.

Wagoner doesn't get it.
Is Bruce Arians the first NFL head coach in history who wants his due respect from the media? No.
Was it necessary for Brucie to use the Rams in order to get his point across? No. Especially not AFTER the game...a game he won by six points.

Not even Jim the spaz Harbaugh or Pete the flaccid penis Carroll or our Jeff Fisher have thrown pot shots across the bow after a victory(or loss) vs the Rams or anyone else. Because they know the code and because they have the ability to use an ounce of professionalism and sportsmanship and yes RESPECT...even in the heat of the moment. Even if they want to stick it to the media. HC's have the right to speak their mind to the media. They can bark at the media, throw thinly veiled comments about officiating...thats fine. Thats all good....but DON'T disrespect an opponent after a win.

Arians is a straight up classless turd who only had the balls to say what he did for the cameras AFTER a six point victory. I hope they never win another game. I'm hoping they get shellacked by Seattle next week. I hope they get a SF beatdown the week after that...and i'm looking forward to the future coaching fraternity of unspoken backlash that could(should) come back as a result of this fat turds comments.

And everyone on this board knows that i was the first guy to give Arians props months ago for the job he was doing in AZ.
Now I can't wait to send all his QB's into the locker room next season too. Next man up! You figure it out....dick.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Meh, it would be hypocritical to hate on the guy when we praise Jeff Fisher for doing what he did to the Redskins, and then saying Monday "they've got bigger problems than the coin toss."

Still a douchy move.
Disagree entirely. Why?
Any doucheyness BEFORE a game is bulletin board material and fair game as far as i'm concerned.
Right AFTER the game? Classless and WEAK.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
C'mon guys, we all thought it was okay to troll Washington, but when they troll us we get offended.
That wasn't a troll job. That was blatantly and bluntly disrespecting an opponent after a game you won. Apples and Oranges.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fisher also had the balls to do it before the game rather than from the safety of the outcome, like Arian...I guess he(Arian) learned from Peterson's beatdown by Julio Jones.
Thank you. Anyone who doesn't see the difference here probably never competed or was just one of those kids who offered up a dead fish handshake after the game.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If if was a skiff......

Who cares about yards allowed. The Rams' D played reasonably well, but the score says they gave up more points than did the AZ D. So, 'reasonably well' wasn't good enough, and last nite the AZ D was the better of the 2.

The Rams D was not the same D that showed up the last couple weeks. Granted, they didn't give up any td's, but they did make Drew Freakin' Stanton look like a reasonably decent backup QB...with little dropoff when Lindley (sp?) entered the game. The pass rush was pretty anemic most of the nite. And IMO, as well as the D has played over the last 5-6 weeks, I think they do a less than stellar job of disguising their blitzes. All that.....line up in a base look, run up and crowd the line, and then backpedal like crazy a second before the snap drives me bonkers. And I think it only makes those in movement off balance. I just feel like when they win those battles, it's because they simply won the mano-e-mano battle. I'm probably wrong, but it just doesn't seem like they hardly ever just outfox the opposition with all that moving around.

I don't think its fair to say little dropoff with Lindley. There was HUGE dropoff.

kpak76

I am pretty sure that we have the best QB in the Wild, Wild NFC West, but he has been only active for less than half a season the past two years. I play scenarios in my head of Tavon, Sted, and even Givens getting behind the defensive secondary, and Sam firing laser beam strikes to them before the D has a chance to recover. Both Shaun and AD have to put too much air under the rock and that allows the defense too much time to recover. I can see Cookie taking off in plenty of games with Bradford at the helm. Don't even talk about Kenny and a healthy Brian Quick. Benny Cunningham has assumed the role of the best pass catcher out of the backfield pending Isaiah Pead's possible return.

It's high time Fish threw Coach Bou several bones. We need a starting-caliber center, a starting-caliber guard, another solid guard to back up the oft-dinged Beetlejuice, and possibly a starting-caliber RT if Barksdale walks or if the Horns opt not to retain him. Too bad we couldn't have snared Chris Long's "little" brother a couple season ago. Let Couch Bou train talented linemen instead of trying to extend the NFL life of rethreads, and then let us take over the NFL world!

