Would you guys draft Orlando Brown at #23?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Brown is an ox. Don't get fooled by the bench press.

It's not just the bench press. Or the lack of speed. It's also that sources said he was yelled at by the position coach at the combine for lack of effort.

His lack of quickness may doom him against nfl speed rushers, too.

I know he's taller than the typical guard, but it wouldn't shock me if he ended up going the Robert Gallery route - ending up as a Guard anyway. If, in fact, he can be made to make a consistent effort in training.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
FWIW, I watched much of the combine and the position coaches running these players through the drills were yelling a lot at most everybody. Especially the linebackers, because many of them came from college programs where they did not have to drop back in coverage. They were not familiar with the drills so coaches were always yelling at them to run. Not making excuses or claiming anything here, but getting yelled at was a common thing at the combine and not always for bad reasons.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not just the bench press. Or the lack of speed. It's also that sources said he was yelled at by the position coach at the combine for lack of effort.

His lack of quickness may doom him against nfl speed rushers, too.

I know he's taller than the typical guard, but it wouldn't shock me if he ended up going the Robert Gallery route - ending up as a Guard anyway. If, in fact, he can be made to make a consistent effort in training.

How much of Brown's film have you watched? I'm just curious.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Speed rushers are absolutely going to kill him in the NFL, based on what I see. They gave him a lot of help on outside rushers, but when he did go one on one with a guy rushing, he didn't look good. If he gets his hands on you, it's a different story, and he does have functional strength. His kick slide is way too short, and slow. I wouldn't take him.

Luckily, at the NFL level, they have these things called "position coaches". And with it being the next level and all, they're better than the level he was just at.

Sorry for the snark, but sheesh. We can't talk about these collegiate players as if they're finished products. Otherwise, we'd only need 2-3 rounds of a draft because we'd know everything we needed to know.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Luckily, at the NFL level, they have these things called "position coaches". And with it being the next level and all, they're better than the level he was just at.

Sorry for the snark, but sheesh. We can't talk about these collegiate players as if they're finished products. Otherwise, we'd only need 2-3 rounds of a draft because we'd know everything we needed to know.
Very snarky indeed. I don't think just technique is his issue, to be blunt, I don't think he has the movement skills, or ability to play at a high level in the NFL. You may like him, but I don't. It's nothing personal. I'd rather take someone, even more raw, but with ability, so yeah, I believe in coaching.

By the way, the thread title is literally, Would you guys draft Brown at #23?

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How much of Brown's film have you watched? I'm just curious.

Not as much as you, I'm sure. But a fair bit. Besides YouTube, it's hard to avoid OU games here in Oklahoma, and people email highlights and insist on discussing them, so I try to keep up. Even my wife watches the games since my stepson was in the marching band.

Incidentally, in the Zierlein analysis that you posted earlier in this thread, the one "Former NFL offensive line coach" quoted, after praising his long arms, said that he'd be nervous leaving him alone at left tackle without help. This was from before the combine.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not as much as you, I'm sure. But a fair bit. Besides YouTube, it's hard to avoid OU games here in Oklahoma, and people email highlights and insist on discussing them, so I try to keep up. Even my wife watches the games since my stepson was in the marching band.

Incidentally, in the Zierlein analysis that you posted earlier in this thread, the one "Former NFL offensive line coach" quoted, after praising his long arms, said that he'd be nervous leaving him alone at left tackle without help. This was from before the combine.

That's fine. I just wasn't sure if your opinion was 100% based on the Combine or not.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand why people wouldn't want Brown at #23. I don't want him at #23. But those of you who refuse to take him with our 3rd round pick are cray-cray. The guy has plenty of film against top competition. Watch his film against UGA. I had him down as losing one snap as a pass blocker the entire game. He's going to need to improve his body and iron out some technical kinks, but we're not drafting him to start. He'll get a year or two behind Whitworth to work on his game with Kromer and learn from Whit.

Here are some gifs that I feel are worth posting:
giphy.gif

What is Roquan Smith doing? How are you going to let a guy with a 5.8 40 put you on the ground?
giphy.gif

How are you going to let a guy who is slow as molasses pull from the other side of the OL and flatten you?
giphy.gif

Roquan, how do you let Tubby McSlowascrap pull around to push you around like a child?
giphy.gif

Not again, Roquan. Who forgot to tell Roquan that Brown is slow as hell?
giphy.gif

Somebody forgot to tell this UGA DL that Big #78 is manhandling that he could only do 14 BP reps.
giphy.gif

Well, that pass rush plan didn't work too well. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
giphy.gif

Well shoot, Bosa, you'd think the most unathletic OT in Combine history would be a little easier to run around.
giphy.gif

On second thought, let's go back to trying to run around him. I don't think going through him is any easier, Bosa.
giphy.gif

Don't feel bad, Malik Jefferson, he got Roquan Smith too.
giphy.gif

I bet that Texas DL feels bad that Son of Zeus pushed him around like a blocking sled.
giphy.gif

I don't think you're supposed to stick to the LT like glue, Texas DE.
giphy.gif

Imagine the push Brown could get if he could do 15 BP reps.
giphy.gif

I don't think you're supposed to let one player block half your defense.
giphy.gif

Hmmm . . . I'm thinking the bull rush isn't the best plan here.
giphy.gif

I applaud the attempt to attack the edge, but that didn't work out too well either.
giphy.gif

Yea, the bull rush still seems like not the best plan.
giphy.gif

You'd think Carl Lawson, a guy who put up 8.5 sacks in 2017 as a rookie, would be able to run right by the world's slowest OT.
giphy.gif

But he runs a 5.8 40?!?!?! He's not supposed to be able to do that.
giphy.gif

It would have been nice to warn Carlton Davis that the world's slowest freight train was coming right at him.
giphy.gif

To be fair, Tyquan Lewis (the DE) is only projected to be a 4th round pick.

It's so odd that the Combine's most unathletic man is able to make blocks on the second level and in space. It's very odd that he can handle NFL caliber pass rushers. It's even more odd that Mr. 14 BP Reps can manhandle DLs.

Brown isn't a perfect prospect by any means, but people are putting way too much stock in the Combine.

P.S. Joey Bosa's brother, Nick, is really effing good. He's going to be a top 5 pick too. Like Joey, he's got the full toolset as an edge rusher.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

So why not get back to a bunch of rounds? Seems like a win for the NFL, the fans, and potentially the players.

Hell... Dwight Clark was a 10th round pick. How fun would it be to track all that? The mocks would be completely ridiculous! :D

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I do think Brown benefited from his size at the college level more than he will in the NFL. That said, to not put a 3rd rounder on him would be crazy to me.

This kinda reminds me of Andre Smith when he was coming out. He had an ugly combine and yet Cincy still took him 6th and he contributed on some good lines. Would be a lot better if he didn't get injured a ton.

If Brown is there in the 3rd, I would absolutely take that shot. He'll have time to develop and get in better shape behind Whit for a year or two. That combine is so ugly it takes him out of being a first round option, but if he's there late on day 2, it feels like a great value.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I understand why people wouldn't want Brown at #23. I don't want him at #23. But those of you who refuse to take him with our 3rd round pick are cray-cray. The guy has plenty of film against top competition. Watch his film against UGA. I had him down as losing one snap as a pass blocker the entire game. He's going to need to improve his body and iron out some technical kinks, but we're not drafting him to start. He'll get a year or two behind Whitworth to work on his game with Kromer and learn from Whit.

giphy.gif

What is Roquan Smith doing? How are you going to let a guy with a 5.8 40 put you on the ground?
giphy.gif

How are you going to let a guy who is slow as molasses pull from the other side of the OL and flatten you?
giphy.gif

Roquan, how do you let Tubby McSlowascrap pull around to push you around like a child?
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Somebody forgot to tell this UGA DL that Big #78 is manhandling that he could only do 14 BP reps.
giphy.gif

Well, that pass rush plan didn't work too well. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
giphy.gif

Well shoot, Bosa, you'd think the most unathletic OT in Combine history would be a little easier to run around.
giphy.gif

On second thought, let's go back to trying to run around him. I don't think going through him is any easier, Bosa.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I bet that Texas DL feels bad that Son of Zeus pushed him around like a blocking sled.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I applaud the attempt to attack the edge, but that didn't work out too well either.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

You'd think Carl Lawson, a guy who put up 8.5 sacks in 2017 as a rookie, would be able to run right by the world's slowest OT.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It would have been nice to warn Carlton Davis that the world's slowest freight train was coming right at him.
giphy.gif

It's so odd that the Combine's most unathletic man is able to make blocks on the second level and in space. It's very odd that he can handle NFL caliber pass rushers. It's even more odd that Mr. 14 BP Reps can manhandle DLs.

Brown isn't a perfect prospect by any means, but people are putting way too much stock in the Combine.

P.S. Joey Bosa's brother, Nick, is really effing good. He's going to be a top 5 pick too. Like Joey, he's got the full toolset as an edge rusher.
I don’t think anyone would really bitch if we took him in one of the later rounds (Okay - some always will).

I get what you’re saying that some have placed really late round grades on him but I think the furvor is really exaggerated by the thought of us using our first round pick on him as per the OP. I certainly would not - but hell... I didn’t even watch your copious gifs let alone a bunch of game film. I probably will later though.

I don’t like the feeling I get as he does come off to ME as a guy who will parlay his new found wealth into retirement of effort. IMO he may have already done that prior to even being drafted. Not a thought I cherish as a guy coming to our team.

I guess I just get the concern. You have a chance to showcase some - not all - of your strength and skill and you somewhat mail it in.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do think Brown benefited from his size at the college level more than he will in the NFL. That said, to not put a 3rd rounder on him would be crazy to me.

This kinda reminds me of Andre Smith when he was coming out. He had an ugly combine and yet Cincy still took him 6th and he contributed on some good lines. Would be a lot better if he didn't get injured a ton.

If Brown is there in the 3rd, I would absolutely take that shot. He'll have time to develop and get in better shape behind Whit for a year or two. That combine is so ugly it takes him out of being a first round option, but if he's there late on day 2, it feels like a great value.

IMO, 6'8" 350 is 6'8" 350.

Giles27

UDFA
Name
Giles Loveless

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Everything you said is spot on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
IMO, 6'8" 350 is 6'8" 350.
Not according to my boss that was an HC. He laughs at posted measurables. He says that sometimes they are real. The combine numbers are probably what they measured at the time. But he says that those are easily fudged and NFL pros don’t really look at them because they already know real numbers before they even consider a player in the draft. It matters more what they have done and what they look like and are able to do when being dissected during workouts.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not according to my boss that was an HC. He laughs at posted measurables. He says that sometimes they are real. The combine numbers are probably what they measured at the time. But he says that those are easily fudged and NFL pros don’t really look at them because they already know real numbers before they even consider a player in the draft. It matters more what they have done and what they look like and are able to do when being dissected during workouts.

Brown measured in at 6'8" 345 pounds at the Combine. He reportedly played around 360 pounds during the season. He's a massive man, period.