What is a "true #1 WR"??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tbux

Rookie
Curious. Did Snead go to West Virginia's Pro Day last year?

I don't know the answer to that- guessing it is no by your question. Again Memphis- lets see who we end up taking- betting they don't agree with you on Clowney- I could be wrong.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So you want to take a premier DE prospect and play him at DT at times? and Long at LB (not fast enough)?? yeah no thanks. If we didn't have the depth we have at DE- I would buy it- but we do. Our Dline is one of the best in the NFL- our DE's are surely among the top DE units in the NFL. no need to reduce snaps of productive players. Hayes and Sims give them the breather they need already.

now go to Oline and WR- surely we could use an elite level player there, and surely they will have a bigger impact.

and a 6'1 wr with 4.4 speed is a mismatch for most Cbs - who's average NFL height is 5'10. not to mention his great quickness as well.

you repeatedly punish him for catching the short passes. Last I checked he didn't design the plays at Clemson. they played off because trying to press him is suicide and they would get beat deep. He made plays all over- he isn't one dimensional- so I am not concerned about the 70% number you like to throw out. That isn't a knock- it is a result of that offense= one he THRIVED in. teams knew what was coming, and couldn't stop it! he has plenty size and plenty speed to be a top level NFL wr. Oh and great hands. oh and intelligence. Nothing about his game says he wont thrive at the next level- not to mention his insane drive and work ethic- two things Clowney is questioned about.
Yeah - I'd say you could punish the GSOT for a lot of that too being that a lot of our game was predicated on YAC.

I just think that those who view Watkins as the best choice view him in much rarer air than those who want us to do something else - or maybe they just really want to. I get that and I also get that it is tough to watch our offense at times without thinking, what if we had a high caliber WR? So if we had said high caliber WR, would we exploit his abilities properly enough to satisfy those Jonesing for a 1200 yards+ guy? I look at Watkins and I don't see anything near a Fitz. He is the best example I can come up with in our division. And the last two seasons as our division has morphed into the best division in football, he hasn't broken 1,000 yards. I think it's telling.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't know the answer to that- guessing it is no by your question. Again Memphis- lets see who we end up taking- betting they don't agree with you on Clowney- I could be wrong.
I think he did go to WV and that's why I wondered. Still - matters not. I like to think Snead has a lot to do. Schedules and plans allow for key individuals to go where needed most.

Memphis Ram

Legend

You bet they don't agree with me with Clowney? Hopefully, you are reading my lines and not in between them again.
Clowney is a potential stud, but he's not greater than another top rated player AND a draft choice(s) haul.

tbux

Rookie
You bet they don't agree with me with Clowney? Hopefully, you are reading my lines and not in between them again.
Clowney is a potential stud, but he's not greater than another top rated player AND a draft choice(s) haul.

nah man- its tough to decipher when you constantly speak on both sides of your mouth.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
nah man- its tough to decipher when you constantly speak on both sides of your mouth.
Ah come on man. Let's not go there - eh? I think we all go there from time to time. I'm not being critical of you. We just get so wrapped up in our opinions. In the end - that's all we have and most of us morph them to fit our scenarios. Fun stuff to be able to do that without millions riding on it - eh?

Cool place that the conversations still remain civil here. Love this place known as ROD.

Alan

Legend
Are you guys sure this isn't just a misunderstanding?

Here's what I understand Memphis to be saying. He thinks Clowney is a very good prospect but he doesn't want to draft him because he thinks that while Clowney is very good, he's not as good as who we'd draft instead (maybe Matthews or Robinson) plus the extra draft picks we'd get for trading down. Do you disagree with that tbux?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Here's what I understand Memphis to be saying. He thinks Clowney is a very good prospect but he doesn't want to draft him because he thinks that while Clowney is very good, he's not as good as who we'd draft instead (maybe Matthews or Robinson) plus the extra draft picks we'd get for trading down. Do you disagree with that tbux?
Absolutely not! I know what all of you are thinking based on what you mash your keyboards with your fat fingers.

Too much?

Seriously - we all take our positions too seriously at times. But WTF - we're fans. Perspective is something I think most of us have here. It keeps us from becoming enemies and also allows us to voice our opinions knowing that trolls will be dealt with - if not internally then by the posters themselves. We all owe the owner of this site our best to prevent it from becoming yet another tainted site.

I just love the respect demonstrated here and it's why I go nowhere else.

Steps down from his soap box.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think what he means is that everyone wants a #1 caliber WR but everyone also wants a #1 caliber O-line and D-line and RB and so on. He and I just think having a #1 caliber WR is not as high a priority as having a #1 caliber O-line when looking at the whole picture. I personally think that WR isn't even in second place priorities wise. DB is.

Here, here well said..

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think there will always be a fan base that hates drafting a lineman over a skill position. There is a fan base that will always want to draft the BPA. There is a fan base that will always want to draft the biggest perceived need. And then there are value guys, who want the best value, regardless of position.

What I am seeing on this board is a little bit of that, but there also seems to be a fracture of guys who think Sammy Watkins is a true #1, and guys who see him as just a good receiver prospect.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think there will always be a fan base that hates drafting a lineman over a skill position. There is a fan base that will always want to draft the BPA. There is a fan base that will always want to draft the biggest perceived need. And then there are value guys, who want the best value, regardless of position.

What I am seeing on this board is a little bit of that, but there also seems to be a fracture of guys who think Sammy Watkins is a true #1, and guys who see him as just a good receiver prospect.

That's pretty much where I see him.

