Why not Brian Allen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The highlights were the game highlights not his.

I’ve watched nearly every game for the last 25 years and as many as were broadcast in my local for 25 before that, yeah I’m old.

I must admit like most fans I don’t watch specific players as much as the ball. But have been looking to see if I could find film that shows enough to see good or bad from Allen.

I’m not set on him being the answer but, he’s on the roster and on a rookie contract. I think we have seen enough of Blythe but maybe a new coach gets one of them up to a respectable level of play.

NFL GamePass baby! It’s worth $99 a season. I can go back and watch games from 9 years ago.

It’s great for when you go through stages of self loathing and feel that punishment is deserved. Just rewatch some of the Fisher/Spagnoulo years.

It’s also great for rewatching the last weeks game and just focusing on the Oline, or one player.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
NFL GamePass baby! It’s worth $99 a season. I can go back and watch games from 9 years ago.

It’s great for when you go through stages of self loathing and feel that punishment is deserved. Just rewatch some of the Fisher/Spagnoulo years.

It’s also great for rewatching the last weeks game and just focusing on the Oline, or one player.

I wouldn’t mind that! My boss on the other hand thinks I waste too much time on football as it is.

Working full time, growing and putting up hay, raising dairy goats, hunting about 5ish weeks a year and making a trip to Alaska for two weeks doesn’t leave a lot of room for more football. But, I think sleep can be over-rated sometimes.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Even two years later watching the game in Seattle makes my anxiety level rise. Freaking refs and the call against Mathews and then legation missing the game winner. Aaaaruugghhj!!!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Does ROD have any real deep thinkers in here today?

Any Members up for a Brian Allen test?:bueller:

Questions:
How many snaps did Kromer permit Allen to experience during his rookie season with the offense?

How many regular season gms did Kromer permit Allen to start his rookie season?

When was the last time Brian Allen took snaps with the Rams offense?

Who was Kromer's starting 2019 OG's besides starting Allen during the games he started that one-half season?

How much experience did Kromer's trio of OG's (Noteboom, Demby & Blythe) have starting before the 2019 season?

How many pre-season games did McVay/Kromer permitted the starting interior OL Allen/Noteboom & Blythe to play before the regular season began?

How early in the regular 2019 season did RG Blythe get injured? was this injury considered a high ankle sprain 3 grade?

Which reserve backup replaced Blythe to play next to Allen?

In addition, has it been previously reported before the 2019 regular season that starting RG Blythe was experiencing big issues with both his shoulders & surgery would be needed when the season was over?

Are any of Kromer's three Ram OG's, who played next to Allen in 2019 starting & playing OG in the NFL currently ....2 seasons past the Allen starting event?

How much visual film or video of Brian Allen playing center is thereafter he incurred his very serious knee injury in early November 2019 less than 2 years ago?

After Brian Allen's surgery to his knee did Brian Allen ever take the field for a snap in 2020?

Was Allen's knee still undergoing rehab till the end of the 2020 season even though Allen was involved in limited weeklong practices?

Is there anyway officially that the Rams Org. would have solid evidence of the current condition of Allen's knee since the end of the 2020 season 3 months ago & would not Snead be absent from any official Ram organization recent reports on that Allen's knee this offseason, which guided him to mention this unknown publically?

If you desire the correct answers I have them.:biggrin:

Last edited:

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Correlation is not causation but it seemed the OL improvement that came late in '19 coincided with his moving out of the lineup.

</shrug>

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Correlation is not causation but it seemed the OL improvement that came late in '19 coincided with his moving out of the lineup.

</shrug>
Allen was not ALONE he had plenty of company on moving ....

#1- Blythe was moved out from starting RG & replaced by Edwards.
#2- Noteboom was moved to the IR & replaced by Corbett.
#3- Jamil Demby was moved from the top Swing Reserve OG to the Practice Squad.
#4- Finally the main person responsible for that 2019 initial season debacle Kromer was removed from his OL coaching position.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

#4- Finally the main person responsible for that 2019 initial season debacle Kromer was removed from his OL coaching position.

