What will it take to make the Stafford trade worth it in your opinion?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will make you consider this trade a success?

• Super Bowl or bust

• Stafford in MVP contention

• Big numbers and Perennial Pro Bowler

• Just Outplay Goff

• Other (mention in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not necessarily. Teams are always trying to get better but this particular move was made to get a superbowl win. Mcvay and Snead stated as much.

So if Stafford plays lights out and the defense falls apart, is it a bad trade?
(Again different season, teams, and circumstances).

I wouldn't think so.
And the question did ask our opinion and not what McVay or Snead may think.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good. We're agreed that this is a Super Bowl or bust trade. But it's also worth noting that none of the moves you mentioned were nearly as significant in terms of what we gave up, outside of the Ramsey trade. And the Ramsey trade was us acquiring arguably the best CB in the NFL at the age of 25, so it was justifiable as both a short-term decision and a long-term decision. (In fact, all of those trades involved us acquiring relatively young players.) In the case of this trade, we acquired a much more veteran player. We've pushed our chips into the center of the table.

Except that it's entirely possible that Ramsey and Stafford exit their primes at the same time.

I adamantly disagree that the Ramsey trade made more sense.

The difference in value of a QB versus a CB is astronomical.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we had kept Goff, I'd have felt good about our chances of making the playoffs. Beyond that, not so much. So for me, the trade should elevate our thinking. If I feel good about making the playoffs with our previous QB, the upgrade needs to make me feel good about making the Super Bowl. Otherwise, what's the point?

You're forgetting the Lions didn't just get picks. They also got a starting QB. If Goff continues his regressing play, that'll obviously make the trade look better on our side. But if Goff progresses, that'll get factored in too. A solid starting QB is worth a first round pick.

I didn't feel it was Super Bowl or bust. I felt we had a chance each year. But I also felt that there was no pressure because our window was going to be open for a long time. McVay obviously didn't feel the same way.

That's cool - but if your expectations dropped from 2018, then you can't really say "we made the Super Bowl with Goff so we need to win with Stafford" - that only works if you actually had the expectation to win it all each year.

Using your for anyone with that thought process.

Hobgoblin

Rookie
Some dejavu.

Stafford(Green) gets injured early. Wolford comes in and does well making the trade very questionable. That would suck.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As always actions speak louder than words and the action was to trade for Stafford giving up their starting qb and a boatload of picks. So make of that what you will.

Problem there is, in the post I quoted you seem to be hanging on to something McVay SAID. So if actions speak louder than words, I'm not sure why you were putting so much stock into McVay saying that to begin with.

I agree that actions speak louder than words though - and every action has lined right up with trading Goff. Super Bowl or bust every year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They won a road playoff game this past season.
If the former QB was still on the team, that would be the bar for next season
That’s how it works.
Seems like you doubt Stafford can do it.
Thats sad

That's definitely the bar - for the team.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's probably not a coincidence that most people who opposed this trade won't be happy with anything other than a Super Bowl while most people who were for the trade will be happy with improved QB play.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All the Rams needed to get to another Super Bowl was a healthy Todd Gurley. Right after the Super Bowl loss, I posted that this was Jared Goff's team now. I knew Gurley's injury was serious when he could not play in the biggest game of his life, after several weeks of rest to get better. Well, Goff could not carry the team, so McVay went looking elsewhere. The Rams were lucky that Detroit was hiring Brad Holmes to be their GM or the Rams would have had serious competition for Stafford and Goff might still be their QB. And who knows.. with one of those first round picks, they just might have picked the next great running back. Will Goff get better at reading defenses? I don't know. But this is a new team and a new year, and we already lost Akers. So forget the comparisons and the arguments because there are no concrete answers to this trade now OR in the future. GO RAMS!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You gave up two late 1's for Ramsey and a 4th for a 25 yr old shut down CB who was the best at his position.

Here we traded a 26 yr old Goff, two 1st's, and a 3rd for a 33 yr old QB who might be the 6th or 7th best QB.

That 2nd trade was more desperate and speaks all in now.
That’s a legitimate take. However, one could argue that the 6th or 7th best QB in the NFL is more valuable to the success of a football team than a shut-down CB.

dang

Legend
2 things come to mind regarding the Stafford trade:
1) The Rams offense will always be the brainchild of McVay. He takes it very personal when it underperforms. Well it’s been underperforming since the Lions game in 2018. Time to make impactful changes such as QB.
2) McVay is always going to treat the Rams HC job with the “strive for perfection…achieve excellence” mentality. Goff is a Good NFL QB but as of late not in the Very Good or Excellent category. Goff’s ceiling of being a consistently Good NFL QB no longer fits the model. Stafford must prove it and stay healthy but appears to have a Very Good to Excellent ceiling.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Only one team wins the Super Bowl per year. Trading away Goff and picks for Stafford was a calculated move to give the team it's best chance to win a ring while Donald and Ramsey are in their primes. Stafford fits in nicely with that timeline.