LOL no you don't. Bradford is like the 3rd best. 2nd best in talent. There is a QB up in Seattle that is MUCH MUCH better than Bradford in both talent and production. Its comical to think you have a better guy, and makes you not a very good judge in talent. He breaks each time he hits the field for Petes sake.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Funny people calling this classless while last week everyone love what Fisher did with the captains saying it was ballsy and loved the feistiness of Fisher. You guys should be happy he called you an 8-8 team, it was meant as a compliment.

2004: 8-8
2005: 6-10
2006: 8-8
2007: 3-13
2008: 2-14
2009: 1-15
2010: 7-9
2011: 2-14
2012: 7-8-1
2013: 7-9
2014: 6-8 best case 8-8

You really signed up to say this? Please go on a year-long vacation in your fucking desert with no water.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Wagoner doesn't get it.
Is Bruce Arians the first NFL head coach in history who wants his due respect from the media? No.
Was it necessary for Brucie to use the Rams in order to get his point across? No. Especially not AFTER the game...a game he won by six points.

Not even Jim the spaz Harbaugh or Pete the flaccid penis Carroll or our Jeff Fisher have thrown pot shots across the bow after a victory(or loss) vs the Rams or anyone else. Because they know the code and because they have the ability to use an ounce of professionalism and sportsmanship and yes RESPECT...even in the heat of the moment. Even if they want to stick it to the media. HC's have the right to speak their mind to the media. They can bark at the media, throw thinly veiled comments about officiating...thats fine. Thats all good....but DON'T disrespect an opponent after a win.

Arians is a straight up classless turd who only had the balls to say what he did for the cameras AFTER a six point victory. I hope they never win another game. I'm hoping they get shellacked by Seattle next week. I hope they get a SF beatdown the week after that...and i'm looking forward to the future coaching fraternity of unspoken backlash that could(should) come back as a result of this fat turds comments.

And everyone on this board knows that i was the first guy to give Arians props months ago for the job he was doing in AZ.
Now I can't wait to send all his QB's into the locker room next season too. Next man up! You figure it out....dick.
I love you, man!

Alan

Legend
spameamil accusing us all:
Funny people calling this classless while last week everyone love what Fisher did with the captains saying it was ballsy and loved the feistiness of Fisher.
You should use the term many instead of all more often. You stand a much greater chance of being right more often. :LOL:
I liked nothing about it. I did like that that trade happened though. (y)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Wagoner doesn't get it.

I'm putting this post up in the smack shack on the AZ board. I may be done there after this. Fuck it. Don't care. I addressed it to Arians not their fans...but i have a feeling it's not going to go over well :)

jap

Legend
LOL no you don't. Bradford is like the 3rd best. 2nd best in talent. There is a QB up in Seattle that is MUCH MUCH better than Bradford in both talent and production. Its comical to think you have a better guy, and makes you not a very good judge in talent. He breaks each time he hits the field for Petes sake.

You mean the QB who won last year's SuperBowl on the strength of his defense, rather than his offensive prowess? The same QB who has struggled against the Rams overtime he plays them (although his last game with them was easily his best to date). A clueless poster like yourself shouldn't be talking about anyone else being a poor judge of talent. Has any QB in recent history ever started off his NFL career with an OL as abysmal as he did and with what was arguably the worst receiving corps in the entire league? Consider that when you see the night & day difference next season.

jap

Legend

{I was tired and obviously not clear-headed when I wrote the first version of this reply. I often wish we were able to make edits indefinitely on this forum. I am used to that capability on every other sports forum I have used in recent years.}

You mean the QB who won last year's SuperBowl on the strength of his defense, rather than his offensive prowess? The same QB who has struggled against the Rams every time he plays them (although his last game with them was easily his best to date). A clueless poster like yourself shouldn't be talking about anyone else being a poor judge of talent.

Has any QB in recent history ever started off his NFL career with an OL as abysmal as Sam Bradford did and with what was arguably the worst receiving corps in the entire league? Yet even with those liabilities, he broke some of Peton Manning's rookie QB records. Consider that when you see the night & day difference in Sam's production next season.[/QUOTE]