Would you guys draft Orlando Brown at #23?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I understand why people wouldn't want Brown at #23. I don't want him at #23. But those of you who refuse to take him with our 3rd round pick are cray-cray. The guy has plenty of film against top competition. Watch his film against UGA. I had him down as losing one snap as a pass blocker the entire game. He's going to need to improve his body and iron out some technical kinks, but we're not drafting him to start. He'll get a year or two behind Whitworth to work on his game with Kromer and learn from Whit.

Here are some gifs that I feel are worth posting:
giphy.gif

What is Roquan Smith doing? How are you going to let a guy with a 5.8 40 put you on the ground?
giphy.gif

How are you going to let a guy who is slow as molasses pull from the other side of the OL and flatten you?
giphy.gif

Roquan, how do you let Tubby McSlowascrap pull around to push you around like a child?
giphy.gif

Not again, Roquan. Who forgot to tell Roquan that Brown is slow as hell?
giphy.gif

Somebody forgot to tell this UGA DL that Big #78 is manhandling that he could only do 14 BP reps.
giphy.gif

Well, that pass rush plan didn't work too well. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
giphy.gif

Well shoot, Bosa, you'd think the most unathletic OT in Combine history would be a little easier to run around.
giphy.gif

On second thought, let's go back to trying to run around him. I don't think going through him is any easier, Bosa.
giphy.gif

Don't feel bad, Malik Jefferson, he got Roquan Smith too.
giphy.gif

I bet that Texas DL feels bad that Son of Zeus pushed him around like a blocking sled.
giphy.gif

I don't think you're supposed to stick to the LT like glue, Texas DE.
giphy.gif

Imagine the push Brown could get if he could do 15 BP reps.
giphy.gif

I don't think you're supposed to let one player block half your defense.
giphy.gif

Hmmm . . . I'm thinking the bull rush isn't the best plan here.
giphy.gif

I applaud the attempt to attack the edge, but that didn't work out too well either.
giphy.gif

Yea, the bull rush still seems like not the best plan.
giphy.gif

You'd think Carl Lawson, a guy who put up 8.5 sacks in 2017 as a rookie, would be able to run right by the world's slowest OT.
giphy.gif

But he runs a 5.8 40?!?!?! He's not supposed to be able to do that.
giphy.gif

It would have been nice to warn Carlton Davis that the world's slowest freight train was coming right at him.
giphy.gif

To be fair, Tyquan Lewis (the DE) is only projected to be a 4th round pick.

It's so odd that the Combine's most unathletic man is able to make blocks on the second level and in space. It's very odd that he can handle NFL caliber pass rushers. It's even more odd that Mr. 14 BP Reps can manhandle DLs.

Brown isn't a perfect prospect by any means, but people are putting way too much stock in the Combine.

P.S. Joey Bosa's brother, Nick, is really effing good. He's going to be a top 5 pick too. Like Joey, he's got the full toolset as an edge rusher.

Lol at Jrry’s Sarcastic commentary on every Gif.

I personally think Brown may have tried to drop too much weight for the combine and over did it.

Either way I’ll take the game day tape over a few days at the combine as the best predictor of future performance.

Brown may be our pick considering we have to get LT depth. As a mid round pick he may be our best option.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Brown measured in at 6'8" 345 pounds at the Combine. He reportedly played around 360 pounds during the season. He's a massive man, period.
Not arguing with you. Just stating that no matter what they measure at the combines, the people scouting them already have that info and their size and weight AT the combine probably has little influence beyond maybe if they can gain if they’re under or lose if they’re over. The rest comes down to their supposed tangibles and the interviews. If someone measures in at the combine, it apparently actually carries little weight if they don’t measure up otherwise.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Brown measured in at 6'8" 345 pounds at the Combine. He reportedly played around 360 pounds during the season. He's a massive man, period.
BTW .... we’ve seen many massive men that couldn’t make it in the NFL. So? Look. I don’t care if he makes it in the NFL. I have no fish to fry there. Do I want him at #23? Absolutely not. Does he deserve 4th and 5th round grades? Not sure. But if we are using a high value pick, I want more than size and weight. I want ability to crack the starting line up - and soon.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Let's just say... I wouldn't want to feed him.

