Your take on draft day round 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I know we all talk about Snead's drafts as being good but if not for great picks in the 3rd round down, they would have been terrible. Sure we haven't had/made first round selections and guys who might have been good suffered injuries but...

Look at the top 2 players taken every year, then the best of the rest.

Everett - Kupp (probably the best two early picks in combination).....Johnson (3rd), Reynolds (4th)
Noteboom - Allen...........SJD (6th)
Rapp - Henderson.......Gaines (4th), Edwards (5th), Scott (7th)
Akers - Jefferson.......Fuller (6th)
Atwell - Jones..........Brown (4th), Skowronek (7th)
Bruss - Durant.........Williams (5th), Lake (6th)
Avila - Young (right behind Everett - Kupp?)......Turner (3rd), Puka (5th)

Have we had great drafting? Really?

We've acquired talent with our first round or multiple other picks.
Goff, Cooks, Fowler, Ramsey, Miller.

Prior to McVay's arrival, were our first two picks better, the same or worse?

Brockers (1st) - Quick (2nd)
Austin (1st) - Ogletree (1st)
Robinson (1st) - Donald (1st)
Gurley (1st) - Havenstein (2nd)
Goff (1st) - Higbee (2nd)

I'd have to say better but of course there were 7 first round picks in 5 years. Higbee was the lowest pick (#110) and we've only drafted higher than Havenstein (2nd lowest #57) three times in 7 years (Everett #44, Akers #52, Avila #36). Not sure we can say the Rams have been drafting that good. But McVay has managed to make it work.
What is great drafting? What percentage of hits are necessary to be considered great? What's league average?

Without defining these standards there's no way we can say whether Snead is great or not.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
Okay, here's my take. Rams attempt to trade up in draft but it doesn't work out. Rams field calls for trade down scenario but don't like the offers. Plan C commences and they stay at 19. Rams take Latu at 19.

Edit: I've warmed to the idea that Latu could go earlier than 19 but... I actually have a hard time finding a team before us that picks him given the other players on the board, their talent and team needs. Love to see from guys who they think picks Latu before us. Think both he and Verse are there and if there's any medical issues with Latu than we go Verse or Newton. Also, think Dejean prob goes before Latu and Verse.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Latu go to the Falcons at 8. So many say he is the best defender in this class. If they have cleared him medically, he may go before Turner.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I might agree. This goes one of 2 ways they specifically have a targeted trade up player Alt, Odunze, Fashanu and smaller trade up for 1 of the 3 OLBs who they think is the best in the class.

Or they let the draft come to them if Bowers or 1 of the OLBs is there at 19 they take him or they draft down based on the needs and players left where they feel fine taking a couple of players with dropping down 5 spots or so.
This is how I see it too. Makes so much sense.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If we still had that 4th rounder we wouldn't have Dotson.
Did you somehow take my comment as a critique of the Dotson trade?

Because it certainly wasn't.

I'm in the "trade back a little and trade up a little with one of the 5th round picks" people... to get into the 4th round.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Okay, here's my take. Rams attempt to trade up in draft but it doesn't work out. Rams field calls for trade down scenario but don't like the offers. Plan C commences and they stay at 19. Rams take Latu at 19.

Edit: I've warmed to the idea that Latu could go earlier than 19 but... I actually have a hard time finding a team before us that picks him given the other players on the board, their talent and team needs. Love to see from guys who they think picks Latu before us. Think both he and Verse are there and if there's any medical issues with Latu than we go Verse or Newton. Also, think Dejean prob goes before Latu and Verse.
For some reason, I'm lukewarm on him. Maybe it's the fact that he's a Bruin coloring my Cardinal & Gold vision...
But..

A LOT of people really like him, so I wouldn't be complaining one bit if they ended up with him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I wouldn't be surprised to see Latu go to the Falcons at 8. So many say he is the best defender in this class. If they have cleared him medically, he may go before Turner.
I would be very surprised but I don't think you can rule it out completely! That's the fun of the draft!

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I’m predicting the Vikings trade up with the Cards and get their QB. Rams trade up with the Chargers for two 1sts, and Tutu to select Marvin Harrison Jr.

Over the Cap deemed it a win for the chargers; however, that receiving corps would be worth next years 1st,

Fuck them picks.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I’m predicting the Vikings trade up with the Cards and get their QB. Rams trade up with the Chargers for two 1sts, and Tutu to select Marvin Harrison Jr.

Over the Cap deemed it a win for the chargers; however, that receiving corps would be worth next years 1st,

Fuck them picks.
Yeah I’m pretty sure the Chargers would insist on Tutu in that deal.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion

Fuck them picks.
I could get on board with this especially if it didn't include any of the 3rds or the 2nd. Then just hit D with those picks.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What is great drafting? What percentage of hits are necessary to be considered great? What's league average?

Without defining these standards there's no way we can say whether Snead is great or not.
Well it's nice to see so many coming to Snead's defense. Great drafting is getting players who start, star, play complimentary rolls, provide depth all for a team that wins more than it loses. So I guess Snead has drafted very well. Nobody's perfect. And with that in mind lets see how many people criticize the 2024 Rams draft.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For some reason, I'm lukewarm on him. Maybe it's the fact that he's a Bruin coloring my Cardinal & Gold vision...
But..

A LOT of people really like him, so I wouldn't be complaining one bit if they ended up with him.
In the closet, Latu lover! ~ USC Fans

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

So far he’s had more bad to mediocre drafts than he has great to good imo. But seeing as he hasn’t had first round picks, right now, he’s average

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I like his takes. Puni is a really interesting player. He looks to me like a Ravens lineman, all big and somehow manages to stay on blocks. Strangely he's listed the same size as Barton, who looks like a smaller and totally different lineman to me. The way Barton looks small is why I consider him a guard, but I have to admit he is very nimble and natural in his positioning on the edge.

And Fautanu's prob as we've talked about is his upside at guard. He's going to be an epic guard in the NFL and teams are valuing the interior right now.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

Yeah but other teams know that too so someone will just trade up and take him from us, if he were there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I believe they trade up to 13 with the Raiders and the pick is Olu Fashanu OT Penn State.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I've got a feeling that Fashanu will go to the Jets at #10. Not buying the Bowers at #10 hype.
I do believe that Bowers will fall, but if the Jets go tackle, they could go with Fuaga or Fautanu before Fashanu IMHO.