Assuming health, we'll be in the mix for years. More of a contender than without Stafford. That's a win for me as a fan.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Like the way you called him out!!

LOL. No. He didn't.

I find it so mind boggling that people people continue to preach the "be nice to Jared Goff mantra" when over the years people absolutely ripped other former Rams like Chris Long, Sam Bradford, Tavon Austin, Alec Ogletree, and Todd Gurley (no matter what their post-Ram success level was) but when someone dares to criticize and point out all the flaws Jared Goff has - that's suddenly off limits. And double the fact with this new found optimism with the 2021 Lions season I've seen in other threads.

I seriously wonder why that is. Jersey investments? I've been burned twice in that department so I would understand. Or can they not get over that "their guy" in 2016 didn't pan out?

And if he, you, or anyone else for that matter want to block me because I have this outlook, go right ahead. Certainly wouldn't be the first ones, nor the last. I know I'm not the most well received person here. That's fine, I've embraced the heel role when it comes to the Rams.

So if Stafford plays lights out and the defense falls apart, is it a bad trade?
(Again different season, teams, and circumstances).

I wouldn't think so.
And the question did ask our opinion and not what McVay or Snead may think.

If that's the case, the means the O carried its weight. Something it didn't do the past couple years. At least consistently.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s a legitimate take. However, one could argue that the 6th or 7th best QB in the NFL is more valuable to the success of a football team than a shut-down CB.

One could argue that...? Nah man. There's no debate there. Going from a bottom 10 QB to a top 10 QB - if that's how you view them - is itself worth more than Ramsey.

Removing Goff for a second - let's pretend were Washington. They have the chance to trade for Stafford or Ramsey. Since we're removing Goff, we will even add a second round pick, which is about what his trade value probably was.

So would Washington rather trade two firsts and a 4th for Ramsey or two firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd for Stafford.

Washington is a good example too because they have a good pass rush, poor QB play. Not perfect, but a decent comparison.

And there is absolutely no decision there. The trade for Stafford is superior for both immediate and future outlook. The 10th best QB is worth a ton more than the best CB. A ton. If you think Stafford is better than 10th, then it's even more lopsided.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Winning a super bowl is extremely hard in the NFL. Who would have thought that Drew Brees would retire with only one? And that Aaron Rodgers may retire with only one himself? Both with only one appearance of peace. I just need Stafford to make us a legitimate contender every year just like the saints were for about 10 years with breeze. I'll be extremely disappointed if we don't win one but I would love to be one of the five or six best teams in the league every year.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In reality, a SB win defines success in the NFL. So I went with the first option. For me as a fan, I want to watch a QB that gives me confidence at that position. I want a leader. I think we have that now and it has been sorely lacking really since Warner. Now we have a leader on both sides of the ball.

I was always a Goff supporter and if he was still in horns, I would be to this day. That said, Goff never made me truly confident that I would know which Goff I would get from game to game - hell - even from play to play. I saw a kid with great accuracy and a will to get up and brush himself off. But I also saw a kid that simply looked lost at times and seemingly unaware that a defender would have the audacity to try to knock the ball from his hands. He would go from threading the needle to throwing unbelievable WTF passes. There was not only too much inconsistency, but it appeared that rather than improving, the inconsistent play was just getting more prevalent.

So SB or bust HAS to be a team's mindset and ultimate determination of "success". So if looking at the trade by itself? Absolutely.

I would be ecstatic with another SB win or more. But as a Ram fan, I know that everything has to fall in place and you have to be at least a little bit lucky. I will always love my team and if they are in the hunt consistently, that will still be a success.

Now let's go get some fucking hardware!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
One could argue that...? Nah man. There's no debate there. Going from a bottom 10 QB to a top 10 QB - if that's how you view them - is itself worth more than Ramsey.

Removing Goff for a second - let's pretend were Washington. They have the chance to trade for Stafford or Ramsey. Since we're removing Goff, we will even add a second round pick, which is about what his trade value probably was.

So would Washington rather trade two firsts and a 4th for Ramsey or two firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd for Stafford.

Washington is a good example too because they have a good pass rush, poor QB play. Not perfect, but a decent comparison.

And there is absolutely no decision there. The trade for Stafford is superior for both immediate and future outlook. The 10th best QB is worth a ton more than the best CB. A ton. If you think Stafford is better than 10th, then it's even more lopsided.

Think the Giants might be a better comp. The biggest issue with them is Daniel Jones and his TOs, but he's decent to good when everything else is right. Sound familiar???

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You are agreeing with my point.

You're just being a little more emphatic about it.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm back from my hiatus guys! Training camp starts tomorrow so it's time for me to start frequenting the boards again. So what did I miss?

*Scrolls through the messages*

*Reads two pages of goff fighting*

Oh... Absolutely nothing at all lol