Which FA Center??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I agree with everything here except the 2nd round tender for DWill. I just can't imagine that they would risk losing a starting CB over $1.1M.

I wouldn't. I've made my opinions clear on DWill. 1st round tender... and I'd be gutted to have to make due with a likely late 1st rounder...

But I just have a sneaking suspicion that the Rams are gonna try to thread the needle on this one and DWill's gonna get poached...

But I also had a feeling Watson was gonna be a Ram, so... F my feelings, apparently...LOL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
More I think about it the more I think fanoftodd's suggestion about Mack is on the money. Here's why...

1. Snead mentioned that the Rams could actually afford both Floyd and Johnson at "team" rates. So if that is true they should be able to afford one tag OR one good free agent. Now maybe they dial that back we don't know what they're gonna do of course and it wouldn't surprise me if they were to elect to be more cautious on their restructures but for now I'm operating on the fact that it's possible.

2. I don't think we can replace Floyd this offseason. None of the FAs will give us what he gave us, the rangy edge contain which is so important to our defense plus the drop ability plus the high effort rush. Our ROLB spot isn't up to snuff either, so if they lose Floyd it's going to be a massive hit to the defense. Massive. I'm telling you. May be wrong but I'm telling you dammit! :LOL:

3. Atlanta had a shitty line and Mack was solid but just had his worst season (he struggled in pass pro). No way Mack wants to stick around there. He is gonna want a Super Bowl shot. If he comes in on the cheap, just at a number the team favors, he would make our depth chart look not so bad going into the draft. And that's something Snead favors, like all GMs he knows if teams see your depth chart depleted at center you are a team to jump in front of for a center. And btw Mack with Edwards next to him... Yeah. That entire left side will bulldoze.

4. Then of course they draft a center they like for upside and the fact they don't have a gaping hole makes it easy to wait for round 3 or so and they can also go BPA if another position is better than the center they targeted.

5. With Floyd retained and Mack brought in they can jump on a wideout there at round 2 or if teams snap the best ones up again a corner which we could use or shit maybe one of those two-way ILBs finally makes it to us. Not being desperate. It opens up the best path in a draft.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious, because I personally dont buy in to Pfft, but what was the Rams "rating" for pass blocking as a team?
I really like their lineup page, though as always the ratings are kind of iffy. Articles are the real value with PFF IMO. Here you go:

Offense (Edwards is a 70.5 ranking with good balance run/pass btw, he's not here due to injury)
1612470612174.png

Defense (IMO Brock and Floyd are low, Hollins was up/down but a liability in contain i.e. he's more a yellow IMO, and so on)
1612470817617.png

I think we need DL too tbh, which they don't fully show in this view. To beat the 9ers and sew up this division with some dominance. But I think we have to make due there in 2021. As we all know our ILBs are shitty.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also while I have pff open here's our season end OL ranking. And in true PFF fashion they overlook shit like the schematic advantages of McVay's offense in masking the OL weaknesses.

IMO we're about 10th without the McVay misdirection and moving pockets. In that range maybe low teens. So just like most here expect we'll probably see a move or two to boost them solidly into that top third.

1612471346216.png

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would bet that we sign an older vet center for cheap and keep Floyd.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We need leadership at the center position. Moving an established Rams lineman to the center position is a great idea. I say we move Whit now hear me out.

Established leader. Less mobility. Wicked smart.

It is a 90/10 risk but what the hell. It is what wins championships!

Disclaimer: After being on this site for close to three years I had no idea blue font meant sarcasm. How did I do for a first timer?

Or do I have an interesting point?

Hmmmmmmm.....................

That’s perfect. I think there should be more blue font around here.I agree Whitworth should be the starting center as well for all those who are color blind.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
PFF doesn't list an overall team grade. Just a rank at position.

