What Saints Fans Are Saying Before And After The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My gosh, more Saint's fans think the Rams will win than it seems a lot of Rams fans believe....:wtf:

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My gosh, Saints more Saint's fans think the Rams will win than it seems a lot of Rams fans believe....:wtf:
Well ... With there Best CB's out ... and the Speed of our WR's ... they know it will be Boom-Away for us! I expect a High scoring Game, on our part

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...-against-explosive-rams-offense-kenny-vaccaro

Thin Saints Defense Looks for Big Efforts from "Next Man Up" Against Explosive Rams Offense
Can New Orleans overcome injuries to key players to contain the Rams offensive attack?
by BobRose

626148372.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images

The New Orleans Saints are looking to extend their winning streak to nine games, and remain in control of the NFC South division. To do so, they will have to overcome numerous key injuries on the defensive side of the ball, and on the road, against the NFC West leading Los Angeles Rams.

Let's have a look at how the New Orleans defense matches up against a balanced Rams offense.

Saints pass defense vs. Rams pass offense

626140538.jpg.jpg

Photo by Sean Gardner/Getty Images

New Orleans struggled mightily against Kirk Cousins and the Redskins a week ago, giving up 322 passing yards and 3 touchdowns. The Saints stepped up late, however, shoring up coverage and getting a late sack to help snuff out a Washington drive.

The Saints were without injured linebacker A.J. Klein and safety Kenny Vaccaro in their starting lineup, and lost star rookie cornerback Marshon Lattimore on the first drive of the game to an ankle injury. Klein and Vaccaro look like good bets to play against Los Angeles, but Lattimore has been ruled out, as has fellow cornerback Ken Crawley, with an oblique injury.

In addition, New Orleans lost defensive end Alex Okafor for the season to a torn Achilles tendon. Okafor had brought an improved pass rushing presence opposite Cam Jordan, and the Saints will look to replace him with rookie 3rd round pick Trey Hendrickson and Hau'oli Kikaha on the edge, and hope to get improved pass rush production from defensive tackles Sheldon Rankins and David Onyemata.

Jordan leads an improved Saints pass rush with 8 sacks so far this year, and the defense has sacked opposing quarterbacks 27 times, Hendrickson and Kikaha combining for five takedowns. New Orleans began this winning streak as a blitz heavy team, but have reduced that slightly over the last few weeks. They may rethink that strategy, given the loss of Okafor and the fact that they are facing an inexperienced 2nd year quarterback in the Rams Jared Goff.

Vaccaro's 3 interceptions leads the team, which has 10 interceptions on the season, but the absence of Lattimore and Crawley is a heavy burden. Lattimore in particular had already blossomed into a magnificent shutdown corner, and among the favorites for defensive rookie of the year.

New Orleans will look to P.J. Williams and the recently re-signed Sterling Moore for primary coverage duties at cornerback. Williams has been inconsistent this season, and struggled against Washington wideouts, but has the physical ability to provide solid coverage.

Moore brings experience, knowledge of the defensive system, and played well for the Saints in spots year ago. Recent signee Dexter McDougle brings decent experience from a 3-yr. career with the New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles, and could compete for snaps with the struggling De'vante Harris. Safeties Vonn Bell and Marcus Williams have each been inconsistent at times this season, but the Saints trio of Vaccaro, Bell, and Williams are athletic and versatile.

Los Angeles retooled their 31st ranked passing game from a year ago under coach Sean McVay, and now rank 9th at 255 yards per game. Jared Goff has played at times like last year's first overall pick, throwing for 2,610 yards and 16 scores with only 4 interceptions. While the Saints are dealing with injury issues on the defensive side of the ball, the Rams have an injury problem of their own offensively.

Wide receiver Robert Woods is expected to miss multiple weeks with a shoulder injury. Woods was the Rams leading receiver, with 47 catches for 703 yards. Cooper Kupp (38 receptions, 481 yards and 3 scores) has been a solid compliment, and has the confidence of his quarterback, but Los Angeles is expecting former 1st round picks Sammy Watkins and Tavon Austin to step up their level of play.

Neither Austin, the 8th overall selection in the 1st round of the 2013 draft by the (St. Louis) Rams or Watkins, the 4th overall pick by the Buffalo Bills in 2014, have ever lived up to expectation. Watkins has had some moments since being obtained by the Rams in a preseason trade, producing 408 receiving yards and tying for the team lead with four touchdown receptions.

Los Angeles tight ends Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett produce little, combining for just 27 receptions, but help bolster a Rams offensive line that has allowed only 15 sacks.

Saints run defense vs. Rams run offense

626167548.jpg.jpg

Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

The Saints rush defense ranks 20th in the league, and the loss of Okafor may be a bigger loss in defending the run than in the pass rush. New Orleans struggled against Washington running back Samaje Perine last week, allowing him to run for 117 yards and a score. Perine was the fourth back to break 100 yards rushing against New Orleans, and the Saints have consistently given up one or two big gains on the ground per contest, particularly early in games.

Vonn Bell has played the run well from his safety position, and linebackers Craig Robertsonand Manti Te'o pursue well sideline to sideline, but Klein and Vaccaro's return to the lineup will bolster the run defense. Defensive tackles Rankins and Onyemata must be disruptive inside, and tie up multiple blockers to allow the Saints linebackers and safeties to close gaps and cutback lanes.

Los Angeles running back Todd Gurley is their feature back, and has run for 791 yards and 8 touchdowns for the Rams' 9th ranked rushing attack. The explosive third year back has rushed for 100 yards in four games, and is tied with Mark Ingram for the league lead in rushing touchdowns. Tavon Austin is often used on misdirection out of the backfield, and is quick enough to make a defense pay for overpursuit and poor angles. He has the second most rush yards on the team, with 171 yards.

What to Look For
Although the Saints came up with some big plays down the stretch against the Redskins, the defense had its worst overall performance since week two. The biggest questions and challenges are how well they can perform without Lattimore, Okafor, and Crawley.

When these teams played last season, a 49-21 New Orleans victory, the Rams were limited to just 69 yards rushing and rookie quarterback Goff was sacked 3 times. Los Angeles has improved balance this time around, and will be a challenge for a battered Saints defense.

New Orleans must contain Gurley, and shut off cutback lanes against the Rams talented runner to limit big plays. The suddenly shorthanded secondary will likely need a big performance from it's safeties, and must be able to apply pressure on Jared Goff, hopefully forcing the 2nd year quarterback into rushing his reads and turnovers.
----------
EXPLOSIVE
Do you mean they score points in bunches?

Big yardage plays are their forte?

2nd straight post with "explosive" as the adjective…just trying to figure it out.
----------
Elias seems to define explosive as in...
Big yardage plays are their forte.
----------
I doubt he means their plays are always getting blown up
But maybe we can help redefine it for them this weekend
----------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...in-kamara-todd-gurley-jared-goff-dennis-allen

Keys to Success: Saints must dodge Rams explosive plays to have a chance
If the Saints can’t clean up their communication issues, the Rams downfield attack will cause major trouble for an injured defense.
by ElliasJWilliams

Last week, after having it mentioned by Charley Casserly, the Saints put on tape that they don’t play the deep ball well. Saints gave up plays of (32, 36, and 40) through the air versus the Redskins.

The Los Angeles Rams are ranked 4th in the league with 40 plays of 20+ yards and T-2nd in the league with 9 plays of 40+ yards.

Asshole Face, while thrilled with the victory, was also quick to dampen the enthusiasm following the win.

There’s a lot of things we’ve got to get cleaned up. There’s no victory tomorrow. We will be in tomorrow and you guys will be able to get your interviews on time. Every one of them. That’s just how it is going to be.”

He also went on to say:

I think the time of possession favored Washington. Credit them. I thought they did a really good job on run and play action. They had good balance. They caught us in some man coverages and had a good plan. It was probably a combination of a lot of those things.

I think he knew Sean McVay and this Rams team present similar problems as last week’s game, but with a generational running back toting the ball for them. McVay has an understanding of play-calling that puts him up there with the Gruden’s and Payton’s as it pertains to feel.

Adding to that Jared Goff is also a legitimate QB at the LOS. He checks from run to pass, changes routes, and protection schemes based on what he sees and gets his team into positions to be successful.

However, that’s also where his weakness lies. He simply hasn’t played enough football to have answers for everything, so forcing him to pass the ball to win is what defenses want.

To protect themselves from the downfield shots and get a victory, the Saints will need to clean up their communication issues in the secondary and focus on these three Keys to Success.

Opening Drive

Coming out the gate hot can have a number of positive effects on getting this win. I think entering this game if you can get the opening kickoff and go down for a score, you can eliminate or slow some things early.

People asked where the Saints run game was last week, and truth was going down early took it out of the plans, and they weren’t able to go back to it till they got closer. Going up 7-0 on the first drive of the game can put pressure on the Rams from the onset making the second key a lot easier.

Red Octagon Todd Gurley

usa_today_10425063.jpg

Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports

“We stopped the run. At the end of the day I feel like they are based off the bootleg and the run,” said Vikings defensive tackle Linval Joseph. “If you stop the run, then you stop the bootleg. You pretty much have them bottled up."

While the Saints could get away with giving up 150 yards on the ground to the Redskins last week and still get a victory, that will not be the case against the Rams. They must stop Todd Gurley and keep him from getting to the 2nd and 3rd levels of the defense where his speed, and our lack of, will allow him to erase angles. Allowing the running game to remain in play will also keep the crowd in it which brings its own issues that wouldn’t be the case in a home game.

Don’t allow Aaron Donald to wreck the game

usa_today_10377415.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The quickest way to rattle Drew Brees and get the Saints offense out of rhythm is to get pressure in his face. I am expecting an aggressive game plan from the Saints similar to what Washington did last week that forces the Rams to give up on the run game by scoring quickly. In other words, we are going to need a good day from Brees, and you can’t have Donald compromising that with quick interior pressure.

Player to Watch vs. Rams - Willie Snead, WR

I’m putting Snead here because after getting only his 2nd catch of the season and also seeing Fleener take a break from endorsing the back of milk cartons - I feel as though this week is his week. It also doesn’t hurt that the Rams NB situation isn’t particularly good with Nickell Robey-Coleman suffering an injury last week and possibly not able to play this game.

In fact after last weeks injuries it left the Rams with only 2 DBs causing them to be extra cautious. If there’s an area to attack on this defense, it’s their 3rd CB, and I’d like to think #83 is better than who they’d have covering him.

