What will it take to make the Stafford trade worth it in your opinion?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will make you consider this trade a success?

• Super Bowl or bust

• Stafford in MVP contention

• Big numbers and Perennial Pro Bowler

• Just Outplay Goff

• Other (mention in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Memphis Ram

Legend
They won a road playoff game this past season.
If the former QB was still on the team, that would be the bar for next season
That’s how it works.
Seems like you doubt Stafford can do it.
Thats sad

They were in the Super Bowl a couple seasons back. That didn't mean anything the following season.
Different season. Different team. Different circumstances.

I don't doubt or expect the TEAM with Stafford can do it or not. I hope so.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have been Super Bowl or bust for three consecutive years now, and all three were a disappointment.

In that span you had the following moves that fell under the "Super Bowl or bust" label:

Trade for Cooks
Trade for Peters
Trading Quinn
Letting Saffold walk
Trade for Ramsey
Trade for Fowler

Yet few if any of these moves sparked this type of thread. The Ramsey move in particular, where we gave up what will likely be more draft capital, is especially damning. If it makes people who didn't like the trade feel better by saying Super Bowl or bust - cool. Welcome to the mindset most of us had to begin with I guess. A little confused as to why the expectations weren't up there to begin with, but to each their own.

When you're a true Super Bowl contender like we have been for the past few years, the season is an automatic fail if you don't win it. Every move from that off-season to get you to that goal was a fail for that season. If you eventually win a Super Bowl because of those moves, all is well.

So if that's the case for every move, makes more sense to identify something more specific to measure by. At the end of the day, Stafford could have the best QB season and NFL history and we could still lose because he doesn't play defense.

Of course this was a fail if we don't win it all. Keeping Goff also would have been a fail if we didn't end up winning it all. Re-signing Floyd is another one that could end up being a fail.
Good. We're agreed that this is a Super Bowl or bust trade. But it's also worth noting that none of the moves you mentioned were nearly as significant in terms of what we gave up, outside of the Ramsey trade. And the Ramsey trade was us acquiring arguably the best CB in the NFL at the age of 25, so it was justifiable as both a short-term decision and a long-term decision. (In fact, all of those trades involved us acquiring relatively young players.) In the case of this trade, we acquired a much more veteran player. We've pushed our chips into the center of the table.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just curious - what move do you think they've made to NOT get a Superbowl win?

Let's say they kept Goff and didn't make the trade and a reporter asked what the goal was for the season - do you think they would have said anything other than "win the Superbowl"?

As always actions speak louder than words and the action was to trade for Stafford giving up their starting qb and a boatload of picks. So make of that what you will.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, to say that the Rams have to make the Super Bowl because of this trade suggests to me one would have to believe that to be the likely outcome if the trade hadn't occurred.

In other words, wouldn't the thought process have to be that they can't make that trade and not make the Super Bowl, because they were going to the Super Bowl with Goff and those draft choices?:thinking:
If we had kept Goff, I'd have felt good about our chances of making the playoffs. Beyond that, not so much. So for me, the trade should elevate our thinking. If I feel good about making the playoffs with our previous QB, the upgrade needs to make me feel good about making the Super Bowl. Otherwise, what's the point?
In both trades we gave up two firsts and a midround pick - it's very likely that we gave up what will be more draft compensation for Ramsey than we did Stafford.

The 10th best QB (low end of the opinion of Stafford here) is worth faaaaaaaaar more than the best CB in the NFL. More than a Jared Goff IMO.

And the age for a QB doesn't mean much. It's possible that Stafford and Ramsey exit their respective primes at the same time.

What this really comes down to are people's opinions on Goff and Stafford - because griping about the draft compensation makes little sense unless you griped about it for Ramsey, particularly when the Jags got pick 20 and 25 which are both going to likely end up being higher than what the Lions get.

