WR Josh Gordon traded to Patriots for a 5th

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys are getting too touchy-feels about Gordon. NFL teams don’t have to coddle any player no matter what his problems are. They only do it to any degree if he is insanely talented, as you can see the Browns have finally said “no mas”. There is no consideration given joe-schmoe UDFA on drugs, etc...They are just gone. The privilege of playing the NFL lasts on average about 3 years for most. It’s an opportunity to exploit, or to squander. Looks like we know Gordon’s choice.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Gordon hurt his hammy at a promo shoot and lied about it. He didn’t fail any drug tests. Likely just the last straw for Cleveland. Word is San Fran could be a likely destination. I hope that doesn’t happen.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That makes more sense. I didn't know about all those substances or game time use. I maintain my opinion that the leagues policy on marijuana use is unfair and hypocritical, but sounds like a lot more going on beside some off time recreational use.

LOL he says he will never forget his time there..........except for the times he was so high he can't remember.

It shouldn't be a rule, but it is. All the players know it's a rule. If a player wants to choose weed over an NFL career, then he's a fool.
They can smoke all they want in a few, short years when their career is over.
Or they can smoke now and go work at a car lot

Players are only tested once a year, and the window for testing is from a date in spring to training camp, late April to mid-late July. So they know when it's coming. Most tests are done at camp in July because all the players are there and the costs are MUCH lower than sending someone out to each players house. And if you think about it we hear about failed tests a lot in that time period. It isn't like PED testing which is random.

All a player has to do is stop smoking weed for a month prior, say June 1st, and they will test clean...........then they can smoke all they want for nearly the next year. Players who fail this test are pretty stupid.

Unfair and hypocritical or not it's the rule per the CBA and players have to abide by it. If they want to change it badly enough they will have that opportunity in the next negotiations it's all a question of what they're willing to concede to do it.

IIRC the NFL was willing to do a trade off for more stringent and in depth testing for PED's the likes of which the Olympics and some other sports use. The Union wouldn't agree to it I guess.

I think in the next CBA will see testing for weed removed.

When in his right mind this dude is a top 5 reciever

If we look at his game logs that doesn't hold up though.

He had a remarkable stretch in 2013, simply fantastic, but outside of that handful of games that season he's been decent and that's pretty much the story. He has a very low catch rate too.

It's a case of a guy being a physical freak because he is really big and really fast.

If we look at "averages" we will see the real story.

In order for a WR to rack up 1000 yards he has to average 63 per game. Gordon has played 41 games and reached a yardage total higher than 63 21 times, and had yardage totals lower than that 20 times. He has 17 games where he didn't even reach 50 yards.

He has this rep that is a mirage really, based on a 4 game stretch in 2013 where he gained 774 yards of his carer 3106. So he gained 25% of his lifetime total in 4 games. If you look at his 8 game stretch that year it equals 1097 yards. A spectacular run for sure and he has never come anywhere close to it before or since. It was literally just like his nickname......flash.

Factor those 4 games out and he averages 63 yards a game. Factor out the 8 game stretch, and by the way he has a 21 yard game and a 44 yard game sandwiched in there and you get 61 yards per game. That isn't a top 5 guy. Then you have to consider he was the teams #1 WR. That type of production isn't that great, it's pretty decent but no more.

He's a guy who can play in the NFL, but there are plenty of players like him, usually about 20 a year have that level of production.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Gordon hurt his hammy at a promo shoot and lied about it. He didn’t fail any drug tests. Likely just the last straw for Cleveland. Word is San Fran could be a likely destination. I hope that doesn’t happen.

ESPN is saying Dallas or SF.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IIRC the NFL was willing to do a trade off for more stringent and in depth testing for PED's the likes of which the Olympics and some other sports use. The Union wouldn't agree to it I guess.

Interesting speculation, we'll see what each side wants during the next negotiations if they let it happen in public. Most of the time we just hear rumors and speculation and rarely get the details.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Interesting speculation, we'll see what each side wants during the next negotiations if they let it happen in public. Most of the time we just hear rumors and speculation and rarely get the details.

Yeah for sure who knows if the writer that did the article was speculating or actually had some inside info.

I think the NFL and NBA will take it off the testing list pretty soon.

Whether one agrees or not at some point you have to come to the realization that about 75% of the players in those leagues probably do it.

If it was a privately or publicly held company a responsible business owner would have to conclude that testing for something that employees are doing and easily hiding that has no real effect on their work becomes a waste of resources. And I think the NFL and NBA will end up looking at it that way soon too.

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1041313704334295040

I hope Dallas, I don't need him catching crap ton of touchdowns for the Whiners before his inevitable suspension.

No worries about that since he only has 16 TD catches in his career. And again if you factor out the amazing 8 game run where he had 6 he only has 10 in the other 33 games.

For all I care he can go to the 49ers, he will suck as often as he is good.

He's been to rehab at least 4 times that we know of, he needs to go to a place that specializes in near hopeless cases so he can reclaim himself. He's a complete mess of a human being. He had to be sued over paternity after hiding from the subpoenas for over a year, has another child with another woman and isn't paying child support. One of the mothers is on welfare and for 3 years the turd hasn't helped despite the court order.

There are rumors in CLE that say the reason the Browns are done with him is that he isn't holding up his end of the bargain so to speak, not that he failed another test.

The truth will come out eventually of course. Either way fuck him.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Patriots don't sign knuckleheads....This young man needs to check himself into a clinic for a year, not 30 days or 45 days, but one year and get his life on track. Football should be secondary and might be part of the problem because he knows it's always there....If Gordon does not get help soon, he will self destruct. Now I'm basing that it's more than just marijuana, but either way, he really needs to save himself and work on getting serious help.

Pats don’t put up with knucklehead behavior but they will take a shot on guys like Blount, Moss, Britt, Ochocinco and others, sometimes it works sometimes not.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It just says desperation to me, and that's not a good look. How can anyone trust him not to self destruct, especially come playoff time?

Of course it's desperation. There are a bunch of teams that feel they are one player away from either contending for a playoff spot, or contending for the Super Bowl. They may have thought going into training camp they had a real deep threat, and then realized that it wasn't filled in. There are careers on the line in some cases, if they don't win. That leads to desperation. I'm sure teams would rather trade for a more stable receiver - but that's not what is suddenly available. What is available is Gordon. Meanwhile, these men who have spent their adult lives maneuvering to become a GM or a HC see it at risk, or after years of building a team see themselves just short, or in SF's case, not wanting their investment in an overrated QB to look bad the first season. So they will at least consider a desperation move.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You guys are getting too touchy-feels about Gordon. NFL teams don’t have to coddle any player no matter what his problems are. They only do it to any degree if he is insanely talented, as you can see the Browns have finally said “no mas”. There is no consideration given joe-schmoe UDFA on drugs, etc...They are just gone. The privilege of playing the NFL lasts on average about 3 years for most. It’s an opportunity to exploit, or to squander. Looks like we know Gordon’s choice.

People deserve a second chance, sometimes even a third if that gets the message through.

In Gordon's case he is a lifelong fuck-up. Since he was a young teenager.

He got kicked out of one High School and had to go to another, joined a gang in HS by the way and was a criminal (by his own admission) stealing cars, armed robbery and drug dealing.

He got kicked out of one college because of drugs, and says he was selling tons of weed at the time. He had to transfer to another school where he left without playing since he was not eligible for that season.

He gets passed over by everyone in the draft, was lucky enough that the Browns picked him in the supplemental draft and still can't keep his shit together.

I don't know why ANY team would want a POS like this on the roster. Everything he does makes a messs out of his life and in some cases other peoples lives.

It's no wonder he and Manziel are friends and hang out.

For some reason he elicits sympathy because he keeps repeating the same mantra every other POS does by saying "I just want to be better".

Well fuck you Josh, when you mean it you won't need to say it to anyone, you'll just get better.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pats don’t put up with knucklehead behavior but they will take a shot on guys like Blount, Moss, Britt, Ochocinco and others, sometimes it works sometimes not.

That exact post is what I should have posted....Thank you sir!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
People deserve a second chance, sometimes even a third if that gets the message through.

In Gordon's case he is a lifelong freak-up. Since he was a young teenager.

He got kicked out of one High School and had to go to another, joined a gang in HS by the way and was a criminal (by his own admission) stealing cars, armed robbery and drug dealing.

He got kicked out of one college because of drugs, and says he was selling tons of weed at the time. He had to transfer to another school where he left without playing since he was not eligible for that season.

He gets passed over by everyone in the draft, was lucky enough that the Browns picked him in the supplemental draft and still can't keep his crap together.

I don't know why ANY team would want a POS like this on the roster. Everything he does makes a messs out of his life and in some cases other peoples lives.

It's no wonder he and Manziel are friends and hang out.

For some reason he elicits sympathy because he keeps repeating the same mantra every other POS does by saying "I just want to be better".

Well freak you Josh, when you mean it you won't need to say it to anyone, you'll just get better.
If seems you have a bit of misplaced anger towards Gordon, man.

And a few things to get straight, he has a low catch percentage because he's played for the...Browns! He's missed as many games as they've had starting QBs. A team so futile didn't need to sit on his talents for the last 6 years hoping the stars would align for him to get his head straight. They could have used the picks and traded him at any time.

Why are they done now? Well, they have the pieces in place. He's replaceable. And Jackson drew a line in the sand in front of national TV audiences with Calloway. His hands were tied over this player.

Not every team passed over him before the draft. That's not how that works. He was suspended from Baylor missed a deadline to transfer to Utah and then entered the supplemental draft. And all of this is without me saying the Rams should target this guy, they won't and I don't think they will. All I'm saying is everything he's said and done has shown me he's remorseful for what he's done and has been fighting hard to get his life right.

I damn sure hope he does!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And a few things to get straight, he has a low catch percentage because he's played for the...Browns! He's missed as many games as they've had starting QBs. A team so futile didn't need to sit on his talents for the last 6 years hoping the stars would align for him to get his head straight. They could have used the picks and traded him at any time.

Why are they done now? Well, they have the pieces in place. He's replaceable. And Jackson drew a line in the sand in front of national TV audiences with Calloway. His hands were tied over this player.

Not every team passed over him before the draft. That's not how that works. He was suspended from Baylor missed a deadline to transfer to Utah and then entered the supplemental draft. And all of this is without me saying the Rams should target this guy, they won't and I don't think they will. All I'm saying is everything he's said and done has shown me he's remorseful for what he's done and has been fighting hard to get his life right.

I damn sure hope he does!
Well, of course. I imagine all of us want the kid to get his life on track, but that doesn’t mean teams have to cut such a person, multiple breaks. Opportunity waits for no man, and if the consequence is that Josh Gordon gets his life straight now, or ten years from now, is not the fault of the NFL. Actions have consequences for all of us.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If all of Josh Gordon's problems have been about marijuana then I actually feel for the guy. I know some won't agree with me but a guy smoking some weed on his time off is a garbage reason to destroy his career. If there's more to it than that then I can understand but nobody will ever convince me that the NFL's (who promote alcohol use) policy on weed is fair.
I’m sorry but the idea that a guy smoking a little weed on his day off is the story here is simply laughable. And frankly, I know lots of people who smoke weed and used to myself for many years. If you smoke a lot of it, you are more sluggish than if you stop - PERIOD. If someone denies that, they are denying reality.

Don’t get me wrong. Alcohol will do the same thing and even worse if abused. But this notion that weed is such a great thing actually pisses me off. Should it be illegal? Probably not. Is it a drug? Abso-fucking-lutely. Should the NFL test for it? Up to them.

There are plenty of businesses that have a policy barring weed. Fair or unfair, he has to comply with it. Refusing to stop smoking weed is his choice. And he gets to face the consequences for it.
Exactly.

I will say that I am not a big believer in drug testing. You either can do your job or you can’t has always been my policy.

Players are only tested once a year, and the window for testing is from a date in spring to training camp, late April to mid-late July.
I’m not so sure this holds for players that have previously pissed dirty. If I recall right, they are subjected to random testing for however long. In Gordon’s case, it should have been weekly.
It may. I wouldn’t be surprised though if it was still in there though. It’s really about the only way to prevent players from showing up stoned. Again though... you can either do your job or you can’t. But if you are doing your job at a lower level....

If it was a privately or publicly held company a responsible business owner would have to conclude that testing for something that employees are doing and easily hiding that has no real effect on their work becomes a waste of resources.
I’m sorry but the whole “has no effect” idea is silly. I agree with the waste of resources notion. Weed can stay in your system for a long time. But what can be done is levels testing. It sets a bench mark so that you are weeding (pun intended) out constant users. And only constant pot smokers think they are performing at a normal level when stoned or after smoking pot daily.

It’s comical really. I know a lot of pot smokers. They smoke every day and several times during the day. If they were drinking, everyone including them would say they have a problem. But because it is pot and chique these days, it’s not. Yeah.. yeah it is.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m sorry but the idea that a guy smoking a little weed on his day off is the story here is simply laughable. And frankly, I know lots of people who smoke weed and used to myself for many years. If you smoke a lot of it, you are more sluggish than if you stop - PERIOD. If someone denies that, they are denying reality.

Don’t get me wrong. Alcohol will do the same thing and even worse if abused. But this notion that weed is such a great thing actually pisses me off. Should it be illegal? Probably not. Is it a drug? Abso-freaking-lutely. Should the NFL test for it? Up to them.

Exactly.

I will say that I am not a big believer in drug testing. You either can do your job or you can’t has always been my policy.

I’m not so sure this holds for players that have previously ticked dirty. If I recall right, they are subjected to random testing for however long. In Gordon’s case, it should have been weekly.

It may. I wouldn’t be surprised though if it was still in there though. It’s really about the only way to prevent players from showing up stoned. Again though... you can either do your job or you can’t. But if you are doing your job at a lower level....

I’m sorry but the whole “has no effect” idea is silly. I agree with the waste of resources notion. Weed can stay in your system for a long time. But what can be done is levels testing. It sets a bench mark so that you are weeding (pun intended) out constant users. And only constant pot smokers think they are performing at a normal level when stoned or after smoking pot daily.

It’s comical really. I know a lot of pot smokers. They smoke every day and several times during the day. If they were drinking, everyone including them would say they have a problem. But because it is pot and chique these days, it’s not. Yeah.. yeah it is.
RamFan503 = Reformed PotHead!:fighting:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah... I’m not sure that is what Les has. :sneaky:

Seriously though.... I think more what he is saying, and I completely agree if he is, is that the guy is not the all world, team improving player he’s being made out to be and he is also probably going to bring excess baggage with him. He’s a bad gamble and has demonstrated nothing that says he is a team changer to the plus side.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
RamFan503 = Reformed PotHead!:fighting:
It’s funny really. I even have a bunch of weed here in the house. A buddy of mine grows it as a hobby. He doesn’t smoke it or sell it. He just likes the plant and gives the results away. I made some very mild jellies for my psychotic dog (makes him tolerable on road trips) but rarely smoke or injest any myself. I end up regifting most of what my buddy gives me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s funny really. I even have a bunch of weed here in the house. A buddy of mine grows it as a hobby. He doesn’t smoke it or sell it. He just likes the plant and gives the results away. I made some very mild jellies for my psychotic dog (makes him tolerable on road trips) but rarely smoke or injest any myself. I end up regifting most of what my buddy gives me.
*PO BOX 123
Bumfukk, KS

(If you have extra, ya know:rockon:)

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe

Don’t get me wrong. Alcohol will do the same thing and even worse if abused. But this notion that weed is such a great thing actually pisses me off. Should it be illegal? Probably not. Is it a drug? Abso-freaking-lutely. Should the NFL test for it? Up to them

No need to get so hot and bothered RamFan503. I didn't even dispute any of the points you made here so I'm not sure why the quote and angry response. I didn't say weed was a great thing, that it's not a drug, or that it can't make somebody sluggish. I wasn't aware of the other substances and problems that are attributed to Gordon and once it was brought to my attention I posted a more understanding response to that.

I simply argued that the NFL's rules on marijuana use and testing was unfair. My point stands. Just because the NFL can do it doesn't make it right. My employer doesn't dictate what I do on my spare time as long as I show up to work sober and perform my job at an acceptable level.

Clearly there's more going on with Gordon than marijuana so it's a moot point.