Random Thought I: We don’t need to sign a DE until Trey Hendrickson & Hau’oli Kikaha prove the cannot fulfill their job duties. I also think the Rams being an 11 personnel (1RB, 1TE, 3WR) team makes the decision to go with those two a little easier.

Random Thought II: Holding Marshon Lattimore out this week makes sense to me. It’s an ankle, which can be aggravated easily, and he’s important to our future success. They don’t have a Go To receiver, and stopping Gurley basically halts their offense.

When we played the Bears, Asshole Face talked about how those early points were significant in the team’s victory as it put Chicago behind the 8 ball. I feel this is a game we must come out attacking so that we can take Gurley and the crowd out of the game early and make Goff win it with his arm.

The Redskins had a similar plan vs. us last week, but Drew can actually win the game in the end, and I don’t think Goff is that guy just yet. Join Rev and myself on the Who Dat Confessional right after the game and we’ll get you caught up on the Saints 9th straight victory.

My Prediction: The game ends with a Drew Brees kneel to the tune of 28-17.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys see this yet? Michael Rapaport inside the Rams' house, trying to motivate the Saints on to a win against the Rams. WTF?! Not cool at all!! I hope he jinxed them big time!!! This vid should be shown to the Rams before the game.....GO RAMS!!!

View: https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/934538114902536192

Nothing wrong with that. I think the best part of it was nobody wanting to raise their hand when he said, "Who's checking Aaron Donald tomorrow?" :LOL:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/...t-tomorrows-game-vs-rams-376615/#.WhrV-EqnE2w

What's your gut feeling about tomorrow's game vs. the Rams

I'm thinking that it will be a roller coaster. But if we keep it close in the first half, we'll pull it out in the 2nd half.

Zero or plus turnover ratio... and I like the Saints' chances in this one.
----------
My gut feeling is the corners surprise a lot of people and play well. Saints win in pretty dominant fashion. Similar to the Carolina game, but maybe give up a few more points.
----------
I hope you're right but my feeling is that we get shredded in the secondary. We are a different team without Lattimore. And unfortunately until this week we haven't had the misfortune to also be without our other top cover corner...and our other pass rusher. I think the DE void can be filled. I don't think the corners can.
-----------
L

Too many injuries and we always struggle with QBs who can make plays out of the pocket.
-----------
I'm hoping a win...But, our defense is banged up right now...
----------
I think it will be a close game in the high 20s. 31-27 Saints win.
----------
I fear that subconsciously the “if we are losing 1 out of the next 3 it’s better against the Rams than against a division opponent “ will get to us. I see the team starting slow and falling behind early
----------
I truly believe in my heart of hearts that, New Orleans can beat the Rams by simply not turning the ball over.

Also

We need to run the ball heavy in the 2nd half. The VERY LARGE Rams defensive front tires as we saw in the Minnesota game. I'm not going to freak if we lose either. The Saints are going to be in the thick of it in, the post-season.
---------
If this year is going to repeat similar to 2009, this game would come down to the last possession, and Rams would fail short. We will ride with the offense again to win this game.
---------
Wild West shootout.
---------
Gut feeling is the Saints outclass the Rams.
----------
I think we run all over the Rams.
---------
I knew last weeks game would be tough. We had some things go our way and pulled it out. I’m still a little hesitant to buy too much stock but this game would make a believer. Not that I don’t think we are good and playoff caliber, but beating the Rams will solidify the idea that we are legit SB contenders. This is a big game and tough opponent. If we win convincingly, look out
----------
Simply because our O-line is better and CSP is a better play caller. We win TOP by 5 to 10 minutes.
Their D wears out by the end of the 4th.
---------
This is going to be a tough one, I think. Hopefully I am pleasantly surprised. But on the road, west coast trip, 2 starting corners out, a good Rams team coming off of tough road loss, big division games coming up. Sounds like a recipe for a very tough game.
---------
A loss that I won’t be ashamed of. The Rams are going to out gun us in a shootout that won’t really be close. 46-35 Rams.
----------
Rams encounter superior force early and go through the whole game completely stunned. Gut reaction. Oh yeah and lots of rams get injured.
---------
2+ score differential. Not sure who wins.
----------
We always have that one game where neither the offense nor defense shows up. I think it'll be this one. The Rams won't have to do much to win in convincing fashion.
---------
48-38 Saints.....Drew goes 30-35, 415 yards, 5 tds.
---------
I just pray Hakim drops the ball again.
---------
Run the ball. Screen the ball
Pressure Goff and help out the new cb's
Win turnover battle
Shut down Gurley

Saints win if this happens
---------
I'm really concerned about the loss of Lattimore and Crawley. Defense is gonna be like 2014-16 without them. Alvin/Ingram are gonna have to fly and Drew needs to air it out.
---------
Really no idea.

Could be a shootout. Ball could bounce our way on turnovers from Rams.

Or it could be one of those games that we just lay an egg, though we usually do that against poor or mediocre teams and give a good showing against better teams.

Just have to see how it unfolds.

Capable of winning soundly or having one that gets away from the team. Every game has its own story.
---------
Based on running game: Saints Win
Based on passing game: Saints Win

Based on running D: Saints Slight Adv
Based on passing D: Rams Slight Adv

Biased, I mean based ;D what I think we got this game in a shootout. I'm hoping our D pulls through late in the game.
-----------
Like others, I'm worried about the loss of Lattimore. He was not only shutting his man down,he was taking half the field out of play.
---------
Don't know about my "gut" feeling. I guess maybe, "anxious"? I do think we win this one. There's a lot on the line.

For those saying it would be okay if we lose this game, I disagree. It's pivotal for the Rams and us. They are 1 game ahead of the Seahawks who play the 49ers today. They lose, it's highly likely they'll be tied for 1st place in the west.

If we don't win, it's just as likely that the Panthers catch us and the Falcons move to within a game of us. The Panthers play the Jets and the Falcons play the Bucs.

Neither team has the cushion that the Eagles or the vikings have in their division. And just like we're nipping at their heels for a 1st or 2nd seed, there are teams in position to take our place as a 3rd or 4th seed, making us a road team throughout the playoffs.

My gut tells me that we need to find a way to win today.
-----------
Every time I think it’s going to be a high scoring game the exact opposite happens. Both teams will be challenged to score points. Saints under Brees and Payton historically play pretty well on the West Coast. Rams kick a late FG to go up 16-10 after a defense stop inside the ten yard line. Brees directs a late TD drive with a pass to Coleman in the back of the end zone with 6 seconds remaining and Lutz adds the extra point. 17-16 good guys.
------------
I would be surprised if this isn't a shootout. I just hope we have the ball last.
----------
rams will quit at the half, sean takes the team to disneyland for a few hours.
-----------
I bet it starts out ugly with coverage break downs keeping it close until the second half, but in the end we'll win 34-20. I really don't think the Rams are that good if you shut down the running game.
----------
I feel like I do for every game...

swtn.gif

----------
Saints win a shootout 42-40 on a last second FG. Kamara/Ingam run wild combining for almost 400 yards of total offense. Brees fumbles on a sack. Kamara fumbles twice. Goff gets intercepted twice.
-----------
I'm always nervous we'll drop THAT ball.
I'm always nervous we'll fumble at THAT time.
I'm always nervous that guy will break the long one at THAT time.
I'm always nervous we'll draw that penalty at THAT time.

I lost all that for a bit but it's back because we just cannot let up even a little. We are in control but it'd be nice to have a little "help" by the other teams in our division wavering a bit. And I haven't even started worrying about "seeding" yet.
----------
I believe that if the DEs stay in their gaps and don't bite on the fake sweeps and watch for Goff (?) on the fake roll out and keep him in the pocket we can win easily
-----------
If we keep it close and don’t turn it over we will gut out another victory. This is not a team in which we can afford to give up a big lead early and hope to come back on. It simply won’t happen on the road. I’m hoping for some turnovers bouncing our way and our lightning and thunder stable of RBs to control this one.
----------
Either the D steps up and picks off Goff or causes a bunch of turnovers or we lose.

We have to face reality with Lattimore. Yes he is an all pro corner, but he is only worth the games he is on the field. Hope he is back soon.
----------
I’m an eternal optimist. Ingram + Kamara help the Saints control the ball for 35:00+ minutes.

Saints win 27-20.
----------
Hopeful but I think the injuries on defense will be too much to overcome. If we are able to run effectively for the games entirety then we will be in good shape.

Gut is we lose this one.
----------
I don't see why Ingram and Kamara can't put up another 100+100 rushing game against this defense.
---------
A loss. 9 wins in a row is hard enough without the injuries to the CB position. I won't be surprised if they win, but my gut tells me a loss.
----------
I don't believe the Saints will win out. I hope they do and it's not impossible but unlikely. This feels like a game they can lose. With defensive injuries at key positions, having to travel west and the Rams needing this game to keep pace in their division and in the overall playoff standings, I would lean to a Saints lose today. It wouldn't surprise me if they won though, the Rams are certainly beatable.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I get the impression that quite a few Saints fans:

1. Think our passing game is no threat without Woods...I Think they're wrong, especially with their top 2 corners out (I think they're both out)...

2. See this game as less important to their playoff hopes if they happen to lose today..I know their players and coaches don't share that opinion..

I Think they have to increase Gurley's load but also attack their secondary with some steady short to intermediate stuff through the air...Their replacement secondary might well be giving some cushion as to not give up the big play to Watson or Everett/ Cupp/whoever gets the rest Of Woods targets...

The Rams absolutely have to do a better job against their running game, both to slow it down, but also to keep Brees from airing it out with play action if the running game is clicking...(Obviously he is deadly when he gets to work unpressured)...

Gurley, Goff, run defense and no turnovers, in no specific order = Rams W...Of course Captain Obvious realizes that's true every week...I just think this is a really important game for the Rams...

jap

Legend
Lol i said the same thing about the Viking fan base as well. Granted they beat us and i give them credit. But a major reason why the vikings won that game was due to the fact or starting secondary got hurt. And they exploited it. Also we gave up on the run. If your playing a good defense you can't become one dimensional. Thats actually what we did.

Agreed! It has become an unfortunate tendency of Sean to abandon the run when the Rams fall behind, and he needs to nip that tendency as it's budding. If one looks at Todd's rookie season, the Rams would pound the opposing D with the Gurley Express! for three quarters and by the fourth they were so worn down they had severe problems containing Todd's muscular energy and were too gassed to stop Tavon's Warp V speed.

A healthy Horns squad who minimizes mistakes should beat a similar healthy Minny team more often than not.

jap

Legend
Feed Gurley the rock. We can run on this team. That will give us the play-action deep shots.