Kromer just left after 2020
Noteboom came back to start in 2020
Blythe was never out.He was put in to take over for Brian Allen
Demby just resigned again

Brian Allen first NFL to get Covid.Was not on game day rosters. Shelton was resigned to back up or replace Allen ?
Corbett was LG &’moved to RG in 2020

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Maybe I'm just feeling stubborn, but it just boggles my mind that this thread is still alive. Just watching the "lowlights" from shovelpass should be enough to convince anyone that Allen has a long, long, long way to go before he can even achieve 'mediocre' status.

Yes, the OL surrounding Allen sucked. Demby sucked. Blythe (when hurt) sucked. Noteboom at G sucked (was much better at LT).

But the key thing about the "lowlights" video is you can see plain as day Allen getting manhandled in 1 on 1 matchups. Just Allen vs. the guy in front of him, and Allen repeatedly got destroyed. Doesn't matter that the guys to left and right of him were poor also... when isolated 1 on 1, Allen was exposed

Im all for optimism and being a homer, but I just can't quite see how ppl hold out hope that Allen could ever be a decent NFL starter. I'll admit that I don't remember the specifics, but I recall SEVERAL games in 2019 when the board was pulling its hair out over Allen.

You wanna see a vid of an OL dominating? Check out this vid of Quinn Meinerz. Yes, it's DIV 3 (UW Whitewater), but Meinerz is just absolutely destroying the competition. I would LOVE for the Rams to pick this guy! Haven't seen this many 'pancakes' since Orlando Pace!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=so5tF4_ICxU

Flint

Pro Bowler
If he’s terrible and injured why’s he still on the team? An injury settlement on a rookie deal couldn’t have been that much, why not just start over?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Maybe I'm just feeling stubborn, but it just boggles my mind that this thread is still alive. Just watching the "lowlights" from Meinerz should be enough to convince anyone that Allen has a long, long, long way to go before he can even achieve 'mediocre' status.

Yes, the OL surrounding Allen sucked. Demby sucked. Blythe (when hurt) sucked. Noteboom at G sucked (was much better at LT).

But the key thing about the "lowlights" video is you can see plain as day Allen getting manhandled in 1 on 1 matchups. Just Allen vs. the guy in front of him, and Allen repeatedly got destroyed. Doesn't matter that the guys to left and right of him were poor also... when isolated 1 on 1, Allen was exposed

Im all for optimism and being a homer, but I just can't quite see how ppl hold out hope that Allen could ever be a decent NFL starter. I'll admit that I don't remember the specifics, but I recall SEVERAL games in 2019 when the board was pulling its hair out over Allen.

You wanna see a vid of an OL dominating? Check out this vid of Quinn Meinerz. Yes, it's DIV 3 (UW Whitewater), but Meinerz is just absolutely destroying the competition. I would LOVE for the Rams to pick this guy! Haven't seen this many 'pancakes' since Orlando Pace!

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=so5tF4_ICxU
Stubborn is permitted here I been doing it a lot in this thread:ok::).

I'll start with questions:

Why would the 2019 clips by Shovelpass have any major bearing here in 2021? Should those past moments in time with Allen almost 2 yrs ago be the end of all ends of any hope for an OL like Allen to be successful in the NFL? Am I to understand that the skills & abilities of an inexperienced OL'er thrown into a mess in 2019 are set in concrete & no expected upgrade in his future for..... let's say 2021?

I was always under the impression that it takes long time for college OL'ers to get up to NFL speed of things. Has that now changed? I thought that these young OL'ers need tons of on-field regular-season snaps to get them up to where they can perform the needed various type blocks demanded in today's NFL is that true?.

I find very few OL'ers ever just arrive & start. When this does happen you will usually find that rookie surrounded with excellent performing OL'ers. Allen was not surrounded by that element in 2019.

