Your take on draft day round 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Top 100 picks.
2023 we had 3
2022 none
2021 1
2021 3
2020 4
2018 1
2017 3

That's 2.5 a year in the McSnead era we don't have a history of accumulating top 100 picks quite the opposite actually. That's what I was replying to Loyal about.
2020 was a weird draft, disappointing, yet a few of those players had their moments. I think all 4 were talented players, but 2 couldn't stay healthy, well actually all 4 had their careers impacted by injury.

Lewis was a known injury risk and he never overcame it. The other 3 suffered injuries as pros and it was a big reason why they disappointed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2020 was a weird draft, disappointing, yet a few of those players had their moments. I think all 4 were talented players, but 2 couldn't stay healthy, well actually all 4 had their careers impacted by injury.

Lewis was a known injury risk and he never overcame it. The other 3 suffered injuries as pros and it was a big reason why they disappointed.
Great? :) My whole point was replying to somebody else that we haven't had a history of stocking up on top 100 picks. Do you agree or not with my assessment?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's smokescreen season, but I'm believing the bits and pieces from Jeremiah, Allbright, and Schrager. The Rams are going to select an OT and may even trade up for one. Fautanu or Fashanu come on down. You're the next Rams 1st round selection.
Me too.

My odds:

50% OT
25% WR or please baby Jesus we get Bowers
25% Defensive Player

75% we go offense… that’s my dart at the wall.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's smokescreen season, but I'm believing the bits and pieces from Jeremiah, Allbright, and Schrager. The Rams are going to select an OT and may even trade up for one. Fautanu or Fashanu come on down. You're the next Rams 1st round selection.

Me too.

My odds:

50% OT
25% WR or please baby Jesus we get Bowers
25% Defensive Player

75% we go offense… that’s my dart at the wall.

But OT is a pretty good smokescreen, if the Rams are doing that.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Great? :) My whole point was replying to somebody else that we haven't had a history of stocking up on top 100 picks. Do you agree or not with my assessment?
I wasn't responding to your comment or whatever argument that you were making. I was just commenting on the 2020 draft since you pointed out they had 4 top 100 picks. That's all.

More like, hmm yeah they had 4 picks that year and there was some bad luck in those picks.

Now, as to your comment about them not willing to stock pile 1st & 2nd day picks, we'll you normally need a first rd pick to make that happen with trade downs. Tough to accumulate picks when you don't have a 1st and in some cases not even a 2nd rounder to trade back with.

The one year when they did have a 1st (19'), they traded back twice and they stock piled picks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't responding to your comment or whatever argument that you were making. I was just commenting on the 2020 draft since you pointed out they had 4 top 100 picks. That's all.

More like, hmm yeah they had 4 picks that year and there was some bad luck in those picks.

Now, as to your comment about them not willing to stock pile 1st & 2nd day picks, we'll you normally need a first rd pick to make that happen with trade downs. Tough to accumulate picks when you don't have a 1st and in some cases not even a 2nd rounder to trade back with.

The one year when they did have a 1st (19'), they traded back twice and they stock piled picks.
Got it responding to my comment was implying I wasn't saying something right :) At least that's the way I took it.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure how you can say this when he's rarely had more than one or 2 picks in the top 100.
He hasn't had 1st rounder with which to trade since 2016, but Snead does have a history of trading down for picks the last few years and that's what I'm talking about. Why not trade down to the high 20''s to get a 3rd rounder if the talent isn't incredibly different from 19 to 28 (or so) according to the Rams Big Board?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He hasn't had 1st rounder with which to trade since 2016, but Snead does have a history of trading down for picks the last few years and that's what I'm talking about. Why not trade down to the high 20''s to get a 3rd rounder if the talent isn't incredibly different from 19 to 28 (or so) according to the Rams Big Board?
Trading down on day 3 sure. And the only time they've gone into the draft with a 1st they traded down. But the whole top 100 build up they've never done that's all I'm saying. The only thing we know from Snead and the draft is he doesn't like not having a 4th round pick that huge gap is something he will try to change he's even said it exactly for this years draft. The other thing we know is he isn't afraid of a draft day trade.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

I know we all talk about Snead's drafts as being good but if not for great picks in the 3rd round down, they would have been terrible. Sure we haven't had/made first round selections and guys who might have been good suffered injuries but...

Look at the top 2 players taken every year, then the best of the rest.

Everett - Kupp (probably the best two early picks in combination).....Johnson (3rd), Reynolds (4th)
Noteboom - Allen...........SJD (6th)
Rapp - Henderson.......Gaines (4th), Edwards (5th), Scott (7th)
Akers - Jefferson.......Fuller (6th)
Atwell - Jones..........Brown (4th), Skowronek (7th)
Bruss - Durant.........Williams (5th), Lake (6th)
Avila - Young (right behind Everett - Kupp?)......Turner (3rd), Puka (5th)

Have we had great drafting? Really?

We've acquired talent with our first round or multiple other picks.
Goff, Cooks, Fowler, Ramsey, Miller.

Prior to McVay's arrival, were our first two picks better, the same or worse?

Brockers (1st) - Quick (2nd)
Austin (1st) - Ogletree (1st)
Robinson (1st) - Donald (1st)
Gurley (1st) - Havenstein (2nd)
Goff (1st) - Higbee (2nd)

I'd have to say better but of course there were 7 first round picks in 5 years. Higbee was the lowest pick (#110) and we've only drafted higher than Havenstein (2nd lowest #57) three times in 7 years (Everett #44, Akers #52, Avila #36). Not sure we can say the Rams have been drafting that good. But McVay has managed to make it work.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I know we all talk about Snead's drafts as being good but if not for great picks in the 3rd round down, they would have been terrible. Sure we haven't had/made first round selections and guys who might have been good suffered injuries but...

Everett - Kupp (probably the best two early picks in combination).....Johnson (3rd), Reynolds (4th)

I'd have to say better but of course there were 7 first round picks in 5 years. Higbee was the lowest pick (#110) and we've only drafted higher than Havenstein (2nd lowest #57) three times in 7 years (Everett #44, Akers #52, Avila #36). Not sure we can say the Rams have been drafting that good. But McVay has managed to make it work.
I don't feel like looking it up, but I'm sorta curious regarding his track record selecting at the top half of rounds vs. the bottom half or third of rounds.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Recency bias makes me think they've improved at drafting.. but that's recency bias.

I do believe in making more picks and don't like that they don't have a fourth rounder.

Ram65

Legend
I've kept up with the players this year. I have read some posts and looked at some highlights but real deep look.

Lots of different ways Snead and McVay could go. First and foremost is their player personality and dedication to football checklist. It has been a long time since the Rams had a first-round pick so whatever they do they have to get the player that fits their checklist: dedication to football, career production, and team leadership at the college level. If you go by best player that fits their checklist the top positions would be Edge, OT and WR. I have no specific player at this time. Saves me from being too disappointed.

I think the Rams need a pass rusher as my priority.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I'd rather have Worthy than Darius Robinson. This is saying it as a biased Mizzou fan, because even in a biased Mizzou fan's mind, I don't see a first round pick with him.
Luckily it doesn't have to be in between the 2, but, I'd take Robinson well ahead of Worthy. Doubt McVay would though.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have 4/5 of our OL locked in for the next two seasons. Alaric likely won't be re-signed, BUT I have a hard time seeing McVay spending a first rounder on a position that won't play much if at all this year.

I also think McVay wants this to be a Super Bowl contending team - and for that, Latu fits the bill too much.

We also know that the Rams will want a 4th rounder to bridge the gap between our picks.

So I'm thinking a trade up to 14/15/16 where we give a 3rd and 5th or 6th and then get a 4th back.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

Most of these guys contributed in some capacity or another. Darrell Henderson was a big part of the first half of 21, and then in the SB he made some great plays to help push the win.

This is why I LOOOOAAAAATHHHHHHEEEEEEE what the draft has become. But then people list all the players a team takes and uses it to judge a team/gm but the reality is most teams have about the same level of success over time. Yeah some years some team might have a better year than another but it eventually averages out.

Like most of these players will never be "great", the studs are a rarity (why don't all teams have studs top to bottom???). Then the rest you're lucky to get some starting work from some guys for a few years, some depth guys, and then everyone else is JAG, which isn't necessarily a negative.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
And to force a trade down like so many insist we have to do before taking their player. And we miss out and have a new Bobby Wagner story.
Yes one of the biggest disasters in Rams drafting especially since they wanted him but they got greedy and moved down 5 spots only for the Seahawks to draft him me. What we got our RB we took sucked and the extra 5th G had endless mental issues instead we could have had Wagner.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I think the Rams see 19 as no man's land. They're gonna move up or move down. If they move up I think it's Odunze and if they move down I think it's Chop Robinson or AD Mitchell.
I might agree. This goes one of 2 ways they specifically have a targeted trade up player Alt, Odunze, Fashanu and smaller trade up for 1 of the 3 OLBs who they think is the best in the class.

Or they let the draft come to them if Bowers or 1 of the OLBs is there at 19 they take him or they draft down based on the needs and players left where they feel fine taking a couple of players with dropping down 5 spots or so.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Okay, here's my take. Rams attempt to trade up in draft but it doesn't work out. Rams field calls for trade down scenario but don't like the offers. Plan C commences and they stay at 19. Rams take Latu at 19.

Edit: I've warmed to the idea that Latu could go earlier than 19 but... I actually have a hard time finding a team before us that picks him given the other players on the board, their talent and team needs. Love to see from guys who they think picks Latu before us. Think both he and Verse are there and if there's any medical issues with Latu than we go Verse or Newton. Also, think Dejean prob goes before Latu and Verse.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

I see a lotta guys with a ring, several with 2 SB appearances, and a few with 1 SB trip.
…and I’m not talking about benchwarmers, either—Contributors, some in a major role.

I will say what put these rosters over the top were the acquisitions that required a superior set of gonads.
The Rams’ FO is the best it’s been since I’ve been rooting for them—and that’s a very long time.