To me neither move was desperate, and I think the Stafford trade was better and will be more impactful.
You're forgetting the Lions didn't just get picks. They also got a starting QB. If Goff continues his regressing play, that'll obviously make the trade look better on our side. But if Goff progresses, that'll get factored in too. A solid starting QB is worth a first round pick.
Actually what's really funny is seeing fans now emphasize "SUPER BOWL OR BUST"....like.....have some of us not had that expectation the past few years?? It's been that way since the second we lost to Atlanta in the playoffs, every year. Whether we traded for Stafford, rolled with Goff, or went in another direction - all three decisions would be classified as "Super Bowl or bust"
I didn't feel it was Super Bowl or bust. I felt we had a chance each year. But I also felt that there was no pressure because our window was going to be open for a long time. McVay obviously didn't feel the same way.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Seems to me that would make every single transaction made a failure if they don't win a Super Bowl as I doubt the team would draft, trade for, or pick up too many, if any players, McVay doesn't believe will get him to that ultimate goal. Not just this trade.
Nonsense. When a team, who was in the SB a few yrs ago and has been a perennial contender and makes this kind of trade, then a SB is the target. When a 6, 7 or 8 win team makes this kind of trade it is to become a contender.

So no not evey trade means you have to win a SB, but every trade is designed to improve your team. And a trade of this magnitude means you expect significant improvement. Significant improvement for this team, based on the last 3 yrs would, be a SB win. No?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In both trades we gave up two firsts and a midround pick - it's very likely that we gave up what will be more draft compensation for Ramsey than we did Stafford.

The 10th best QB (low end of the opinion of Stafford here) is worth faaaaaaaaar more than the best CB in the NFL. More than a Jared Goff IMO.

And the age for a QB doesn't mean much. It's possible that Stafford and Ramsey exit their respective primes at the same time.

What this really comes down to are people's opinions on Goff and Stafford - because griping about the draft compensation makes little sense unless you griped about it for Ramsey, particularly when the Jags got pick 20 and 25 which are both going to likely end up being higher than what the Lions get.

To me neither move was desperate, and I think the Stafford trade was better and will be more impactful.
Not a 33 yr old QB that may only have 3 good healthy yrs left at best.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So what would you like to see from the Rams Quarterback Matthew Stafford in order to consider this trade a success?

Consistent QB play with minimal mistakes that allows the coaches to continue to evolve and enhance the O without having to worry about protecting the QB, then having to worry about a TO when he goes to execute the perfect play drawn up for him. Coach shouldn't have to do the same bootleg to protect him, eliminate half the field, and have a single receiver to target...only for him to throw the pick anyway. Ugh.

That's the difference from a playoff team to a SB contender and MS should be able to do that. I fully expect that MS will throw some picks in his own right, but my reaction should be surprise, rather than expectation of said turnovers.

Goff seems to get all of the credit when it comes to 2018, despite his inability to read adjustments from the defenses after McVay’s Mike cute out.

I’d wager that it was more about McVays offense and teams struggling to catch up to it defensively, coupled with a lot of time behind an Oline protecting him well. Take away both advantages and he’s just a JAG, which he’s proven.

I was very happy when the Rams picked him, but it didn’t work out. He’s not what we hoped for.

He absolutely should get credit. He regressed for a multitude of reasons after the Chiefs game that year and became stagnant. Where did he develop more in the games and seasons after? Not many.

How about those of us hanging on to the "we had zero winning seasons in the 12 years before Goff and he led us to four winning seasons in five years as our QB"? I've had more than enough of people shitting on the guy. He never did a thing to disrespect this franchise as our QB. He played through injuries. He stood tall even when taking beatings. He behaved himself off the field. And he helped us win football games. The Rams made the decision to trade him. That's their right.

Regardless of the break-up, I like Goff, I appreciate what he did as our QB, and I'm tired of people spewing bullshit about him. It reminds me of how many in this fanbase treated Kurt. You can celebrate Stafford without talking bad about Goff or saying things that are patently false. I've been trying to hold my tongue after the way things blew up here following the trade. But I don't think it's too much to ask for people to not bash Goff in every Stafford thread. This thread topic asks what Stafford needs to do to make the trade worth it, not why Jared Goff is a shitty liability who prevented this team from achieving more. :eyeroll:

Finally, I'll reiterate that Goff has been a young QB his entire time here. Inconsistent play and statistical regression are completely normal for pocket passers his age. Go look at Stafford's career. He sucked as a rookie. Made a huge leap in years two and three (but was injured for most of year two). Then, he regressed and played mediocre football the next three years. He didn't become the QB he is today with any consistency until he was 27 years old (which is normal for a pocket passer). Goff is still 26 years old.

