What Lions Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.detroitlionsforum.com/fo...the-lube-lions-to-get-ass-rammed-lar-gameweek

Break Out the Lube: Lions to get Ass Rammed. LAR Gameweek

Rams 10 point favorite. Back up the Brinks truck and give the points.
-----------
This will be a showcase of futility.
----------
If you like watching gruesome train wrecks, this one's for you.

Let the apathy flow through you.
-----------
No Marvin Jones will make this even more fun

Golladay, TJ Jones, Ellington are the starting WR;s.

Awesome

Dink and dunk all day then 5 int's and probably 5 sacks.
----------
Deepest WR corps in the league
----------
Reckon you could give the Lions a 40 point start and they'd still lose? Wonder what kind of money the bookie would give on that?
---------
Suh is going to destroy our OL. We’re up shit creek against the Rams
----------
Oh, to dream of a great play caller...

Q729

Legend
Agree on Kromer.
How about all of Belichick’s guys. How many of them flamed out terribly? While they could’ve stayed in a comfy, reliable, successfull spot.
Oh, Josh McDaniels knows exactly what you're talking about.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
These guys all seem really worried about Suh. I mean, heck, I would be, too. But, shouldn't they be a little concerned about that other guy on the line?

KCLARAM FAN

Rookie
Name
kclaram
man i cant believe some Lion fans really said all those things,that just be real,that has GOT to be made up by some beat writer JUST for entertainment.LOL

A55VA6

Legend
I've got a friend that is a Lions fan and he told me Rams are going to absolutely crush the Lions. He said it's depressing to even think about. lol I feel for him though, he's been a diehard Lions fan his entire life and has had very few moments of happiness.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lions are due for a design retooling and color scheme change. By far the ugliest unis in the game. I would lose 30% productivity and have a 40% reduction in intensity if I had to don those things. Hell, even when we were wearing the mismatched unis we still looked cooler.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I have never looked at Stafford and thought " Wish we could have gotten him." Stafford has never reminded me as a winner. I certainly wouldn't trade Goff for him, even if Stafford was the same age as Jared. *shrugs
Yeah, I wouldn't trade Goff for Stafford, even at Stafford's peak. There were definitely times in 2013 and 2014 where I wished the Rams had gotten Stafford. They were basically a playoff team with no QB. I think they might have even been able to win a game if they had made it, but the Clemens, Davis, Hill days were pretty tough to swallow.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
08276B3C-EC31-40F4-AF19-FC92AA2F3C57.jpeg

“Hey Lion fans. It’s me. Barry. We all know it’s going to be painful Sunday. The anguish. Humiliation. Trying to see through those little eyeholes you cut in the paper bag over your head.

Buck up, my friends. And when the pain gets bad and you’re left to hoping Stafford hits on some garbage-time shot down field, think of me, and smile.

Think about the times I would meet the entire Packers front seven 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage, stop on a dime, cut and run for glory in the early ‘90’s. Think of the good times.

Eh...And if that doesn’t work because you associate me now with that divorce lawyer for men? And that causes a whole ‘nother bad memory? ....uh...think of Megatron! ...uh...Lem Barney?

Ah heck, guys. Just hang in there! Cuz, we’re the Lions!”

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2018/11/wr_bruce_ellington_is_starting.html

WR Bruce Ellington is starting for the Lions without one of his hamstring muscles
By Kyle Meinke

detroit-lions-vs-carolina-panthers---november-18-2018-8afc4e6c049b6f02.jpg

Receiver Bruce Ellington has gone from the street to the Lions' starting lineup in a matter of weeks. (Mike Mulholland | MLive.com)

ALLEN PARK -- Bruce Ellington's stay in San Francisco was derailed by a hamstring injury. His stay in Houston was derailed by a hamstring injury. So he was asked this week, naturally enough, whether the hamstring is full recovered now that he's in Detroit.

And it produced a very unnatural response.

"I don't know if it's fully recovered," he said, "because they removed it. So I don't have it anymore."

Hold up. Um, what?

"It's the semitendinosus," Ellington said. "That muscle they took away."

For those without a medical degree, let me Google that for you. The semitendinosus turns out to be one of three hamstring muscles. It's located at the back of the thigh, and works to flex the knee and extend the hip.

Which, you know, seem kind of important for walking, let alone playing in the NFL. Yet here Ellington is, starting at receiver for this injury-riddled Lions offense a matter of weeks after signing here.

"I'll be all right," he said.

You can jump?

"I still can jump," he said. "I can still dunk."

You can't throw a rock in the NFL without hitting someone who can dunk. But doing it at 5-foot-9 is another matter, and doing it at 5-foot-9 without a piece of one of your hamstrings is another matter entirely.

