Who do you want in the 2nd Round?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If they don't get their S in the draft, they aren't getting anyone that can help. Anyone that will be available is going to be no better than what we already have. This defense won't improve much if our DB's still suck. The new scheme should help some but I'm not going to count on it. This is why I prefer the draft to be before free agency. It allows teams to go BPA and fill any holes left over with FA. If they don't get a S in round 2 or 3, they most likely aren't getting better at the position. And I'm not saying to take some S that's rated way worse than some other player but when you paint yourself into a corner, you're going to have to be a little more flexible and take a player that close. Teams follow this practice in draft all the time- even the good ones.

I will say this again, if we don't get a Safety in the draft, I'd like to see Kerry Rhodes brought in if he's still in shape. He was a top 5 safety 2 years ago, and I really hope the league didn't black list him for stupid shit.

V3

Hall of Fame
Strict BPA isn't how the draft works. It's a myth. I've actually heard GM's and NFL people say as much. There are so many different aspects that play into it including need which is why you usually see so many teams take players that also fill needs. The problem isn't with not taking the BPA, it's with taking a bad player. I feel this year's draft was a little different because it's so deep(not for S, though, which is why there was a run).

And if the Rams trade for some vet S or find some team's castoff and they play better than what we already have, I'll gladly eat my words. I don't see it, though.

V3

Hall of Fame
I will say this again, if we don't get a Safety in the draft, I'd like to see Kerry Rhodes brought in if he's still in shape. He was a top 5 safety 2 years ago, and I really hope the league didn't black list him for stupid crap.

That's all well and good but that's relying on a hope and a prayer, IMO. If the Rams don't find something better at S and CB, the defense isn't going to be good enough to carry the offense.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
That's all well and good but that's relying on a hope and a prayer, IMO. If the Rams don't find something better at S and CB, the defense isn't going to be good enough to carry the offense.

That's not completely true. We don't know how much our secondary suffered alone due to scheme under Walton.

wrstdude

Rookie
I've seen Allen Robinson's name thrown around a bit & I know nothing about him. Anybody have anything on him?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sorry, but no one has said anything about strict BPA V3. My view is BPA within reason. There's a difference.

Strict BPA would probably see the Rams drafting another DT this year, but I doubt that's going to happen. BPA within reason (if the Rams used my draft board) wouldn't pass on Kyle Van Noy for any safety left in this draft class.

iced

ugh, Arizona and SF both added Safeties to their secondary - And Arizona's Secondary just looks scary...

Poor Sammy

Memphis Ram

Legend
Do you think he is a target in the 2nd?

Could be. But, from what I've read he has to work on his strength, too. Perhaps, not to the extent of the all but forgotten Barrett Jones though.

blueboy on the RamsTalk page seems to have some connections and he seems to believe the next selection will be a DB from Florida State.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Could be. But, from what I've read he has to work on his strength, too. Perhaps, not to the extent of the all but forgotten Barrett Jones though.

blueboy on the RamsTalk page seems to have some connections and he seems to believe the next selection will be a DB from Florida State.

I like Joyner and Brooks but Brooks feels more like a 3rd rounder.

MizzOU

UDFA
Bitonio or Matthews but I'm still of the opinion that we need to keep improving offense.

Wouldn't mind a safety here. Not sure which CBs are available.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The kid I would like to see at safety would be Virginia Tech's Antone Exum. But, he seems to consider himself a CB.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Bitonio or Matthews but I'm still of the opinion that we need to keep improving offense.

Wouldn't mind a safety here. Not sure which CBs are available.

Desir and Jean-Baptiste are on the board still. There's also EJ Gaines.
Joyner would give you the ability to play slot corner as well as FS.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
At this point I want DB. I'm not really concerned with getting a WR past the top 3 or 4. Taking a Watkins would have done the unit great...taking another guy like they have already seems pointless.

Unless Marquis Lee falls to us...he's someone I'd definitely consider.

Last edited:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Jordan Matthews, WR Vanderbilt
Lamarcus Joyner, DB Florida State
Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG UCLA
Terrence Brooks, S Florida State
Marqise Lee, WR USC
David Yankey, OG Stanford

In that order.

After sleeping on it I have narrowed it down for myself.

Jordan Matthews
Terrence Brooks

I'd still love Joyner, but I think Greg Reid will fill that nickle corner spot just as good as Joyner would. I don't see either playing safety either. I just can't see a 5'8 180lb safety in a Greg Williams system.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Fisher said he wanted too trade back into rd1 for Zac Martin. So OG still in play UCLA kid or Gabe Jackson. In Rd 3 QB Aaron Murray is my guess.
The rest if the safety class is very weak.

ausmurp

Starter
If all available, I think the order has to be:

Lamarcus Joyner, DB Florida State
Terrence Brooks, S Florida State
Marqise Lee, WR USC
Jordan Matthews, WR Vanderbilt
Xavier Su'a-Filo, OG UCLA
David Yankey, OG Stanford

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Fisher said he wanted too trade back into rd1 for Zac Martin. So OG still in play UCLA kid or Gabe Jackson. In Rd 3 QB Aaron Murray is my guess.
The rest if the safety class is very weak.

I have a gut feeling our new backup QB is going to be Mccarron. It's the last minute workout thing.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Hope Snead is true to his word via the interview I just watched. Unless I heard him wrong, he seemed to imply BPA within reason in rounds 2-3 and more need based selections on day three.

That's how you end up with DT Aaron Donald. Go Snead.

ausmurp

Starter
I'm on board with Jrry in that I think Joyner would be the best FS available. He reminds me of a tougher Honey Badger. And he's not 180 he's closer to 200 lbs at 5'9 or close to it..