Who has PFF?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember reading on here a few of our members have access to pff. There is an article on ranking rookie running backs by their situation I’d love to see if someone could post!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
@NJRamsFan

Ranking the situations for the NFL's 2020 rookie running backs

With all of PFF’s data pointing to the quality of a particular team’s offensive line and run scheme as being more important factors in the running game than pure running back talent, evaluating the situation around a particular player is paramount. It’s important to note that this isn’t a direct reflection of the running back’s talent — that’s what our position rankings are for — although that plays a factor when it comes to the share of touches we assume they’ll get in the backfield. For example, Tony Pollard went into a great situation to produce when called upon last year with the Dallas Cowboys‘ offensive line but was not good enough to realistically take touches away from Ezekiel Elliott. This is the ranking of a running backs’ ability to not only produce efficiently but also voluminously.

1. JONATHAN TAYLOR, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

When the Colts moved up to select Taylor at pick No. 41, it was a rare occasion for two reasons. He became the first Colts running back drafted before the fourth round in Chris Ballard’s tenure as general manager. That and the fact that Ballard traded up to do so for only the third time in his career tells me all I need to know about how many carries Taylor will command in 2020. He also goes to a Colts offensive line that finished last season ranked third in PFF’s offensive line rankings and is the only one of the top five to return all five starters. It's hard to be in a much better situation than that.

2. CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

The biggest thing separating Edwards-Helaire from Taylor is the quality of the offensive line (ranked 16th in 2019), but all the other pieces are in play for him to succeed. While the Chiefs employed a running-back-by-committee backfield last season, I expect Edwards-Helaire’s usage to be more similar to that of Kareem Hunt’s considering his draft slot. Hunt had 272 attempts and caught 53 balls as a rookie in 2017. That reception total would actually be a downgrade for Edwards-Helaire, who caught 55-of-64 targets for 453 yards at LSU last season.

3. J.K. DOBBINS, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Dobbins would be higher if it weren’t for the Ravens' running-back-by-committee approach in recent seasons. But that’s not as big a deal when you run as much as the Ravens do. Baltimore’s 527 designed runs in 2019 were 66 more than any other team, and even if you filter out those that went to Lamar Jackson, their running backs still ranked sixth with 392 carries. That’s a lot of touches to go around. If there are some concerns, it’s that defenses have a whole offseason to prepare for their unique scheme and the loss of future Hall of Fame right guard Marshal Yanda.

4. KE’SHAWN VAUGHN, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

This isn’t about what Vaughn will do in the running game, but rather what he can do as a receiver. Only the Los Angeles Chargers (169 times) targeted running backs more than the New England Patriots last season (155). While Tom Brady is obviously going to a new scheme with Bruce Arians, it’s difficult to see the Buccaneers trying to reinvent the wheel at this point in his career. Vaughn looks comfortably like the best back on the Buccaneers' roster to command those targets after hauling in 41 passes for 454 yards with nine broken tackles in his career at Vanderbilt.

5. CAM AKERS, LOS ANGELES RAMS

From a workload standpoint, there’s nothing holding Akers back — there’s little talent at the position on the Rams' roster and Sean McVay has obviously been willing to ride the position with Todd Gurley in recent years. The issue is the 31st-ranked offensive line that didn’t make a single addition before taking Clemson guard Tremayne Anchrum in the seventh round. It’s still going to be bad. If there’s any silver lining, it’s that Akers is used to that. He ran behind the fourth-lowest graded run-blocking line in the Power-5 last season.

6. D’ANDRE SWIFT, DETROIT LIONS

Swift should have no issue taking the bulk of the touches away from 2018 second-rounder Kerryon Johnson, as injuries have zapped his effectiveness. Johnson has suffered knee injuries that forced him to miss extensive time in each of the past two seasons and has recurring shoulder problems, as well. He went from a 77.9 rushing grade in 2018 and 5.4 yards per carry to a 68.2 rushing grade last season and 3.6 yards per carry. The question with Swift will be how good his run blocking is. The Lions were a top-10 run-blocking team in 2019, but they lost one of their best players in Graham Glasgow and will need rookie third-rounder Jonah Jackson to hit the ground running.

7. ZACK MOSS, BUFFALO BILLS

With Devin Singletary’s serious ball control issues, it shouldn’t be too difficult for Moss to eat into his touches behind an offensive line that returns every starter from 2019. Singletary fumbled four times on only 152 carries and dropped five of his 34 catchable passes as a rookie. Even with a 74.9 rushing grade and 5.1 yards per carry average, that’s a quick way to get in a coach’s dog house. Moss had eight fumbles on 710 carries in his entire college career (1 on 234 in 2019) and only dropped five of 71 catchable.

8. ANTHONY MCFARLAND JR., PITTSBURGH STEELERS

McFarland has the benefit of one of the best offensive lines in the NFL — the Steelers finished ninth last year in our rankings and have been perpetually top-10 the past half-decade. The issue will be touches, as the Steelers were the pass-heaviest team in the NFL the last time Ben Roethlisberger was healthy in 2018. Not only that, but backup Jaylen Samuels commanded all of 14 carries when James Conner was healthy.

9. JOSHUA KELLEY, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Kelley offers a distinctly different body type and skillset from starter Austin Ekeler. Even with Melvin Gordon out the first four weeks of last season, Ekeler commanded only 14 carries per game while backup Justin Jackson saw five-plus carries in each of those outings when healthy. The issue here could be simply taking carries away from Jackson, who earned a 78.1 rushing grade on 50 carries in 2018 before an 89.5 rushing grade on 29 carries in an injury-shortened 2019.

10. A.J. DILLON, GREEN BAY PACKERS

Dillon is buried a bit behind Aaron Jones on the depth chart, but it shouldn’t take too much for him to unseat Jamaal Williams and his 146 touches last season. Williams’ unimpressive 67.9 rushing grade in 2019 was a career-high. Dillon's playstyle means a lot of high-leverage, short-yardage and goalline carries for him in 2020.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The issue is the 31st-ranked offensive line that didn’t make a single addition before taking Clemson guard Tremayne Anchrum in the seventh round. It’s still going to be bad. If there’s any silver lining, it’s that Akers is used to that. He ran behind the fourth-lowest graded run-blocking line in the Power-5 last season.

A little disappointing to see such a shallow perspective from a paid site.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@NJRamsFan

Ranking the situations for the NFL's 2020 rookie running backs

With all of PFF’s data pointing to the quality of a particular team’s offensive line and run scheme as being more important factors in the running game than pure running back talent, evaluating the situation around a particular player is paramount. It’s important to note that this isn’t a direct reflection of the running back’s talent — that’s what our position rankings are for — although that plays a factor when it comes to the share of touches we assume they’ll get in the backfield. For example, Tony Pollard went into a great situation to produce when called upon last year with the Dallas Cowboys‘ offensive line but was not good enough to realistically take touches away from Ezekiel Elliott. This is the ranking of a running backs’ ability to not only produce efficiently but also voluminously.

1. JONATHAN TAYLOR, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

When the Colts moved up to select Taylor at pick No. 41, it was a rare occasion for two reasons. He became the first Colts running back drafted before the fourth round in Chris Ballard’s tenure as general manager. That and the fact that Ballard traded up to do so for only the third time in his career tells me all I need to know about how many carries Taylor will command in 2020. He also goes to a Colts offensive line that finished last season ranked third in PFF’s offensive line rankings and is the only one of the top five to return all five starters. It's hard to be in a much better situation than that.

2. CLYDE EDWARDS-HELAIRE, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

The biggest thing separating Edwards-Helaire from Taylor is the quality of the offensive line (ranked 16th in 2019), but all the other pieces are in play for him to succeed. While the Chiefs employed a running-back-by-committee backfield last season, I expect Edwards-Helaire’s usage to be more similar to that of Kareem Hunt’s considering his draft slot. Hunt had 272 attempts and caught 53 balls as a rookie in 2017. That reception total would actually be a downgrade for Edwards-Helaire, who caught 55-of-64 targets for 453 yards at LSU last season.

3. J.K. DOBBINS, BALTIMORE RAVENS

Dobbins would be higher if it weren’t for the Ravens' running-back-by-committee approach in recent seasons. But that’s not as big a deal when you run as much as the Ravens do. Baltimore’s 527 designed runs in 2019 were 66 more than any other team, and even if you filter out those that went to Lamar Jackson, their running backs still ranked sixth with 392 carries. That’s a lot of touches to go around. If there are some concerns, it’s that defenses have a whole offseason to prepare for their unique scheme and the loss of future Hall of Fame right guard Marshal Yanda.

4. KE’SHAWN VAUGHN, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

This isn’t about what Vaughn will do in the running game, but rather what he can do as a receiver. Only the Los Angeles Chargers (169 times) targeted running backs more than the New England Patriots last season (155). While Tom Brady is obviously going to a new scheme with Bruce Arians, it’s difficult to see the Buccaneers trying to reinvent the wheel at this point in his career. Vaughn looks comfortably like the best back on the Buccaneers' roster to command those targets after hauling in 41 passes for 454 yards with nine broken tackles in his career at Vanderbilt.

5. CAM AKERS, LOS ANGELES RAMS

From a workload standpoint, there’s nothing holding Akers back — there’s little talent at the position on the Rams' roster and Sean McVay has obviously been willing to ride the position with Todd Gurley in recent years. The issue is the 31st-ranked offensive line that didn’t make a single addition before taking Clemson guard Tremayne Anchrum in the seventh round. It’s still going to be bad. If there’s any silver lining, it’s that Akers is used to that. He ran behind the fourth-lowest graded run-blocking line in the Power-5 last season.

6. D’ANDRE SWIFT, DETROIT LIONS

Swift should have no issue taking the bulk of the touches away from 2018 second-rounder Kerryon Johnson, as injuries have zapped his effectiveness. Johnson has suffered knee injuries that forced him to miss extensive time in each of the past two seasons and has recurring shoulder problems, as well. He went from a 77.9 rushing grade in 2018 and 5.4 yards per carry to a 68.2 rushing grade last season and 3.6 yards per carry. The question with Swift will be how good his run blocking is. The Lions were a top-10 run-blocking team in 2019, but they lost one of their best players in Graham Glasgow and will need rookie third-rounder Jonah Jackson to hit the ground running.

7. ZACK MOSS, BUFFALO BILLS

With Devin Singletary’s serious ball control issues, it shouldn’t be too difficult for Moss to eat into his touches behind an offensive line that returns every starter from 2019. Singletary fumbled four times on only 152 carries and dropped five of his 34 catchable passes as a rookie. Even with a 74.9 rushing grade and 5.1 yards per carry average, that’s a quick way to get in a coach’s dog house. Moss had eight fumbles on 710 carries in his entire college career (1 on 234 in 2019) and only dropped five of 71 catchable.

8. ANTHONY MCFARLAND JR., PITTSBURGH STEELERS

McFarland has the benefit of one of the best offensive lines in the NFL — the Steelers finished ninth last year in our rankings and have been perpetually top-10 the past half-decade. The issue will be touches, as the Steelers were the pass-heaviest team in the NFL the last time Ben Roethlisberger was healthy in 2018. Not only that, but backup Jaylen Samuels commanded all of 14 carries when James Conner was healthy.

9. JOSHUA KELLEY, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Kelley offers a distinctly different body type and skillset from starter Austin Ekeler. Even with Melvin Gordon out the first four weeks of last season, Ekeler commanded only 14 carries per game while backup Justin Jackson saw five-plus carries in each of those outings when healthy. The issue here could be simply taking carries away from Jackson, who earned a 78.1 rushing grade on 50 carries in 2018 before an 89.5 rushing grade on 29 carries in an injury-shortened 2019.

10. A.J. DILLON, GREEN BAY PACKERS

Dillon is buried a bit behind Aaron Jones on the depth chart, but it shouldn’t take too much for him to unseat Jamaal Williams and his 146 touches last season. Williams’ unimpressive 67.9 rushing grade in 2019 was a career-high. Dillon's playstyle means a lot of high-leverage, short-yardage and goalline carries for him in 2020.
You’re an angel

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's worse than that.
The "31st ranked" is their own ranking, which is derived from their subjective scoring. If anything, that comment shows their own ignorance. In all team rushing stats, the Rams were mostly in the 25-28 range. #4 in Rushing TD's. While not good, its also not 31st (a cute way of saying almost last)
I dont know why anyone pays for that garbage

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Clearly the Rams dont see the o-line as "31st ranked" by the article's own admission.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Umm, yeah it is significantly different from 2016 as there was little confidence in Fisher to choose a WR core, where I have no doubts in McVay vision.
But back on point, if the Rams thought their O-line was "31st ranked" they surely wouldnt have gone an entire draft without picking any o-line players. RB and WR were clearly higher priority

bluecoconuts

Legend

Yeah, what the fuck? I would be pissed paying for that type of "analysis".

All that did was make me want to cancel any subscription to them because they clearly have no idea what the fuck they're talking about and have gotten lost up their own asses with numbers that they can't even look at context anymore... And I don't even subscribe to them.

That answer earns a big fat F from this guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing PFF overlooks with Taylor (who indeed is in an ideal situation) is that he's going to split time with Marlon Mack (who is young and proven). So for me at least that nudges him down the list a bit. But yes adding an explosive back to an OL of that quality plus a veteran QB addition... Colts look fuckin real good on paper.

So my top three...

1. CEH. He'll get the focus from day one in a top offense and OL.
2. Moss. Buffalo will run their offense around him and the talent is solid.
3. Akers. He would be #1 if we had fewer concerns and questions on the OL, but he'll get the carries he'll need.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The biggest area of concern with our OL is the run game, without a doubt. And looking at the projected starters there's a good chance our run blocking will be mediocre at best. Like everything else it comes back to the questions all coming up as positives for us and generally that doesn't happen. So agree but I still have Akers higher than PFF did.

Ram65

Legend
I don't care about the PPF offensive line rankings even though I look at their free player numbers. They evaluated the Rams draft base poorly based on their offensive line rankings. They now will be sticking to that theme. It's an interesting way to look at the new RBs. I'm more interested in how the Rams offense is going to be improved with a healthy running back like Akers and a more seasoned Henderson.

In the end Akers will have a very good rookie season.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
PFF was every football nerd's Bible a few years ago. Now that shit has been watered down to opinion based dreck. I really love how the Rams have somehow become an also ran after being the class of the NFCW. There is more talent on this roster than all but maybe 8 teams in the league.... Maybe less.

I have a feeling that McSlay and crew are licking their chops at all the hate on the plate these days. I know that these guys read this shit and take it nice and personal like. Go stomp a mudhole in the division and the league Rams.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My prediction: our offensive line rocks the NFL world in a good way. Fuck PFF.

oldnotdead

Legend
I subscribed to PFF years ago for a year. It became obvious that they lie when they say they watch every play of every game. Their matrix wasn't even written for NFL football. Their recent writeups this one included proving to me they are still being lazy and simply working off of stats and other outside reviews. Everything and I mean everything they say must be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. Anyone who cares to simply do their own research on their team or favorite players can simply do so. Your money is better spent on the NFL Gamepass.

there’s little talent at the position on the Rams' roster

Statements like this prove my point. If they do indeed break down every play they would have seen enough last year for Henderson and in previous years as well for Brown to make that statement a lie. If they breakdown each play then they should understand what they are seeing which obviously they don't. They would understand scheme fit or the lack of one which simply is ignored. Aren't these the guys that say that the 4th ranked WR corps in the NFL will now be in the middle of the pack simply because they traded Cooks? Ignoring the fact that that Cooks missed significant time last year and the poor OL play. They are clearly clueless about who Jefferson is. That alone should tell you all you need to know.

Even a number of NFL head coaches simply roll their eyes when PFF is mentioned with more than one saying they are BS. There are members on this board better at breaking down plays than PFF. There is not a single NFL franchise that uses their services. Only the bloodsucking agents are the ones touting it when it's to their advantage to do so and denigrating them when it's equally so. Other than the agents it's the so-called media analysts who are equally lazy by simply taking their word for things instead of doing their own research and evaluations.

I can see by their recent writeups that they haven't changed in the least over the years.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

The problem I have, is this proclamation; “It’s still going to be bad.”

(that’s from the writer in reference to the OL)

Are you saying with such conviction our pending doom? No, I don’t think you are, not with certainty like that.

The writers statement comes off as without debate and therefore not open to critical thinking, which is shallow. To me anyway.

(y)

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
It's worse than that.
The "31st ranked" is their own ranking, which is derived from their subjective scoring. If anything, that comment shows their own ignorance. In all team rushing stats, the Rams were mostly in the 25-28 range. #4 in Rushing TD's. While not good, its also not 31st (a cute way of saying almost last)
I dont know why anyone pays for that garbage

The Rams were also 4th in passing yards, 7th in overall yards, and 11th in points. An off year for a McVay offense, but that doesn't fully correlate with a completely ineffective offense or o-line.

PFF is also a shallow analysis because it is predicting the past (although incorrectly), which is always easier than actually inquiring into what happened (e.g. multiple injuries, inexperience), what factors have changed, and whether the same circumstances will likely occur again.

This is typical of national internet sports reporting where a conventional or intentionally provocative take will typically prevail in the absence of real in depth knowledge of a particular team. This used to be the domain of knowledgeable reporters for local newspapers. National reporters such as PFF now do not have either time, resources or motivation to analyze each team to the same extent or to any real depth.

Shallow or not, 31st or not, will the o-line be as bad as last year again? Imo the obvious answer is that it is very unlikely, for the simple reason that the line last year lacked depth and experience, then was repeatedly crippled by injuries-- the single biggest disruptor for any NFL team.

A reasonable prediction is that if the line stays healthy it will perform much better. No one is talking domination, but consistency and coordinated execution could produce a much different result. Especially with Cam Akers in the backfield.

Last edited: