Would you guys draft Orlando Brown at #23?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If I was Orlando Brown, the first thing i'd do is go home and fire my agent for talking me into going to the Combine in the first place. It cost him millions. He could have feigned illness and played Nintendo all week and come out of this in better shape financially. :D

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
But I said "assume" he's considered a good kid and not lazy (hey, he might be...but that's not the premise I'm laying out here). So I'm not sure what "work habits" you're talking about.
And I wanna go back to the combine for a sec.....
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-tracking-40-times-bench-press-and-all-drills
Even the positional drills were a struggle for Brown, as he drew the ire of the coaches for seemingly not giving maximum effort, per Bleacher Report's Marcus Mosher:

View: https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/969592502864007168

Brown was widely viewed as a first-round prospect and one of the top tackles in the class prior to the combine, but his disastrous performance could have teams second-guessing his status.

Ants

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know...this situation reminds me of Andre Smith a few years back (who was drafted 6th overall).
Yes, 2 totally different guys, builds, etc.
But the situation seems similar.
Andre Smith didn't totally pan out - mostly due to injuries. Still, when healthy he was was good (2011-2013 seasons).
Both guys were sort of sloppy, messed up the combine, but were pretty highly regarded (Smith more so). Just sayin'

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Given that performance, I'd have to take a really long look at his game film.

Any issues with speed rushers in college will only get amplified in the pros.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
To lift any amount of weight a certain number of times shows dedication & work ethic. It's key in determining some players...not all, but some...most even...it shows that some players take this seriously.

And yeah, being stronger in your upper body helps in blocking and tackling....and a side benefit, it helps prevent and minimize injuries.

Muscle endurance is important...so is muscle strength.
Standing up pushing an object in the opposite direction is more of core/ lower body work and completely different mechanics than isolating the pecs, lying down and pushing up. Its a scrappy way to determine anything. I know some lazy dudes who can bench alot, hell when i use to bench 225 was part of my warm up. Does not dictate amy measurement except how much you can bench. As far as preventing injury, bench press is the #1 exercise you are more prone to tearing a pec or messing up your rotator cuff on. Ask any bodybuilder or powerlifter who has torn their pec how it happen. 98% of the time its benching.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
NO, NO, and NO! He might turn out to be a pro bowler but I'm not taking that chance in the 1st round this year. I'm going D in the 1st.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NO, NO, and NO! He might turn out to be a pro bowler but I'm not taking that chance in the 1st round this year. I'm going D in the 1st.

Even if they went OL with that pick - I would want it to be for a guy they are confident will be an above average player for years for them - not a huge gamble. If the right center prospect is there, for instance, great (although I suspect they would trade down if that were the case, pick up an extra mid round pick)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is - the Rams are at a better than usual spot at #23. Thanks to the depth of this draft and the likely run on QBs, there's a good chance that a very good player will fall to them - even if not at the biggest position of need, I'd hate for the Rams to let something like that pass. And if not, there WILL be quality players that fit the system at either CB, LB, edge rusher, NT, or OL. Probably enough that the Rams could trade down a little for more picks, or choose whichever player is the best combination of talent and position of need. So there is zero reason to gamble on an OT who has a huge red flag such as Brown. If there is reason to question whether a player loves football and is motivated to go that extra mile to be in peak shape and work hard to be his best, don't even think of taking him that high.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Yes, the LT out of Oklahoma had a horrible combine.
Let's assume by all accounts he's a good kid. Let's also assume that he's not a gym rat, but he's not considered lazy, either.

*minimal reps on the bench press - some would say he's not strong. I would say that some guys are good at pushing around a bar, and some guys are able to use leverage to push around opposing players.
*it's said that the 1st 10 yards of his 40 yard dash was particularly bad (2 seconds).

Still, to me, watching him play - he looks good! Quick off the snap, fairly agile.
So, would you want the Rams to take a shot at 23?
giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd take him in the 3rd. The kid can play. Don't get fooled by this Combine nonsense. But there are impact players in the first at positions of greater need, and there's a lot of OT depth in this Draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If there's verified evidence that he has mono or something like that, it might be okay.

Otherwise, I agree with @Tron and others - one of those series of 6ths the Rams have. 6ths are for role players and gambles. He is definitely a huge gamble at this point. Pushing around players at a lower level, that he is naturally bigger and stronger than, is less impressive if there are serious doubts about him putting hard work in every day for years, in order to succeed at the next level.

He has cost himself millions, imo

He's naturally bigger and stronger than just about every player in the NFL. His father, Zeus Brown, was a Pro Bowl caliber LT who had many of the same flaws as his son. Orlando can play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IF the Rams do that... We'll have to watch defenders that were on the board kick effin @$$ for the next five plus years not to mention some other OTs who will go later and probably outperform him.

I like Brown's film but man, no way I'd touch that dude now outside of a much lower value pick.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Standing up pushing an object in the opposite direction is more of core/ lower body work and completely different mechanics than isolating the pecs, lying down and pushing up.
A lot of your core is engaged (or should be) in any pressing motions....whether lying or standing. Mostly as a stabilizer...

You can get injured....doing anything...but especially while performing exercises....at or near your max is definitely dangerous....which is why 225 lbs should be relatively safe.

Agree to disagree.

Orlando Brown looks lazy....uninspired....unmotivated....and is a poor football prospect for the professional game. Watch were he does get drafted (if at all).....and watch how he plays if he makes it....

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
NO, we need to draft a starter at that pick . Priorities need to addressed early then draft for depth later.

I think whitworth has another 2 years left, havenstein should be ok for a while on the right side.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Part of this for me is my own RL stuff and part of it is how much trust I have in McVay and crew.

If they do their due diligence and draft him, I'll be behind him.

If they pass on Brown, presuming he's there, then I'll know all I need to know and won't think about him again.

fearsomefour

Legend
A lot of your core is engaged (or should be) in any pressing motions....whether lying or standing. Mostly as a stabilizer...

You can get injured....doing anything...but especially while performing exercises....at or near your max is definitely dangerous....which is why 225 lbs should be relatively safe.

Agree to disagree.

Orlando Brown looks lazy....uninspired....unmotivated....and is a poor football prospect for the professional game. Watch were he does get drafted (if at all).....and watch how he plays if he makes it....
He will get drafted but he costnhimself some money for sure. I would suspect his contract will be loaded with work out bonus stuff too.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
No, because, IMO, LOT is not an immediate priority compared to DT, OLB and whatever else happens with our own FAs at WR, CB and safety.