IMO & my position is Allen was an inexperienced OL'er who was not prepared for the team's starting center post. He had zero 2019 preseason games under his belt when he went into battle. He was then thrown into the very big world of starting NFL center with others who were just as inexperienced as he was. The failure occurred for all three of these interior OL'ers. Non have been playing promising ball in those 2019 assigned posts. Thats is a fact.

The "cherry-picked" snaps of Allen were just that. Allen's 8 finished games as a starter in the 2019 season were bad overall NOT deniable. That's not what I have been trying to present to this forum. So what Allen played like in those 8 2019 gms carries no water with me here in 2021, but what I have been attempting to shed light on is what other major OL issues were ongoing along at this same time had nothing to do with Allen. Those seemed to be "Canceled Out" not for discussion here@ ROD.

It was the situation that the 2019 Ram Org. put Allen in.......& it was far from being good! Bad decisions were being made by several of the Rams administrative coaching personnel. Allen should get saddled with his 2019 eight gms performance as bad, but the person or persons who made that mess share more in the blame.

Since you brought this out in your post ......You will not find one post in ROD where this poster has ever insisted that Allen would be a decent starter as you claimed. But he very might just end up doing that at some time if his knee is healthy. I have been very busy trying to paint in words as detailed as I can .....a picture of just what happened to Allen in 2019. Please believe me when I say ...I have no dog in this hunt.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Why would the 2019 clips by Shovelpass have any major bearing here in 2021? Should those past moments in time with Allen almost 2 yrs ago be the end of all ends of any hope for an OL like Allen to be successful in the NFL? Am I to understand that the skills & abilities of an inexperienced OL'er thrown into a mess in 2019 are set in concrete & no expected upgrade in his future for..... let's say 2021?

I was always under the impression that it takes long time for college OL'ers to get up to NFL speed of things. Has that now changed? I thought that these young OL'ers need tons of on-field regular-season snaps to get them up to where they can perform the needed various type blocks demanded in today's NFL is that true?.

I find very few OL'ers ever just arrive & start. When this does happen you will usually find that rookie surrounded with excellent performing OL'ers. Allen was not surrounded by that element in 2019.

IMO & my position is Allen was an inexperienced OL'er who was not prepared for the team's starting center post. He had zero 2019 preseason games under his belt when he went into battle. He was then thrown into the very big world of starting NFL center with others who were just as inexperienced as he was. The failure occurred for all three of these interior OL'ers. Non have been playing promising ball in those 2019 assigned posts. Thats is a fact.

The "cherry-picked" snaps of Allen were just that. Allen's 8 finished games as a starter in the 2019 season were bad overall NOT deniable. That's not what I have been trying to present to this forum. So what Allen played like in those 8 2019 gms carries no water with me here in 2021, but what I have been attempting to shed light on is what other major OL issues were ongoing along at this same time had nothing to do with Allen. Those seemed to be "Canceled Out" not for discussion here@ ROD.

It was the situation that the 2019 Ram Org. put Allen in.......& it was far from being good! Bad decisions were being made by several of the Rams administrative coaching personnel Allen should get saddled with his 2019 8 gms performance as bad but the person or persons share more in the blame.

Since you brought this out in your post ......You will not find one post in ROD where this poster has ever insisted that Allen would be a decent starter as you claimed. But he very might just end up doing that at some time if his knee is healthy. I have been very busy trying to paint in words as detailed as I can .....a picture of just what happened to Allen in 2019. Please believe me when I say ...I have no dog in this hunt.

Finally, I do not understand the reason for the need of presented college clips of OL with OC Meinerz dominating in college & how that is deemed to figure in here in this NFL Allen thread conversation. Do I need to post all the clips of the college OL'er Brian Allen dominating blocks @ Michigan?

VERY well said, Bonifay.

Let’s give the Allen kid his chance this offseason and go from there. WTH do we have to lose?

