Who Will Be Next Rams Starting Center?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I can see this forum go nuts if that first pick isn't a center. Can't rule it out since the Rams don't seem to be ultra concerned about the position. I'm with everyone on wanting to try to solidify the position first. My guess is however the draft unfolds will predicate what position we pick first. Stay tuned as we never know what the Rams are necessarily thinking.

I would not rule us out from trading out of that first pick depending on how we stack the board.

Questions:

Will they shift one of our veteran guards to center? You can bet they will say that to disguise our hand but I would take it with a pinch of salt

Where is Creed Humphrey ranked relative to other centers? For me, he is far and away the best prospect. Because he will start and play at a high level

Will Stafford make most, if not all the line calls? Is this even possible in noisy stadiums? I expect that who ever starts at Center will be tasked with understanding McVeys offense and making adjustments

Will Brian Allen make a push to start? I know. I know, but he should be stronger, more technically sound and able to make all calls by now, right?

I find it hard to believe that Shelton or any other practice squad player will ascend because we have never heard even a peep about them

MachS

Hall of Fame
Speaking of Creed there is an Athletic article up that goes on about his smarts and grasp of scheme. You know how the Rams covet the smart ones.

Zero chance Humphrey makes it to 57. He'll go late 1st. We might get lucky with Meinerz falling but I think Creed goes 1st round and Dickerson goes top of the 2nd. We might be left Meinerz and Myers. I think 57 is fine for Meinerz though with everyone in the world knowing we covet IOL, someone could trade in front of us. And Myers seems like more of a 3rd round prospect, dont want to take him at 57. So if Meinerz is gone too, we will be sitting at 57 with our dick in our hand having to choose between over drafting another center to fill a need and passing on better Edge/CB options, or waiting until later in the draft to find our starter which could be a nightmare. I really dont like the situation we've put ourself in.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I would not rule us out from trading out of that first pick depending on how we stack the board.

Questions:

Will they shift one of our veteran guards to center? You can bet they will say that to disguise our hand but I would take it with a pinch of salt

Where is Creed Humphrey ranked relative to other centers? For me, he is far and away the best prospect. Because he will start and play at a high level

Will Stafford make most, if not all the line calls? Is this even possible in noisy stadiums? I expect that who ever starts at Center will be tasked with understanding McVeys offense and making adjustments

Will Brian Allen make a push to start? I know. I know, but he should be stronger, more technically sound and able to make all calls by now, right?

I find it hard to believe that Shelton or any other practice squad player will ascend because we have never heard even a peep about them

At this point based on all our moves, we have to have a plan with an internal solution. To me that's the only thing that makes sense. Bringing in a new franchise QB but leaving a hole at center doesn't compute. I think one of Anchrum or Shelton are going to be starting next year, either at C or guard. If the plan is to start Brian Allen, the entire FO needs to be fired immediately.

Regarding the draft, Creed will be gone by 57 so people need to stop dreaming about him. It doesn't make sense to trade up in the 2nd round with all the needs we have. We cant give up one of our 3rd rounders. So that's why I think the OL hole might be filled in house is because that is what gives us the most flexibility in the draft. We wont be REQUIRED to draft center at 57. If one falls great, if not we can go Edge, CB, or ILB.

All that being said, our center in 2021 will have never played center before in the NFL and that is a weird thing to attempt after 2 straight years of center problems.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Jourdan seems to suggest that one direction they can go in is have Corbett slide into center and Anchrum take the guard spot if no outside help is brought in.

btfd16

Rookie
I can see this forum go nuts if that first pick isn't a center. Can't rule it out since the Rams don't seem to be ultra concerned about the position. I'm with everyone on wanting to try to solidify the position first. My guess is however the draft unfolds will predicate what position we pick first. Stay tuned as we never know what the Rams are necessarily thinking.

All depends who is on the board. The whole televising of the draft is literally for the fans and their reactions. That's what makes it fun.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What assets (players / capital) do you think the Rams could offer in a big trade up?

It would only be picks from this year. From the trade value chart, our picks are valued at:

57 - 330
88 - 150
103 - 88
141 - 35
209 - 6

88/103/141 are worth pick 64 - the Saints hold pick 60, and with their cap issues they may want extra picks to have cost controlled players - two thirds and a fourth (albeit later) might be enticing to them at 60 despite the value not quite matching. JAX, NYJ or ATL could all like that deal (and would be getting the better end of it for 65, 66 or 67.

That would allow us to take a C and ILB both in the 2nd round/early 3rd. I don't subscribe to the "the Rams are telling the rest of the league what they will draft!" - there will be plenty of C options for us at 57 IMO.

Or we could pull a Ricky Williams and trade our 2, 3, 3 and 4 and get into the late first round or high second round to get the C that we want, although that would be all we come away with.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Anchrum's build is more for the inside, yet We keep hearing Snead refer to his ability to play OT. yeah, he played there at Clemson, but his height and arms really say OC. Would be nice to see if they can't convert him. He does have the tenacity that the OC position takes.

The article I linked claims that the Rams intent is to move him inside. He said he’s ready to compete for all three spots. I really think that the coaches saw him as their best option to back up at ORT once Brewer opted out and that is the only reason they had him there. It sounds like Anchrum is intelligent enough to pick up the Center position quickly.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Dickerson looked really good doing cart wells yesterday. Shocked with that knee. Maybe it wasn’t so bad and he’ll be good to go for TC.

