Why Chop Robinson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I get that they rotated players and he had less snaps; however, you have to wonder why he would leave the field consistently if he was a true difference maker.
Because it's a talented team with lots of difference makers. Rotating keeps them fresh. AD played a lot of snaps but not all of them, that's usually only DBs with the Rams. All of our recent DE and DT rotated. Not a new thing at all.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
As far as what the stats tell you, Isaac is the superior run defender, while Chop is the superior pass rusher. They are both above average at the latter as well however.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's part of it but is far from telling the whole picture. Who was run at who was doubled. There are so many factors in it that box score scouting doesn't give the whole picture. There's a reason they're projected to be drafted differently. Did the Rams meet with Isaac? That also should tell you something. Like Snead and McVay always say, trust the tape. There's a reason they're meeting with Chop and it might not jive with your opinions of him or other prospects.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
There's a reason they're meeting with Chop and it might not jive with your opinions of him or other prospects.
They are going to test his acumen IMHO, remember, how they felt about Kupp, who was able to diagram plays for them, IMO, they understand the athletic ability for Robinson is huge, but they have been fooled before by another with the same surname.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, somebody is going to draft Newton and he is going to be stellar and everyone is going to ask, how did others not see this?
It's silly season and it's full of smoke but I've heard some say they here pick 15 to top 5 in the second for Newton.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are going to test his acumen IMHO, remember, how they felt about Kupp, who was able to diagram plays for them, IMO, they understand the athletic ability for Robinson is huge, but they have been fooled before by another with the same surname.
And they've passed on athletes before and missed out. Or they've traded back like some insist they do and missed out. It goes both ways. In the end if they like the player they need to take him. And keep in mind I'm not pushing for us to draft Chop, I like the other edge that some don't in Verse, but if they take him I get it and won't lose my mind over it.

I started on the Quinyon train and have moved to Verse after the Williams and White signings. I think we're better off with an edge first and DT in the 2nd or even 3rd.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Snap counts:
Chop - 303
Isaac - 400

Have to remember, Isaac played 3 more games then Chop, who was injured and missed game 6, 9, 10 and the bowl game. I'm sure that makes up the snap count discrepancy.
That might account, to an extent, for the sack totals, but not the discrepancy in tackles.

No matter how you slice it, Robinson's measurables and productivity don't quite match up. That doesn't mean he won't be successful in the NFL. It is a factor to consider, though.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it just comes down to what's been said repeatedly, Chop will get drafted more for his potential than for his production. That's not a bad thing, nor is saying it a slam on the player.
Not for nothing, it does sort of remind me of Brian Burns situation. The Rams wanted him in the worst way and yet his stats didnt exactly jump off the page either. If the Rams think he's the guy, I'm all in

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
@Corbin put me onto this comparison. They have very similar traits.

The traits are similar to every edge rusher Snead has drafted. This is an article from Turfshowtimes outlining that. https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2023/3/28/23659882/rams-draft-edge-rushers-traits-mock-fits-les-snead

McVay and Snead coveted Von Miller. Can they be seeing a closer comparison than many of the Rams fans on this site?

Remember. Chop had about half of the snaps as the other top edge rushers in this class. So it makes sense that his stats don’t match up.

I’m just throwing this out there. I still want JerZhan Newton in round 1
Can we get both? Fingers crossed Newton’s medical scares teams and he falls to 52 :) Fixed it

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Because it's a talented team with lots of difference makers. Rotating keeps them fresh. AD played a lot of snaps but not all of them, that's usually only DBs with the Rams. All of our recent DE and DT rotated. Not a new thing at all.

Yes, but how much he is not on the field is a concern. His 3 year career stats don’t compare to Von Millers final collegiate year stat line. If that’s not a concern for people than they are certainly braver souls than I am.

I don’t think you draft a rotational player in round 1. Rams are not that stacked.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, but how much he is not on the field is a concern. His 3 year career stats don’t compare to Von Millers final collegiate year stat line. If that’s not a concern for people than they are certainly braver souls than I am.

I don’t think you draft a rotational player in round 1. Rams are not that stacked.
A concern to whom? The Rams just met with the guy. Aaron Donald was on the field less than Michael Hoecht so was Byron Young. It doesn't seem like a deal breaker to the Rams or they wouldn't gave met with him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I started on the Quinyon train and have moved to Verse after the Williams and White signings. I think we're better off with an edge first and DT in the 2nd or even 3rd.
I actually watched Jared Verse up close in personal as he began his collegiate career here in Upstate, NY at the University at Albany and was obviously above the rest, which led to his transfer to Florida State. He would be my first choice too and he plays in the right side, which is a good match with Young.

However, some debate that Verse is more of a DE then OLB and would not play the run well, whereas, Robinson as all the tools to play in the 3/4 at OLB. Big call here for Chris Shula & OLB Coach Joe Joe Coniglio as if they do draft Chop, I will be his biggest supporter as there is no debating his ceiling and others like Jake Ellenbogen rate him as the best Edge rusher in the 2024 Draft.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I actually watched Jared Verse up close in personal as he began his collegiate career here in Upstate, NY at the University at Albany and was obviously above the rest, which led to his transfer to Florida State. He would be my first choice too and he plays in the right side, which is a good match with Young.

However, some debate that Verse is more of a DE then OLB and would not play the run well, whereas, Robinson as all the tools to play in the 3/4 at OLB. Big call here for Chris Shula & OLB Coach Joe Joe Coniglio as if they do draft Chop, I will be his biggest supporter as there is no debating his ceiling and others like Jake Ellenbogen rate him as the best Edge rusher in the 2024 Draft.

I just don't see Verse as a 3-4 DE that's terrible. He's 250 lbs a LT will eat a 350 lb DE for a snack. Let him use his physical abilites imo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would pick someone else if I'm in Snead's shoes on this one. For me production matters and it demonstrates a ton of lesser things are aligned, things which tend to help players do well in the NFL. I'd rather take a shot on another position than roll the dice on a guy who has a shortfall in production.

But if the Rams do their due diligence and are happy with what they learn (I am sure they will be getting good background info in this little trip to Happy Valley) then I'll cross my fingers as always and hope they hit on the pick. I won't love it but I can live with it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
There's part of it but is far from telling the whole picture. Who was run at who was doubled. There are so many factors in it that box score scouting doesn't give the whole picture. There's a reason they're projected to be drafted differently. Did the Rams meet with Isaac? That also should tell you something. Like Snead and McVay always say, trust the tape. There's a reason they're meeting with Chop and it might not jive with your opinions of him or other prospects.
The criticism I kept hearing is that even when he did win with that explosive first step he's just loop around the QB and not bend it in enough to get the sack.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Wish I had time to do a deep dive into our new Dline coach and what he's worked with or looked for in the past...

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
He's the better player, worthy of a 19th overall --- in fact, doubt he's there at 19.

However, some debate that Verse is more of a DE then OLB and would not play the run well, whereas, Robinson as all the tools to play in the 3/4 at OLB.
Based on what I have seen both he and Latu or tweeners and will be able to play OLBer in 3-4 or 4-3 DE ... Robinson more athletic ... his short arms bother me more than lack of production.

But Robinson is a reach at 19, IMO.

Big call here for Chris Shula & OLB Coach Joe Joe Coniglio as if they do draft Chop, I will be his biggest supporter as there is no debating his ceiling
Would be fine if we traded down to 25 or so and got an extra top 100 pick. But others are more of a sure thing.
He was a 4-3 end at Penn State but translates better to 3-4 OLber based on some of the things he showed, but I don't watch enough college ball to know for sure

Will have to trust McSnead...

and others like Jake Ellenbogen rate him as the best Edge rusher in the 2024 Draft.
Well ... not sure he'd be credible. Like asking one of us.