The Gurley Man has yet to really break out like we all know he can this season. You can't really plan for a 200- or 300-yard rushing effort, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing the Gurley Express! eclipse the 1000-yard mark in this game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The main theme for Saints fans seems to be that (1)the Rams O-line was holding on every play (2)they shouldn't have abandoned the running game and instead should have given Kamara the ball on every play (3)the play calling by Sean"No I didn't just bite into a lemon"Payton was horrible (4)Brees was running for his life (5)the refs suck
*************************************************************************************
https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/...oach-payton-new-one-game-376673/#.WhtxYkqnE2w

I Hope the Local Media rips Coach Payton a New One for this game

Horrible playcalling...Youre at the goaline and you dont run a jetsweep,toss,nothing to kamara, you barely run the ball, you go for a fg on that 4th down, you keep harris in after repeatedly getting torched, communication issues, tackling issues...wtf were they doing this week...Coach has to remember that this is a week to week responsibility. This **** cant fly
--------
Kicking that FG was the equivalent of quitting.
----------
Bad game plan by Payton. Should have been run-centered. Really a no brainer. Don't know if he once again out thunk himself, or got cute, or what. We also didn't run as much as we should have in the first half against the Redskins. We destroy Buffalo with the run then back off it the next two games. Makes no sense.
----------
Receivers gained no separation, Vaccaro was horrible, stupid penalties. A lot lies on the players this game more so than the coaches.
----------
The playcalling in general was very questionable IMO. Kamara was a disease the Rams had no medicine for, but at times, it was if Payton was trying to appease Ingram just so he would not throw one of his temper tantrums. Kamara is the Saints #1 back and is one of the top freaking RB’s in the entire NFL! Payton and co. need to sit Ingram down and enlighten him, by telling him to be happy playing behind one of the best backs in the NFL. Quit trying to baby him.
------------
The timeout before the half almost gave the Rams 3 points.

The fg in the 4th was simply ridiculous. Unforgivable, really.

Forcing the ball to Ingram instead of going with the hot hand in Kamara was crucial in keeping us in constant 2nd and long situations.

It was not Payton's finest hour.
----------
This loss is about 97% on coaching. You face the 28th run defense, and come out on the first drive with 100% passes. Payton got too cute and outsmarted himself into something idiotic.

Then, you see Ingram not really working great but Kamara absolutely KILLING it, and you don't feed the hot hand.

Finally, the other 3% the refs... they were terrible. This is not hyperbole but the Rams were holding on nearly every single offensive snap they had. Some times I actually saw our players getting bear-hugged.

But I still don't understand how you don't go to Kamara until they prove they could stop him. It was stupid. I am a lay person but even I understand in sports, you go with the hot hand. It was obvious your gameplan wasn't working, so go with what works.

And Brees just looked off. Like WAAAAAAY off. I think the pressure had him rattled.
----------
I don't know how Whitworth is as good as advertised.

The only way he kept Goff from getting sacked was by holding.

They missed SO many holding calls.
---------
Poor game planning by Payton. Saints needed to protect a wounded Saints defense by controlling the time of possession. He got too pass happy and wouldn't stick with the hot hand in Kamara: 11 touches for ~17 yards per touch!

How do you not feed him the ball more?

Payton getting too pass happy has always been his Achilles heel. When he saw Brees complete those 11 straight and blow right through Washington's defense at the end, I guess he got a little too cocky.
---------
I’m so tired of this. It’s not like the Rams don’t have the year in year out best DC in the league. It’s not like the Rams haven’t drafted well and are not full of talent. Goff has turned into a fine young QB. But yet no Payton sucks. Players suck. Defense sucks. WRs suck. Good lord. The other team gets paid to win games also
----------
Positives-

Cam played a very good game. He came to play.
AK- Moves like Barry Sanders that I have never seen in Black & Gold before (Sorry Reggie & Duece)
Klein- Pretty solid & overall run D pretty good.

Negatives-

Payton play calling.
WRs- No separation
Vacarro- Looked lost out there.
Harrris- The beating goes on..
Special teams - Return game coverage poor on KO & Punts
-------
Brees stunk it up today. OL stunk. Brees was running for his life and the holes that have been there all year were not there today.

D held a top Offense to less than 30 and we couldn't score. We couldn't make a 3rd down. We had stupid, stupid penalties. Brees is lucky he didn't have 5 picks today.

The Rams held so much that it was silly and no calls.

And, for what it's worth, Payton may very well have sandbagged that game just to have the opportunity to light the fire.

Next week Lattimore and Crawley will be back.

Bring on Cam and his furry pink hat.
----------
It's not play calling when Brees couldn't hit the broad side of a a barn from the inside with the doors closed. He was hurried and he was way off.
----------
The NFL is a copy cat league...Whoever beat the Rams 3 times...they copied that and tried to beat them that way...Just didn't workout how coach wanted it to..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/goff-had-eternity-376697/#.Whtz0UqnE2w

Goff had an eternity

The lack of a pass rush for the majority of the game made Goff's job pretty easy. The problem is that the job will be just as easy for Newton and Ryan if we can't find someone who can fill Okafor's shoes.

I know it would have helped if our offense could have given our D a few more minutes on the bench. And late in the game our defense was dead and couldn't get off the field. But now with our wounded offensive line, there will be a lot more pressure on the defense to stay effective in the 4th quarter.
---------
I don't think so at all.

