Why not Brian Allen?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I compiled a "lowlight" reel for week 1, it's week 1 for a younger player so growing pains are expected. Allen played much better in the 2nd half, it also looks like the offense changed their game plan though, less 1-on-1s and more movement. He seemed to struggle going head-up with a defender, but did well with combo blocks and in stretch zone/PA.

Thanks for posting this.

Some SERIOUS "lowlights" here... #55 getting blown-up again and again...

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Please on everything I love no. I almost vomited just reading the title.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And people wonder why Goff struggled in 19'
Those low lights were about 8 plays, fewer than the highlights available on YouTube. For a guy starting his first game in the league it was not terrible all in all.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Please on everything I love no. I almost vomited just reading the title.
You’ll have to talk to whoever the moderator is who changed to title, that was not mine.

Shuie3225

Starter
For a guy starting his first game in the league it was not terrible all in all.

Yes it was his first game but he wasn't a rookie. His rookie year was 2018 when he sat and learned from Sullivan and Kromer getting ready to start in his sophomore campaign. Then he came out after a full year of preparation and played terrible. People can make all the excuses they want for him but he wasn't good when on the field. He should not be in consideration to start next year, emergency depth only. Especially when at 57 we'll be in position to draft Humphry, Dickerson, Meinerz, and Myers.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yes it was his first game but he wasn't a rookie. His rookie year was 2018 when he sat and learned from Sullivan and Kromer getting ready to start in his sophomore campaign. Then he came out after a full year of preparation and played terrible. People can make all the excuses they want for him but he wasn't good when on the field. He should not be in consideration to start next year, emergency depth only. Especially when at 57 we'll be in position to draft Humphry, Dickerson, Meinerz, and Myers.

I don’t see the evidence that he played all that bad.

In the first 4 games there were plays where he anchored well and handled one on one situation good and others where he got beat. No one wins every play, especially in their first year as a starter.

I know he is credited with only giving up 1 sack in half a season and was not a penalty machine.

If they get someone better, I’m all for it. I wouldn’t mind seeing someone drafted as a long term solution. I’d prefer it if someone else would sign Blythe so we don’t have to worry about him coming back.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

In the first 4 games there were plays where he anchored well and handled one on one situation good and others where he got beat. No one wins every play, especially in their first year as a starter.

I know he is credited with only giving up 1 sack in half a season and was not a penalty machine.

If they get someone better, I’m all for it. I wouldn’t mind seeing someone drafted as a long term solution. I’d prefer it if someone else would sign Blythe so we don’t have to worry about him coming back.
I find it amazing that u think Allen played "okay" while watching those lowlights.

If he misses an assignment, or maybe gets beat on a play, that's one thing. But he got absolutely destroyed on SEVERAL plays. As in, DL shoves him back and into the RB's lap. As in, DL beats him so bad he's grasping at air and falls on the ground. As in, DL completely swats him aside with one arm.

As Merlin mentioned, this was not just the Carolina game. Allen had SEVERAL truly awful games.

shovelpass was kind enough to make a "lowlight" reel of that one Carolina game. But when someone gets physically overpowered on a consistent basis, it'll show up on multiple plays in multiple games.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I find it amazing that u think Allen played "okay" while watching those lowlights.

If he misses an assignment, or maybe gets beat on a play, that's one thing. But he got absolutely destroyed on SEVERAL plays. As in, DL shoves him back and into the RB's lap. As in, DL beats him so bad he's grasping at air and falls on the ground. As in, DL completely swats him aside with one arm.

As Merlin mentioned, this was not just the Carolina game. Allen had SEVERAL truly awful games.

shovelpass was kind enough to make a "lowlight" reel of that one Carolina game. But when someone gets physically overpowered on a consistent basis, it'll show up on multiple plays in multiple games.
That’s not what I said about the lowlights plays, not sure where you got that from what I posted.

What I did say is there were only about 8 plays in that compilation. AND, that there were just as many good plays in that same game.

If you’re going to evaluate, you have to look at it all not just what fits you’re narrative.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
That’s not what I said about the lowlights plays, not sure where you got that from what I posted.

What I did say is there were only about 8 plays in that compilation. AND, that there were just as many good plays in that same game.

If you’re going to evaluate, you have to look at it all not just what fits you’re narrative.
My POV is that if an OL has that many awful plays in one game, by definition he had a terrible game. I don't care if he had many "good" plays and many "neutral" plays. And Allen had at least 5 or 6 plays in the "awful" category in that game.

Seriously, I can't think of any Rams OL who had that many "awful" plays in one game since Greg Robinson.

Just my 2 cents...

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
The Rams have had draft fails at center since 1991.

