Why isn’t Speights playing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade for a true NT. Neither Brown, Tyler Davis or Neville Gallimore are getting the job done.
I was going to say "how about trading for a good linebacker" but then I realized that would nake the Rams look foolish.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The Rams obviously thought EJ was milking the knee issue during training camp. My only concern was whether or not the Rams warned him before trading him. I personally don't think they did, based on EJ's comments. I get the "we not me" team culture... I just hope the Rams were "open and honest" with him because I really don't think he wanted to be traded, and that trade has been horrible for this team.
Time has a way of changing perceptions on these things.

For example let's say Jones has a great season this year, and his knee holds up and Tennessee inks him. The fallout will continue with Tenn fans saying thanks for the player (like we did with Dotson and the Steelers) but then fast forward a couple more years. Will they get their money's worth. I don't think that's a given, considering this knee has been an issue for him since college. I think he's a guy who will probably change once he's made his big paycheck.

Meanwhile we'll see what happens with Speights. He might be this year's preseason wonder that never amounts to shit. But as I mentioned before the season I still think the Rams have a chance to come out on top in this decision.

Obviously not having the Jones that is playing for Tennessee right now was a shitty change. But would we be seeing that guy right now had they not traded him? Or would he be going through the motions and trying to preserve himself for FA. I have a feeling it's the latter, and the Rams saw that coming, and cut bait to avoid it. Who knows, maybe they were right. Time will tell.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I gotta be honest... that "trade" with the Titans makes me sick every time I watch teams running the ball down our throats.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Time has a way of changing perceptions on these things.

For example let's say Jones has a great season this year, and his knee holds up and Tennessee inks him. The fallout will continue with Tenn fans saying thanks for the player (like we did with Dotson and the Steelers) but then fast forward a couple more years. Will they get their money's worth. I don't think that's a given, considering this knee has been an issue for him since college. I think he's a guy who will probably change once he's made his big paycheck.

Meanwhile we'll see what happens with Speights. He might be this year's preseason wonder that never amounts to shit. But as I mentioned before the season I still think the Rams have a chance to come out on top in this decision.

Obviously not having the Jones that is playing for Tennessee right now was a shitty change. But would we be seeing that guy right now had they not traded him? Or would he be going through the motions and trying to preserve himself for FA. I have a feeling it's the latter, and the Rams saw that coming, and cut bait to avoid it. Who knows, maybe they were right. Time will tell.
These are all great points, Merlin, but I am only concerned about this year. I wouldn't have cared if the Rams let him walk next year. He was/is playing for his next contract and the Rams could have drafted his replacement next year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I gotta be honest... that "trade" with the Titans makes me sick every time I watch teams running the ball down our throats.
Unlike some, I really don't believe that Ernest Jones would make a significant difference. Bobby Wagner in his prime perhaps. Or Fred Warner maybe. But, not Ernest Jones.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I don't know about you, but I'd rather pick the athletic rookie udfa out of LSU rather than the practice squad, former udfa's out of Penn State and South Dakota State.
Ok, I’ll play devil’s advocate.
What makes you or anybody think that Speights is ready? He flashed against PS/3rd stringers AT BEST during preseason. He might not be holding up as well vs our 1rst team OL in practice.

Is Speights ready to wear the green dot? He might be behind in understanding all of his assignments.

Finally, anybody playing behind this IDL is in for a mauling by legit, 300lb+, NFL offensive linemen if he doesn’t know what’s going on. Athleticism won’t save you.

…but whenever he IS ready, yeah, get his ass in for a try.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm fairly certain Corum was widely considered a good pass protector at Michigan. Baffling that he doesn't get some run.
You do realize that Michigan’s offense is quite different than the Rams, right?
Rams run 11 personnel meaning the RB’s have more pass pro responsibilities
Rivers has been a decent backup, what’s the rush with Corum?

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
What makes you or anybody think that Speights is ready? He flashed against PS/3rd stringers AT BEST during preseason. He might not be holding up as well vs our 1rst team OL in practice.

Is Speights ready to wear the green dot? He might be behind in understanding all of his assignments.

Finally, anybody playing behind this IDL is in for a mauling by legit, 300lb+, NFL offensive linemen if he doesn’t know what’s going on. Athleticism won’t save you.

1. Reeder or Rozeboom are not ready. Just bc they are starting does not mean they are succeeding.

2. Speights doesn't need to go against the oline, he needs to be the second line of defense when a runner breaks through our dline or hits the outside edge.

