What will it take to make the Stafford trade worth it in your opinion?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What will make you consider this trade a success?

• Super Bowl or bust

• Stafford in MVP contention

• Big numbers and Perennial Pro Bowler

• Just Outplay Goff

• Other (mention in comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Obviously, I don't think I'm taking a silly stance.

The day the Rams made the trade it was the right move IMHO. This is based on what I know and have seen of both Goff and Stafford.
I have to go by the available information I have. So it's not a blind opinion. The Rams nor I have the availability of hindsight.
I just hope it wasn't an impulse/ panicked buy so to speak.

A week or so earlier you lose to your best friend and his star vet QB so now you rush to go get your star vet QB.

Even though that team had a bye and your QB was coming off thumb surgery, and not to mention your best Def player was less than 60%... Despite all that it was a one score game with 6 minutes left.

Yet, you throw away two #1's, a 3rd, and your 26 yr old QB who won a ton of games.

So yes, Stafford has to accomplish a lot too make this trade worth it.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
My answer is that he plays better than Goff.

I believe Stafford is superior to our previous QB
Which gives us a better chance to win the SB and that in itself makes the trade ALREADY worth it.

But in order to win a SB it takes more than good QB play. Does Brady win the Super Bowl without
that Tampa defense forcing Mahomes into having the worst game of his entire season?

I guess what i'm saying is I do not buy into putting the entire weight of success on the QB.
Fortunately for us we have all the necessary tools to give Stafford a very good shot at winning it all.

The one area were we HAVE to improve tremendously is ST's
I have seen a lot of playoff games that were decided by a huge return or forced fumble on recover teams.
I think McVay now sees the light, which seems to be put on the back burner by Offensive HC's
More so than Defensive minded HC'S.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
I don't soley see this from the Team point-of-view.

Stafford is certainly a major key for the Rams' success; and they absolutely made the trade with aspirations for a Super Bowl Championship. However, it's not ALL on the QB's shoulders.

Stafford could be great, and the Rams might not sniff the Super Bowl. Hell, they just lost a key player, and Training Camp has not even started.

If Stafford plays like one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL, the trade was worth it in my opinion.

If Stafford plays like an elite-QB, the Rams SHOULD be very good ... maybe great ... but the overall Team-success will require a lot more than just elite-play from the Game's most important position.

The best QB in the NFL looked pretty ordinary without his starting OTs against a quality pass-rush/defense in the Super Bowl.
Awesome Post. I posted something similar but you articulated my point of view way better than I did.:trophy::beer2::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
On a side note, I think what also needs to be factored in is the players Detroit ends up with with the 2-1st round and 3rd round pick.
The Rams win the SB and those picks all bust, its a no brainer. The Rams dont win the SB and Detroit ends up with a couple pro bowler's? That surely muddies the waters
Absolutely. And the fact that those picks will be very low first round picks will make it even more difficult
for Detroit.
This whole trade is so much more that the SB or bust Mantra

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, to say that the Rams have to make the Super Bowl because of this trade suggests to me one would have to believe that to be the likely outcome if the trade hadn't occurred.

In other words, wouldn't the thought process have to be that they can't make that trade and not make the Super Bowl, because they were going to the Super Bowl with Goff and those draft choices?:thinking:

Last edited:

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Not at all. I have 0 doubt McVay put in the work to make the decision.
If it seemed rushed to you it was because several teams wanted Stafford and
if we were to get him we had to move quickly.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I meant Superbowl or bust but submitted perennial probowler on accident because I'm kinda smashed

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You gave up two late 1's for Ramsey and a 4th for a 25 yr old shut down CB who was the best at his position.

Here we traded a 26 yr old Goff, two 1st's, and a 3rd for a 33 yr old QB who might be the 6th or 7th best QB.

That 2nd trade was more desperate and speaks all in now.

In both trades we gave up two firsts and a midround pick - it's very likely that we gave up what will be more draft compensation for Ramsey than we did Stafford.

The 10th best QB (low end of the opinion of Stafford here) is worth faaaaaaaaar more than the best CB in the NFL. More than a Jared Goff IMO.

And the age for a QB doesn't mean much. It's possible that Stafford and Ramsey exit their respective primes at the same time.

What this really comes down to are people's opinions on Goff and Stafford - because griping about the draft compensation makes little sense unless you griped about it for Ramsey, particularly when the Jags got pick 20 and 25 which are both going to likely end up being higher than what the Lions get.

To me neither move was desperate, and I think the Stafford trade was better and will be more impactful.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
roger dorn GIF

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, to say that the Rams have to make the Super Bowl because of this trade suggests to me one would have to believe that to be the likely outcome if the trade hadn't occurred.

In other words, wouldn't the thought process have to be that they can't make that trade and not make the Super Bowl, because they were going to the Super Bowl with Goff and those draft choices?:thinking:

No, what happened is Mcvay thought he couldn't win the superbowl with Goff and traded big to get a qb he thought he could win a superbowl with moving forward.

Thus if they don't win the superbowl then the trade was a failure. We don't know what would happen with Goff and those 2 1sts and 1 3rd. We don't know if Goff would have improved with more seasoning.

All we will know is what the Rams do with Stafford. He was brought in to win a superbowl. The ball is in his court.

Ram65

Legend

Not at all. I have 0 doubt McVay put in the work to make the decision.
If it seemed rushed to you it was because several teams wanted Stafford and
if we were to get him we had to move quickly.
+1 McVay and Snead were on top of this. I think McVay lost confidence in Goff as early as the Dolphins game.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

A week or so earlier you lose to your best friend and his star vet QB so now you rush to go get your star vet QB.

Even though that team had a bye and your QB was coming off thumb surgery, and not to mention your best Def player was less than 60%... Despite all that it was a one score game with 6 minutes left.

Yet, you throw away two #1's, a 3rd, and your 26 yr old QB who won a ton of games.

So yes, Stafford has to accomplish a lot too make this trade worth it.

Well, we know it wasn't an impulse buy because McVay was frustrated enough with Goff after the Dolphins and Niner games to, per reports, make next year an open competition between Goff and Wolford (prior to the Stafford trade).

That tells you all you need to know.

Memphis Ram

Legend
No, what happened is Mcvay thought he couldn't win the superbowl with Goff and traded big to get a qb he thought he could win a superbowl with moving forward.

Thus if they don't win the superbowl then the trade was a failure. We don't know what would happen with Goff and those 2 1sts and 1 3rd. We don't know if Goff would have improved with more seasoning.

All we will know is what the Rams do with Stafford. He was brought in to win a superbowl. The ball is in his court.

Seems to me that would make every single transaction made a failure if they don't win a Super Bowl as I doubt the team would draft, trade for, or pick up too many, if any players, McVay doesn't believe will get him to that ultimate goal. Not just this trade.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Umm…. No. The Rams proved they could win playoff games and make the Super Bowl with the previous QB, and that wasn’t good enough.
Why would a Stafford supporter disagree with that?
I won’t

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems to me that would make every single transaction made a failure if they don't win a Super Bowl.

That is the ultimate goal, but somehow that just doesn't set right with me.

Not necessarily. Teams are always trying to get better but this particular move was made to get a superbowl win. Mcvay and Snead stated as much.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Umm…. No. The Rams proved they could win playoff games and make the Super Bowl with the previous QB, and that wasn’t good enough.
Why would a Stafford supporter disagree with that?
I won’t

That's nice, but each season, team, and their circumstances are different. Success in one season doesn't guarantee success in another.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Super Bowl or bust.

And shocker, the thread turns into another Goff hate thread. (n)

The Rams have been Super Bowl or bust for three consecutive years now, and all three were a disappointment.

In that span you had the following moves that fell under the "Super Bowl or bust" label:

Trade for Cooks
Trade for Peters
Trading Quinn
Letting Saffold walk
Trade for Ramsey
Trade for Fowler

Yet few if any of these moves sparked this type of thread. The Ramsey move in particular, where we gave up what will likely be more draft capital, is especially damning. If it makes people who didn't like the trade feel better by saying Super Bowl or bust - cool. Welcome to the mindset most of us had to begin with I guess. A little confused as to why the expectations weren't up there to begin with, but to each their own.

When you're a true Super Bowl contender like we have been for the past few years, the season is an automatic fail if you don't win it. Every move from that off-season to get you to that goal was a fail for that season. If you eventually win a Super Bowl because of those moves, all is well.

So if that's the case for every move, makes more sense to identify something more specific to measure by. At the end of the day, Stafford could have the best QB season and NFL history and we could still lose because he doesn't play defense.

Of course this was a fail if we don't win it all. Keeping Goff also would have been a fail if we didn't end up winning it all. Re-signing Floyd is another one that could end up being a fail.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not necessarily. Teams are always trying to get better but this particular move was made to get a superbowl win. Mcvay and Snead stated as much.

Just curious - what move do you think they've made to NOT get a Superbowl win?

Let's say they kept Goff and didn't make the trade and a reporter asked what the goal was for the season - do you think they would have said anything other than "win the Superbowl"?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every year the goal is to win the Super Bowl regardless of what the team did the previous year or any trades/draft picks they made in the off season. Funny watching people try to walk back that expectation that they've had for years. It's also pretty funny this notion that it's bad for fans to disagree with a front office. Also something that happens every year for every team in every sport. Hell I know Dodger fans that want Andrew Friedman fired lets not act like doubting somebody who hasn't won it all yet is some heinous crime against fandom.

Actually what's really funny is seeing fans now emphasize "SUPER BOWL OR BUST"....like.....have some of us not had that expectation the past few years?? It's been that way since the second we lost to Atlanta in the playoffs, every year. Whether we traded for Stafford, rolled with Goff, or went in another direction - all three decisions would be classified as "Super Bowl or bust"

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's nice, but each season, team, and their circumstances are different. Success in one season doesn't guarantee success in another.
They won a road playoff game this past season.
If the former QB was still on the team, that would be the bar for next season
That’s how it works.
Seems like you doubt Stafford can do it.
Thats sad