Who has PFF?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Yeah, I could see this. Makes sense.

I am expecting a bit of surprise myself. Mostly because offensive linemen truly is a developmental position compared to others. Our smart coaches sat confidently with what they had... that tells me that plan is on track.

So I chuckle at that writer being so confident opposite guys paid to coach.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It's worse than that.
The "31st ranked" is their own ranking, which is derived from their subjective scoring. If anything, that comment shows their own ignorance. In all team rushing stats, the Rams were mostly in the 25-28 range. #4 in Rushing TD's. While not good, its also not 31st (a cute way of saying almost last)
I dont know why anyone pays for that garbage

When you're talking about the bottom third and trying to project, it projects to the bottom third, until proven otherwise.

Yeah that's how I feel. It's not much different than the Fisher receiving group. I don't understand so much positive projection. If I was getting on it If have to say it's unlikely for the 31st ranked Oline to climb out of the bottom third in one offseason, with no significant additions.

The Rams were also 4th in passing yards, 7th in overall yards, and 11th in points. An off year for a McVay offense, but that doesn't fully correlate with a completely ineffective offense or o-line.

PFF is also a shallow analysis because it is predicting the past (although incorrectly), which is always easier than actually inquiring into what happened (e.g. multiple injuries, inexperience), what factors have changed, and whether the same circumstances will likely occur again.

This is typical of national internet sports reporting where a conventional or intentionally provocative take will typically prevail in the absence of real in depth knowledge of a particular team. This used to be the domain of knowledgeable reporters for local newspapers. National reporters such as PFF now do not have either time, resources or motivation to analyze each team to the same extent or to any real depth.

Shallow or not, 31st or not, will the o-line be as bad as last year again? Imo the obvious answer is that it is very unlikely, for the simple reason that the line last year lacked depth and experience, then was repeatedly crippled by injuries-- the single biggest disruptor for any NFL team.

A reasonable prediction is that if the line stays healthy it will perform much better. No one is talking domination, but consistency and coordinated execution could produce a much different result. Especially with Cam Akers in the backfield.

If you had to place a big bet on the Rams Oline, how high would you be willing to declare they will rank by March 2021? I say get because your be putting your money where your mouth is. I keep reading these hopeful posts but nobody puts a number on it.

I'd say at best they climb to 20th ranked line, or the best of the bottom third. Still not what anyone would call good.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you're talking about the bottom third and trying to project, it projects to the bottom third, until proven otherwise.
Bottom third, and 31st are 2 completely different connotations. Which is also where Tampa Bay ranked yet didnt gather the same mention.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If a team truly has the "2nd worst" o-line, they're not passing up on o-linemen in the draft, especially after passing up on adding o-line help during free agency.

dang

Legend
i don’t see a Whit replacement this year on the roster. Note will likely need most of the year to recover then fingers crossed. Barring injuries I feel good about the other young talent on the OL but we have to find a B+ center this year as Blythe a C+!at best.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If a team truly has the "2nd worst" o-line, they're not passing up on o-linemen in the draft, especially after passing up on adding o-line help during free agency.

That's a matter of perspective. Surely the Rams didn't go into last season thinking that the Oline would be bad. For many of us, that is the crux of the problem.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bottom third, and 31st are 2 completely different connotations. Which is also where Tampa Bay ranked yet didnt gather the same mention.

I don't agree. Superbowl contenders usually have good Oline play. I have no idea how NFL coaches look at things, but If like to think that their goal each year is to field the best team posdible. But it sure seemed like last year was an exercise in faith. Faith that Allen and Noteboom could handle their positions and that what they saw from Blythe in the Superbowl was an aberration. I'll give them a Mulligan on Havenstein with his injury. But it certainly seemed peculiar to bank on two inexperienced players and a third that had major holes for the entire interior of the offensive line. No matter what the coach is saying, the offensive line is not a given to be good based on last year's play.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I will start of by saying this. My RB rankings the night of the draft were, Dobbins, Swift, Taylor, CEH, Zach Moss. (I didnt look in to Akers because I saw KC getting one of the top 4 mentioned. Otherwise he would have been my 5. I also didn't know CEH is a terror in the passing game.)

These RB's are all really good. It was a great class.

So being I like all the RB's, I feel the ones that went to the most explosive offenses are in the best position to succeed.

1. Clyde Edwards-Helaire -CEH is the best recieving back in this class and you rarely see one guy bring him down in space. No team in the NFL utilizes their RB's out of the back field like Andy Reid. And when the focus is on Mahomes and his weapons, Clyde is going to have great opportunities to contribute in a big way.

2. JK Dobbins- Seems the BAL offense is the best Wild Cat ever assembled. Mark Ingram flourished in this ground and pound juggernaut despite nagging injuries. I think you can expect JK, of whom is very similar to Ingram, to have similar production.

3. De'Andre Swift- I'm telling you now, this Lions team is a sleeper. Chiefs played them last year. Marvin Jones and Galladay lit us up. We all know what Ammendola can do when healthy. Now you add Swift and you got something cooking.

4. Jonathan Taylor- Before I get pounded for saying IND is more explosive than the Rams, just know I'm not saying that here. The difference is i really like the addition of Phillip Rivers and Jack Doyle. IND OL is obviously well known. Johnathan Taylor had a great OL in college and he has one now. Not to mention IND has two burners on the outside in the form of Hilton and Cambell.

5. Zach Moss- Bills are an ascending team. They ran the ball well last year and have a serious trip in Beasly, Brown, and Diggs. Zach Moss should fit right in.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Cam Akers has to be a big time sleeper now that Gurley is gone. He should see a lot of action. Taylor has to share with Mack. Dobbins shares with Ingram. CEH shares with Williams. (DET just sucks and has struggled to run in years past.) All those guys are successful incumbents. Cam Akers is to share with Henderson and Brown. That's completely different. I know the article doesnt mention snap counts as a factor but it needs to. Because at the end of the year when you're gauging production, snap counts play a big roll in that.

Last edited:

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe

Yeah that's how I feel. It's not much different than the Fisher receiving group. I don't understand so much positive projection. If I was getting on it If have to say it's unlikely for the 31st ranked Oline to climb out of the bottom third in one offseason, with no significant additions.

If you had to place a big bet on the Rams Oline, how high would you be willing to declare they will rank by March 2021? I say get because your be putting your money where your mouth is. I keep reading these hopeful posts but nobody puts a number on it.

I'd say at best they climb to 20th ranked line, or the best of the bottom third. Still not what anyone would call good.

I'll throw down $20 to make you look silly.

We'll be better than the 20th Ranked OL for 2020.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'll throw down $20 to make you look silly.

We'll be better than the 20th Ranked OL for 2020.

I’ll gladly take that bet. But which ranking would we use? PFF’s? I want to clear it up now so when the season ends and they finish 25th you don’t pull out some other source.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Jeff Fisher knew how to stop an offense......unfortunately on offense......Jeff Fisher knew how to stop an offense.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I’ll gladly take that bet. But which ranking would we use? PFF’s? I want to clear it up now so when the season ends and they finish 25th you don’t pull out some other source.

Big words. I'll do whatever format you want, Gnome.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Big words. I'll do whatever format you want, Gnome.

tenor.gif

MachS

Hall of Fame
The biggest area of concern with our OL is the run game, without a doubt. And looking at the projected starters there's a good chance our run blocking will be mediocre at best. Like everything else it comes back to the questions all coming up as positives for us and generally that doesn't happen. So agree but I still have Akers higher than PFF did.

It's not just the run game. The concern is with the OL talent overall and how that affects both the run and the pass. How did the passing game do last year when teams didn't respect the play action?

If we cant run the ball, we will be forced into 2nd and longs, 3rd and longs...known passing situations. Defenses will pin their ears back and focus solely on rushing the passer, which completely cripples McVay's offense. Which means more pressure of Goff, which we know leads to mediocre QB play at best. This is why so many around here are pissed we didn't upgrade the oline because of the affect it has on all aspects of our offense and game-planning.