Just like Rhode Island is a small state...but I wouldn't want to paint it...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
BTW .... we’ve seen many massive men that couldn’t make it in the NFL. So? Look. I don’t care if he makes it in the NFL. I have no fish to fry there. Do I want him at #23? Absolutely not. Does he deserve 4th and 5th round grades? Not sure. But if we are using a high value pick, I want more than size and weight. I want ability to crack the starting line up - and soon.

We've also seen many who could make it. And the ones who made it had film more like Brown's than the ones who didn't. If he's there at the end of the 3rd round, I'm taking him. He offers much more than size and weight.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
We've also seen many who could make it. And the ones who made it had film more like Brown's than the ones who didn't. If he's there at the end of the 3rd round, I'm taking him. He offers much more than size and weight.
If Brown makes it in the NFL, he will be the only guy who ran that slow who did. The only one. My guess is that a lot of GM's will take him off the board, or drop him way down, based on that. So, the question. Is he the exception, or the rule? I wouldn't risk a 3rd rounder on him.

Some team will take a chance on him. I hope it is not us.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And I wouldn’t bitch at all about it. Cheers.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If Brown makes it in the NFL, he will be the only guy who ran that slow who did. The only one. My guess is that a lot of GM's will take him off the board, or drop him way down, based on that. So, the question. Is he the exception, or the rule? I wouldn't risk a 3rd rounder on him.

And I’d be ok with passing on him for this very reason as well.

Basically, I would be very concerned if we took him in the first. As the rounds get later, I grow less concerned.

Still I can’t help but think this guy has bust written all over him despite being great in college. If we took him in the third, I’d hope that meant my concerns are overblown. My thought though is that SOMEONE takes him by then.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is - if his film is so great but he's still available late in the third - that means basically every team has concerns about his work ethic or something else, and their post combine investigations did not make them sufficiently comfortable.

I think he'll be drafted - but there is a long history of talented players who don't succeed because they aren't willing to put the work in. Some team will think that they can sufficiently motivate him to keep the weight off, to work hard in the weight room, to work hard in practice to improve his technique. The lower the round, the less risk if he fails to stay consistently motivated. And, perhaps if he falls enough he will get pissed enough to be motivated for a couple of years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Exception. Kind of like our "too young" HC, our "too small" DT, our "too slow" WR, and our "too skinny" QB. :whistle:

WestCoastRam

Legend
For a tackle his size, I'd like to see him have less leverage issues coming into the league (that's a technique issue). All his power will quickly be neutralized if he doesn't fix that aspect of his game. I'm truly suspect he'll work out and he's definitely not work a 1st rounder.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Exception. Kind of like our "too young" HC, our "too small" DT, our "too slow" WR, and our "too skinny" QB. :whistle:
So we should look for exceptions to the rules? Sorry but just like cliches, they have basis. While you may be right on the guy, if he falls, all the great game tape in the world will be meaningless compared to what the team personnel guys think after work outs and interviews. If he’s perceived as lazy or has an entitlement mentality, he will drop like a rock.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we should look for exceptions to the rules? Sorry but just like cliches, they have basis. While you may be right on the guy, if he falls, all the great game tape in the world will be meaningless compared to what the team personnel guys think after work outs and interviews. If he’s perceived as lazy or has an entitlement mentality, he will drop like a rock.

Yes. That's where you'll get the best value. It's an inefficiency in the market that can be exploited. When we're talking about 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks, you're taking very little risk.

Go get the guys who are too small, too slow, too whatever else who have great film. You'll miss on some, but many of the guys who are steals on Day 3 are those overachievers. Desmond King is a perfect example of that approach.

No, not really. Lol.

Yes, really. Hell, there were people who told me last year that Cooper Kupp wouldn't be able to separate from the NFL CBs in man coverage.

People are saying that Brown won't be able stop speed rushers. I guess we shall see.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I can see a career projection for Orlando similar to Trent Brown. A mountain that pass rushers can't get around. Leverage issues may occur in the run game like it does with Trent Brown, but overall is a pretty dominant player. I would take that for a third, no doubt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see a career projection for Orlando similar to Trent Brown. A mountain that pass rushers can't get around. Leverage issues may occur in the run game like it does with Trent Brown, but overall is a pretty dominant player. I would take that for a third, no doubt.

As a Gator alum, Trent just doesn't have the same power that Orlando Brown has. But yes, you are right about him in pass pro. I really like the comparisons to former Gator Max Starks, who was a solid LT for the Steelers for a good while. Orlando Brown mauls people in the running game.

In his current state, he could hold up well in pass pro against all but the top speed rushers. If we can get him to improve his kick-step, drop some of the bad weight, and improve his body (with our S&C program and nutritionists), I think we'll see him unlock a lot of quickness that people don't believe he has. When you watch him when he latches on, the guy is a dancing bear. He's got more athleticism than people think.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
As a Gator alum, Trent just doesn't have the same power that Orlando Brown has. But yes, you are right about him in pass pro. I really like the comparisons to former Gator Max Starks, who was a solid LT for the Steelers for a good while. Orlando Brown mauls people in the running game.

In his current state, he could hold up well in pass pro against all but the top speed rushers. If we can get him to improve his kick-step, drop some of the bad weight, and improve his body (with our S&C program and nutritionists), I think we'll see him unlock a lot of quickness that people don't believe he has. When you watch him when he latches on, the guy is a dancing bear. He's got more athleticism than people think.

But honestly, not many guys in this league who pitch shut-outs versus those types anyway.

Brown didn't get by all this while by being athletic as a geriatric out there. He doesn't need to put up Terron Armstead numbers out there with his size, and this is coming from someone who is put off by his results. Like I said, wouldn't take him in the first as a result of that combine.

I think he is carrying some bad weight like you said. Give him time behind Whitworth, paired with Kromer and this S&C staff and it will pay off..

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yes. That's where you'll get the best value. It's an inefficiency in the market that can be exploited. When we're talking about 3rd, 4th, and 5th round picks, you're taking very little risk.

Go get the guys who are too small, too slow, too whatever else who have great film. You'll miss on some, but many of the guys who are steals on Day 3 are those overachievers. Desmond King is a perfect example of that approach.

Yes, really. Hell, there were people who told me last year that Cooper Kupp wouldn't be able to separate from the NFL CBs in man coverage.

People are saying that Brown won't be able stop speed rushers. I guess we shall see.
You should know me well enough to know that I am not just all about measurables, in fact, I liked, or wanted every single person you mentioned earlier. When I evaluate a player, I take everything, I can see, or know, into account. Metrics is just one thing, but there are a lot of metrics to consider, which I do. Game tape has to be the most important thing, but you also have to try to project players, and that is where I see a problem.

He is too slow, too stiff, stands straight up, and on passing downs, he really struggled with speed. I like Jared Goff too much to allow Brown to block for him. I see some technique issues that can be cleaned up, but you can't teach speed, or quickness. He will never posses those things.

We will see on this one

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
But honestly, not many guys in this league who pitch shut-outs versus those types anyway.

Brown didn't get by all this while by being athletic as a geriatric out there. He doesn't need to put up Terron Armstead numbers out there with his size, and this is coming from someone who is put off by his results. Like I said, wouldn't take him in the first as a result of that combine.

I think he is carrying some bad weight like you said. Give him time behind Whitworth, paired with Kromer and this S&C staff and it will pay off..
Actually, Brown tested very respectable for a guy his size, and has much better fluidity, movement skills, IMO.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Actually, Brown tested very respectable for a guy his size, and has much better fluidity, movement skills, IMO.

Brown did test better (except in 3 cone, but he was better in everything else). I'm just laying out a comparable player who I think is the hopeful outcome for Orlando. I think OBJr. can get there if things workout and I think with the way things are set-up with the Rams, he would land in a situation where things can workout the right way.

Last edited: