Which FA Center??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What happens with Troy Hill? David Long is next CB up.I think Floyd is gone. The Rams 2020 draft picks need to step up.The WR position is huge.
Sorting these CB roles starts with Williams. If they tag him with less risk, i.e. first round tender then we know that CB2 spot opposite Ramsey is good. As long as that is the case we are in good shape because corners who project to inside the numbers (slot) are easy to find.

CB3/slot will probably be Long vs Deayon vs a nice cost-effective rook in that scenario. They could also sign a more unheralded young vet type they liked coming out in the draft as well. Slot is cheap compared to the guys who play outside the numbers. Lot of options and easily done if they simply don't lose Williams.

If they don't tender Williams high you're looking at a much higher chance of losing him. If that happens now you gotta find someone who can hold up opposite Ramsey which is a LOT harder. And supply & demand means pricier. Either a higher pick, or more money. But I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense to take on that risk when you just spend an additional million of cap to lessen the chances of all that.

Re: your question about Hill... He's probably gone to get as much cash as he can and I wish him well. If they do sign him it will be because he really wants to stay or he sees what is coming with cuts across the NFL to get under the cap. He'd need to be a team bargain though IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sorting these CB roles starts with Williams. If they tag him with less risk, i.e. first round tender then we know that CB2 spot opposite Ramsey is good. As long as that is the case we are in good shape because corners who project to inside the numbers (slot) are easy to find.

CB3/slot will probably be Long vs Deayon vs a nice cost-effective rook in that scenario. They could also sign a more unheralded young vet type they liked coming out in the draft as well. Slot is cheap compared to the guys who play outside the numbers. Lot of options and easily done if they simply don't lose Williams.

If they don't tender Williams high you're looking at a much higher chance of losing him. If that happens now you gotta find someone who can hold up opposite Ramsey which is a LOT harder. And supply & demand means pricier. Either a higher pick, or more money. But I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense to take on that risk when you just spend an additional million of cap to lessen the chances of all that.

Re: your question about Hill... He's probably gone to get as much cash as he can and I wish him well. If they do sign him it will be because he really wants to stay or he sees what is coming with cuts across the NFL to get under the cap. He'd need to be a team bargain though IMO.
Our 2021 safety cadre even with the loss of JJ III is strong with Fuller-Scott-Rapp-Hughes-Reed-Gervase. Many have placed 2020 rookie 3rd rd pick, Terrell Burgess, in with the safety cadre but is there a need for him to be there?

Burgess only started for one season @ Utah, where he played a ton of Nickle-Corner covering the slot plus safety.
Terrell Burgess S Utah - Draft Player Profile | The Draft Network
Prospect for the Pack: Utah DB Terrell Burgess (usatoday.com)
2020 NFL draft prospect rankings: No. 75 Terrell Burgess (yahoo.com)

When the Rams lose Troy Hill to FA'cy & while they wait to see if Darious Williams will sign his RFA tender offer sheet the Rams outside corner cadre appears short & weak on talent after Jalen Ramsey. Ramsey played the star position for Staley have to wait to see what Morris desires from Ramsey. Ramsey loves playing the Nickle & straight up on the best receiver.

2019 3rd rd. pick David Long has many questions attached to him mostly negative. Rookie Burgess outplayed Long in cameo appearances with this defense in 2020. seasoned CB Donte Deayon is dinky & small. The only other CB is UDFA Tyrique McGhee who spent most of the 2020 season suspended. Rams will need to address this position in the draft maybe twice.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our 2020 safety cadre even with the loss of JJ III is strong with Rapp, Reed, Scott, Hughes & Fuller. From what I saw in limited doses DB Terrell Burgess could play the Nickle Corner slot if needed. But that RFA Darious Williams is 100% needed!
Good chance you're right Boni. We do seem to be pretty loaded back there even with JJ departing.

What I'm not so sure about with the secondary first off is what Morris is going to prioritize. I assume McVay requires him to run quarters but will it be the highest percentage of snaps. Or will they tap into that cover 2 trend in college where it's making a comeback with a midfield safety. And if Morris wants to run his beloved cover 2 then we might be looking at some DL group adjustment to ensure they have a strong early-down run stuffer group.

And I'm not sure about Rapp over the top. He did a good job as always in run support but is he up to snuff for the pass idk. Sure would be nice to see Burgess make noise too yes.

Not concerned about the secondary as long as Williams returns basically. But there are some unknowns with Morris so eager to hear him talk on these guys and see what they do in their moves. :beer2: :biggrin:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel as though the majority agree that the o-line is a priority, but I cant understand then why trading Boom or Hav makes sense? Big Whit is on borrowed time, I seriously wonder if he even comes back for 2021, and even if he does, how do you count on him for 19 games? Even when he played the full season in 18 + 19, he clearly wore down at the end of the season. So what good is a mid to late pick for either guy when the OT is at least the serviceable portion of the o-line?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

The Rams the last 2 years have really drafted well for 2021 Season

I think the depth is already there & can’t believe The Comp value
because of it. Pleasant is gone,but Evero might be the better DB’s coach

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good chance you're right Boni. We do seem to be pretty loaded back there even with JJ departing.

What I'm not so sure about with the secondary first off is what Morris is going to prioritize. I assume McVay requires him to run quarters but will it be the highest percentage of snaps. Or will they tap into that cover 2 trend in college where it's making a comeback with a midfield safety. And if Morris wants to run his beloved cover 2 then we might be looking at some DL group adjustment to ensure they have a strong early-down run stuffer group.

And I'm not sure about Rapp over the top. He did a good job as always in run support but is he up to snuff for the pass idk. Sure would be nice to see Burgess make noise too yes.

Not concerned about the secondary as long as Williams returns basically. But there are some unknowns with Morris so eager to hear him talk on these guys and see what they do in their moves. :beer2: :biggrin:

David Long was odd guy out for awhile,but then got playing time.
Nick Scott was playing a good FS.Floyd was a SS.I think Tyler Rapp takes over for JJ.Burgees should be good.

Who is Tyrique McGhee a CB a 22 R & JR Reed 24 R?? Both from SEC Georgia! You know Matthew Staffords alma Mater & L. Floyd’s.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I feel as though the majority agree that the o-line is a priority, but I cant understand then why trading Boom or Hav makes sense? Big Whit is on borrowed time, I seriously wonder if he even comes back for 2021, and even if he does, how do you count on him for 19 games? Even when he played the full season in 18 + 19, he clearly wore down at the end of the season. So what good is a mid to late pick for either guy when the OT is at least the serviceable portion of the o-line?

I honestly don't believe Noteboom has much trade value as he hasn't proven anything yet, perhaps a 6'th round pick, but he's worth more to us a depth player imo.
Brockers & Havenstein get talked up as trade bait more often because they carry a big CAP hit, have more value, are both coming off perhaps their best season, at least in a while, and might legitimately bring us a 3'rd & 4'th round draft pick each. We also have far more depth behind them than we do on the Edge or at Center. Would you rather have Floyd as an OLB or Brockers on the DL, and would you rather have Corey Linsley at Center or Havenstein at RT ? Young Sebastion Joseph stepped up big time on the DL last season and should be prepped to pick up much of the load if Brockers is traded, and the Rams have an abundance of young DL depth talent. Early drafting of another LT mitigates the Whitworth factor. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it makes sense dieter. But I think it is a possibility.

If they for example believe that Edwards' best position on the line is RT. Then you have the thought of using your younger and affordable first contract player at RT instead of Hav. Which by extension allows you to directly address center in FA or do something else with that cap space.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

1.Well Noteboom is not going anywhere!! Who or Wherever your getting your INFO it’s Freaking Fake News? In 2021.My hope is he signs a Nice Fair Ram Friendly deal.

2.The fact is that Big Rob has such a FAT contract is what makes him expandable.

3.I don’t know if you watch or Anyone who is SAYING Crap about the O”Line is watching? I’m not a numbers & PFF guy at ALL. Bobby Evans played well against the SeaHags. He can & has filled in for Big Rob.In Fact the end of 2019 his rookie year was playing better IMO.At least in Pass Protection.Hav has been an excellent Run Blocker.
4.Austin Corbett is a FA.I don’t see him as a Center.For all that think that,I say think again,but I’ll play along at the possibility.Still has only 1 more year.
5.The Rams need a Center,but I still think The Rams have Brian Allen.Not a Fan,but he was a starter & a High draft pick.His claim to Fame is FIRST NFL player to get the Covid.Dude has a Chip on his Shoulder.I think he is a (D) question Mark who makes the 53.

We can discuss more & yes Big Whit is a question as well,but I think he wants to go out on Top & Play for The Los Angles RAM Fans in SOFI where the 2021/22 SuperBowl will be played.He is under contract.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good questions dieterbrock!

Not sure where the thought on trading Jospeh Noteboom came from?? JN has yet to show that he has any real worth. In college, he was known as being a really good technical sound LT in pass blocking...without any real run-blocking power. Thus far in the past 3 seasons, he has yet to show any above run blocking capabilities but is a more than capable pass blocker. I would think that since he has a very low salary hit & join that with the advanced age, injury & ultra-high salary of Whitworth I see no reason to move him. In fact, it would be a major mistake! Rams need to rethink how they work AW & JN this season @ LT. Might need to go HD with JN & lightly with AW until the playoffs enter the picture. But you paying really big to have AW here full time!

The reason I mentioned injury in ref. to AW is he has a history of a bad injury to that same knee about 5 or 6 yrs ago where he tore his ACL & MCL & went on the injured IR just like in 2020. AW reinjured that same knee last season. This HOF LT is going on 41 yr old guys......... No idea how that knee will be doing come July. It's a question yet to be answered.

Rob Havenstein has a cap hit of just under $20 million for the 2021/2021 seasons. He played more snaps this season than any of his previous seasons. Hav will have great value to a team that has a QB who has good pocket awareness & mobile. Teams looking to boost their off right tackle running game will greatly desire Hav!

Kromer has 3rd rd pick Bobby Evans will enter his 3rd season, who was an outstanding RT in college. Evans filled in for Hav in his rookie season & did well for a rookie playing in a makeshift OL. David Edwards who will enter his 3rd season & was a starter in his first two seasons is nearly 6-7 & well over his posted 308 pounds Edwards looks as big as the 330 lbs Hav. Edwards was also an excellent RT in college. Tremayne Anchrum will enter his 2nd season is another very successful RT in college where Anchrum played on two NCAA Championship teams. Chandler Brewer will enter his 2nd season as a 6-6/320 OL'er who took last season off due to Covid 19.... was a good RG in college but Kromer utilized Brewer @ swing OT the entire rookie season. Brewer has a promising rookie season. I guess you could also put Joseph Noteboom in the picture too. He is the most experienced OT of all mentioned above entering his 4th season & has been the assigned starter for Kromer initially in 2019 & 2020 @ RG then LT for the injured AW.

So that's FIVE prospective starting RT's if needed .... signed & under contract all looking for a starting post if Havenstein was traded before 6-1-2021.

Last edited: