Why not Brian Allen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tano

Legend
NFL GamePass baby! It’s worth $99 a season. I can go back and watch games from 9 years ago.

It’s great for when you go through stages of self loathing and feel that punishment is deserved. Just rewatch some of the Fisher/Spagnoulo years.

It’s also great for rewatching the last weeks game and just focusing on the Oline, or one player.
Yeah - I have Game Pass and that's what I watch to see how good or bad someone plays.

Been trying to catch up on Stafford last year but have only seen 5 or 6 games so far.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wouldn’t mind that! My boss on the other hand thinks I waste too much time on football as it is.

Working full time, growing and putting up hay, raising dairy goats, hunting about 5ish weeks a year and making a trip to Alaska for two weeks doesn’t leave a lot of room for more football. But, I think sleep can be over-rated sometimes.
I love feta cheese!

Have you ever seen so many pesty voracious hard-to-hit skeeters in your life as they are in AK when it warms up?

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah - I have Game Pass and that's what I watch to see how good or bad someone plays.

Been trying to catch up on Stafford last year but have only seen 5 or 6 games so far.

I love it. For $99 a year it’s well worth it to me. The all 22 is boring but if you cruise through to specific plays you can analyze what went wrong.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
True & a very good positive thing.

A rhetorical question is one for which the questioner does not expect a direct answer: in many cases it may be intended to start a discourse.

Discourse is in this case written words interchange of ideas; especially: conversation. One very big reason that ROD is in full operation today.(y):cool:

I find it interesting that the rams are paying allen nearly 1.1 mil this year while blyth's contract with KC is around 900k with about 750k worth of incentives.

If the rams ink that same contract, it either gives them their starter at a most reasonable rate, or a less expensive backup option since blyth's 750k of playtime incentives would not kick in.

In other words, if the rams thought blyth was the better option over allen, why not cut allen and use that money to pay blyth,? As a starter, that contract is a bargain for the rams and as a backup, not hitting incentives, blyth's conract would be less than allen's.

Although I don't know the cap ramifications, if any, to cutting allen so maybe that plays into the equation.

Tano

Legend
I love it. For $99 a year it’s well worth it to me. The all 22 is boring but if you cruise through to specific plays you can analyze what went wrong.
Yes I only look at specific plays on the All 22 - of course I looked at all the pass plays during the Miami game and Second Seattle game for my analyses that I did earlier.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most fans just believe what they've seen and don't project any improvement. It's why most don't believe in Hopkins, didn't believe in SJD or Hill before they started playing well.

Having said that, the issue with our C position is that the other positions are all just average at this point. Maybe Whit is still above average and maybe Edwards takes that leap - but relying on an unproven player next to AD or Ramsey is far different than relying on an unproven player next to Corbett.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I find it interesting that the rams are paying allen nearly 1.1 mil this year while blyth's contract with KC is around 900k with about 750k worth of incentives.

If the rams ink that same contract, it either gives them their starter at a most reasonable rate, or a less expensive backup option since blyth's 750k of playtime incentives would not kick in.

In other words, if the rams thought blyth was the better option over allen, why not cut allen and use that money to pay blyth,? As a starter, that contract is a bargain for the rams and as a backup, not hitting incentives, blyth's conract would be less than allen's.

Although I don't know the cap ramifications, if any, to cutting allen so maybe that plays into the equation.

Cutting Allen doesn't save much more than a couple hundred thousand $ at best. He'd still be replaced on the roster, and likely by a rookie earning a minimum wage. He'll also become a free agent following the 2021 season, so we either find some value in him now while he's cheap, place him on the practice squad, or let him go. Allen is an enigma, and we fans can't make heads or tails of him other than what we witnessed a year and a half ago, prior to his injury. At this point I can't count on him for anything, but because of our lack of information on injury updates or off-season work-outs, he could still wonder into camp and surprise the hell out of us, ... so i'll hope for the best while continuing to search for other options. jmo.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Most fans just believe what they've seen and don't project any improvement. It's why most don't believe in Hopkins, didn't believe in SJD or Hill before they started playing well.

