Why Chop Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't buy that Elm. 30% of snaps for a talent like him is a red flag to me.

Good thing is the Rams undoubtedly went over this extensively with the staff there at Penn St. So if what you say is true then there will be a very good chance Chop's a target. Thankfully we will find out soon. And I will be very happy if we go Edge. I prefer Edge or LT at the top.
You don’t buy it? LOL it’s a fact. I watch every Penn State game. They have an even better talent at edge in Dani Dennis Sutton and they rotated him too. They rotated Adisa Isaac too. Chop was also injured for 2-3/4 games.

Just say you don’t think he’s very good. It would be more genuine. It doesn’t matter to me if you don’t think he will be good. It’s not going to hurt my feelings. The intent of the post was to ponder what the Rams see in him that would cause them to fly to PA to visit him. Maybe they really wanted to talk to more than just Chop. PSU has a few draftable players.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You don’t buy it? LOL it’s a fact. I watch every Penn State game. They have an even better talent at edge in Dani Dennis Sutton and they rotated him too. They rotated Adisa Isaac too. Chop was also injured for 2-3/4 games.

Just say you don’t think he’s very good. It would be more genuine. It doesn’t matter to me if you don’t think he will be good. It’s not going to hurt my feelings. The intent of the post was to ponder what the Rams see in him that would cause them to fly to PA to visit him. Maybe they really wanted to talk to more than just Chop. PSU has a few draftable players.
I think it is fair to say I don't buy that the rationale for his low snaps is solely rotation of personnel to be fresh. I know you're a Penn St homer. It's why I asked your take on this dude a while back. But for all anyone from the fan side knows maybe he gets dinged up or has some sort of issue where they don't want to risk him being hurt. There's guys who get those minor injuries and maybe still can play but it's limited.

And note that I'm not saying I know for a fact that's the case. Just that I don't buy it's a clear cut thing. So I basically wouldn't flush concerns on the low snap count based on that. Hope that makes sense.

You think I don't like the player. That's not true. The dude has some of the best rush potency of any player in this draft. But the snap counts and production side concern me. I don't think I'm a hater for that opinion my man. Cheers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Chop can be a very good pass rusher in the NFL that's just my 2 cents and I didn't watch nearly as much PSU as you did. People are criminally under valuing him, unless he's drafted to a bad situation/coach/team he should be good in the NFL but it's all a crap shoot. I also think he's going to be drafted Thursday night not on Friday.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think it is fair to say I don't buy that the rationale for his low snaps is solely rotation of personnel to be fresh. I know you're a Penn St homer. It's why I asked your take on this dude a while back. But for all anyone from the fan side knows maybe he gets dinged up or has some sort of issue where they don't want to risk him being hurt. There's guys who get those minor injuries and maybe still can play but it's limited.

And note that I'm not saying I know for a fact that's the case. Just that I don't buy it's a clear cut thing. So I basically wouldn't flush concerns on the low snap count based on that. Hope that makes sense.

You think I don't like the player. That's not true. The dude has some of the best rush potency of any player in this draft. But the snap counts and production side concern me. I don't think I'm a hater for that opinion my man. Cheers.
You are jumping to conclusions.

Franklin also believes in rotating runningbacks no matter how highly ranked they were. The two starting RBs were almost exactly 50/50 in carries the last two seasons. It’s part of the sales pitch to attract recruits. They believe that it’s better for their NFL potential if they play fewer snaps.

It could be why PSU has a reputation for under developing players. I think it was Tice who said Penn State players usually play better in the NFL. It’s part of why he likes Theo Johnson’s potential.

I also think it has a bit to do with the types of players Franklin recruits. He rarely gets the five stars so he focuses on elite traits or overall athleticism.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The dude has some of the best rush potency of any player in this draft. But the snap counts and production side concern me. I don't think I'm a hater for that opinion my man. Cheers.
It doesnt add up for many of us. I think it's Fair questions you ask. I'd even suggest that for a guy who has limited snaps, who's kept more "fresh", I'd really expect production. Seems odd that such an uber talented guy couldnt make a single tackle in either the Michigan or Ohio State game.
Alas, I surely trust the Rams brain trust more than my own eye, so if they call his number on draft day, I support it 100%

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
A 4 sack player in the first round? That’s insane.

This one screams Vernon Gholston all over again. I don’t care about combine and pro day numbers, I care about production and he does not have it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

This one screams Vernon Gholston all over again. I don’t care about combine and pro day numbers, I care about production and he does not have it.
Well, supposedly the Rams went to talk to him. Either they see something they like, or want some answers about why his numbers are down. He didn’t have as many snaps as some of the other edge guys and if extrapolated out, he’s much closer to their numbers. Maybe they think he just needs coached better. He had a funky looking stance that likely slowed him down.

