What New Name Are You Slapping On That Team In DC?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Washington plans to announce retirement of 'Redskins' franchise name on Monday

The "thorough review" into Washington's team nickname that began on July 3 has concluded, and the franchise intends to announce Monday that it will retire the "Redskins" name and begin the process for choosing a new one, according to SportsBusiness Journal's Ben Fischer. The franchise has been called the "Redskins" since 1933 before it moved from Boston to Washington in 1937.

It is not known at this time what Washington will choose as its new nickname or when it will formally announce the name, but Fischer reports that Washington will not share any of that information at this time because of pending trademark issues are preventing that from occuring in a timely fashion.

Washington is planning to scrap all Native American imagery but would like to retain its original colors of burgundy and gold, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported earlier this week.

The franchise's moniker has been a controversial topic for years with Native Americans petitioning the team to change it on multiple occasions. Washington owner Daniel Snyder had long been resistant to changing the name, telling USA Today in 2013 that he would "never change the name. It's that simple. NEVER -- you can use caps."

However, after stadium naming-rights sponsor FedEx threatened less than two weeks ago that it would end its partnership with Washington, the team clearly began to feel real pressure for change, perhaps for the first time.

On Saturday night, ESPN's John Keim reported that Washington was close to having a new name "sooner rather than later," adding that Snyder apparently said he had started talking to the NFL about this decision three weeks ago.

"Warriors," a name Snyder was reportedly interested in using for an Arena Football League franchise, is believed to be among the top candidates. Recently, CBS Sports' Jared Dubin created a list of possible name options for Washington. Quarterback Dwayne Haskins is in support of "Redtails," a name that has an intriguing history as it pays tribute to planes flown by the Tuskegee Airmen, who were the first Black military aviators who served in the United States Army during World War II. Three of the first five admitted airmen were from Washington, serving as a connection to the city and the armed forces.

It will be a tall task to replace all logos, merchandise and design new uniforms before the beginning of the 2020 season if Washington indeed does plan on changing its name immediately. Over the past week, several companies have ceased selling Washington merchandise as the pressure to change the team name builds. More than ever, a name change appears to be imminent

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Question ?

say they change their name to Warriors

but still use a Indian / Native American as a mascot

is that Okay ?

Washington_Warriors.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Question ?

is that Okay ?

Washington_Warriors.jpg
Hard to see anyone having a beef with that. Not a fan of it either but it should be PC enough to please the current atmosphere.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe the Washington Enslavers? Have a plantation owner with a whip as the mascot? Good ole Charles Dickens was particularly taken with DC and it's slave auctions during his visit in 1841. Well, that and spitting tobacco juice literally everywhere but a spittoon.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm posting this agaisnt my better judgement. I don't want thread topic drift... this is about naming that turd team in DC. But... here goes.

I'm also 25% Native American. Mohawk. My Grandmother on my Dad's side was 100% Mohawk.

The name that has always irritated me is Indian. The name was given because of a mistake. The geniuses who landed here thought they had landed on the coast of India... that's why they called our Native Brothers Indians. That's stupid to me. I only use "Native American" for that reason... and it's more proper to name your Nation.

Redskin never bothered me. Just like white, black, or any other color description. The name was given as a form of pride originally... that part of the story is lost now. Redskin doesn't really properly describe our darker skin tone... but everyone knows it means Native American. The team was honoring themselves and our Ancestors with that name.

Just remember... using the name Indian to describe Native Americans is a very poor name. In a sense... it's disrespectful to the great people from India. That is their name, and their name alone. Try to use that name properly going forward.

If you are a Native American Brudda... feel free to share your side of this too if you want. There is no right or wrong way to feel about this.
I’ve always been curious about this. You are correct that “Indians” is not a proper term but neither is “Native American” since America was named after an Italian explorer and map maker. So what is the right term? What did the indigenous people of the now, United States, call their land? I should know this and am certain I surely was taught it decades ago but it’s not in the old memory banks any longer. So much for thread drift, sorry.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Question ?

is that Okay ?

Washington_Warriors.jpg

If they go with Warriors, it's going to have more of a military theme I believe.

bluecoconuts

Legend
There is a pretty long list of tribes, organizations and individuals speaking up against their name, it’s more than just a few over sensitive people somehow influencing FedEx, PepsiCo and Bank of America. Quite a few players and former players do too.

Yeah, that was my understanding, that there was a fair amount of tribal leaders just like a week ago that signed a letter saying to change it.

I think part of the issue is the fact that the team had a rather long history of being on the wrong side of history, including being the final segregation holdout, so people likely aren’t looking to give Snyder the benefit of the doubt.

But what do I know. I always thought their colors, logo, and name was stupid. The worst in the league by far in my opinion, they’ve been in need of a total top to bottom rebrand for years now.

I could give a shit less about them changing their name. I’m certainly not going to get upset over it. Getting mad that another team is changing their logo, colors, whatever is childish, call them whatever, doesn’t change the fact that they suck.

Maybe they’ll stop shoving them in our face on Thanksgiving now. Can someone do the Cowboys and Lions next? Fucking snooze.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Washington Senators, sorry if this has already been mentioned but I was not about to read six pages of this rot.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Being so far away and lacking in knowledge in Native Americans (apart from the Chief in One Flew over the Cuckoo’s next) I always thought the Redskin name was a tribute to your past rather than anything bad?

If I was to suggest a name it would be the Unwashington Dirtyskins.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"We'll NEVER CHANGE THE NAME. You can put that in CAPS" ~ Dan Snyder in 2013-ish