Having said that, the issue with our C position is that the other positions are all just average at this point. Maybe Whit is still above average and maybe Edwards takes that leap - but relying on an unproven player next to AD or Ramsey is far different than relying on an unproven player next to Corbett.
Good point-- about fans getting stuck on "what they've seen already" from a player, and lacking the imagination to project improvement.

OTOH, with Allen IMHO it's different.

With Allen, what I saw was really terrible-- he'd have to go a LONG way just to get to "mediocre." So his ceiling seems low, IMHO.

With Hopkins? HAven't really seen anything, so I have no idea what to expect from him.

With SJD? He seemed to have kind of a "non-effect" in previous years. He didn't make an impact, but he didn't get rag-dolled, either. Doesn't seem shocking that once the light turned on, he showed marked improvement.

And with Hill, his main thing was inconsistency. He'd have bad games mixed in with terrific ones. When he matured as a pro, his good games far exceeded his bad ones.

My point being: yes, I'm all for having the imagination to project that a player might show significant improvement.

But when a player starts out really TERRIBLE (as Allen looked in 2019 IMHO) then it's frustrating to think that even "significant improvement" can only raise the bar to "mediocre at best."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Most fans just believe what they've seen and don't project any improvement.

Allen is an enigma, and we fans can't make heads or tails of him other than what we witnessed a year and a half ago, prior to his injury. At this point I can't count on him for anything, but because of our lack of information on injury updates or off-season work-outs, he could still wonder into camp and surprise the hell out of us

We simply don’t know. Same with Shelton, really.

At this point, even a draft pick requires projection.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We simply don’t know. Same with Shelton, really.

At this point, even a draft pick requires projection.

Agree - 1000%

We as Ram Fans get caught up in an illusion, especially when it comes to the Offseason & Draft.

My question about The Rams Offensive Line is — How Will Matthew Stafford look behind them ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My answer to the above question is Very good.

BTW
I’ve never really been a Brian Allen Fan. I just watch McSnead & there process.

In ALL of 2020 there was NOT a Player I HATED more & WANTED of The Rams !! — Covid, a ME player,Undersized,INJURED,2019 season,being drafted,Rams cutting Sullivan!!!
I get it !!!

The Fact he is in his 4th season,still on the roster, & more experienced than ever makes me think McSnead thinks of him highly.
I also think Brian Allen will be The Rams starting Center again.

The fact McSnead(both) talked about the center position when Sullivan was on the roster is another part of it . We can read between the line. On Easter Sunday we can talk about different views of a BOOK? It is easy to have different opinions & well as to what we think REALITY Really is ?? So without Austin Blythe being a Ram & he & Brian Allen were The Rams 2 Centers & Brian Allen being the only Rams Center from that time and space.Plus Brian Allen being The 1 players taking over for John Sullivan even without any NFL experience & not allowed a preseason because of The Rams thinking of his value.

I come to my answer as Brian Allen The Rams STARTING CENTER in 2021

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Can the LA Rams trust OC Brian Allen enough to start in 2021? (ramblinfan.com)
Can the LA Rams trust OC Brian Allen enough to start in 2021?
1617566699439.png

The LA Rams entrusted first-time NFL offensive center, Brian Allen, enough to start on the offensive line in 2019, a year after the team had competed in the Super Bowl. While that did not end well, there were a number of factors contributing to that disappointing debut. And since that time, the LA Rams have had every chance to change their mind about keeping Allen on the roster to compete for the starting role at the offensive center position.

But they chose not to do so. Instead, the Rams were both and positive in virtually every status update about Brian Allen.

In fact, a year ago, the team re-signed veteran Austin Blythe to a one-year deal. Yet when the team had an option to bring him back at a very affordable price, they elected not to do so. Austin Blythe had started for the LA Rams in their Super Bowl team at right guard and has since started at offensive center. He was both versatile and experienced. He is now also gone.