The pass rush was as good today as it's been all year. It's the main reason that the Rams didn't score 40 actually.
---------
I thought the defense was solid vs the run and the pass rush was hit/miss. It's obvious we missed Okafor and Lattimore/Crawley. Jordan sacked Goff a few times, but there were several occasions where Goff had too much time. I'm not too worried though.

Rams are a good team and we didn't play well at all, aside from Kamara and the run defense. That we lost 20-26 playing pretty sloppy on the road shows me that the Saints should be competitive in every game this season.

While I would have liked to see Kamara get more touches, I don't want to wear him down too much, especially when we need him in the playoffs. He prolly did need 5-10 more touches though.
---------
Well. Cam Jordan felt unstoppable in this game. They got to Goff more than you think. Sure he had 300 yards passing but they only put up 26 which is actually almost a TD off from their season average and they usually drop 35+ at home. I saw Goff rush a few throws because of it.
---------
Goff was directing traffic from the pocket pointing where he wanted his receivers to go.
In the second half he had time and open receivers.

It was a bad combination.
---------
DLine played well. Cam played great. Probably talking about a few times we rushed 3, guessing for a quick throw. Goff did a good job recognizing it and had poise and took his time. Cat and mouse play calling you lose sometimes. DLine play had them behind the sticks multiple times and forces some FGs. Only reason we were hanging around the game in my opinion
---------
7 punts

That is all.

We punted 7 times.

Alone that's 49 points that could have been scored by the rams

They scored 26 points without our #1 and #2 in.. Gurley didn't have a good day at all.

We lost purely due to the offense. Sorry.
----------
I'm not saying that our offense did enough to help our defense, but those long time consuming drives by the Rams sealed this game. We had little chance with our patchwork DBs, but Goff looked very comfortable knowing his receivers would be open when he needed to keep those drives going.
-------------------------------------------
https://www.canalstreetchronicles.c...0/saints-rams-final-score-nfl-2017-lose-26-20

Saints Winning Streak Ends a Eight as they Fall to the Rams 20-26
The New Orleans Saints couldn’t find the magic for another comeback, in a 26-20 defeat to the Los Angeles Rams
by JR Ella

usa_today_10440186.0.jpg

Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Fresh off an impossible comeback win against the Washington Redskins last week, the New Orleans Saints (8-3) were trying to keep their winning streak alive by prevailing in the ninth consecutive game against the Los Angeles Rams (8-3) at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum this afternoon. More importantly, the Saints needed the win to keep pace with the NFC leaders Philadelphia Eagles (10-1) and Minnesota Vikings (9-2) as well as maintain their one-game lead over the Carolina Panthers (8-3) in the NFC South.

In the first half, the Rams showed why on paper, they have one of the best pass rushing front four in the NFL: Los Angeles sacked Drew Brees twice and limited the Saints to only 10 points. On a positive note, this was the Alvin Kamara half, as the young Saints running back had over a 100 total yards in the first two quarters, more than the entire rest of the offense.

Defensively, the Saints limited the damage by giving up only 17 points, but the secondary allowed big play after big play, highlighted by the absolutely putrid play of cornerback De’Vante Harris. The Saints either haven’t figured out that Harris simply isn’t ready for this stage, or maybe it is simply the damning admission that there is no other cornerback on the roster worthy of the second starting spot when Marshon Lattimore and Ken Crawley are out. Can we chalk up “cornerback” as a very high position of need during this upcoming offseason?

In the second half, the Saints offense couldn’t get going, scoring no points in the third quarter, while the defense stepped up, holding the Rams to only 3 points. As the fourth quarter started, the Saints found themselves down by 10 and had to resort to the same recipe that got them a win last week against Washington: Brees passing and passing again.

Unfortunately for New Orleans, the Saints offense could never do enough to help its defense as the Rams dominated the time of possession, even when electing to throw the ball well over 40 times in the game. In the end, the Rams would seal the win by the score of 20-26.

The Saints eight-game winning streak comes to an end, but the team is still tied for the lead in the NFC South at 8-3 and have a rendez-vous with their co-leaders, the Carolina Panthers next Sunday afternoon in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome to decide who will take the division’s reins going into the final quarter of the season.

The Saints goals are all still in from of them, but they have to hope that Marshon Lattimore and Ken Crawley can quickly bounce back from their injuries and that the defense can go back to limiting offenses better than they did today. Needless to say that Brees and the offense have to play much better than they did today as well.