He’s a bit down on my list of first rounders that I’d like the Rams to pick. But, I hated hearing that the Rams visited Tutu close to the draft and they went and picked him. So I’m prepared to be disappointed.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Chop can be a very good pass rusher in the NFL that's just my 2 cents and I didn't watch nearly as much PSU as you did. People are criminally under valuing him, unless he's drafted to a bad situation/coach/team he should be good in the NFL but it's all a crap shoot. I also think he's going to be drafted Thursday night not on Friday.
If Chop had 10+ sacks, he's probably in the discussion for the 1st defensive player taken in the draft, just based on his athletic testing. He didn't thus the reduced value he can be had at.

Vernon Gholston is a bad comp. He was a freaking ANIMAL in college producing 14 sacks/15.5 TFL in his Junior year. Gholston registered zero sacks in his illustrious NFL career. I think it may be the opposite case here. Give Chop the playtime and I'm willing to bet he produces.

The best comp happens to be a guy from the same school a few years back (based on lack of college production), Oweh. He hasn't put it together in the NFL but it shouldn't preclude someone from thinking Chop will.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
1. Latu
2. Turner
3. Verse
4. Robinson
5. Braswell

That is the "perceived" order of desired Edge rushers. Who are we to say any of them are better for the Rams than the others?

We all like Latu. He's got a lot of moves, more than the rest. But that neck injury.....

Turner played for Alabama and much like anybody who has had a cup of coffee with McVay getting HC interviews, anybody playing for Alabama automatically has a leg up on the competition. Why?

Verse is solid, rushing the passer and playing the run. His achilles is coverage.

Robinson supposedly has measurables comparable to Von Miller. But not the numbers, for whatever reason.

Braswell is the safety valve, should they go LT, WR, CB or DT with their first pick. But didn't he play for Bama too?

So should we really be disappointed if they go another direction OR pick ANY of those 5 guys? I-Trust-Their-Judgement. They want to win it all more than we want them to win it all.

I would take ANY of them, gladly. Maybe the question should be, "why not Chop Robinson?"

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
1. Latu
2. Turner
3. Verse
4. Robinson
5. Braswell

That is the "perceived" order of desired Edge rushers. Who are we to say any of them are better for the Rams than the others?

We all like Latu. He's got a lot of moves, more than the rest. But that neck injury.....

Turner played for Alabama and much like anybody who has had a cup of coffee with McVay getting HC interviews, anybody playing for Alabama automatically has a leg up on the competition. Why?

Verse is solid, rushing the passer and playing the run. His achilles is coverage.

Robinson supposedly has measurables comparable to Von Miller. But not the numbers, for whatever reason.

Braswell is the safety valve, should they go LT, WR, CB or DT with their first pick. But didn't he play for Bama too?

So should we really be disappointed if they go another direction OR pick ANY of those 5 guys? I-Trust-Their-Judgement. They want to win it all more than we want them to win it all.

I would take ANY of them, gladly. Maybe the question should be, "why not Chop Robinson?"
I think Braswell is a bit slept on and may be gone before we pick in 2nd. Dude produced damn near as well as Turner in the same defense. He even graded out as a better run defender then Turner.

Turner had more then double the snaps as Chop or else we are talking about Chop in the top half of first IMO. And, he's a better run defender by most metrics I've seen.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Trade back to Philly at 22, they are looking to move up for an OL or CB, and just sit there and take anyone of Murphy, Newton, Robinson, Dejean, Thomas, or Latu. Whichever one they like best who falls to 22. Maybe move back again to the 25 or 26 range and one of those guys is still likley to be there.

Philly has pick 120, to move back 3 spots, that and maybe another 4th next yr. I would take that.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Trade back to Philly at 22, they are looking to move up for an OL or CB, and just sit there and take anyone of Murphy, Newton, Robinson, Dejean, Thomas, or Latu. Whichever one they like best who falls to 22. Maybe move back again to the 25 or 26 range and one of those guys is still likley to be there.

Philly has pick 120, to move back 3 spots, that and maybe another 4th next yr. I would take that.
Good plan if they thin kthe talent is the same from 19-25 --- but if there is a top 10 guy who falls ... and he fits, take him at 19.

Woudl like a trade back to get an extra third as long as one of the targets will be there.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It doesnt add up for many of us. I think it's Fair questions you ask. I'd even suggest that for a guy who has limited snaps, who's kept more "fresh", I'd really expect production. Seems odd that such an uber talented guy couldnt make a single tackle in either the Michigan or Ohio State game.
Alas, I surely trust the Rams brain trust more than my own eye, so if they call his number on draft day, I support it 100%
Nicely summarized and I will say again I have no problem with the Rams taking him. You gotta roll the dice sometimes to hit on the better players and Chop has a chance to be a top edge I think. There's just certain things I'm sort of immune from biting on storylines, and production is one of them. Seems to me like the top guys tend to produce at a high level at every level. So I'm sort of conditioned on that from years of following drafts, starting back when that was all we had going as Rams faithful. When it was our Super Bowl. :laugh3:

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Seems odd that such an uber talented guy couldnt make a single tackle in either the Michigan or Ohio State game.

Don't know about Ohio State game --- but in Michigan, he dominated ... at least on pass downs ...I only saw one mistake, and it really wasn't his fault. But he rushes well, gets them to get ball out quick. Uses leverage to set edge, takes on double teams. I didn't see stats but if he didn't make any tackles it's because he was forced ball inside, and even from a 7-tech he kept contain ...

I am not saying get him at all costs ... I think 19 may be too high ... trading down and getting a third and then getting him would be okay if that is the route Rams choose.

SOmetimes bad stats is a bad game. Sometimes bad stats are deceiving. In this one case .. Michigan, looks to be a great game. They were scared of him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DQaQUj0VwM

For Ohio state, that right tackle did a good job on him ... still some good plays, but didn't seem dominant in this game

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiq34boIHR4

MachS

Hall of Fame
Duck Dynasty GIF by DefyTV

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
If Chop had 10+ sacks, he's probably in the discussion for the 1st defensive player taken in the draft, just based on his athletic testing. He didn't thus the reduced value he can be had at.

Vernon Gholston is a bad comp. He was a freaking ANIMAL in college producing 14 sacks/15.5 TFL in his Junior year. Gholston registered zero sacks in his illustrious NFL career. I think it may be the opposite case here. Give Chop the playtime and I'm willing to bet he produces.

The best comp happens to be a guy from the same school a few years back (based on lack of college production), Oweh. He hasn't put it together in the NFL but it shouldn't preclude someone from thinking Chop will.

So the Gholston comp was more-so a tongue in cheek reference to the fights I used to get into with people back then on a different board, I wanted Long because he had steady production and the others wanted Gholston because he was an absolute freak but a one hit wonder.

The rams seem to be pretty keen on taking “football players” meaning they usually dont care all that much for combine numbers. They care more about IQ and production.

I believe that’s why we’ve drafted so well lately. If they pick Robinson I will obviously root for him to do well. I just don’t think he’s it from the very limited I’ve seen of him.

I’ll be happy to be wrong should the rams pick him though

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Don't know about Ohio State game --- but in Michigan, he dominated ... at least on pass downs ...I only saw one mistake, and it really wasn't his fault. But he rushes well, gets them to get ball out quick. Uses leverage to set edge, takes on double teams. I didn't see stats but if he didn't make any tackles it's because he was forced ball inside, and even from a 7-tech he kept contain ...

I am not saying get him at all costs ... I think 19 may be too high ... trading down and getting a third and then getting him would be okay if that is the route Rams choose.

SOmetimes bad stats is a bad game. Sometimes bad stats are deceiving. In this one case .. Michigan, looks to be a great game. They were scared of him.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DQaQUj0VwM

For Ohio state, that right tackle did a good job on him ... still some good plays, but didn't seem dominant in this game

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aiq34boIHR4

Plus he was injured before the half in the Ohio State game. It limited his opportunities.

Like you said. He turns the play inside. He hurries the QB. What I’ve also noticed is that he can get too deep and can get run out of the play.

In a video that @Memphis shared the guy said he has a funky awkward stance that shouldn’t work, but he’s still very fast out of it. He thinks that NFL coaching will really benefit Chop Robinson.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So the Gholston comp was more-so a tongue in cheek reference to the fights I used to get into with people back then on a different board, I wanted Long because he had steady production and the others wanted Gholston because he was an absolute freak but a one hit wonder.

The rams seem to be pretty keen on taking “football players” meaning they usually dont care all that much for combine numbers. They care more about IQ and production.

I believe that’s why we’ve drafted so well lately. If they pick Robinson I will obviously root for him to do well. I just don’t think he’s it from the very limited I’ve seen of him.

I’ll be happy to be wrong should the rams pick him though
The Rams totals for Relative Athletic Scores, in this last draft were one of the highest in the league.

I think what they are doing is a combination of character, production, and athleticism. Snead has always been an athletic freaks guy. But in the last few years he has altered his formula. I’d say that the character, leadership, love for football was as big if not a bigger part of it than production.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Agreed. Ghoulston is a terrible comp. Oweh was such a raw athlete. That’s a better one but I think Chop is a better football player. iirc Oweh came late to football. Chop has been doing it his whole life.