Your Controversial Rams Takes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And I think Knox should not have been fired after the mud bowl in 1977.

That game was a disaster.
After the 1977 season, Knox left the Rams to coach the Buffalo Bills. Ray applied for the L.A. job, but the Rams hired George Allen instead. He tabbed Ray as his offensive coordinator. Allen was a strict disciplinarian and some Rams stars—most notably linebacker Isiah Robertson—revolted. After two lackluster exhibition games, owner Carroll Rosenbloom fired Allen and promoted Ray to head coach. Colorful and outspoken, Ray was very popular with the players.

The Rams had loads of talent and Ray made the most of it, guiding the team to a 12–4 record in the first year the NFL played a 16-game schedule. The Rams defeated the Vikings in the opening round of the playoffs 34–10, but lost to the Cowboys 28–0 in the NFC Championship. The game was actually a rugged defensive battle until the fourth quarter, when Dallas scored three touchdowns.

The Rams went 9–7 in 1979 and outscored their opponents by just 14 points. They had just enough to hold off a pesky Saints team to win the NFC West, thanks to young Vince Ferragamo, who took over at quarterback after an injury to starter Pat Haden. The Rams edged the Cowboys 21–19 in their opening playoff game, and squeaked by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFC Championship 9–0. Their magical season ended in Super Bowl XIV against the Steelers. L.A. led 19–17 heading into the fourth quarter, but a 73-yard TD pass from Terry Bradshaw to John Stallworth gave Pittsburgh a lead and the Steelers won 31–19.

The Rams went 11–5 in 1980 but followed that up with two losing campaigns. After going 2–7 in the strike-shortened 1982 season, he was fired and replaced by USC coaching legend John Robinson.

FWIW I was never a Ray Malavasi fan, he was very unorganized, but it was his defense in the 1979 playoff game that drove Roger Staubach into retirement, when Ray & Rams DC Bud Carson orchestrated a 4-7 defense with 7 DB's in the game. It suffocated Dallas & Staubach leading the Rams to their first Super Bowl in 1979.

Carroll Rosenbloom after Knox left for Buffalo wanted to hire Bill Walsh from Stanford, but his son Steve, who was the heir apparent was strongly in favor of bringing back George Allen to Los Angeles because according to Steve "All George Allen does is win." It was a mistake and instead of having the future 49er wizard the Rams ended up with Sloppy Ray, who actually fell asleep during a morning radio interview in Los Angeles.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
The Rams went 9–7 in 1979 and outscored their opponents by just 14 points. They had just enough to hold off a pesky Saints team to win the NFC West, thanks to young Vince Ferragamo, who took over at quarterback after an injury to starter Pat Haden.
@den-the-coach - oh no the season is over. Pat's been injured

Tano

Legend
After the 1977 season, Knox left the Rams to coach the Buffalo Bills. Ray applied for the L.A. job, but the Rams hired George Allen instead. He tabbed Ray as his offensive coordinator. Allen was a strict disciplinarian and some Rams stars—most notably linebacker Isiah Robertson—revolted. After two lackluster exhibition games, owner Carroll Rosenbloom fired Allen and promoted Ray to head coach. Colorful and outspoken, Ray was very popular with the players.

The Rams had loads of talent and Ray made the most of it, guiding the team to a 12–4 record in the first year the NFL played a 16-game schedule. The Rams defeated the Vikings in the opening round of the playoffs 34–10, but lost to the Cowboys 28–0 in the NFC Championship. The game was actually a rugged defensive battle until the fourth quarter, when Dallas scored three touchdowns.

The Rams went 9–7 in 1979 and outscored their opponents by just 14 points. They had just enough to hold off a pesky Saints team to win the NFC West, thanks to young Vince Ferragamo, who took over at quarterback after an injury to starter Pat Haden. The Rams edged the Cowboys 21–19 in their opening playoff game, and squeaked by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFC Championship 9–0. Their magical season ended in Super Bowl XIV against the Steelers. L.A. led 19–17 heading into the fourth quarter, but a 73-yard TD pass from Terry Bradshaw to John Stallworth gave Pittsburgh a lead and the Steelers won 31–19.

The Rams went 11–5 in 1980 but followed that up with two losing campaigns. After going 2–7 in the strike-shortened 1982 season, he was fired and replaced by USC coaching legend John Robinson.
That was one hell of a defense in 1978

1684418359026.png

And our offensive line was awesome too

1684418449526.png

What's funny - it looks like Isaiah Robertson lost his starting job that year (or was he injured)

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@den-the-coach - oh no the season is over. Pat's been injured
There are many reasons I could not stand Pat Haden and one of those reasons was he was responsible for getting Allen fired in 1978 and campaigned for Malavasi to be the Head Coach. One of the many reasons that Vince Ferragamo will always be my favorite Rams QB was that he replaced Pat Haden.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Greatest statistical feat by a Ram: Isaac Bruce amassing 3,000+ yards receiving over two years with Chris Miller, Mark Rypien, Tony Banks and Steve Walsh at QB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
One more take: had Stedman Bailey not been shot, he, Coop, and Woods would’ve taken the league by storm. No need for Watkins.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question for Den the Coach... how do you remember all this stuff? Back in the late 70's, I was studying girls, weed, and rock music. I have loved the Rams since 1969 and watched all the games I could, but at a certain age, the hormones took over. Now all I remember is distant memories of those games. Always enjoy reading your history lessons though!!! Brings me back!

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Rod Perry was 5’-10” instead of being 5”-9” the RAMS win Super Bowl IV…that one hurt…a lot!

MV5BYTE3NTExYzMtN2UwYy00MDRhLWE3YTEtZjQ5MTc3NWNlM2MxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODM4MjcwMjk@._V1_.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Great thread btw. It has kept me entertained all morning. :laugh4:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Question for Den the Coach... how do you remember all this stuff? Back in the late 70's, I was studying girls, weed, and rock music. I have loved the Rams since 1969 and watched all the games I could, but at a certain age, the hormones took over. Now all I remember is distant memories of those games. Always enjoy reading your history lessons though!!! Brings me back!
There once was a great Rams QB, from the University of Southern California... ~ @den-the-coach

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There are many reasons I could not stand Pat Haden and one of those reasons was he was responsible for getting Allen fired in 1978 and campaigned for Malavasi to be the Head Coach. One of the many reasons that Vince Ferragamo will always be my favorite Rams QB was that he replaced Pat Haden.
I think the board may need to pitch in and get you a psychologist.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, I was born in September of 1966 so you know my age, but I have been blessed with a great memory and thus is why I am a historian. Plus I love researching too so there is that. Growing up I was a jock too concerned of what I put in my body so weed was not an option, but my Uncle who was 4 years my senior did enough for both of us.

To this day I enjoy screwing with my Uncle because I remember friends of his, he has long forgotten. With the Rams it is just in my head plus I know where to go to ensure my information is accurate too.