What will it take to make the Stafford trade worth it in your opinion?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will make you consider this trade a success?

• Super Bowl or bust

• Stafford in MVP contention

• Big numbers and Perennial Pro Bowler

• Just Outplay Goff

• Other (mention in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
In terms of "worth it" I'd say not having to defend Goff to my friends lol.

Just kidding. Superbowl or bust is what I said but obviously there are so many different factors (injuries, illness etc...) that can change that.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Super Bowl. But taking a step back.... if we are at 3rd and long and we don't run a 2 yard screen pass EVERY SINGLE TIME.... I'll settle for that minor victory as well. I want to see some FIRE and HEART and GRIT from my QB. We'll soon see.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
For Stafford to succeed, Corbett needs to be better than Blythe, Henderson and Jones need to stay healthy and learn how to pick up the biltz; and DeSean jackson needs to play like he did 5 years ago.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What gets me is that if we don't win a Super Bowl this year, some in his thread will call the trade and Matt Stafford a failure. Sure, we anticipate a Super Bowl win with him, but not every season. If we win one in two or three years, will skeptics give those of us who liked the trade, shyte until then? I mean, it's not like we are the Cheaters with videographers taping Super Bowl practices...
No. Those fans are the worst. Only way I give anybody shit is if Goff takes the Lions further than the Rams are taken by Stafford. And in that scenario, my shit-giving would be reserved to a couple people who earned it. There's no reason to be one of those bitter people who spend all their energy crapping on the team. I'll be hoping for the best and rooting for the Rams.
That's cool - but if your expectations dropped from 2018, then you can't really say "we made the Super Bowl with Goff so we need to win with Stafford" - that only works if you actually had the expectation to win it all each year.

Using your for anyone with that thought process.
No, that works because I had an expectation that Goff would take us into the playoffs and we just traded him and a number of picks to upgrade. So the upgrade should be able to deliver more. That doesn't mean Stafford needs to win a Super Bowl this year. But if he never even gets us there, yeah, I'll question the wisdom of the trade.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. Now he's a victim who had to endure the micro-managing head coach. :laugh4:
Goff was definitely not a victim of McVay lol. Their relationship fell apart. McVay wanted to move on. Hopefully, both find success in their new environments.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's probably not a coincidence that most people who opposed this trade won't be happy with anything other than a Super Bowl while most people who were for the trade will be happy with improved QB play.
It's not a coincidence. But it does speak to why some people opposed/didn't like the trade.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LOL. No. He didn't.

I find it so mind boggling that people people continue to preach the "be nice to Jared Goff mantra" when over the years people absolutely ripped other former Rams like Chris Long, Sam Bradford, Tavon Austin, Alec Ogletree, and Todd Gurley (no matter what their post-Ram success level was) but when someone dares to criticize and point out all the flaws Jared Goff has - that's suddenly off limits. And double the fact with this new found optimism with the 2021 Lions season I've seen in other threads.

I seriously wonder why that is. Jersey investments? I've been burned twice in that department so I would understand. Or can they not get over that "their guy" in 2016 didn't pan out?

And if he, you, or anyone else for that matter want to block me because I have this outlook, go right ahead. Certainly wouldn't be the first ones, nor the last. I know I'm not the most well received person here. That's fine, I've embraced the heel role when it comes to the Rams.

If that's the case, the means the O carried its weight. Something it didn't do the past couple years. At least consistently.

I’ll agree with not phrasing Jared Goff.I think I’ve done it a few times on his play.I think he had a winning mind set.I saw him loss confidence last season & his game went to crap.
I’ve said he runs like a FEM,not very masculine.Trouts onto the field like cleats with heels.Once flushed out of the pocket the play is 85% over imo.The ball mainly goes OB.
—I was never a FAN of The Jared Goff trade.I liked Nick Foles & Keenum. The QB from Oregon st. as a 3rd QB.They both went on to the NFC championship game & Foles beat the GOAT.Talk about draft picks ? Add 2 more & Goff.Then you have Matthew Stafford,which is a stiff price in one sense ??
To put blame on him for not winning though has never happened under Mcvay.I’m not a huge numbers guy.What I know is Jared Goff runs a solid 2 minute offense with his disco moves.I look forward what Stafford will look like in the 2 minute drills.I know he can keep a play alive better as well as his pocket presence.
I hear about Havenstien,but if Stafford can step up & back around to buy time that alone could make a big difference.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Nonsense. The Super Bowl is the ultimate goal for all 32 teams. Doesn't mean that everyone has a legitimate shot. But, that's the goal.