I don’t think they are lookin g at the draft for their game 1 starter. If the guy they draft wins the spot - great. But I think they feel fine with internal guys taking over between Allen, Corbett, TA, etc.; and draft a guy to compete and start for 2022. So that drafted guy can be at 57 or as far back as the 4th round (or later) depending on who they like and who is available when they pick. I don’t think the Rams are as freaked out about the OC spot as some of us are.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Happens every year. Last year most liked Akers as a player but wanted a different position.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm in agreement with @Memento here: there are a number of good targets that are available and will be there for us in both the second and third rounds, including Humphrey, Dickerson, Myers, Meinerz and Hill. Any one of them should be a bump up from Blythe (in the mid- to long-term). That's why I love the idea of still grabbing a Reiter to cover the short term, and to let those other teams looking at centers know that we aren't desperate. A trade down from 57 into the late 60's or early 70's will still get us most of these guys (not Humphrey, likely not Dickerson). If they are only sold on one of those two guys, then yeah, they may have to trade up. My guess is that they have them ranked in tiers and will let the draft fall to them.

btfd16

Rookie
There's always an IOL that is "reached" for at the end of the first round. Who's the projection for this year? Davis?

MachS

Hall of Fame
there are a number of good targets that are available and will be there for us in both the second and third rounds, including Humphrey, Dickerson, Myers, Meinerz and Hill. Any one of them should be a bump up from Blythe (in the mid- to long-term). That's why I love the idea of still grabbing a Reiter to cover the short term, and to let those other teams looking at centers know that we aren't desperate

Bingo. This guy gets it (y). We dont want to be forced or feel pressured to draft center at 57. Sign Reiter for depth at minimum, maybe he starts. Then we have a ton of flexibility in the draft. Let the rookie center we draft in the 2nd/3rd round compete with Reiter, Corbett, Anchrum and let it shake it out naturally. In this scenario if a great EDGE, CB, or ILB falls to 57 we can grab him.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
For 26 years, from 1965 through 1990 they had 3 centers (Iman 65-74; Saul 75-81; Smith 81-90). Two were undrafted free agents and the other was an 8th round draft pick (#204), which equates to a mid 6th round present day pick. How can it be that hard to find a center??
Its Snead's Achilles' heel

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ve seen about 50 prospects could be first round picks so never rul out a player being available at our pick. I’m wagering we trade down as well.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I’ve seen about 50 prospects could be first round picks so never rul out a player being available at our pick. I’m wagering we trade down as well.
Agree, If the opportunity arises Snead will want another pick in the top 120

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Didn't want Blythe back so I am thankful. That being said, put a lot of investment into a QB with a presumably "now" window. Logic would tell you they'd invest in protecting him as well.
I think as usual the truth is in the middle here. Would have been nice to have Blythe at backup pay but when a guy is a FA there's always some team who thinks they can do better with him. But league need doesn't change the fact of who Blythe is. He's a backup type dude who was routinely exposed at both OG and C and it was high time to move on.

Re: the replacement Snead commented on how you don't want to go with an inexperienced guy due to the calls and importance of the position. But I think that was smoke screen. Because the change at QB lessens the need of the pivot making the calls. Whoever it is will have a vet overlooking what he's calling.

If that is true then a rookie is in play, particularly one who they feel has enough intellect to coach up. If that is not true then they will go with someone on our roster. And maybe it's a mix of the two, at least that's what it seems like right now. That they draft one and let that draftee compete with Anchrum, Corbs, etc.

By week six or so we should have Blythe and his inability to control his assignment firmly in our rearview. IMO.

Zero chance Humphrey makes it to 57. He'll go late 1st. We might get lucky with Meinerz falling but I think Creed goes 1st round and Dickerson goes top of the 2nd. We might be left Meinerz and Myers. I think 57 is fine for Meinerz though with everyone in the world knowing we covet IOL, someone could trade in front of us. And Myers seems like more of a 3rd round prospect, dont want to take him at 57. So if Meinerz is gone too, we will be sitting at 57 with our dick in our hand having to choose between over drafting another center to fill a need and passing on better Edge/CB options, or waiting until later in the draft to find our starter which could be a nightmare. I really dont like the situation we've put ourself in.
It's impossible to predict the draft but of course we all do it. All it takes is one team to love a guy and take him to upset expectations. But that said to my eye the Bama kid should go off the board first. I'm thinking late first round. He has the physicality I want in the middle. And I would think that gives him the best chance to be the first center chosen. But it wouldn't surprise me to see someone take Creed.

As to us sitting at 57 with our dick in our hand you are assuming that the Rams only like the centers you like. Also there are going to be other positions of need there who are probably better prospects than Humphrey. IMO. Would you be upset if they finally solve ILB with a stud like Jamin Davis? I would be too busy doing backflips.

Lastly they may have planned all along to go with Anchrum or Corbs. If that's the case then going with a Myers, Menet, or Jackson midrounds is fine and should round out a nice competition.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
It almost feels like the Rams are doing opposite of that though. Chiefs signed Blythe for an extremely cheap contract which we could have easily afforded to allow him to hold the spot down for a rookie to develop or just beat him out for. Signing Reiter is essentially a lateral move that we obviously could have made by now but haven't. I'm not so sure the Rams are signing anyone else at this moment which is a weird approach if it holds true. They seem to have a plan none of us know about.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jourdan seems to suggest that one direction they can go in is have Corbett slide into center and Anchrum take the guard spot if no outside help is brought in.
I love Jourdan but that has been discussed here for some time. Jrry brought that up a ways back and we've kicked it around for at least a month or more. Good to see her catch up though lol.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Sorry but we don’t do naked boobs here.

Well... that's not exactly true.

Apparently, you must not have spent much time in the Boob Thread. There are certain distinguished places here at ROD where actual naked ta tas are clearly posted and honored. Check there for confirmation.

Now... back to the center talk.......