Would you trade two firsts for Cam Newton?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Would you trade two firsts for Cam Newton?

• Yes

Votes: 33 32.7%
  • No

Votes: 68 67.3%

• Total voters

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Yep. But people also ignore that he's only a sophomore. Kid has unreal talent. He's got issues too but I'd take a risk on that kid.(if he passes the character test)

He's trade up material.

Dan Marino threw 23 Ints as a Senior. Ints wouldn't keep me from drafting the guy.

I don't know if Fisher would. 17 wouldn't necessarily stop me if the TD/INT ratios were ok. 40 and 17 is fine. 24 and 17 isn't.

NukeRam

I test nuclear weapons
Name
Mike
No way! Egomaniac. They can be down by forty but he still does his superman thing when he gets in the end zone. I think he is the M & E in TEAM.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think the question I would ask before trading 2 1st for Newton is, "who else could I get for 2 firsts?" If a person were high on Carr for example he'd probably come much cheaper than that. After this season Kaperdouche would be cheaper than that I think (personally it's no at any price for him.) The Newton deal doesn't seem like one most NFL teams would make.

Simba

Rookie
IMO we really need a qb like him.I don't know how much money he would, but without Sam, we have a big salary cap space and we could hire some OLM from FA too.Luckily we don't have many holes to fill with draft 2015 so we could build a good roster very simply.But, and this is the first thing, we need a runner qb (not just runner obviously).Especially if we continue with Shotty. We need an help from qb, when our offense is in trouble.A static qb in this NFL, doesn't help.

Athos

Legend
I don't think he is a failed QB. Guy has a Bradford esque supporting cast this year. Last year, he put up 30 total TDs to 14 TOs and his team won 12 games.

He's not Manning or Brady or Rodgers but he is an above average QB who still has potential.

Plus, I'm assuming that two firsts isn't enough to move up for the QB I want. And Winston/Mariota aren't a sure thing either.

Yep. The offense around him is filth.

An O-Line 5x as bad as ours, one legitimate WR, and a whole bunch of meh from the RB position.

With Newton though, I think you have to turn him into the Russell Wilson style runner when he takes off. Dude has to learn when to slide rather than take on contact or he won't be long for this league even with his body size.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
No! He'd have to Truly be "Superman" for me to send two 1st round picks for him! I don't like giving up picks at any-time though.(y) Newton is only average in My eyes!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. But people also ignore that he's only a sophomore. Kid has unreal talent. He's got issues too but I'd take a risk on that kid.(if he passes the character test)

He's trade up material.

Dan Marino threw 23 Ints as a Senior. Ints wouldn't keep me from drafting the guy.
Couple of things
1) saying he's only a sophomore doesn't excuse his the precipitous drop off in numbers. Had the trajectory of his numbers increased to where they are now that would be one thing. Going the opposite way is another, and it's a red flag for sure.
2) Dan Marino? Really? I guess we could point to the fact that he was the 6th qb drafted so in fact he was passed up. But the reality is that he dropped over whispers that he was a coke head party animal.

As for Newton, I wouldn't trade for him if Shotty was still going to be OC.
And no way for 2 firsts

Memphis Ram

Legend
Even though Newton knows the Auburn offense I'd like to see the Rams pickup, I wouldn't trade two first round picks for him.

BTW, I found an interesting pre-draft description of him.

OVERVIEW
Newton is one of the most athletically gifted quarterbacks in draft history. Possesses a quick, clean release, enough arm strength to complete the deep out, prototypical size, and is a dangerous threat outside of the pocket. However, he has a ways to go before turning into a productive, reliable NFL starter. Was not asked to make pro-style reads or move through progressions in college. Footwork is sloppy and accuracy is inconsistent. He's competitive and vocal on the field, but has had several off-the-field issues and his character is in question. Despite the risk, Newton's talent will likely prevent him from lasting past the middle of the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/cam-newton?id=2495455

Yet he too, has had success in the NFL.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
85.4 career rating, 59.5 comp percentage, 28-31 as a starter. If he was a third round pick they would be keeping an eye out for their QB of the future. Those career stats aren't far off Hill's if I'm not mistaken.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Haven't all of the "running QB's" dropped off the last year or two? Has the league caught up to the schoolyard success that these guys all burst onto the scene with?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd give that up in a heartbeat(if he passed the character test). But many people here wouldn't agree.

Jrry he has already failed the charachter test. Now a lot of teams in the NFL don't give a shit about that and we know that but it isn't fair to say "If" when he has already been graded and failed.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Haven't all of the "running QB's" dropped off the last year or two? Has the league caught up to the schoolyard success that these guys all burst onto the scene with?

I'm with you and you and I have had these discussion over the years on the Herd. Running QB's eventually collapse. I think Newton has lasted longer because of his size and strength and it seems to me that typically after 1-3 years these types of guys end up gone or as a backup somewhere.

iced

If Cam Newton couldn't make his players better in Carolina w/1 receiver and no o-line, why should I expect him to do it here?

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Yes. The faster the LBers get the worse they become. Teams are also getting more disciplined about staying home and keeping them in front. You see more spying the QB with fast LBers or safeties such as Barron. The pass capable scrambling QB such as Wilson and Luck seem to have better success now.