Would you guys draft Orlando Brown at #23?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ants

Starter
Yes, the LT out of Oklahoma had a horrible combine.
Let's assume by all accounts he's a good kid. Let's also assume that he's not a gym rat, but he's not considered lazy, either.

*minimal reps on the bench press - some would say he's not strong. I would say that some guys are good at pushing around a bar, and some guys are able to use leverage to push around opposing players.
*it's said that the 1st 10 yards of his 40 yard dash was particularly bad (2 seconds).

Still, to me, watching him play - he looks good! Quick off the snap, fairly agile.
So, would you want the Rams to take a shot at 23?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
After what I read I'd let him come in as a SFA, but wouldn't spend a pick on him.

Dude couldn't get prepped for the big day...........so I can't trust him.

This was his chance to get PAID and he couldn't get ready?

No thanks!

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
After what I read I'd let him come in as a SFA, but wouldn't spend a pick on him.

Dude couldn't get prepped for the big day...........so I can't trust him.

This was his chance to get PAID and he couldn't get ready?

No thanks!
I want someone mentally tough to keep coming back no matter what on the line. My first impression is, his actions at the combine don't back that up. I agree with you. Don't waist a draft pick.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
NO! I would rather have someone like McGlinchey - Notre Dame, or Cappa - Humboldt St.! and there are other's! JMHO

nighttrain

Legend
I want someone mentally tough to keep coming back no matter what on the line. My first impression is, his actions at the combine don't back that up. I agree with you. Don't waist a draft pick.
how about one of our many 6ths? I would if his feet meet the criteria for his position
train

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't trust his work ethic enough to spend the 23rd on him. Especially if there are positions of need with talent available when we pick.

He would need to really wow in some private workouts for me to risk it.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3rd round for me . He wasn't considered a first by a lot of people before the combine

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If there's verified evidence that he has mono or something like that, it might be okay.

Otherwise, I agree with @Tron and others - one of those series of 6ths the Rams have. 6ths are for role players and gambles. He is definitely a huge gamble at this point. Pushing around players at a lower level, that he is naturally bigger and stronger than, is less impressive if there are serious doubts about him putting hard work in every day for years, in order to succeed at the next level.

He has cost himself millions, imo

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Jason Smith and Vernon Gholston were combine gods.

tenor.gif

Ants

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
hell no....draft? LOL....seriously....draft? At 23????

I don't know if he's lazy....I would think his work habits show he's lazy.....

I get what you guys are saying.
But I said "assume" he's considered a good kid and not lazy (hey, he might be...but that's not the premise I'm laying out here). So I'm not sure what "work habits" you're talking about.
What if the dude just doesn't have the genetics to be fast? He is rather large, after all.
And what if his size, length, and quickness are enough to overcome lack of bench press strength?

I understand the thought that if the dude can't prep for and compete at the combine, it says something about him.
Let's go with this:
Taking the combine out of the discussion - do you think his play on the field would warrant a first round grade?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Taking the combine out of the discussion - do you think his play on the field would warrant a first round grade?
Better question...

I was watching him play....forget who....and just looked at him....and he moves like that....just laying his arms on people...barely moving...I couldn't believe that was Zeus' son....my bud oleschool was talking about where he'd go, and I assumed 2nd or 3rd...but his play was 4th round at best...and he was saying he was a lock to go in the 1st. No way in hell that guy is 1st round talent.....on play alone. While the image of his combine cannot be erased from my mind, I can't see him going higher than the 6th round....I can't believe someone would draft him. There is nothing "quick" about his movements...all he has is size/length...and I don't think that's enough. He has to be able to move....and block people...

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I get what you guys are saying.
But I said "assume" he's considered a good kid and not lazy (hey, he might be...but that's not the premise I'm laying out here). So I'm not sure what "work habits" you're talking about.
What if the dude just doesn't have the genetics to be fast? He is rather large, after all.
And what if his size, length, and quickness are enough to overcome lack of bench press strength?

I understand the thought that if the dude can't prep for and compete at the combine, it says something about him.
Let's go with this:
I dont understand why they still have the bench press at the combine. It does not show how strong a person is in the exercise nor does it translate to football. All it shows is how much endurance someone has lifting 225. If It were a show of strength they'd max out. Even if they did max out, there's no translation to lying on your back pushing a barbell and pushing someone in front of you while you're standing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I dont understand why they still have the bench press at the combine. It does not show how strong a person is in the exercise nor does it translate to football. All it shows is how much endurance someone has lifting 225.
To lift any amount of weight a certain number of times shows dedication & work ethic. It's key in determining some players...not all, but some...most even...it shows that some players take this seriously.

And yeah, being stronger in your upper body helps in blocking and tackling....and a side benefit, it helps prevent and minimize injuries.

Muscle endurance is important...so is muscle strength.