Ram65

Legend
I Allen was slow coming off the snap for some reason especially the shotgun snaps. I know that first game tape looked bad but, I thought he played better as the season went on. Of course, he did have Blythe next to him which didn't help. I guess we will find out this year if he has a future with the Rams.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

It was the situation that the 2019 Ram Org. put Allen in.......& it was far from being good! Bad decisions were being made by several of the Rams administrative coaching personnel. Allen should get saddled with his 2019 eight gms performance as bad, but the person or persons who made that mess share more in the blame.

What can I say Bonifay, just feeling stubborn on this one! Sometimes one sees enough of a player and an opinion gets "locked in."

IMHO Allen looks undersized and without enough power. IMHO no amount of coaching can change that. Only thing that could help is a MAJOR steroids diet, lol.

And yeah, if he struggled as a rookie, I might still hold hope. But he struggled after having one entire season (and off-season) under his belt. He had a full year with access to elite coaching and elite weight training, and he flopped.

Allen may have tons of heart and great technique-- I wouldn't know. IMHO he's just not big and strong enough to be anything more than a bottom tier player, at very best. But cheers to those who hold out hope.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But cheers to those who hold out hope.
I wouldn't exactly call it hope, although that's probably what McVay and Snead are doing. As '43 said... let's just give the kid a chance. It costs them nothing. Besides, when you're backing up Blythe... you don't have to be that good -lol.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What can I say Bonifay, just feeling stubborn on this one! Sometimes one sees enough of a player and an opinion gets "locked in."

IMHO Allen looks undersized and without enough power. IMHO no amount of coaching can change that. Only thing that could help is a MAJOR steroids diet, lol.

And yeah, if he struggled as a rookie, I might still hold hope. But he struggled after having one entire season (and off-season) under his belt. He had a full year with access to elite coaching and elite weight training, and he flopped.

Allen may have tons of heart and great technique-- I wouldn't know. IMHO he's just not big and strong enough to be anything more than a bottom tier player, at very best. But cheers to those who hold out hope.

If your saying Brian Allen sucks ?

My only defense in 2019 was The Rams were 3-0 to start the season. It was 50 points by Tampa at the Coliseum to have them going 3-1 as Brian Allen the starting CENTER. He also had Austin Blythe at RG & inexperienced Noteboom at LG.
My point is The Rams can win with Brian Allen at center.The Rams scored 40 points in that loss.
I also am with Bonifay’d in SAYING Brian Allen might not be as bad as most Ram Fans think.
—Austin Blythe is a undersized Center.Imo Brian Allen is stronger than Blythe & knows Mcvay as good as any Offensive Lineman on The Rams roster.

oldnotdead

Legend
People need to relax and put Allen's 2019 play into context. It was his first starting year at a position that is the hardest on the o-line. He outplayed Blythe's 2019 and 2020 efforts. He's an upgrade over Blythe in key areas. He has better field vision. He's a better pass blocker and he's more mobile. He played enough snaps in 2019 to show promise, ergo I for one assume McVay and Snead are going to pencil him in as the starter in 2021 as evidenced that they made no effort to resign Blythe despite McVay's public praise of him.

Shelton can play all interior o-line positions so if he's not starting then he's a valuable asset as a gameday backup. Personally, I like Shelton over Allen because IMO he brings more power to the game. Also, when you look at Whitworth's reworked contract there is no guarantee he will play this year. His play has obviously declined as he struggles with speed that was never a problem for him. He probably makes the team but if he doesn't it changes the dynamics of the makeup of the o-line.

With Blythe gone, IMO the only real question is not at center, but at RT. The Seahawks owned Rob who proved he can't handle a combination of speed and power. On some plays, he was merely a speed bump. The restructuring of Whitworth's contract may signal that Noteboom will play at RT for one or two years before moving to the left when Whitworth finally leaves.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
rhetorical question
True & a very good positive thing.

A rhetorical question is one for which the questioner does not expect a direct answer: in many cases it may be intended to start a discourse.

Discourse is in this case written words interchange of ideas; especially: conversation. One very big reason that ROD is in full operation today.(y):cool:

Last edited: