Why Chop Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Chop looked pretty dang good in those Michigan highlights. He was wrecking the OL rushing the passer. McCarthy clearly had enough after a few early hits and was having to get rid of the ball early to avoid more Chop hits. He was on the QB fast almost each drop back.

Run defense wasn’t much at all. But hard to tell and analyze that (for me)

WestCoastRam

Legend
Somewhere online I saw someone compare Robinson to Vernon Gholston. I think they were specifically referring to the hype that surrounded Gholston when he was coming out on Ohio State. It looks like Robinson is more explosive and even more athletic than Gholston so I don’t think the comparison is necessarily accurate from that standpoint. However, I remember some Rams fans declaring that choosing Chris Long over Gholston was a mistake. If memory serves Gholston actually had decent production in college. Robinson worries me.
I think this is a great comparison because I think you're looking at guys available to us who are going to be like Chris Long. Not stylistically at all the same but that I think with Verse and Latu for different reasons, you're going to get solid but not all-pro pass rushers and run defenders. Guys who will get you 8-12 sacks a year with maybe a variance year of 14 sometime. (So maybe a tiny bit better than Long).

That's why I'm a bit like whatever happens I'm good with it, we're not getting that stud pass rusher so it really just becomes what kind of flavor we want at edge or we go in a different direction.

Edit: I guess if you want to really bet on traits, you pick Chop, and hope for the best. He's got the traits to become a Von Miller but betting on that is a story as old as time.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Somewhere online I saw someone compare Robinson to Vernon Gholston. I think they were specifically referring to the hype that surrounded Gholston when he was coming out on Ohio State. It looks like Robinson is more explosive and even more athletic than Gholston so I don’t think the comparison is necessarily accurate from that standpoint. However, I remember some Rams fans declaring that choosing Chris Long over Gholston was a mistake. If memory serves Gholston actually had decent production in college. Robinson worries me.
Gholston was a dominator in college, so kind of opposite of Chops production in college. Also, Gholston was a completely rocked up athlete, weighed north of 260 lbs. His game was built on strength, much more similar to a Verse.

Gholston is a terrifying prospect however. He registered ZERO sacks in his 3 year career. YUCK

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He just turned 21 in January. Verse & Latua turned 23 in Nov & Dec of 2023.

Those 2 yrs matter. Where was the draft stock of Latua & Verse 2 yrs ago? Would they have been 1st rounders back then?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He just turned 21 in January. Verse & Latua turned 23 in Nov & Dec of 2023.

Those 2 yrs matter. Where was the draft stock of Latua & Verse 2 yrs ago? Would they have been 1st rounders back then?
Great point! Be loving myself some Chop after reading these posts. This wait is killing me :)

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
You guys are making me more ok with Chop, especially the youth side of things. But, if pick 19 comes around and Latu, Verse, and Turner are all gone, we have to take Chop right then right? You only trade back for Chop if other rushers are still on the board. But then some are going to get mad that we traded back instead of grabbing Latu or Verse in that scenario.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys are making me more ok with Chop, especially the youth side of things. But, if pick 19 comes around and Latu, Verse, and Turner are all gone, we have to take Chop right then right? You only trade back for Chop if other rushers are still on the board. But then some are going to get mad that we traded back instead of grabbing Latu or Verse in that scenario.
I'm coming around to this. If there is several of these guys on the board at 19, trading back (if we have someone trying to move up) is the best route:
Latu
Verse
Newton
Murphy
Arnold
Mitchell
Turner
Robinson

After watching more game tape of Chop, I'm starting to warm to him too. Age, athleticism, and sheer dominance on some plays are all in his favor.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Sure let's bring in someone who averages 4 sacks and 16 tackles for a whole season. Nah, I'll pass, and I pray the Rams do too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Turner is overrated. Verse is okay but he’s more of a power rusher. Latu’s injury still had to be a concern seeing how OTs are allowed to grab edge rushers around the neck. Chip is raw and needs developing.

They all have negatives

Last edited:

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, I agree, they all do have some kind of negatives. A lot of Chops actual negatives is that PSU swapped out players a lot, to the tune of Chop only getting 30% of the defensive snaps (not just him).

Breaking it down further:
Chop: 303 snaps
Latu: 535 snaps
Turner: 647 snaps
Verse: 586 snaps

So, he had nearly half the snaps of all the top edge prospects. With his over 20% pass rush win rate, it would be expected that he would have at least doubled his sacks and hurries given the same amount of play time as the others. He is superior in every metric to Turner and also happens to be the youngest of the group (by exactly a month over Turner). In fact, he is only beaten by Latu in the metrics and Latu is older and has a neck fusion.

While I initially hated the idea of taking Chop, I've come around. The kid needs to be on the field and getting into a rhythm to get results. I think Latu is the better player but has far more risks and is 2 years older with more wear.

I would not be mad if they ultimately decided Chop was who they want, I'd be actually quite happy if they did that with a small trade down.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
There is a lot to like about Chop. The way he gets underneath tackles is
special. Takes away their leverage ... the rips past.

This is NFL-level move ... whether it will work vs NFL talent, I don't know
but this is good stuff.

2024-04-19_14-12-14.jpg

2024-04-19_14-08-42.jpg

2024-04-19_14-14-29.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams could trade back ? Jake Bong has a podcast on trade trade trade.

It’s going to be interesting to see what The Rams will do with the 19th pick.

My question would be where does Chop Robinson go in The Draft ? Then Nsead could trade back to that spot. He did that with Taylor Rapp in 2019. Didn’t like them traded up for D. Henderson.Polard was the better RB from Memphis .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yes, I agree, they all do have some kind of negatives. A lot of Chops actual negatives is that PSU swapped out players a lot, to the tune of Chop only getting 30% of the defensive snaps (not just him).

Breaking it down further:
Chop: 303 snaps
Latu: 535 snaps
Turner: 647 snaps
Verse: 586 snaps

So, he had nearly half the snaps of all the top edge prospects.
I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the Rams had the conversation with the Penn St coaches on him. Specifically the question of why was he played so infrequently. Because there is usually a reason for keeping a player of his skills off the field, otherwise the staff is purposely destroying their chances to win as much as their roster allows.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the Rams had the conversation with the Penn St coaches on him. Specifically the question of why was he played so infrequently. Because there is usually a reason for keeping a player of his skills off the field, otherwise the staff is purposely destroying their chances to win as much as their roster allows.
It’s the Manny Diaz defense. They rotated everybody on defense. They did it with DTs Corners and Safeties. They didn’t do it as much with MLBs. They didn’t have the talent depth there. Diaz wanted everybody playing fast all game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It’s the Manny Diaz defense. They rotated everybody on defense. They did it with DTs Corners and Safeties. They didn’t do it as much with MLBs. They didn’t have the talent depth there. Diaz wanted everybody playing fast all game.
I don't buy that Elm. 30% of snaps for a talent like him is a red flag to me.

Good thing is the Rams undoubtedly went over this extensively with the staff there at Penn St. So if what you say is true then there will be a very good chance Chop's a target. Thankfully we will find out soon. And I will be very happy if we go Edge. I prefer Edge or LT at the top.