So the Rams kept Brian Allen but watched Austin Blythe leave the team at a bargain price in free agency. Clearly, I’m missing something. It’s simply not adding up for me. So it’s time to troubleshoot my thought process and see where I might be going wrong.

Three basic facts
Let’s start with some of the basic facts that we know about the current situation.
Fact I – We know that the LA Rams started offensive center Brian Allen to kick off the 2019 NFL season.
Fact II – We know that Allen suffered a devastating injury in the 2019 season. The injury was so devastating that he lost the last seven games of that season, plus a significant part of the 2020 season.
Fact III – Perhaps most of all, the LA Rams time and opportunity to address the offensive center position for two years, and did not act to do more than bridge a gap.

Have the Rams eyed Brian Allen’s return to a starting role all this time? They signed offensive center Cohl Cabral to the roster in 2020 and placed him on the practice squad a year ago. But the moment that Brian Allen had fully rehabbed his knee, the team found reason to cut Cabral from the practice squad. At the time, we predicted that would complicate the Rams 2020 NFL season. And here we go, a complication for 2021.

I can’t speak for the Rams. I haven’t spoken to the coaching staff, nor to the front office. All I can do is report what the team is doing, and the hand that they are showing. As it stands now, the most likely starter at the offensive center is Brian Allen.

If Allen was not injured so severely to end the 2019 season, the team may have found a way to ease him into the 2020 lineup. The injury to David Edwards at the left guard spot could have been addressed with either Austin Corbett or Austin Blythe to the left guard position the other to the right guard position and Brian Allen to the center position. Of course, that didn’t happen either.

So we are stuck in the cross-fire of mixed signals.

Mixed signals? Really, Rams?
The Rams have invested heavily into the quarterback position. Not a rookie. Not a scrambler. A fixed-position veteran pocket passer named Matthew Stafford. And the team invested enough into acquiring him that it doesn’t take a Sherlock Holmes Detective Agency to know that the Rams will need to add depth to the center competition.

While the Rams are almost certain to draft a center now, they’ve just tipped their hand to the other 31 NFL teams, many of whom are in the market for an offensive center. So the other teams now know that the Rams will be shopping for a center as early as 57. Per the NFL.com 2021 NFL Draft tracker, only two players have a ‘will be a starter in two years’ grade: Alabama’s Landon Dickerson and Wisconsin-Whitewater’s Quinn Meinerz. It is certainly within the scope that the Rams could watch as many as three or four offensive centers come off the board by the time they step up to the podium for the first time.

In terms of offensive centers, I like five prospects for the Rams in this draft so far: Alabama’s Landon Dickerson, Wisconsin-Whitewater’s Quinn Meinerz, Oklahoma’s Creed Humphrey, Ohio State’s Josh Meyer, and Penn State’s Michal Menet. Of course, there are more prospects to review and that could mean adding names to this list.

On the other hand, we’ve pushed for center Coleman Shelton to get a chance to compete at the position for two years. He was a dominating center for the Washington Huskies in college, and he has yet to impact the NFL Perhaps this is the year that he does exactly that.

Meanwhile, the player with seniority for the role is Brian Allen, We know that he is not highly regarded among the fanbase, but he appears to have the confidence of the coaching staff so far. And if he is the player who ends up starting for the team, then he will certainly have our support. However else you see it, one thing is obvious. The Rams are committed to a future with a far more likely chance of Brian Allen starting at the center position than before. The team may have something up the sleeve, but if the cards were played today, it could very likely end up with Allen hiking to quarterback Matthew Stafford.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Can the LA Rams trust OC Brian Allen enough to start in 2021? (ramblinfan.com)
Can the LA Rams trust OC Brian Allen enough to start in 2021?
View attachment 44769

The LA Rams entrusted first-time NFL offensive center, Brian Allen, enough to start on the offensive line in 2019, a year after the team had competed in the Super Bowl. While that did not end well, there were a number of factors contributing to that disappointing debut. And since that time, the LA Rams have had every chance to change their mind about keeping Allen on the roster to compete for the starting role at the offensive center position.