I won't complain because the Rams didn't want to wait and see on Goff. They think their window is limited. That's fine. That's their call. But this is the reality of having a young pocket passer as your QB. I've said that for years. It is what it is. I hope we win a Super Bowl. I hope this trade works out for us. And I hope some people in this fanbase give the Goff slander a rest. The dude hasn't earned it. And a good chunk of us don't appreciate it. Now, we can get back to talking about Stafford.

Normally I just scroll right by your posts b/c I know better to than to get into a long-winded argument when one disagrees with you. So this is my one and only response to you.

First - get over it when someone criticizes Jared Goff. It aint some vendetta against him.

Second - I don't care about the 12 yrs prior; has absolutely zero to do with the last couple years and next year.

Third - 2019 and 2020 he slowly became a liability; if you sat there during the games with full confidence knowing he wouldn't throw a pick, or cough up the ball when he took a sack, especially towards the end of the year (i.e., the most important months to seal your playoff destiny....then you sure had a helluva lot more confidence than me. He had SEVEN INTs alone in the last 6 games. That is NOT good. All they had to do was the beat the damn Jets and they were in.

Instead, they had to scrape and claw to win with a backup QB in Week 17. They were THIS close to missing out on the playoffs altogether. IDK about you, but I have MUCH higher expectations for the 5th year professional QB. Any QB, and I expect MS to exceed those.

Finally - This is not shitting on a QB or "slander" or whatever else you want to call it. I'm not happy with regression. I'm not happy seeing the team lose to bottom feeders like the Jets or a team with Nick Mullens at QB on a team full of backups.

Again, get over it. I find it really weird people are so sensitive when it comes to JG. I can almost hear the violin playing when you tell me I should appreciate him for what he's done. He's had moments and even seasons, absolutely. Those days were gone starting in 2019 with no signs of improvement through December 2020. I can only give him so many passes, so screw it. He's a pro QB that's regressed and the pro team that had him decided they wanted more. Plain and simple.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Normally I just scroll right by your posts b/c I know better to than to get into a long-winded argument when one disagrees with you. So this is my one and only response to you.
Please do next time. Because I'm quite fine with you not bothering.
First - get over it when someone criticizes Jared Goff. It aint some vendetta against him.
He's not even on the team anymore. Yet, your first post in this thread was entirely dedicated to attacking Goff, instead of answering the actual question asked. Actions speak louder than words.
Third - 2019 and 2020 he slowly became a liability; if you sat there during the games with full confidence knowing he wouldn't throw a pick, or cough up the ball when he took a sack, especially towards the end of the year (i.e., the most important months to seal your playoff destiny....then you sure had a helluva lot more confidence than me. He had SEVEN INTs alone in the last 6 games. That is NOT good. All they had to do was the beat the damn Jets and they were in.
He was certainly a liability in 2020. It happens. But let's talk 2019. We had an average defense. We had one of the league's worst running games. And we had a leaky OL. Yet, we scored 27+ points in 9 games (30+ in 6 games). Our record in those 9 games was 6-3. Our record in the games where we scored less than 20 was 1-3. Our record in games where we scored 20 to 26 points was 2-1. Our defense didn't carry us to a winning record that year. Our running game certainly didn't carry us to a winning record that year. So who the hell did?
Instead, they had to scrape and claw to win with a backup QB in Week 17. They were THIS close to missing out on the playoffs altogether. IDK about you, but I have MUCH higher expectations for the 5th year professional QB. Any QB, and I expect MS to exceed those.
I expect current Stafford to exceed them as well. But Stafford in his fifth year certainly didn't. He had 19 INTs and 12 fumbles (4 lost) that year. And we likely wouldn't have been scraping and clawing to win in Week 17 had Goff not been injured against Seattle. Say what you will, but as bad as he was against SF, he had a habit of torching Arizona. Regardless, it's interesting to me that we're going to lay the Jets at Goff's feet. That was an embarrassing effort by the entire team. I'm totally fine with laying that at Goff's feet if you want, but if we're doing that, how many wins are we also laying at his feet?
Finally - This is not shitting on a QB or "slander" or whatever else you want to call it. I'm not happy with regression. I'm not happy seeing the team lose to bottom feeders like the Jets or a team with Nick Mullens at QB on a team full of backups.
A couple examples of "slander" here:
"Because the QB damn near ruined a perfect defensive performance again Tom Brady."
"I'm not a coach but even a 10 year old could see he was staring at one guy the whole time."

Yes, Goff threw two INTs against Tampa Bay. He also led the offense to 27 points and threw for 376 yards and 3 TDs. The defense was great in that game, but it blows my mind that you honestly criticized our former QB for doing that in a win against the Super Bowl champions. As for your comment about him locking onto one WR the whole time, it's verifiably false. I am happy to post videos showing him working across the field through his progressions. But this ain't about what's true. It's about petty grievances.
Again, get over it. I find it really weird people are so sensitive when it comes to JG. I can almost hear the violin playing when you tell me I should appreciate him for what he's done. He's had moments and even seasons, absolutely. Those days were gone starting in 2019 with no signs of improvement through December 2020. I can only give him so many passes, so screw it. He's a pro QB that's regressed and the pro team that had him decided they wanted more. Plain and simple.
This is rich, dude. You came into this thread and ignored the actual topic of the thread to devote your entire first post to crapping on Goff. But you're telling those of us who don't want to read that shit to get over it. My "sensitivity" comes from liking the kid and appreciating what he did for this club. Unsurprisingly, I'd rather not come on here and read bitter posts full of erroneous nonsense in thread after thread. Maybe the answer is just blocking people. But I really hate doing that because I typically like hearing people's views, including yours.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is rich, dude. You came into this thread and ignored the actual topic of the thread to devote your entire first post to crapping on Goff. But you're telling those of us who don't want to read that shit to get over it. My "sensitivity" comes from liking the kid and appreciating what he did for this club. Unsurprisingly, I'd rather not come on here and read bitter posts full of erroneous nonsense in thread after thread.

this is all that needs to be said.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No worries dude sometimes it’s hard to tell via message board how things are meant. I might have read too much into the bold font. But I was sincerely not trying to overstate Goff’s play in anyway
My read was that he couldn’t believe The Rams traded Goff away at all.

Personally I’m actually amazed at The Trades Les Snead has made under Sean Mcvay.
Gosh - I couldn’t imagine what Goff would have been without Mcvay (Fisher) ?
The question I will have now is how good will e moving forward with & without Mcvay from both QB’s.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Goff was 24 at the time (Peyton Manning was almost 26 when a bad 5 T/O game spawned the epic Jim Mora playoffs??? rant)

Combine with McVays constant micro management I’d say he was in a less than satisfactory environment to blossom into “read the defense guy” giving he had 15 seconds to decide which off the two plays McVay called would work, oh and his interior pass pro was disastrous to say the least (not that...that would factor in to his “regression”) I expect the usual haha emoji’s from the usual suspects, lol

As I’ve said before, this year will be most telling, we’ll get to see who this guy really is, I really like what the Lions are doing and yeah, I’ll be rooting for them this year (except week 6)

To the topic, yeah all in but losing Akers is a serious blow
Excuses. You guys crack me up with all of the ways you can rationalize what you saw.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Excuses. You guys crack me up with all of the ways you can rationalize what you saw.
Well again, as I’ve said before, we’re going to find out quite a bit this year, this will play out.

So there’s really no point in bantering back and forth.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Please do next time. Because I'm quite fine with you not bothering.

He's not even on the team anymore. Yet, your first post in this thread was entirely dedicated to attacking Goff, instead of answering the actual question asked. Actions speak louder than words.