Last one drafted that became an impactful starter for a few seasons was Brostek from the 1990 draft.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Vid's with comments from Snead, McVay and Kromer talking up T Anchrum have me wondering if they have been coaching him up as a center. No signing of a FA center and Blythe still unsigned makes it almost a certainty that center for 2021 will come from inhouse.

Anchrum is 6'2". 320lb, with a long wingspan, ideal for an NFL center.

After watching his college tape I'm amazed he fell to the 7th rd. He's going to beat out a current Rams OL starter in the near future He's going to get playing time in 2021.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ok I just watched the first 3 games of 2019 highlights on YouTube. I admit it was only highlights but I did not see Allen being driven into Goff’s lap. I saw him in the second level on a few of the big runs and him holding his own against Carolina, NO, and Cleveland.

From that, he had a decent start.

Highlights? There can’t be many

For I think there are three maybe four.
Creed Humphrey
Landon Dickerson
Quinn Meinerz (who we’ve met with twice)
Josh Meyers

There are a few others that are intriguing but I think those could come in start day 1 and with coaching and Staffords help take over the position and be upgrades.

Meet from Penn St grades high I just don’t know anything about him. Drew Dalman was Coach Carberry‘s guy at Stanford but I know nothing other than that. And Trey Hill from Georgia is an interesting blend of power with some finesse. I see some say he could fit in a zone scheme but would need work there though he’s very strong at the point of attack. Just needs work.

This all begs the question in what type of scheme are McVay and Carberry going to run? I’m pretty sure Stanford ran a system similar to Kromer but maybe mixed in a bit more power plays? Not certain again but he’s had some well coached lines and could have a couple more of his guys drafted this year.

tldr My favorites are Meinerz and Humphrey but others are interesting or good from what I’ve seen.

I don’t think Menet has the strength. He was highly regarded as a recruit but I’ve never seen dominant play from him. But PSU had an awful Oline coach for several years. Menet definitely can move but I’m leaning towards, I hope he’snot the pick.

Week 4 2019 was a freaking disaster that made Winston look good on top of 3 ints and a fumble returned for a TD for Goff. Most of the pressure came from the outside. Barrett had a day.

The Rams still put up 40 and lost.

Again just highlights but I don’t see Allen being a huge problem.

He rarely hit a block in the run game on the move. When he did it was hard to call it a block. It was more like a glancing shove.

I’m keeping an open mind on Allen.

Bonifay gave several good reasons to explain Allen’s debut. So, what’s the harm in giving him this offseason through camp and PS games?

I mean, what do we have to lose?

If he shines, he stays. If he sucks, he goes. Simple.

Based on his comments, I don’t think Anead agrees.

And people wonder why Goff struggled in 19'

That was definitely part of it.

You really need to watch some games. Basing your opinion on highlights and a video of some of his worst plays does not tell the whole story.

Vid's with comments from Snead, McVay and Kromer talking up T Anchrum have me wondering if they have been coaching him up as a center. No signing of a FA center and Blythe still unsigned makes it almost a certainty that center for 2021 will come from inhouse.

Anchrum is 6'2". 320lb, with a long wingspan, ideal for an NFL center.

After watching his college tape I'm amazed he fell to the 7th rd. He's going to beat out a current Rams OL starter in the near future He's going to get playing time in 2021.

He was listed as a center on draft day, however he was primarily being used as a backup tackle.I didn’t expect that but maybe it was only because Brewer opted out. Anchrum is not built like a tackle.

I was hoping he’d be competition for Blythe. Supposedly he is highly regarded, but we’ve heard that about a lot of players.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Highlights? There can’t be many

I don’t think Menet has the strength. He was highly regarded as a recruit but I’ve never seen dominant play from him. But PSU had an awful Oline coach for several years. Menet definitely can move but I’m leaning towards, I hope he’snot the pick.

He rarely hit a block in the run game on the move. When he did it was hard to call it a block. It was more like a glancing shove.

Based on his comments, I don’t think Anead agrees.

That was definitely part of it.

You really need to watch some games. Basing your opinion on highlights and a video of some of his worst plays does not tell the whole story.

He was listed as a center on draft day, however he was primarily being used as a backup tackle.I didn’t expect that but maybe it was only because Brewer opted out. Anchrum is not built like a tackle.

I was hoping he’d be competition for Blythe. Supposedly he is highly regarded, but we’ve heard that about a lot of players.
The highlights were the game highlights not his.

I’ve watched nearly every game for the last 25 years and as many as were broadcast in my local for 25 before that, yeah I’m old.

I must admit like most fans I don’t watch specific players as much as the ball. But have been looking to see if I could find film that shows enough to see good or bad from Allen.

I’m not set on him being the answer but, he’s on the roster and on a rookie contract. I think we have seen enough of Blythe but maybe a new coach gets one of them up to a respectable level of play.