But they chose not to do so. Instead, the Rams were both and positive in virtually every status update about Brian Allen.

In fact, a year ago, the team re-signed veteran Austin Blythe to a one-year deal. Yet when the team had an option to bring him back at a very affordable price, they elected not to do so. Austin Blythe had started for the LA Rams in their Super Bowl team at right guard and has since started at offensive center. He was both versatile and experienced. He is now also gone.

So the Rams kept Brian Allen but watched Austin Blythe leave the team at a bargain price in free agency. Clearly, I’m missing something. It’s simply not adding up for me. So it’s time to troubleshoot my thought process and see where I might be going wrong.

Three basic facts
Let’s start with some of the basic facts that we know about the current situation.
Fact I – We know that the LA Rams started offensive center Brian Allen to kick off the 2019 NFL season.
Fact II – We know that Allen suffered a devastating injury in the 2019 season. The injury was so devastating that he lost the last seven games of that season, plus a significant part of the 2020 season.
Fact III – Perhaps most of all, the LA Rams time and opportunity to address the offensive center position for two years, and did not act to do more than bridge a gap.

Have the Rams eyed Brian Allen’s return to a starting role all this time? They signed offensive center Cohl Cabral to the roster in 2020 and placed him on the practice squad a year ago. But the moment that Brian Allen had fully rehabbed his knee, the team found reason to cut Cabral from the practice squad. At the time, we predicted that would complicate the Rams 2020 NFL season. And here we go, a complication for 2021.

I can’t speak for the Rams. I haven’t spoken to the coaching staff, nor to the front office. All I can do is report what the team is doing, and the hand that they are showing. As it stands now, the most likely starter at the offensive center is Brian Allen.

If Allen was not injured so severely to end the 2019 season, the team may have found a way to ease him into the 2020 lineup. The injury to David Edwards at the left guard spot could have been addressed with either Austin Corbett or Austin Blythe to the left guard position the other to the right guard position and Brian Allen to the center position. Of course, that didn’t happen either.

So we are stuck in the cross-fire of mixed signals.

Mixed signals? Really, Rams?
The Rams have invested heavily into the quarterback position. Not a rookie. Not a scrambler. A fixed-position veteran pocket passer named Matthew Stafford. And the team invested enough into acquiring him that it doesn’t take a Sherlock Holmes Detective Agency to know that the Rams will need to add depth to the center competition.

While the Rams are almost certain to draft a center now, they’ve just tipped their hand to the other 31 NFL teams, many of whom are in the market for an offensive center. So the other teams now know that the Rams will be shopping for a center as early as 57. Per the NFL.com 2021 NFL Draft tracker, only two players have a ‘will be a starter in two years’ grade: Alabama’s Landon Dickerson and Wisconsin-Whitewater’s Quinn Meinerz. It is certainly within the scope that the Rams could watch as many as three or four offensive centers come off the board by the time they step up to the podium for the first time.

In terms of offensive centers, I like five prospects for the Rams in this draft so far: Alabama’s Landon Dickerson, Wisconsin-Whitewater’s Quinn Meinerz, Oklahoma’s Creed Humphrey, Ohio State’s Josh Meyer, and Penn State’s Michal Menet. Of course, there are more prospects to review and that could mean adding names to this list.

On the other hand, we’ve pushed for center Coleman Shelton to get a chance to compete at the position for two years. He was a dominating center for the Washington Huskies in college, and he has yet to impact the NFL Perhaps this is the year that he does exactly that.

Meanwhile, the player with seniority for the role is Brian Allen, We know that he is not highly regarded among the fanbase, but he appears to have the confidence of the coaching staff so far. And if he is the player who ends up starting for the team, then he will certainly have our support. However else you see it, one thing is obvious. The Rams are committed to a future with a far more likely chance of Brian Allen starting at the center position than before. The team may have something up the sleeve, but if the cards were played today, it could very likely end up with Allen hiking to quarterback Matthew Stafford.
Is RamblinRam on ROD?