Why isn’t Speights playing?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think McVay is full of it. Either he is gas lighting us or he is serious about them not being good. But then McVay losing to the cards and bears is inexcusable getting pwned by newer coaches is embarassing. Maybe he should just play Hummels and Speights.
Hummel has been on the team for a couple of years.
If the Rams didn't like him he'd be gone.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Hummel has been on the team for a couple of years.
If the Rams didn't like him he'd be gone.
To not be rotated out with Roseboom or Reeder though? Like can’t you rotate that group? Try to find a perfect formula? We are lacking continuity it seems like. No consistency yet, but these issues are supposed to be ironed out by the start of the actual season. Pre season Hummels and Speights played against the Chargers number #1s and did damned good. But you also had Pleasant calling that game. So I don’t know.

fearsomefour

Legend
To not be rotated out with Roseboom or Reeder though? Like can’t you rotate that group? Try to find a perfect formula? We are lacking continuity it seems like. No consistency yet, but these issues are supposed to be ironed out by the start of the actual season. Pre season Hummels and Speights played against the Chargers number #1s and did damned good. But you also had Pleasant calling that game. So I don’t know.
Yeah, I agree with it all.
Coaches are strange animals.
McVay, for all of his greatness, has some irritating tendencies.

sloramfan

Starter
you don't rotate people in who are less than what you have on the field....

i like speights... but i have to trust the ones who know... not the fans...

sigh....

go rams

slo

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

sigh....

go rams

slo
I trust my own eyes. And the stat sheet says we have the worst run defense in the league. Could it be any worse if we put Speights in on a few obvious run downs?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We're going to need to ask @So Ram to interpret this.

Serious Question: Are you really not familiar with Devin White, or were you making a joke?
Well I’ll have to say I’m sort of embarrassed to say I don’t recall him much.That Tampa D’ ? That Super Bowl & there run was wasn’t into.
—I really liked Queen on that LSU team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

sigh....

go rams

slo

Well Wade was big on rotation.Still not sure the numbers of AD99’s snap count throughout his career?

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Not to beat a dead horse, but it ties into the EJ trade. I’m just sick of abysmal LB play, and thought, if we’re trading our best LB, it’s because Speights is gonna be replacing him. Not guys we know are awful.

If they were going to trade EJ they should have gotten a player in return instead of a pick for next season, IMO

dang

Legend
Just saw this on X. Hummel and Speights must really suck in practice if McVay thinks they can't do better than this.

Warning: This video clip is a tough watch...

View: https://x.com/RamsTapes/status/1841297235654684837?s=19

I’m sure McVay watches tape over and over. While this is only 2 plays it’s indicative of the consistently bad playing Rozeboom and the periodic ok play of Reeder. Together they are a deadly combo…against the Rams defensive prowess.

Psycho_X

Legend
Ok, so preseason is extremely vanilla and offenses hardly do anything to trick or misdirect opponents. We saw Speights and Hummel go against bad players and against bad, predictable offensive play calling. What we saw really has nothing to do with anything because everything they do in practices and the scrimmages between preseason games are going to be what tells the coaches if they are ready or not. So McVay isn't blowing smoke, they clearly do not like what Speights/Hummel are doing in practices yet.

Having said that, McVay won't shy away from playing them if he thinks they are the best option. But he is a bit of a stickler when it comes to practice and installing things during the bye. If we had beat the Bears I think we'd see changes over the bye week. Since we're a bit desperate at the moment I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes now but who knows.

Tano

Legend
Ok, so preseason is extremely vanilla and offenses hardly do anything to trick or misdirect opponents. We saw Speights and Hummel go against bad players and against bad, predictable offensive play calling. What we saw really has nothing to do with anything because everything they do in practices and the scrimmages between preseason games are going to be what tells the coaches if they are ready or not. So McVay isn't blowing smoke, they clearly do not like what Speights/Hummel are doing in practices yet.

Having said that, McVay won't shy away from playing them if he thinks they are the best option. But he is a bit of a stickler when it comes to practice and installing things during the bye. If we had beat the Bears I think we'd see changes over the bye week. Since we're a bit desperate at the moment I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes now but who knows.
Speights and Hummel also went against the Chargers number 1 OL and although the plays were vanilla, they still fought off blocks 1000 times better than what Reeder and Rozeboom have shown so far.

I have gotten to the point that I want Reeder or Rozeboom to get an ankle sprain that takes one of them out of the game so we can see if Speights or Hummel is better. I don't even care if it is only 10 plays that takes them out.

Let's see what Hummel or Speights can do for 10 plays. That's one drive.

We are already giving up a ton of points with Reeder/Rozeboom.

What's one drive going to do. Oh shoot - we gave up another TD with Speights/Hummel. Oh well. Reeder/Rozeboom would have given up the TD too.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
McVay isn't going to say a player is getting replaced. I think we'll start to see less of Rozeboom on the field going forward. Who replaces him? Maybe a Safety. Maybe a mixture of Hummel and Speights.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I mean WTF can Speights and Hummel be any worst then Reeder and Roseboom. At the very least please replace Roseboom with Speights.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Wait.... is Devin White actually available? a "healthy scratch" on the Eagles?? 5 other LB's are ahead of him, just because he's reluctant on ST's play?
Make it happen, Les.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reeder wears the green dot so while his play is bad he provides value. I'm ready to see Speights over Rozeboom though.

Side note: it's a shame that players who have the best names usually don't pan out. Rozeboom is a great name for a linebacker.

Psycho_X

Legend
I mean WTF can Speights and Hummel be any worst then Reeder and Roseboom. At the very least please replace Roseboom with Speights.
Well, if offense does motion and Speights gets fooled and runs to the left when he should be going right and he's 15 yards from the play instead of the two steps behind Reeder usually is... is that better or worse? Reeder at least has a shot at making a play even though he usually doesn't where Speights has zero chance. It sucks, no one wants to see Speights get a shot more than me but if he's not getting assignments right in practice than the Packers are going to make him look like an idiot instead of just slow.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
IF the Rams put Speights in at linebacker, opposing teams may target him in coverage. Perhaps that is the reason why he hasn't seen the field. We all saw him stuff dudes in the preseason but McVay has seen him in practice and in scrimmages against other teams, and he may have trouble in coverage. Just a thought.
Trouble in coverage is Rosenbum's middle name.