Why not Brian Allen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
25yo, 6’2” 315

9 starts in 2019, injured in game 9?

2018 36 snaps on offense, played mostly on ST.

2 false starts, 1 hold, 1 other

Trying to figure out why people seem to be so down on Allen. He played 36 snaps at C as a rookie with no starts. Wins the starter role in 2019 played 8+ games before the knee injury. I don’t recall him being terrible and it was a small sample size at best.

Convince me he can’t come back 2 years later and be a factor in the battle to be our starter.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
Hell to the no. I seen enough of him. He gets bullrushed even more than Blythe. So now we are so desperate we are gluing ice cream to the wall? No offense to you

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It has to be someone we have all heard of and it can't be anyone that we have already tried. them's the rules for the center discussion.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’ve got an open mind on Allen.

Just too small of a sample to make a final decision on him either way. WTH do we have to lose watching him in OTA’s and camp, maybe PS games?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
True enough that players can get stronger & smarter in two years, but how much of a toll has his injury taken on his ability to put things right ? He's still on the roster, so that must say something, the same might be said for Demby. I'm rooting for all Rams players to grow, but we still judge by what we see. jmo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It has to be someone we have all heard of and it can't be anyone that we have already tried. them's the rules for the center discussion.
preferably with several pro-bowls at center under his belt...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
25yo, 6’2” 315

9 starts in 2019, injured in game 9?

2018 36 snaps on offense, played mostly on ST.

2 false starts, 1 hold, 1 other

Trying to figure out why people seem to be so down on Allen. He played 36 snaps at C as a rookie with no starts. Wins the starter role in 2019 played 8+ games before the knee injury. I don’t recall him being terrible and it was a small sample size at best.

Convince me he can’t come back 2 years later and be a factor in the battle to be our starter.

He cannot block on the move at all in the run game. He didn’t hold up well in pass protection either.

Now he’s recovering from a bad knee injury. Is it a good idea to go into the season hoping that Allen wins the starting center job in camp, after missing most if not all of last year recovering? and was not good when he played prior to the knee injury?

I’d rather not roll the dice. Snead even said they don’t know how he will respond to playing after such a bad injury.

Throw in that when Allen was injured the position was immediately upgraded by Blythe moving to center. After watching Blythe last season I definitely don’t want him nor the guy he outplayed pencilled in at Center, nor being counted on to win the position.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
True enough that players can get stronger & smarter in two years, but how much of a toll has his injury taken on his ability to put things right ? He's still on the roster, so that must say something, the same might be said for Demby. I'm rooting for all Rams players to grow, but we still judge by what we see. jmo.

Maybe the Rams kept him on the roster with his cheap rookie contract to give him time to heal up from that injury he acquired while playing for them. It would be the right thing to do.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Too many unknowns. That's why. His injury status on top of his play when he got the gig as a younger player where he struggled so badly in pass pro and the calls.

But that doesn't mean he can't compete for the job. Open that shit up and let him compete. Maybe he's ready and takes advantage. That's the great thing about the NFL IMO. You can nail guys down in your mind by watching their film but every year you see guys who bust their asses and get better and win jobs they weren't expected to win. You never know because these guys are all talented and things like buy-in, schematic usage, and their give-a-F all factor in.

IMO we're gonna draft our center. I don't give a F who the vet they bring in is. None of these guys that are left are going to come in here and lock us down at center. The draft is where our future is IMO.

Rams4life

Rookie
Name
Bud
He cannot block on the move at all in the run game. He didn’t hold up well in pass protection either.

Now he’s recovering from a bad knee injury. Is it a good idea to go into the season hoping that Allen wins the starting center job in camp, after missing most if not all of last year recovering? and was not good when he played prior to the knee injury?

I’d rather not roll the dice. Snead even said they don’t know how he will respond to playing after such a bad injury.

Throw in that when Allen was injured the position was immediately upgraded by Blythe moving to center. After watching Blythe last season I definitely don’t want him nor the guy he outplayed pencilled in at Center, nor being counted on to win the position.
Post of the day my friend

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was a huge Allen backer when drafted and going into him starting. But his tape that year starting simply wasn't good. If he gets the call again I'll back him like I do all players in Horns but it might be best to add a draft pick at the spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Would seem ROD to be a little harsh on the talents & skill level of Brian Allen. So much based on what was witnessed at the beginning of the 2019 season, it's now 2021.

ROD could have researched to see who & what Allen was starting next to during the games he started in 2019. Does anyone remember the first time starting Joseph Noteboom who later went on IR playing next to Allen? To the other side of Allen was the well known poor blocking injured RG Austin Blythe (who most do not want to be seen in a Ram uni again) or Swing reserve OG Jamil Demby who for the first time played 7 quarters @ RG with Allen, for the injured Blythe & then played left OG for the injured Noteboom with Allen, before rookie Edwards stepped in. Should I bring up the early season knee injury that Rob Havenstein was playing through after the 2nd gm until he re-aggravated in wk 10 & rookie Bobby Evans took over the RT post?

