Would you trade two firsts for Cam Newton?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you trade two firsts for Cam Newton?

• Yes

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • No

Votes: 68 67.3%

• Total voters

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's amazing to me that some of the same posters who can understand all that Bradford didn't have around him can't seem to recognize the same for non Rams QBs.
Probably because some of them don't follow the Panthers that closely. I kind of make it a habit to look for anomalies or trends in and around QBs when I see statistics that don't make any sense to me. Same with head coaches. What you say about his cast is correct, but I still don't like that cat (no pun intended).

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Before the accident----Yes

He had a pretty great year in 2013 with a pretty mediocre supporting cast. When you factor in that they turned his recieving corp over this year and his numbers are on par with 2013, it's hard not to see he is a pretty good QB.

Rams0307

Counting Sunday's game, Newton will have missed a total of 2 games in four years. And one of the two was due to a gnarly car accident.

No doubt, but he's been dealing cracked ribs and now a back injury from the car accident. I've seen Carolina fans worry that he's taking too much of a beating, and hasn't looked the same this year.

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I don't think I would, I value first round picks to much. The Rams have gone from a 15-65 team to a very talented team with just a few more gaps to plug through really just 3 drafts. Keep feeding the beast through the draft. Snisher will figure out the qb position.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
As much as I'd like this to happen, he's the face of that franchise and he's not getting moved.

Damn you for getting my hopes up.

lockdnram21

Legend
I would give them a first and a conditional 3rd that will turn into 2nd if he gets at least 30 tds and less then 15 interceptions

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I think a lot of the people saying "no" are the same people who'd be overjoyed and convince themselves it's the best deal ever if it actually happened.

It'll never happen. But if it did, I'd be ecstatic. I think he's about equal to Bradford as a passer (with the potential to get much better), and his legs would do freaking wonders for this offense. Not to mention, he doesn't have the season-ending injury concerns.

Two first rounders? Absolutely I'd do it, and you'd be a fool not to take that deal. It'd be one thing if we needed to totally revamp the roster, but we don't. We can get our long-term quarterback, and we still have the Round 2-7 picks to fill the less vital holes on the roster. If this deal was on the table... NO-BRAINER. I'd trade both 1st rounders and Bradford to Carolina in a heartbeat.

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
I think a lot of the people saying "no" are the same people who'd be overjoyed and convince themselves it's the best deal ever if it actually happened.

It'll never happen. But if it did, I'd be ecstatic. I think he's about equal to Bradford as a passer (with the potential to get much better), and his legs would do freaking wonders for this offense. Not to mention, he doesn't have the season-ending injury concerns.

Two first rounders? Absolutely I'd do it, and you'd be a fool not to take that deal. It'd be one thing if we needed to totally revamp the roster, but we don't. We can get our long-term quarterback, and we still have the Round 2-7 picks to fill the less vital holes on the roster. If this deal was on the table... NO-BRAINER. I'd trade both 1st rounders and Bradford to Carolina in a heartbeat.
Not me.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

I guess I'd be the fool. I don't rate him near the passer that you do. Two firsts is two much for any QB south of Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I'd be the fool. I don't rate him near the passer that you do. Two firsts is two much for any QB south of Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck.

What? If we're discounting age, any of the top 10-14 QBs in the NFL are worth two first round picks...easily.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
An interesting discussion popped up on another site I post on so I thought I'd ask people here.

Now, the odds of Newton being available don't seem high. But if he were available, would you be willing to trade our 2015 and 2016 1st round picks for Cam Newton?

I would. He's not Brady or Manning but I think he's a level above Kaepernick and with Newton, we'd be a legitimate contender.

Now, here's one issue...Newton is owed $14.7 million in 2015 and then is a free agent after the season so we'd have to re-sign him to what is likely a lucrative deal.

On the other site, there opinions were mixed. I think it's an interesting question because he's just good enough that you're intrigued but not great enough where it's a slam dunk and the contract is something that is worth considering.

What say you, ROD?

Oh hell no.
I would not even consider that.
I would not even trade 1 first for him.
And that is not even considering his recent injury and what impact that might have on his carrier.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh hell no.
I would not even consider that.
I would not even trade 1 first for him.
And that is not even considering his recent injury and what impact that might have on his carrier.

Who are we going to get in the mid first round at QB this year that is as good as Newton?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Who are we going to get in the mid first round at QB this year that is as good as Newton?
LEE.gif

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Shhhhhhhhhhh!

Seriously though - I don't see his game translating. I see him sail a bunch of passes when pressured and his footwork is a little jumpy for me. Dude has a seriously quick trigger though and throws some real darts from a couple of different angles. I think he had probably the best O-line in the Pac 12 though so I have to wonder how it will work out in the pros. If he can find his windows, the guy could be pretty good. I just don't think the windows will be near as huge at the next level.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think two first rounders would be too rich - especially with not knowing how the injury will manifest itself. I am not saying that I would be really disappointed. I'm not sure what beyond having a big ego he has done that couldn't be forgiven. I like the skills he has but I'm skeptical of his mental toughness at times. Of course that is really hard to say in that he has been dealt largely a shit hand since coming to this league. No woe is Newton here - just that the team seems to have not given him many weapons. Sound familiar?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Shhhhhhhhhhh!

Seriously though - I don't see his game translating. I see him sail a bunch of passes when pressured and his footwork is a little jumpy for me. Dude has a seriously quick trigger though and throws some real darts from a couple of different angles. I think he had probably the best O-line in the Pac 12 though so I have to wonder how it will work out in the pros. If he can find his windows, the guy could be pretty good. I just don't think the windows will be near as huge at the next level.
That's the case with all college kids though. Bradford had a TREMENDOUS supporting cast and a beast running game. I just look at what I think are intangibles that can be coached up even better. He (IMO) has Manning-like feet, good escapability, sees the whole field, has a great delivery, and good maneuverability. Just don't know if he's declaring yet.