Who do you want in the 2nd Round?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wonderboy

Rookie
If you don't think a guy like Matthews would be an upgrade over the guys we've got, you must think we've got the best WRs in the league lol.

Am I the only one that views Matthews as a Larry Fitzgerald type? I think he could be an absolute beast and he should be READY (unlike Quick who is still raw). If the Rams were to be lucky enough to get him, they could spend the rest of the draft focused on building the secondary and we are a rocket ship bound for the playoffs!

jjab360

Legend
Am I the only one that views Matthews as a Larry Fitzgerald type? I think he could be an absolute beast and he should be READY (unlike Quick who is still raw). If the Rams were to be lucky enough to get him, they could spend the rest of the draft focused on building the secondary and we are a rocket ship bound for the playoffs!
Main problem would be he doesn't have Fitzgerald's hands, unfortunately that's what makes Fitzgerald Fitzgerald.

He does have all the athleticism (better explosion numbers than wunderkid Sammy Watkins) and route running ability in a pro style offense to suggest he would be ready to start for somebody right now, though, like Keenan Allen last year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Needs. Smeeds. I don't see how it's possible for them to pass on BYU LB Kyle Van Noy if he is still on the board at #44.

Otherwise,
2. Florida's CB/FS Jaylen Watkins
3. Rice's CB Phillip Gaines
4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
5. LSU OG, Trai Turner

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Seems to me if they were going to make a major deal to get Zack Martin then OL is still in play so again I concur with jrry if OT Joel Bitonio is on the board he could be the pick, otherwise, they really need secondary help and Jaylen Watkins would go a long way in making the secondary better.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What's interesting is I recall reading that the Rams OLine coach was putting Bitonio through center drills during his workout.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Best safety, best corner or best wide receiver.
We have 5 Good lineman, plus Barret JOnes in relief at center or guard.

V3

Hall of Fame
Needs. Smeeds. I don't see how it's possible for them to pass on BYU LB Kyle Van Noy if he is still on the board at #44.

Otherwise,
2. Florida's CB/FS Jaylen Watkins
3. Rice's CB Phillip Gaines
4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
5. LSU OG, Trai Turner

Then I don't want to hear anyone use the excuse about the DB's playing so much soft coverage because the FS is a liability. The safety is a VERY important position in the NFL now.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Hey guys, who are your top guys that you'd like to see the Rams pick in the second round?

For me right now:
1. LaMarcus Joyner FS FSU
2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
3. Phillip Gaines CB Rice
4. Joel Bitonio OL Nevada (I think Bitonio is likely our pick if he's on the board)
5. Derek Carr QB Fresno State

Really sad that SF got Jimmie Ward, though.

I would replace Carr with Garoppolo and if we had another 2nd rounder, I would like Garoppolo. Since we don't, I hope we can get Joyner or Gaines. We need some help at DB. I agree on Ward, of course we thought he would be a steel at 44, got to give SF and Arizona credit for getting some good DB's.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Then I don't want to hear anyone use the excuse about the DB's playing so much soft coverage because the FS is a liability. The safety is a VERY important position in the NFL now.

Won't hear it from me, because Williams won't do it anyway since he plays his safeties so deep.

BTW, I know that safety is a VERY important position. But, IMO, if the BPA isn't a safety this high in the draft, it makes little sense to force the pick. Teams needs don't influence player availability, and while major, he draft is just one part of the player acquisition process. The team may be able to pick up a stop gap veteran if they can't find their guy in the draft.

IMO, it would be stupid to grab a lesser rated player in attempt to fill a need.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Won't hear it from me, because Williams won't do it anyway since he plays his safeties so deep.

BTW, I know that safety is a VERY important position. But, IMO, if the BPA isn't a safety this high in the draft, it makes little sense to force the pick. Teams needs don't influence player availability, and while major, he draft is just one part of the player acquisition process. The team may be able to pick up a stop gap veteran if they can't find their guy in the draft.

IMO, it would be stupid to grab a lesser rated player in attempt to fill a need.

I agree. I mentioned in another thread go with BPA every time and things will work themselves out. And your talent level is better.

V3

Hall of Fame

If they don't get their S in the draft, they aren't getting anyone that can help. Anyone that will be available is going to be no better than what we already have. This defense won't improve much if our DB's still suck. The new scheme should help some but I'm not going to count on it. This is why I prefer the draft to be before free agency. It allows teams to go BPA and fill any holes left over with FA. If they don't get a S in round 2 or 3, they most likely aren't getting better at the position. And I'm not saying to take some S that's rated way worse than some other player but when you paint yourself into a corner, you're going to have to be a little more flexible and take a player that close. Teams follow this practice in draft all the time- even the good ones.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Yea, I want a safety or CB. But using our workouts and visits as indications....we don't have much interest.

Could G. Williams really be content with who we have starting? Are we going to only draft depth at Safety by getting Maurice Alexander?

Memphis Ram

Legend
If they don't get their S in the draft, they aren't getting anyone that can help. Anyone that will be available is going to be no better than what we already have. This defense won't improve much if our DB's still suck. The new scheme should help some but I'm not going to count on it. This is why I prefer the draft to be before free agency. It allows teams to go BPA and fill any holes left over with FA. If they don't get a S in round 2 or 3, they most likely aren't getting better at the position. And I'm not saying to take some S that's rated way worse than some other player but when you paint yourself into a corner, you're going to have to be a little more flexible and take a player that close. Teams follow this practice in draft all the time- even the good ones.

Disagree. Trades are possible. Some veterans are probably going to get released this offseason. And there's a chance that a veteran stop gap pickup would still outplay any rookie this team could draft now anyway.

Sorry, but I'm just a firm believer of acquiring the best talent possible within reason and letting the chips fall where they may. Especially with a defensive coordinator capable of scheming to players strengths.