Rams starting 2019 OL
Whitworth
Noteboom
Allen
Blythe
Havenstein

Rams ending 2019 season OL
Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans

Whitworth was the only original OL who remained to play in the same post. Truth is it does not carry any merit with so many.......:(

Could the Rams consider any of the alternatives to Austin Blythe? | Rams ON DEMAND
Which FA Center?? | Rams ON DEMAND

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Would seem ROD to be a little harsh on the talents & skill level of Brian Allen. So much based on what was witnessed at the beginning of the 2019 season, it's now 2021.

ROD could have researched to see who & what Allen was starting next to during the games he started in 2019. Does anyone remember the first time starting Joseph Noteboom who later went on IR playing next to Allen? To the other side of Allen was the well known poor blocking injured RG Austin Blythe (who most do not want to be seen in a Ram uni again) or Swing reserve OG Jamil Demby who for the first time played 7 quarters @ RG with Allen, for the injured Blythe & then played left OG for the injured Noteboom with Allen, before rookie Edwards stepped in. Should I bring up the early season knee injury that Rob Havenstein was playing through after the 2nd gm until he re-aggravated in wk 10 & rookie Bobby Evans took over the RT post?

Nah just screw the factual detail above, truth is it does not carry any merit with so many.......:(

Could the Rams consider any of the alternatives to Austin Blythe? | Rams ON DEMAND

It seems like most missed the part about bringing a convincing argument and went with fuck him he played shitty for half a season.

I know he also was out for a while with covid last year so that had to effect his recovery efforts too.

He’s on his rookie contract still, 25 years old, and knows the organization.

I’ve seen some say he moves well and gets to the second level better than Blythe ever did.

I don’t have access to PFF, does anyone have grades on him or All22 video showing how good or bad he was?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Still a hand full of solid vet Centres left in free agency. Each passing day they goes by, the money goes down to. Snead’s got this on lock! We will sign a vet OC to 1/2 year deal for around 2m per and draft a OC on day 3 of the draft
Book it fellas!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It seems like most missed the part about bringing a convincing argument and went with fuck him he played shitty for half a season.

I know he also was out for a while with covid last year so that had to effect his recovery efforts too.

He’s on his rookie contract still, 25 years old, and knows the organization.

I’ve seen some say he moves well and gets to the second level better than Blythe ever did.

I don’t have access to PFF, does anyone have grades on him or All22 video showing how good or bad he was?
It is hard to be able to respond to your post due to the fact it was two seasons back. It's also hard to recall all the moving different parts of that OL were involved in a whirlwind around Allen's first season starts.

Allen had a young inexperienced QB & surrounded with young inexperienced OG's playing on each side of him would make it extremely difficult to overcome. If the two OG's were effective experienced OG's then I would not be so voiceful in Allen's defense but today we should be fully aware that Blythe/Demby & Noteboom are NOT effective performing starting OG's in the NFL. Does anyone take that into consideration?

Now, look at what the Rams starting center (whomever) in 2021 will most likely have in comparison to what Allen had in 2019....Stafford is an outstanding proven experience QB. Both OG's Corbett & Edwards will begin their 3rd straight seasons as starters @ the OG post. Both are ascending young OG's who have been consistently graded as good. The two starting OT's are consistently graded very good & both are experienced. It's a different Ram OL now!

More than likely I believe Allen will be part of this Ram 2021 OL. The most likely part that he would fit best is .....as a swing interior reserve LG/RG/OC. Probably being the Rams 8th or 9th or 10th Ram OL on the 2021 roster

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Rams starting 2019 OL
Whitworth
Noteboom
Allen
Blythe
Havenstein

Rams ending 2019 season OL
Whitworth
Corbett
Blythe
Edwards
Evans

Whitworth was the only original OL who remained to play in the same post. Truth is it does not carry any merit with so many.......:(

The idea is to put an upgrade to Blythe at Center which in return should elevate the play of the guards by making their jobs easier.

Plug Allen in and you just made the guards job substantially more difficult

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We discussed him quite heavily 2 years ago. Think in fact I did some stills of him. He was up and down but did have a couple good games mixed in with many more not-good-enough outings.

If you search the site you'll be able to find them pretty easy.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I was a huge Allen backer when drafted and going into him starting. But his tape that year starting simply wasn't good. If he gets the call again I'll back him like I do all players in Horns but it might be best to add a draft pick at the spot.
I know Snead kind of talked down on the idea of drafting a rookie starter at center.
Which makes me think, that's exactly what were doing. lol
Also add in the fact that according to Detroit's center, Ragnow.
Stafford did a pretty good job of helping him with the line calls and tutoring him along.
My question to you is,
How many centers in this draft do you think are capable of coming in day one and starting?
If Any?