Why Chop Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Von Miller
IMG_9152.jpeg

Chop Robinson
IMG_9153.jpeg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Von Miller
IMG_9158.jpeg

Chop Robinson
IMG_9157.jpeg

Walter left out Elite first step

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@Corbin put me onto this comparison. They have very similar traits.

The traits are similar to every edge rusher Snead has drafted. This is an article from Turfshowtimes outlining that. https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/3/28/23659882/rams-draft-edge-rushers-traits-mock-fits-les-snead

McVay and Snead coveted Von Miller. Can they be seeing a closer comparison than many of the Rams fans on this site?

Remember. Chop had about half of the snaps as the other top edge rushers in this class. So it makes sense that his stats don’t match up.

I’m just throwing this out there. I still want JerZhan Newton in round 1

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Von Miller
IMG_2359.jpeg

Chop Robinson
IMG_2360.jpeg

You can compare the t-shirt Olympics, but on field production matters.

I actually like the potential of Chop, but I wouldn’t take him in the first. Maybe a trade up in the second. There’s much safer impact players that the rams can get in round 1

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I originally had him on my 10 foot pole list due to his lack of production in college. I’ve read or heard enough positive comments from knowledgeable people since then to put him on my board, but I still think there will be better options at 19. If we trade back a bit, though, he could be worth a shot.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@Elmgrovegnome when I watched Chop against Ohio State, I never saw him make a play. Now I do believe in his upside and he is very young, however, I just wished I had seen more.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
@Elmgrovegnome when I watched Chop against Ohio State, I never saw him make a play. Now I do believe in his upside and he is very young, however, I just wished I had seen more.
That was exactly my thought when I watched a replay of every defensive snap Robinson had against Illinois early in the season.

Just didn’t see him having any impact.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I like the quick explosiveness on his first step. But all I've seen is the highlights that only show the good stuff. If he was that good you wouldn't see a few mocks having him go in the 2nd round. I'd agree a trade down if he's a guy they want to target.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Von Miller
View attachment 65244
Chop Robinson
View attachment 65245

I actually like the potential of Chop, but I wouldn’t take him in the first. Maybe a trade up in the second. There’s much safer impact players that the rams can get in round 1
What's the snap count difference? I know Von was out there almost the entire game every week. I'm pretty sure that isn't the case for Chop.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Von Miller
View attachment 65244
Chop Robinson
View attachment 65245

Snap counts matter. PSU rotated players on the defense regularly
He was injured and left the game before halftime. So who knows.

I’m just trying to reason out why the Rams flew to PSU to meet with Chop.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I like the quick explosiveness on his first step. But all I've seen is the highlights that only show the good stuff. If he was that good you wouldn't see a few mocks having him go in the 2nd round. I'd agree a trade down if he's a guy they want to target.
Again. I’m just trying to figure out why the Rams flew to PSU to meet with him. Kiper has been saying that he hears that Chop is going to be picked earlier than most people think. He’s claiming in the teens.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't want projects at 19 unless it's a QB.
Coaches and GMs talk themselves into players based on potential every year. Snead has always been an athletic traits guy. Maybe they they wanted to test him to see if they think he can make adjustments quickly.

I still prefer Newton. He was more productive and is a more finished product

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Again. I’m just trying to figure out why the Rams flew to PSU to meet with him. Kiper has been saying that he hears that Chop is going to be picked earlier than most people think. He’s claiming in the teens.
It is possible they are ok with moving up in the 2nd and nabbing him after grabbing a Murphy/Newton/B.Thomas at 19 (or even trading down a bit to get more ammo to jump up)? He'd make a hell of a 2nd pick

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I don't have access to Penn State snap counts, but I see that Robinson's teammate, Adisa Isaac, had more tackles (37 to 15) and more sacks (7.5 to 4.0). I'm guessing that their snap counts were comparable. Correct me if I'm wrong. If they're not... why was Isaac on the field more?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I suspect it's cause they're contemplating trade down scenarios AND because Robinson has such an issue of lack of production, they want to take a closer look here than they need to with other edge rushers.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
What's the snap count difference? I know Von was out there almost the entire game every week. I'm pretty sure that isn't the case for Chop.

Snap counts matter. PSU rotated players on the defense regularly

He was injured and left the game before halftime. So who knows.

I’m just trying to reason out why the Rams flew to PSU to meet with Chop.

I get that they rotated players and he had less snaps; however, you have to wonder why he would leave the field consistently if he was a true difference maker.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I don't have access to Penn State snap counts, but I see that Robinson's teammate, Adisa Isaac, had more tackles (37 to 15) and more sacks (7.5 to 4.0). I'm guessing that their snap counts were comparable. Correct me if I'm wrong. If they're not... why was Isaac on the field more?
Snap counts:
Chop - 303
Isaac - 400

Have to remember, Isaac played 3 more games then Chop, who was injured and missed game 6, 9, 10 and the bowl game. I'm sure that makes up the snap count discrepancy.