Pass Block
Havenstein 40 of 75 T (Grade 70.8)
Blythe 26 of 37 C (Grade 52.8)
Corbett 41 of 81 G (Grade 61.5)
Edwards 31 of 81 G (Grade 64.4)
Whitworth 8 of 75 T (Grade 84.7)
Everett 37 of 51 TE (Grade 61.0)
Higbee 21 of 51 TE (Grade 68.8)

Run Block
Havenstein 9 of 76 T (Grade 83.9)
Blythe 9 of 36 C (Grade 74.2)
Corbett 12 of 73 G (Grade 76.4)
Edwards 22 of 73 G (Grade 68.8)
Whitworth 8 of 76 T (Grade 84.0)
Everett 32 of 76 TE (Grade 62.7)
Higbee 30 of 76 TE (Grade 62.8)
Guess this would indicate that LG & RG fall into the OG overall package. Same for LT & RT falling into the OT package.

Or Not?

If there is only 32 plus starting centers but at least 64 plus starting OG's & OT's.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also while I have pff open here's our season end OL ranking. And in true PFF fashion they overlook shit like the schematic advantages of McVay's offense in masking the OL weaknesses.

IMO we're about 10th without the McVay misdirection and moving pockets. In that range maybe low teens. So just like most here expect we'll probably see a move or two to boost them solidly into that top third.

View attachment 43484
I am not defending Goff in any way here, but the pass pro was awful. The RB's cant chip, Everett gets knocked aside with a feather and the interior constantly caved in like dropping a cinderblock on balsa wood.
The rushing YPC was greatly improved, however that was more of a product of a ZBS than it was of a ground and pound. Finesse only takes you so far

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would bet that we sign an older vet center for cheap and keep Floyd.
Like who? Not disagreeing, sounds like a great plan, just dont know if any fit the bill, have relationship with any coaches.
Where's Ryan Groy these days?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I’m with ya on “going all in.”

Not looking forward to the complaints from some here about “mortgaging the future,” but it is what it is.

Tampa Bay went “all in”, and obviously it served them well. They got Brady, Gronk, Ndamokung Suh, Fournette, and Antonio Brown, just to name a few. As their coach (Arians) says, “No risk it no biscuit.”

Rams have a legit chance here. Let’s freaking GO.

It's time to mortgage the future.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like who? Not disagreeing, sounds like a great plan, just dont know if any fit the bill, have relationship with any coaches.
Where's Ryan Groy these days?

Not sure about relationship with the coaches, but I just think we'll sign a C that most of the fans will probably be somewhat disappointed with - whether it's Mack, Pouncey, or someone like Garland. I know when we signed Sullivan years ago I was like "meh".

Good thing about the cap coming down - assuming we can make at least some room - is that some of those older guys should be really cheap. And hopefully at least one wants to come play for us to be on a winning team.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

That's a very good question, and I don't imagine Alex Mack will be willing to half his salary to come here. Last season at this time Rams fans were clamoring for the team to invest in the O-Line, particularly as Blythe was becoming a free agent, only they surprised us by re-signing him for one more year. I doubt the Rams make that mistake again, although management did feel comfortable enough in 2020 to forgo any OL help other than taking Anchrum as our very late and final 7'th round draft pick. McVay was counting on his young OL to develop & cross-train and decided to promote from within. The Rams have 4 OL players that could be lost to free agency immediately following our 2021 season, and that's not including Whitworth, so I have to imagine we will address some of that during the upcoming draft. Corbett was initially brought in to help or replace the struggling Bryan Allen, then Allen was injured which forced Blythe to Center, ... my hope is that Corbett has been spending some/most of his off-season attending a Center camp. I'm also not going to dismiss the impending return of Chandler Brewer, so with all the talk of free agent spending on the OL, I won't be surprised to see the Rams continue to promote from within while adding some players thru the draft.
jmo.

Last edited:

MachS

Hall of Fame
Imagine what our line would do to teams on the ground with a drive blocker like that at center. Holy shit man. With him and Ed, even Corbs I have to think I'd be running a lot more power on the inside.

And the thing about power is once your advantage is there in a game it's there. Once that DL knows they can't stop the run that's when the big yards start happening and we have Akers ready to roll.

Its not only that, but Akers is going to naturally have a better year this year because of Stafford. Defenses will be forced to respect the deep ball much more so safeties won't be able to creep down towards the line like the last few years.

Akers had a an impressive end to his rookie year and people forget he was the #1 ranked RB in stacked boxes seen. That wont be the case next year. That was the problem the last two years, defenses sitting on all underneath routes and playing the run tight at the same time. If we can upgrade center to someone with power, this run game could be top5 next year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I could see the Rams doing that. Signing Mack cheap for a run is something someone will do and that is right up Snead's alley lol.

But even if they sign him I want a good center in this draft. So for me it's draft a center that offers the best return albeit with more risk. And use that cash to tag Floyd. Not sure if doable but that is what I'd like to see.

My question is how many years have you been asking for this center & offensive line spot.Now your just asking for a good center in the draft instead of the early rounds.

Then again who are The Rams going to cut from there roster.For gosh SAKES they still have Jamil Demby on the roster.
My thoughts will always be once again building from within at the Center spot.This is the way McKromer thought process has worked from day 1.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's a very good question, and I don't imagine Alex Mack will be willing to half his salary to come here. Last season at this time Rams fans were clamoring for the team to invest in the O-Line, particularly as Blythe was becoming a free agent, only they surprised us by re-signing him for one more year. I doubt the Rams make that mistake again, although management did feel comfortable enough in 2020 to forgo any OL help other than taking Anchrum as our very late and final 7'th round draft pick. McVay was counting on his young OL to develop & cross-train and decided to promote from within. The Rams have 4 OL players that could be lost to free agency immediately following our 2021 season, so I have to imagine we will address some of that during the upcoming draft. Corbett was initially brought in to help or replace the struggling Bryan Allen, then Allen was injured which forced Blythe to Center, ... my hope is that Corbett has been spending some/most of his off-season attending a Center camp. I'm also not going to dismiss the impending return of Chandler Brewer, so with all the talk of free agent spending on the OL, I won't be surprised to see the Rams continue to promote from within while adding some players thru the draft.
jmo.

Exactly- once again who are The Rams going to cut? I ask on one post a question & I’ll ask it here again.There is one player The Rams add by subtraction.Then they have just enough room to maybe upgrade.
The Rams right now have so much invested in the Offensive Line that nobody is really addressing expect for trying to find some FANTASY PlAYER.

After 4 seasons you would think It is pretty simple to figure out.The thing that upsets me is The Lack of Respect this group deserves from top to bottom.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Akers is a great example. He was a top ten back at the end of the season to my eye at least. And part of that was our OL which was cleaning up in the run game.

But the problem with our offense as you alluded to is that teams could overprepare vs the run. When teams load the box to stuff the run game even if it's a pass all it takes is one guy to get Goff to move off his spot and it's a likely win for the defense. And the other offensive issues like lack of speed at wideout and pass pro issues (mostly Blythe but not just him) were on top of that too working against us.

This is about beating SF as well. IMO. McVay can't stand losing to Shanny and vice versa. Intense rivalry and SF's days of spending a full week of focus on the run are a thing of the past now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Also a good point, what do we think is "cheap"? 5 mill?

Cheap for me would be Corbett's $1.5mil during his 'contract' year. :biggrin:

Honestly, i'd much prefer to re-sign Floyd than spend the money on a free agent Center at this time. jmo.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn't. I've made my opinions clear on DWill. 1st round tender... and I'd be gutted to have to make due with a likely late 1st rounder...

But I just have a sneaking suspicion that the Rams are gonna try to thread the needle on this one and DWill's gonna get poached...

But I also had a feeling Watson was gonna be a Ram, so... F my feelings, apparently...LOL
Well, let's hope we are both listened to on DWill!