3. Rozeboom doesn't wear a green dot, he can't take his place?

4. I find it hard to believe that reeder and rozeboom, are better than Speights. Moot argument bc there's no evidence for or against it, but it just seems like the logical stance considering our linebacker are one of if not the worst in the league.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Would you say the defense is better without him?
Probably not so far. But outside of blitzing, I just don't think it would be that much better.

Maybe if I got to see him play significant time without Aaron Donald in front of him taking away so much attention.

But as I recall even Bobby Wagner past his prime still looked far better to me.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

This defense has issues at all three levels.

On the DL we don't have a good 5 man front (NT not up to snuff). At ILB we have two JAGs. And in the secondary it's a fucking mess.

The first we don't have a lot of options to fix. It's probably gonna be our biggest problem vs the run the rest of this season. We're basically hoping Davis develops or someone offers up a trade of a run stuffing DL.

The last there's sorting to do but it probably is waiting on Williams to return and maybe then we have enough back there. But problems are all over the place.

ILB is rather simple. We have two JAGs starting. And two options on the depth chart that looked good in preseason. Generally JAGs are backups, which ours are. So I seriously doubt there's gonna be all that much falloff. But hey if and when Speights plays and doesn't look good feel free to take a victory lap.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When he's ready, he'll be out there. But he's making a big transition and thinking he was going to play right away wasn't realistic.

If he was slated for a big role on defense they would've held him out of the preseason like they did Verse and Fiske.
And Corum…..oh wait

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why didn`t 32 teams draft him?

That's not the point. We were told by the team, aka jourdan, that the play of Speights was the reason they were comfortable trading away their only good lber on the roster away for peanuts.

Now, crickets.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
This defense has issues at all three levels.

On the DL we don't have a good 5 man front (NT not up to snuff). At ILB we have two JAGs. And in the secondary it's a fucking mess.

The first we don't have a lot of options to fix. It's probably gonna be our biggest problem vs the run the rest of this season. We're basically hoping Davis develops or someone offers up a trade of a run stuffing DL.

The last there's sorting to do but it probably is waiting on Williams to return and maybe then we have enough back there. But problems are all over the place.

ILB is rather simple. We have two JAGs starting. And two options on the depth chart that looked good in preseason. Generally JAGs are backups, which ours are. So I seriously doubt there's gonna be all that much falloff. But hey if and when Speights plays and doesn't look good feel free to take a victory lap.
I was with you all the way until that snipe at the end.
Why did you think that was necessary?

I have nothing against Speights. I don’t root against players. If they’re on the field, I want them to be successful. I just don’t think the defense is gonna turn around because of him (as you pointed out).
As for a trade, the Rams could very well be sellers if they don’t turn things around soon.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
1. Reeder or Rozeboom are not ready. Just bc they are starting does not mean they are succeeding.

2. Speights doesn't need to go against the oline, he needs to be the second line of defense when a runner breaks through our dline or hits the outside edge.

3. Rozeboom doesn't wear a green dot, he can't take his place?

4. I find it hard to believe that reeder and rozeboom, are better than Speights. Moot argument bc there's no evidence for or against it, but it just seems like the logical stance considering our linebacker are one of if not the worst in the league.
Certainly can’t argue with #3&4. Taking Rozeboom’s spot would probably make more sense.
…but that IDL has got to improve or it won’t make much difference vs the run.

We didn’t hear much from fred warner when the Rams played the 9ers because they had the same issues up front. Giving Havenstein a free release to block warner negated his physical play.

If Speights can make this defense better, though, put him in.

Tano

Legend
Certainly can’t argue with #3&4. Taking Rozeboom’s spot would probably make more sense.
…but that IDL has got to improve or it won’t make much difference vs the run.

We didn’t hear much from fred warner when the Rams played the 9ers because they had the same issues up front. Giving Havenstein a free release to block warner negated his physical play.

If Speights can make this defense better, though, put him in.
After 4 games we have the worst run defense in the league. Maybe it is because the defensive line is being blown out, but it is clear that Reeder and Rozeboom are not working. After 4 games, it is time to try something different.

Putting Speights and Hummell in may not help but at least we are trying something different.

The definition of insanity after all is .......

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably not so far. But outside of blitzing, I just don't think it would be that much better.

Maybe if I got to see him play significant time without Aaron Donald in front of him taking away so much attention.

But as I recall even Bobby Wagner past his prime still looked far better to me.
I honestly don’t know how that’s possible. I don’t think Jones necessarily changes the outcome of any games, but I surely know he vastly improves the play of the ILB