Here’s a quarter by quarter recap of the game

1st HALF
1st Quarter
  • Saints win the toss and defer to the second half
  • Rams return the kickoff for 40 yards to their own 41-yard line
  • Rams get into Saints territory in a blink on a Goff pass to Sammy Watkins
  • Sammy Watkins catches a touchdown pass from Jared Goff
  • NO: 0 - LAR: 7
  • De’Vante Harris was guarding Watkins on the play
  • The absence of corners Marshon Lattimore and Ken Crawley is quite apparent
  • Saints start with Drew Brees finding Michael Thomas for a 24-yard pass
  • Brees gets sacked by Aaron Donald after holding on to the ball too long
  • Brees gets sacked again on 3rd and 4, fumbles but Terron Armstead recovers
  • Saints started the game with four straight passes and punt
  • Rams take over at their 18-yard line
  • A 15-yard penalty on Kenny Vaccaro gets the Rams into Saints territory
  • Rams stall and Greg Zuerlein makes a 50-yard field goal
  • NO: 0 - LAR: 10
  • Saints take over at their 25-yard line
  • Alvin Kamara runs to the right for a 74-yard touchdown! Wow!!!
  • NO: 7 - LAR: 10
  • Rams take over near their 30-yard line and go three-and-out
  • Saints take over at their 19-yard line and face a 3rd and 3 as the quarter ends
2nd Quarter
  • Saints stall and have to punt, Morstead pins the Rams to their 12-yard line
  • Rams get out of trouble on a horrendous missed tackle by De’Vante Harris
  • Rams stall and have to punt, Saints take over at their 11-yard line
  • Saints stall near their 30-yard line and punt yet again
  • Rams take the ball at their 14-yard line
  • Rams move into the Saints red zone on a long to Cooper Kupp
  • Jared Goff finds Josh Reynolds for a touchdown
  • NO: 7 - LAR: 17
  • This Saints defense is definitely hitting a wall
  • Brees finds Michael Thomas for a big third down conversion
  • Alvin Kamara takes the ball into Rams territory at the 2-minute warning
  • ALERT: Alvin Kamara is insanely AWESOME!!!
  • Saints stall on 3rd and 8 and Wil Lutz makes a 50-yard field goal
  • NO: 10 - LAR: 17
  • Rams take over at their 18-yard line with 54 seconds to go in the half
  • Rams get into Saints territory on another terrible covering effort by Harris
  • De’Vante Harris does not belong on an NFL field, yet he’s starting
  • Cam Jordan smokes Jared Goff for his second sack of the game
  • Greg Zuerlein is short on a 63-yard field goal attempt
  • At the half, Saints trail the Rams 10-17
2nd HALF
3rd Quarter
  • Saints start with the ball at their 25-yard line
  • Saints stall on 3rd and 8 and punt
  • Rams return the punt for 40 yards to the Rams 49-yard line
  • Rams stall and punt and pin the Saints to their 9-yard line
  • On 3rd and 14 from their 15-yard line, Saints stall and punt
  • Morstead pins the Rams deep
  • Rams start at their 13-yard line
  • A DPI penalty on P.J. Williams gives the Rams 48 yards into Saints territory
  • Saints defense holds and forces the Rams into a field goal try
  • Greg Zuerlein makes a 46-yard field goal
  • NO: 10 - LAR: 20
  • Terron Armstead leaves the game injured, Brees promptly gets sacked
  • On 3rd and 13, and Saints stall. Morstead is getting a workout today
  • Rams get into the Saints red zone on two pass plays
  • The Rams face a 3rd and 23 for the Saints 34-yard line as the quarter ends
4th Quarter
  • Rams stall and Greg Zuerlein makes a 49-yard field goal
  • NO: 10 - LAR: 23
  • Saints get into Rams territory, all on passing plays
  • On 4th and 5 from the Rams 38, Brees finds Kamara for a 23-yard gain
  • Saints stall in the red zone, Wil Lutz makes a 21-yard field goal
  • NO: 13 - LAR: 23
  • Rams take over at their 20-yard line
  • On a deep throw, P.J. Williams picks off Jared Goff. A lucky pick to be honest
  • But a pick is a pick and the Saints take over at their 19-yard line
  • Brees is almost picked twice and Saints go three-and-out
  • Rams take over at their 25-yard line
  • Rams get into Saints territory on a DPI on Sterling Moore
  • Rams bleed the clock down into the red zone
  • Rams stall and Greg Zuerlein makes a chip shot field goal
  • NO: 13 - LAR: 26
  • Saints take over at their 25-yard line, hoping for another miracle
  • Saints get deep into Rams territory on sideline throws
  • Brees finds Alvin Kamara for a touchdown, his second of the game
  • NO: 20 - LAR: 26
  • Saints try an onside kick and Sammy Watkins recovers for the Rams
  • Rams kneel on the ball and win the game
  • Final Score: NO: 20 - LAR: 26
--------------------------
Well, at least, they can't contend for a title very well...
If we decide not to ram the ball down the throats of a terrible run defense.
----------
The score was 26-20. The "high scoring" and "explosive" Rams offense only scored two touchdowns and both were in the first half. This was against a defense without both of its starting corners and a starting DE. And with De’Vante Harris on the field for almost 4 quarters.

On offense, Asshole Face did not call a good game. To put it mildly. The Rams rank 28th in rushing defense and the Saints rank 3rd in rushing offense and he came out slinging it. 2 passes, 2 sacks, punt, Rams ball. And he spent the whole game calling plays from behind and straight into the teeth of the Rams front seven which is their strength. And where the hell was Kamara after his fast start? The same place Ingram was last week after his fast start when he was the hot RB.

I am not troubled one bit by the loss. Asshole Face went all Asshole Face like he has done every season over his career. Even in 2009.

If we’re gonna lose, then a game with an injured defense and a Passing Game Coordinator who couldn’t get out of his own way isn’t a bad way to go. The media will be stupid enough to think that the Saints have been exposed. And maybe a few teams too.

Just remember. Our starting corners (Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter) both went down in 2009. And the Saints were viewed as tired and exposed going into the playoffs.

Meh. Relax.
----------
Thought it was a good reality check...
----------
Tough Loss
They were right to exploit the loss of both our starting CB’s.
----------
Brees miserably failed with the same opportunity…
-----------
Facing a different pass rush, I'd say
----------
3/13 on 3rd downs...
----------
stewie-full-diaper.jpg

"There’s so much doodie in here!"
------------
When on Mon or Tues Vegas had us as losing, I knew this was a bad game....
That small part of me that believes Vegas controlled sports in America just got a little bigger. I am pissed beyond the highest level of pissitivity!! With Klein & Vaccaro back, Rams STILL ran on us like it was week 1! After PJ interception we did NOT RUN with 8 mins left!!! WTF?!?! D Allen did NOT blitz using a Safety or CB!!! WTF?!?! Things we did in this game didn’t make sense. That’s all…
-----------
The refs calling every penalty
Against us and forgetting to call many against the Rams was huge either
----------
Ref's had the under in the Over/Under
They had to keep the score down somehow…both teams had over 100 yards penalized but I agree it did seem a bit one sided against the Saints.
---------
And many
Uncalled holding penalties especially against Cam
--------
Kamara was having a much better day than Ingram. LA had no answer for Kamara.
----------
It was so bad that many of us on the game thread were wondering if Kamara was injured.
-----------
They didn’t run a lot of plays and hey, they are also facing a defense here, not playing against air. I have no doubt that at times, the Rams took Kamara away by rolling coverage, and when that happens, a good QB goes elsewhere. Football is a team sport, Kamara alone wouldn’t have beaten the Rams today.
-----------
My take on the game? We looked awful
And I know a lot of you guys are going to blame this on the defense. I blame this loss on Asshole Face’s terrible play calling and lack of brass balls kicking a FG late in the game and Punting WTF?? I also blame the loss on Brees as well.

His age is showing and is looking more and more of the 2015 version of Peyton Manning. Our receiving corps is slow and cannot get any separation whatsoever. And boy our Tight Ends are terrible. It’s no wonder why can’t convert on 3rd and 2 or 3rd and managable itself.

The D didn’t play all that well, but made some plays when counted. The offense flat out sucked!

Brandin Cooks is definitely missed.
-----------
Offensively, we were just overpowered.
OL couldn’t handle Donald and Quinn and losing Armstead certainly didn’t help matters. Brees had no time to get into rhythm, Ingram couldn’t get going; the Rams won the battle up front. Simple as that.
--------
The Rams are the better team no doubt
----------
Hopefully, we will get to play the Rams again
With our cornerbacks.
------------
On a side note, I hope that the Rams DB who targeted Fleener has to mortgage his condo to pay the NFL fine..The replay was clear; he had plenty of time to ease up; instead, he redirected himself to take a helmet to helmet shot on a defenseless player. That was a super-dangerous play and it was totally avoidable.

We also had 117 yards in penalties today..including some crucial offensive holding calls. Those yards and the kickoff and punt return yards given up did not help our cause.
----------
Penalties were horrific today
The final score wasn’t even an indicator on how close it was.
-----------

View: https://twitter.com/Saints/status/934947966787264512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.canalstreetchronicles.com%2F2017%2F11%2F26%2F16702020%2Fsaints-rams-final-score-nfl-2017-lose-26-20

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The refs calling every penalty
Against us and forgetting to call many against the Rams was huge either
Is that English?

Also, you were penalized 7 times.
Rams were penalized 9 times.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, Whitworth is only good because he holds.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Do I get a pulitzer?

Nope you get a bag of dicks.

all dogs are cool

train

I'm dating a girl that has a dog that I hate. Hate. Fucking HATE.

He is annoying as hell and is all over me when I go over to her house, and he needs attention all the time. He's bitten her mother 2 times and bitten me three times. One of those times she had to get stitches from this little fucking mutt.

He's one of those yappy little things that old ladies have, I don't know the breed but he is an annoying creature.

I'm thinking about bribing a vet for some pills to chill him out. Doggy quaaludes or maybe a date rape drug.

ANYTHING to sit him still.

Plus I'm a cat guy and have a fun cat post coming up in the next day or two.

Kamara was a disease the Rams had no medicine for

The guy who said this wasn't paying ANY attention.

74 yards on one carry. 13 on the other 4.

Ingram 11 carries for 31 yards.

the RB's had 16 carries for 49 yards outside of that one play.

I think the Rams had the cure LOL.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Saint's fan said:
On a side note, I hope that the Rams DB who targeted Fleener has to mortgage his condo to pay the NFL fine..The replay was clear; he had plenty of time to ease up; instead, he redirected himself to take a helmet to helmet shot on a defenseless player. That was a super-dangerous play and it was totally avoidable.

I hate to agree with a rival fan, but I agree with this. Countess deserves a heavy fine. Also, the Saints should be punished for keeping Fleener in when he was clearly concussed.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Was the o line holding a lot? I was enjoying myself and wasn't watching that this time.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m so tired of this. It’s not like the Rams don’t have the year in year out best DC in the league. It’s not like the Rams haven’t drafted well and are not full of talent. Goff has turned into a fine young QB. But yet no Payton sucks. Players suck. Defense sucks. WRs suck. Good lord. The other team gets paid to win games also

probably the only saints fan that is in a sane state.

they're 8 and 3 and you have all these bitches whining like fucking babies. fuck off losers.

fuck i hate sports fans.

this site is like a beacon in the middle of the ocean.