BTW, I question that so-called magnitude of this deal. Many see Goff, two future 1st round selections and a 3rd as a huge deal, but I don't.

Would I have made the deal? No.

But, as a long time draftnik who has always understood that NFL teams view future draft selections one round later for each year that past, I see the Rams value wise dealt Goff, a 2nd round pick and two 3rd rounders for a talented QB. And if the Rams teams do as well as many expect, these selections will be at the bottom of rounds where there is even a much lower hit rate in this crapshoot called the NFL Draft.

Now, if one still thinks highly of Goff, then it still may hurt. But, if one doesn't, getting rid of his contract is a huge plus in this deal on the Rams side.
Reality is though that the Rams will not have a first round pick until 2024 and if God forbid something happened to Stafford healthwise, they would be screwed with little ammo to obtain a legitimate QB during the remainder of Donald's career and during the prime of Ramsey's.

So yeah, it was a big & risky trade and you make that kind of trade with the mind of winning a SB. McVay said it himself..."We are not trying to win a trade, we are trying to win a SB!"

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
For Stafford to succeed, Corbett needs to be better than Blythe, Henderson and Jones need to stay healthy and learn how to pick up the biltz; and DeSean jackson needs to play like he did 5 years ago.
Well we better hope so, because Blythe was the weak link that was continually expoilted

To me it’s a little alarming that the Corbett option was also available last year yet apparently McVay didn’t think pressure up the middle was a problem (psych, of course he knew this) They are literally trotting out the same cast whom were available last year minus Blythe

This next part now is not directed to Bubba but to a few others;

If I may clarify (tho I’m not sure why) anyone believing McVay didn’t micro manage our QBs last year may wanna look up the definition, lol, one could argue he micro managed poor Wolfy to the hospital

That being said, I did not introduce the word victim, no that was “jump to conclusion“ guy(s)

I did say that micro management does tend stunt ones growth (ie the micro “managee“ so to speak)

Fair enough?

Last edited:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
What gets me is that if we don't win a Super Bowl this year, some in his thread will call the trade and Matt Stafford a failure. Sure, we anticipate a Super Bowl win with him, but not every season. If we win one in two or three years, will skeptics give those of us who liked the trade, shyte until then? I mean, it's not like we are the Cheaters with videographers taping Super Bowl practices...

I normally wouldn't have voted "Super Bowl or Bust" ... but McVay himself more or less said that's what this trade was about.

I don't think it necessarily has to be this year, but within the next few. The timeline with Stafford is definitely condensed; this very much looks like a "win it all now" move.

So within the next two or three seasons, we get to watch Stafford lead the Rams to a Super Bowl win, then it was all worth it. If no Super Bowls ... then the evaluation might get a little tougher.

Last edited:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What this poll really shows is exactly what I've expressed. McVay has no more excuses. He's got a championship-caliber roster and the perfect fit at QB for his offense. He has that round peg now to fit in his round hole. No more excuses, a coach couldn't ask for a better setup leading to a Lombardi.
The coach who has brought a winning culture and 4 straight winning seasons to a franchise that had been flaming garbage for a decade and a half? The 30 something year old coach who took our Rams to a SB birth in year 2? The coach that already has a coaching tree that rivals a lot of the best we've seen since Parcells? That's the coach who has "no more excuses"? How quickly we forget...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not a coincidence. But it does speak to why some people opposed/didn't like the trade.

Can you expand on that? Genuinely curious.

To me it's seemed like people who opposed or liked the trade do so based on how much value they place on Goff and Stafford individually, which doesn't really have anything to do with the Super Bowl.

I expect the Rams to win it all next year, but that's because aside from Stafford, we have McVay, a run game, great WRs, a solid OL and hopefully a top 5 defense. I suppose I'd be more open to people proclaiming Super Bowl or bust for Stafford specifically if it's qualified with "all things equal aside from QB from 2020 to 2021" - otherwise to me it's the same as the last few years where I expect that and it's a team failure if we don't get there.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
They won a road playoff game this past season.
If the former QB was still on the team, that would be the bar for next season
That’s how it works.
Seems like you doubt Stafford can do it.
Thats sad
Really? So you felt like our former QB was doing great and would lead us to the SB? Really? I mean, seriously.... Do you believe that? All good if you do, just curious. I loved JG..... until I didn't.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
No. Those fans are the worst. Only way I give anybody shit is if Goff takes the Lions further than the Rams are taken by Stafford. And in that scenario, my shit-giving would be reserved to a couple people who earned it. There's no reason to be one of those bitter people who spend all their energy crapping on the team. I'll be hoping for the best and rooting for the Rams.

No, that works because I had an expectation that Goff would take us into the playoffs and we just traded him and a number of picks to upgrade. So the upgrade should be able to deliver more. That doesn't mean Stafford needs to win a Super Bowl this year. But if he never even gets us there, yeah, I'll question the wisdom of the trade.
Precisely. "If he never gets there we should question the wisdom of the trade" regardless of what Goff does in Detroit. That's because the two teams are night and day.

Having said that, I like our chances to at least 'get there'.

To me it's seemed like people who opposed or liked the trade do so based on how much value they place on Goff and Stafford individually, which doesn't really have anything to do with the Super Bowl.

I expect the Rams to win it all next year, but that's because aside from Stafford, we have McVay, a run game, great WRs, a solid OL and hopefully a top 5 defense.
Sure it has everything to do with the Superbowl. That's the goal isn't it?

As far as "besides Stafford", 3 out of 5 ain't bad.
I don't know how good the run game or O line will be.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've pushed our chips into the center of the table
That's what the media has been saying since we signed Suh.....

It's a team sport. Our coach felt that an upgrade was needed at QB. We all know you are a Goff guy. So was I. Still hope he plays well in Detroit. Our chips have been all in since McVay got here and I love it...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I normally wouldn't have voted "Super Bowl or Bust" ... but McVay himself more or less said that's what this trade was about.

I don't think it necessarily has to be this year, but within the next few. The timeline with Stafford is definitely condensed; this very much looks like a "win it all now" move.

So within the next two or three seasons, we get to watch Stafford lead the Rams to a Super Bowl win, then it was all worth it. If no Super Bowls ... then the evaluation might get a little tougher.
Me too. I expect a Super Bowl win in the next three years and I really believe that Stafford is the key. It's unrealistic to expect, however, to put all of the pressure on this year. Heaven help us if the Lions eke out a win! I cheered on Goff with every game and still hope he does well, but I hope AD cleans his clock on game day....

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
In reality, a SB win defines success in the NFL. So I went with the first option. For me as a fan, I want to watch a QB that gives me confidence at that position. I want a leader. I think we have that now and it has been sorely lacking really since Warner. Now we have a leader on both sides of the ball.

I was always a Goff supporter and if he was still in horns, I would be to this day. That said, Goff never made me truly confident that I would know which Goff I would get from game to game - hell - even from play to play. I saw a kid with great accuracy and a will to get up and brush himself off. But I also saw a kid that simply looked lost at times and seemingly unaware that a defender would have the audacity to try to knock the ball from his hands. He would go from threading the needle to throwing unbelievable WTF passes. There was not only too much inconsistency, but it appeared that rather than improving, the inconsistent play was just getting more prevalent.

So SB or bust HAS to be a team's mindset and ultimate determination of "success". So if looking at the trade by itself? Absolutely.

I would be ecstatic with another SB win or more. But as a Ram fan, I know that everything has to fall in place and you have to be at least a little bit lucky. I will always love my team and if they are in the hunt consistently, that will still be a success.

Now let's go get some fucking hardware!
What can I say. This post had it all. I laughed, I cried. Well DONE sir!!

So many amazing posts in this thread. I wasn't even going to open it out of fear of it becoming a shit show, but there have been amazing posts by amazing fans on both sides of this topic. It's refreshing af to be a part of this forum. It really is. I respect (almost) everyone on here and enjoy the conversation. Good shit ya'll.