He was certainly a liability in 2020. It happens. But let's talk 2019. We had an average defense. We had one of the league's worst running games. And we had a leaky OL. Yet, we scored 27+ points in 9 games (30+ in 6 games). Our record in those 9 games was 6-3. Our record in the games where we scored less than 20 was 1-3. Our record in games where we scored 20 to 26 points was 2-1. Our defense didn't carry us to a winning record that year. Our running game certainly didn't carry us to a winning record that year. So who the hell did?

I expect current Stafford to exceed them as well. But Stafford in his fifth year certainly didn't. He had 19 INTs and 12 fumbles (4 lost) that year. And we likely wouldn't have been scraping and clawing to win in Week 17 had Goff not been injured against Seattle. Say what you will, but as bad as he was against SF, he had a habit of torching Arizona. Regardless, it's interesting to me that we're going to lay the Jets at Goff's feet. That was an embarrassing effort by the entire team. I'm totally fine with laying that at Goff's feet if you want, but if we're doing that, how many wins are we also laying at his feet?

A couple examples of "slander" here:
"Because the QB damn near ruined a perfect defensive performance again Tom Brady."
"I'm not a coach but even a 10 year old could see he was staring at one guy the whole time."

Yes, Goff threw two INTs against Tampa Bay. He also led the offense to 27 points and threw for 376 yards and 3 TDs. The defense was great in that game, but it blows my mind that you honestly criticized our former QB for doing that in a win against the Super Bowl champions. As for your comment about him locking onto one WR the whole time, it's verifiably false. I am happy to post videos showing him working across the field through his progressions. But this ain't about what's true. It's about petty grievances.

This is rich, dude. You came into this thread and ignored the actual topic of the thread to devote your entire first post to crapping on Goff. But you're telling those of us who don't want to read that shit to get over it. My "sensitivity" comes from liking the kid and appreciating what he did for this club. Unsurprisingly, I'd rather not come on here and read bitter posts full of erroneous nonsense in thread after thread. Maybe the answer is just blocking people. But I really hate doing that because I typically like hearing people's views, including yours.
Like the way you called him out!!

Trurh is I don’t know the answer to what will make the trade successful.I’d actually like to say it is a win win for both teams.

I’d say though for me it is always not about winning or losing.Come to play each game at a above standard.The NFC West will be tough.

The Brady & Aaron Rogers game is an example of Brady throwing 3 Int’s against Green Bay at Green Bay & still winning.He was only 18-33 199 yards & 2 TD’s against the Saints.

I continue to call out Aaron Donald for his selfish 15 yard penalty that had Goff playing from behind.He was 15-16 at one point with a broken hand. Did anyone notice Jared Goff 7 times at GB playing WR with a broken hand ? I wonder what Cam Akers was going to do ? Pass it to a hurt Copper Kupp. I respect what Jared Goff did & stood up for as a Rams QB on the field.I’m not a fan of a QB chewing tobacco.His relationship with his woman IMO got in his way to his dedication that made him the player he was.Covid & preseason didn’t help things.I thought The Rams would have had an edge up on most teams,because The Rams Offense has been together since DAY 1.

I’d say it is a BAD trade if Matthew Stafford doesn’t ENJOY this REVID UP OFFENSE & SOFI STADIUM!! DJ1 & a Jet sweep. Going to training camp this week just to get a peak at it.Not expecting Cam Akers taking any snaps,so an injury would be a NIGHTMARE!! Worst case
—Still we saw Wolford start a playoff game against The Hags(at) only to see The Rams win & knock Russell Wilson out of the playoffs & almost get traded himself.Now Aaron Rogers wants out of Green Bay ,of course(sad) Tom Brady is the g.o.a.t & Drew Bree’s is bye bye. - history speaks for itself.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well again, as I’ve said before, we’re going to find out quite a bit this year, this will play out.

Are you happy with the trade ? I guess the question is what will make it successful for The Rams ?
This Rams team IMO has some question marks in order to win a SuperBowl. I believe if those are answered right Matthew Stafford will have a better season away from Detroit as Tom Brady just had away from NE. It’s a team sport though & there is a lot that goes into.
Bubba Rams flashed Detroit’s schedule up & looks like it might be a early snowy winter in Michigan & over the Top Hot winter in So. Cal.I’d say it’s not a bad forecast on what is to come for Ram Fans.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What gets me is that if we don't win a Super Bowl this year, some in his thread will call the trade and Matt Stafford a failure. Sure, we anticipate a Super Bowl win with him, but not every season. If we win one in two or three years, will skeptics give those of us who liked the trade, shyte until then? I mean, it's not like we are the Cheaters with videographers taping Super Bowl practices...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
What gets me is that if we don't win a Super Bowl this year, some in his thread will call the trade and Matt Stafford a failure. Sure, we anticipate a Super Bowl win with him, but not every season. If we win one in two or three years, will skeptics give those of us who liked the trade, shyte until then? I mean, it's not like we are the Cheaters with videographers taping Super Bowl practices...
Count me out from that group, the only point I was trying to make was in line with jrry, I’m 100% in agreement with jrry’s assessment with regards to our former QBs growth, not that I need jrry to formulate my opinion, he just states it better.

As for the OP poll, to me it’s water under the bridge, what’s done is done all we can do as real fans is get on board, that being said I voted the fist choice

oldnotdead

Legend
I have no doubt that Stafford will give the offense a consistency they have been lacking the last couple of years. That alone will make this team better.

What I want to see from this team is a true Super Bowl contender, i.e. a team no one wants to play. If Stafford can simply get this team to that level it will justify the trade. I honestly feel that Stafford gives them a 3-4 year window of opportunity to not just get to Super Bowls but to win them as well. The Rams beat the Bucs with a lesser team last year. IMO this team is better on both sides of the ball then the one that beat the Bucs last year.

Week 3 will be a complete dogfight in SoFi. If they can beat the Bucs convincingly, this team will be the Super Bowl favorite. They have the defense and though Morris is new to the Rams, he's a proven DC. They have better speed on offense with Jackson, Tutu and now Funk. Burgess is much faster than Johnson. I think Hollins is likely to be the starter and he brings even more speed off the edge opposite Floyd. People originally didn't think Floyd was an upgrade to Fowler, but I certainly did and Hollins is a very good bookend to Floyd. With Floyd and Hollins off the edges and AD and Robinson inside this is an awesome 4 man front with speed off the edges and power inside. All this vs TB who isn't particularly mobile. That is Tampa's offensive Achilles heel and how the Rams will beat them again in SofFi.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I don’t think this is true in the slightest.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Then why try to go to such lengths to make excuses?

I tend to go by what I see. If I saw signs of greatness in Jared then I’d still be holding out hope for him. The league found his weaknesses and adjusted accordingly. So far Goff has not made any adjustments to counter it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Nonsense. When a team, who was in the SB a few yrs ago and has been a perennial contender and makes this kind of trade, then a SB is the target. When a 6, 7 or 8 win team makes this kind of trade it is to become a contender.

So no not evey trade means you have to win a SB, but every trade is designed to improve your team. And a trade of this magnitude means you expect significant improvement. Significant improvement for this team, based on the last 3 yrs would, be a SB win. No?

Nonsense. The Super Bowl is the ultimate goal for all 32 teams. Doesn't mean that everyone has a legitimate shot. But, that's the goal.

BTW, I question that so-called magnitude of this deal. Many see Goff, two future 1st round selections and a 3rd as a huge deal, but I don't.

Would I have made the deal? No.

But, as a long time draftnik who has always understood that NFL teams view future draft selections one round later for each year that past, I see the Rams value wise dealt Goff, a 2nd round pick and two 3rd rounders for a talented QB. And if the Rams teams do as well as many expect, these selections will be at the bottom of rounds where there is even a much lower hit rate in this crapshoot called the NFL Draft.

Now, if one still thinks highly of Goff, then it still may hurt. But, if one doesn't, getting rid of his contract is a huge plus in this deal on the Rams side.

Last edited: