Your take on draft day round 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
May have to be a little careful there.

Just because your research showed sources that had Murphy as a 2nd round prospect, does not mean the NFL talent evaluators and decision-makers rated him there.

Here's an example.
I don't watch college football, so I have no opinions on players. Come the off-season, I read and listen to everything and anything I can to try and gain a consensus of the opinions out there.

Early last off-season, I watched some highlight tape of Calijah Kancey; and commented that he showed unusual explosiveness, and played with strength and leverage. That's all I commented on in starting a thread (it's still there on the Draft Forum ... around page four). Did not predict a high draft pick; and, certainly, did not compare him to Aaron Donald. Just commented that the highlight tape was impressive.

Couple posters pushed-back, and one quoted an experienced draft analyst named Tony Pauline who rated Kancey as a late round pick. Kancey went to Tampa with the slot the Rams currently hold ... #19 overall.
You're right. This is exactly what happened to me. I don't watch college football either so I just picked a name at random (Murphy) to start with. I liked his game but had no idea that what I was seeing is considered top 15 talent.

My head knows better, but in my heart it's hard to shake the original projections I heard.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just think they have to be looking at defensive line / edge. They needed help there before AD retired. It didn't get better since then.

So, really need to go get one of Turner / Verse / Latu / Murphy / Newton / Chop. If that means trading up or allows for a trade down, so be it. But honestly, I'll be disappointed if we don't come away with one of those guys ... Hell, if we get one of those guys at 19 and another one slides, I'm all for packaging our second and third and going up and getting a second.

Murphy and Chop? Yes please!

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
If I had to guess, I’d say Chop since I am pretty certain he will be on the board at 19.

But I think it could go so many ways (beyond trading up/back) like Verse (if he’s there), Penix/Nix, DT, OT, WR or Cooper.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I just think they have to be looking at defensive line / edge. They needed help there before AD retired. It didn't get better since then.
Definitely. But it has to be there and this roster still has a lot of holes. So the Rams probably have a ton of fully planned out scenarios and answers they like best in each.

I don't expect them to hit on mid to late picks in this one. Just hope they get a stud up top and then fill some key roles.

BC Ramfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
BC Ramfan
Definitely. But it has to be there and this roster still has a lot of holes. So the Rams probably have a ton of fully planned out scenarios and answers they like best in each.

I don't expect them to hit on mid to late picks in this one. Just hope they get a stud up top and then fill some key roles.
Maybe foolish, but I do expect them to draft well again, hitting on some late picks.
Maybe not as well as last year (a lot to ask) but thinking they have next level scouting/metrics/draft gameplanning.

BC

WestCoastRam

Legend
Oddly, the most confidence I have is that the Rams land Latu at 19. But only like 45%. And then there are all the other scenarios.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
I feel like Snead is going to make a trade. I personally hope it is either going up for Bowers or going down to get as many picks as possible.

KA210927

Rookie
Name
Kevin
Gotta get in front of Indy, think that's the floor for Bowers.
I think if he gets past the Jets at #10, and then the Vikings with Hockenson won’t take him at #11 , then the Rams HAVE to consider moving up to around #12ish. McVay wants more weapons and Bowers has the potential to be their #1 weapon/option on offense even over Puka and Kupp.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
There are many players I’d be happy to see taken by the Rams in Round 1, including 4 WRs, 3 EDGEs, 2 DTs, 3 OTs, 3 CBs and 1 TE.

There are no QBs, IOL, RBs, ILB or S who I’d take in Round 1 (or 2).

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
You think they pass on Dallas Turner?
Personally, yes, I think so. I think they go Murphy or Latu. I don't think Turner is better then either of them and, given the option, I'm not so sure I go Turner over Chop, but I'd have to give it a long study.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Interesting!

I thought Kancey was said to have played well as a rookie, but, I just looked at his PFF score and good lordy, they thought he played simply awful. 46.6 overall is extremely bad. His run defense got a grade of 29.8. Not sure I've ever seen a score that low. Did he let the RB ride on his back down the field or something?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You think they pass on Dallas Turner?
I think the media like Dallas Turner better than the NFL teams do. I think it was Munson who said that Dallas Turner’s sacks were not impressive. He said they were mainly coverage sacks or chased to him. He said he thinks Turner should be a second round pick.

I know the media types tend to over inflate these guys with elite athleticism that went to big time programs like Alabama.

As for the Falcons, they need pass rush. They also could draft a tackle. I think a lot of teams will try to get them to trade their pick also.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the media like Dallas Turner better than the NFL teams do. I think it was Munson who said that Dallas Turner’s sacks were not impressive. He said they were mainly coverage sacks or chased to him. He said he thinks Turner should be a second round pick.

I know the media types tend to over inflate these guys with elite athleticism that went to big time programs like Alabama.

As for the Falcons, they need pass rush. They also could draft a tackle. I think a lot of teams will try to get them to trade their pick also.
If they want to go edge, trading back is their best option in my opinion

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If they want to go edge, trading back is their best option in my opinion
Unless they want a certain player that is likely to go higher than we think.

I don’t know hardly anything about the character of the draft class. So aside from knowing Ray Davis and Michael Pratt had a tough go of it, I do consider most of the PSU guys to be of high character. Olu and Chop could be Rams fits.

We all know that Snead likes great athletic traits. I’d have to think he loves Murphy’s speed. But is he a fit for the Rams culture?

McVay brought up about how important that culture fit is for the Rams. He brought up what AD said about getting players that care. He even mentioned having like minded coaches. This culture fit could really narrow down the list of players at each level that they see as draftable. It’s one reason I keep coming back to Chop. If they like him why play games and trade back, risking losing him. The media is frequently wrong about a few players every year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Rams pick at 19 I hope is Troy Fautanu. I keep vacillating between Him and Latu, but I keep picturing Fautanu flattening the fuck out of Warner and Greenlaw on run plays. Pancaking Bosa. I want the Rams to be the bullies of the West.

I will settle for Latu sacking Mister Irrelevant for however many years his neck holds up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams stay at 19 and the rumors of them wanting a left tackle are true, then Mims makes sense. He can sit behind Jackson the entire season if need be.

If that rumor was Bs, then I have no thought on which way the Rams go.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
I wonder about Snead possibly trading into the lower part of the first round to double down on Edge. Coming away with both Verse and Latu would really bolster the Rams front.