"All vert," said Ellington, who originally enrolled at South Carolina to play basketball before moving on to football. "I got a video on my phone. I'll show it to you later."

That, he did. He also explained the story behind the missing hamstring parts.

Ellington felt something go in his left leg while returning a punt during the preseason in 2016. He looked down, and saw a ball above his knee. It was his hamstring. It had torn.

The standard treatment is to repair the hamstring in surgery, but team doctors told him his injury would likely produce scar tissue the rest of his career. That would put him at great risk for re-injury. So instead, they suggested removing the muscle all together.

"I was like, 'What?'" Ellington said. "It freaked me out."

The procedure is rare, but not without precedent. Former Texans great Andre Johnson had it done, then proceeded to post the best season of his career. So Ellington rolled with it.

It never worked out for him in San Francisco, as Chip Kelly was canned before Ellington had a chance to return to the field, then incoming coach Kyle Shanahan never gave him that chance before moving on.

He wound up in Houston last year, where he caught 29 passes for 330 yards and two touchdowns in 11 games. But the hamstring gave him some problems, then aggravated it again after three games this year. Houston put him on injured reserve, then cut him loose after four weeks.

The Lions, meanwhile opened the season well stocked at receiver. But then they traded top wideout Golden Taint to Philadelphia last month, which left a major void at the position. So they signed Ellington to join the committee trying to replace Taint -- and then they lost Marvin Jones to an injury too, ending his season.

So Ellington went from his couch in Houston on Nov. 5, to signed by the Lions on Nov. 6, to the Lions' starting lineup on Nov. 18. He caught six passes for 52 yards in a win against Carolina that day, then another six passes for 28 yards in the Thanksgiving loss against Chicago.

He barely came off the field that day, playing 81.8 percent of the offensive snaps. He's effectively become the Lions' No. 2 receiver because of the glut of turnover and lack of productivity at the position, where just Kenny Golladay is left from the opening day starting lineup.

And Ellington is embracing that opportunity, missing body parts and all.

"Definitely a guy that has made the most of his opportunity and produced," Lions coach Matt Patricia said. "We'll just keep going that way with it. I think he's done a good job. He's still obviously learning a lot about our offense and a lot about what we do, so it's all a little bit new to him, but we expect that to continue to grow and hopefully we can keep getting the production that we've seen.

"That's a great example of a guy right there that has an opportunity to step in and do something, and is able to do it."
------------------
Great. Well, maybe the Lions can compete in the Special Olympics then?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Lions are due for a design retooling and color scheme change. By far the ugliest unis in the game. I would lose 30% productivity and have a 40% reduction in intensity if I had to don those things. Hell, even when we were wearing the mismatched unis we still looked cooler.
I dont care for them, but I think the Broncos are worse.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
If I had to pick 2 reasons why this game could be concerning, it would be:
1) the lions have also had a long time to prepare for this game. There HC is defensive minded and has guided the lions to impressive upsets over offensive teams (cheatriots, pack, panthers).
2) the start time is new and requires adjustment.

Now if I was a diehard lions fan, that's where I'd hang my hat.

Honestly, I'm still suffering from fisher syndrome in that a I fear a lack of preparation and therefore getting smacked in the mouth early and never recovering.
A few more wins under the current regime oughta fix that.

I bought down the game to 9 (on my service) and bet my penis enlargement op $$. If we win, I'll be swanging!

Q729

Legend

I dont care for them, but I think the Broncos are worse.

I don't mind their color scheme. They just need to go back to the uniforms they had when Barry Sanders, Bennie Blades, Rodney Peete, etc. were there.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.detroitlionsforum.com/fo...the-lube-lions-to-get-ass-rammed-lar-gameweek

Not too concerned about Suh, it's Donald that is going to be the big problem. He might beat the ball back to Stafford.
-------------
I told KC fans leading up to the LAMBS game that a KC O'lineman might die on the field that Monday night. No one did but they may as well have with the way they got manhandled primarily by Donald. Fowler, Brockers and Suh were also living in the backfield. They are a handful for certain.
---------------
http://www.lionsredzone.com/threads/next-up-the-los-angeles-rams-gulp.6978/

Next up....The Los Angeles Rams.....Gulp!!!

This matchup will truly expose the meager talents being put on the field by the Detroit Lions Football Organization. The schedule we faced this year truly exposes our lack of credible NFL caliber players. I thought we might beat Arizona and Buffalo. But those teams might even beat us. Best scenario 6-10, could be 4-12.

We beat New England fair and square. Green Bay was a gift from their Kicker, Carolina was a gift from their Coach. I'm pretty sure they would have beat us in O.T.But a gift is a gift. Miami was a victory. So we will clearly see what is needed to compete against the elite.
--------------
Rams 42
Lions 10
-------------
55-17 Your next Superbowl champions L.A. Rams
--------------
https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2018...offense-stats-matthew-stafford-jim-bob-cooter

The Detroit Lions’ long-ball offense is dead
Matthew Stafford has a cannon arm and the Lions seem content not using it.
By Jeremy Reisman

Throw a rock into the cauldron of 2018 NFL takes and you’ll hit 30 different opinions talking about THE FUTURE OF THE NFL and how dynamic passing attacks are taking over the league and head coaches like Sean McVay and Matt Nagy hold the key to success in their hands.

Although I think all of these macro proclamations are premature—strategy moves fast and teams adjust—it’s hard not to get hypnotized by 54-51 final scores and statlines that include nearly 500 yards of passing and six touchdowns.

Heading into 2018, it felt like the Detroit Lions may join this new era of explosive offenses. Just look at the headlines from late last year:

The Detroit Lions own the best deep passing game in the NFL

Alex Smith, Matthew Stafford head top deep-ball throwers of ‘17

Most accurate deep ball passers in 2017 (Stafford 6th)

Last season, Matthew Stafford and the Lions offense were responsible for the most 40+ yards plays through the air—three more than the Rams, two more than the Chiefs. Their yards per attempt (7.8) ranked fourth overall and kept pace with the Saints (8.1), Chiefs (8.0) and Rams (7.8). They were the only team to have two wide receivers with 1,000 yards and Stafford threw more passing touchdowns than all but three NFL quarterbacks.

But those days are over. The Lions’ deep ball attack is dead. Kaput. Over.

View: https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1067419717512675328?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1067419717512675328&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.prideofdetroit.com%2F2018%2F11%2F27%2F18114526%2Fdetroit-lions-long-ball-offense-stats-matthew-stafford-jim-bob-cooter

The rest of the NFL is exploding in offensive efficiency and the Lions are headed in the opposite direction.

Despite adding another piece to the offensive line and a much-improved running game, the Lions passing attack in steep decline. They’re now just 23rd in 40+ yard passing plays (4) and a mere 25th in yards per attempt (6.9). Stafford has thrown just 17 touchdowns this year—the same number as Browns rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield.

The reasons the Lions offense has been severely neutered are many. Despite the improvements on the offensive line, Stafford is getting sacked at a rate nearly identical to last season. The Detroit receiving corps, even before it was decimated by injury and trades, was failing to get any downfield separation. And after the Lions’ best receivers were gone from the lineup, Detroit’s gameplan clearly switched to a short-yardage attack to accommodate the change in personnel.

But a few of these problems aren’t even new. Stafford has had to deal with pressure his entire career. We already knew that Marvin Jones Jr. and Golden Taint had trouble creating separation prior to the pass.

Somewhere along the way this offseason, Matthew Stafford’s passing chart went from looking like this:

pass_chart_STA134157_2017_reg_8_1509397050501.jpeg

To this:

pass_chart_STA134157_2018_reg_12_1542920000673.jpeg

Matthew Stafford is just not looking downfield much anymore, and whether that’s a product of design from offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, a result of worse personnel—like it or not, Eric Ebron helped stretch the field, even when he was dropping passes—or just Stafford being overly cautious, isn’t completely clear. But for now, the long ball is dead in Detroit, and there’s very little chance of it returning in 2018.
--------------
They better find it before Sunday....
Rams are well over 30pts/game.
-------------
I’m a little concerned Suh wants to make a statement
----------
Even when Suh didn’t get hit with the franchise tag, he still thought the Lions would do enough to keep him.

One of the reasons he felt good about Detroit is because owner Martha Ford personally called him on March 3 after the Lions decided not to tag him.

"Even after they didn’t do the franchise tag and I spoke to Mrs. Ford after that piece, I still felt just a great, great chance of me still being in Detroit,"

Suh said. "So, it wasn’t until really, really late, late in the process is where I was like, ‘Wow, I got to, I actually got to start thinking outside of Detroit.’"
--------------
The offensive line regressing
Make this possible. They can’t block like they’re being paid to block. You need time for routes to develop, simple as that.
--------------
The Lions’ offense should have resembled something similar to KC or the Rams, with all of the weapons they started the season out with, but now we have this neutered offense that most teams install when the backup QB starts his first game

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
This game is a big indicator to me. I remember in 2003 when the Rams were rolling and a bad Detroit team caught them unprepared and gave them a late season loss that seemed to kill the momentum that was building towards the playoffs. McVay has been masterful at having the team ready for all situations and I don't expect that to change with this 10AM road game. These next two weeks are critical to their home field chances over the Saints.