I am no more an authority on it though than... well... me, myself, and I. I really don't know any of your backgrounds besides what I've gleaned and what you've presented to me. Many of you know me as a restaurant and brewery owner. Like that has shit to do with football besides being a fan. That being said, many of you spend a bunch of time pouring through these details and I - for one - love reading about it.

Dr. Ram - you are one of those that I feel has not only been here amongst us rabble for the long term - but also spends a great deal of time looking at things in a logical manner. Just my opinion. The rest of you rabble raisers are great fodder for my views.

Love you guys. :D

Now pay attention to the doctor. No pressure there right Doc? :cool:

Seriously though - I love being here amongst you idiots (me included) and talking about our team. I have been here since Paulie started this thing and I really dig that the new blood (@PhxRam ) is taking much the same tact with some new tech. I feel like some BS patriarch-being at times with how long I've been here but it is all the new AND old that will continue to make this site the shiznitz.

Screw with each other. But always recognize that others won't get it . Take the time to publicly state that you were indeed screwing with someone from time to time. If not for the person you are yanking - for the rest of those who just tuned in.

The reason I bring this up is that I see a lot of new people (which I love to see) and they don't yet get the tenor between certain posters here that have been jabbing for years. Some times it may look more like discord than it really is. Feel free to shoot the shit with the guy across the bar from you. I have to admit that I really had not given it much thought here until a couple posters brought it up in an easy sense @NJRAM and @Prime Time

But in reality - very few of us really know each other. Maybe we should all want to meet each other in the same bar - especially if it's a Whiner bar. Let's keep the thought that we all want to get together as Ram fans. That would make for a totally cool place. And arguments would still ensue - all be it in a more "yeah - your mother" sort of way.

Fun times - good vibes - and I've had too many of our latest brew.

Cheers my friends.

Memphis Ram

Legend

No I haven't spoken out of both sides of my mouth tbux. It's just a pattern with you to put words into other posters mouths. You've done it to me before and you do it quite a bit to others on the Rams Talk board. I've corrected you twice already in this thread for claiming things stated THAT WERE NEVER STATED. It's just time for you to look in the mirror guy.(y)

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend

Basically, here's my thinking. If Clowney is on the board at #2 and the Rams cannot work a suitable deal to move down and consider him clearly the BPA, then I hope they take him. But, if they can get picks and another highly rated player such as Matthews, Robinson, or even Mack, then that is obviously the way to go. And, IMO, Watkins doesn't rank as highly as any of them.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend

tumblr_laf8hhYEuV1qbxlumo1_500.gif

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram probably being too harsh:
No I haven't spoken out of both sides of my mouth tbux. It's just a pattern with you to put words into other posters mouths. I've corrected you twice already in this thread for claiming things stated THAT WERE NEVER STATED.
Good morning Memphis! :coffee:
That doesn't mean it was intentional does it Memphis? People can imply things without saying them and then excoriate another person for not getting your implication. Misunderstandings happen all the time and certain writing styles are sometimes problematical for some posters and easy for others to understand. I've frequently been unable to get my point across correctly. In fact, I just had a conversation with another poster who I never was able to express myself so as to get him to understand what I was trying to say. Is that his fault or mine? Myself, I think it's the responsibility of the writer to ensure his audience understands him. I always assume that the other guy isn't purposely trying to distort what I'm saying and I'm almost always correct in that assumption. Making the assumption that the other guy is purposely distorting what I said has never worked out well for me.

Then there are people like zn. Nuff said there.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
Memphis Ram defining his position:
Basically, here's my thinking. If Clowney is on the board at #2 and the Rams cannot work a suitable deal to move down and consider him clearly the BPA, then I hope they take him. But, if they can get picks and another highly rated player such as Matthews, Robinson, or even Mack, then that is obviously the way to go. And, IMO, Watkins doesn't rank as highly as any of them.

That's exactly what I thought you were saying. I disagree with that approach. I'd take Matthews instead but I understand your position.

jjab360

Legend
Good morning Memphis! :coffee:
That doesn't mean it was intentional does it Memphis? People can imply things without saying them and then excoriate another person for not getting your implication. Misunderstandings happen all the time and certain writing styles are sometimes problematical for some posters and easy for others to understand. I've frequently been unable to get my point across correctly. In fact, I just had a conversation with another poster who I never was able to express myself so as to get him to understand what I was trying to say. Is that his fault or mine? Myself, I think it's the responsibility of the writer to ensure his audience understands him. I always assume that the other guy isn't purposely trying to distort what I'm saying and I'm almost always correct in that assumption. Making the assumption that the other guy is purposely distorting what I said has never worked out well for me.
Then there are people like zn. Nuff said there.
Maybe it's just early in the morning, but that is, ironically, one of the most confusing things I've ever read. :LOL:;)

tbux

Rookie

Well this is the first time you have said it clearly and distinctly- usually you make a ton of implications- some of which contradict other points you have made. A month ago you stated you wanted to stay at 2 and take Clowney. Now you want a trade down first and foremost- interesting.

and I couldnt disagree more that those three guys rank higher than Watkins. Not for our team anyways- only Robinson I think would be as good for our situation. Mack isnt a fit imho. So I wouldnt bold obviously- it is obvious to you- certainly not me- but I respect your opinions and always have. Agree to disagree.

Alan

Legend
jjab360 offering himself as an example:
Maybe it's just early in the morning, but that is, ironically, one of the most confusing things I've ever read. :LOL:;)
See what I mean. In this case I'm going to make an exception and blame it all on you cause I understood it perfectly.:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:(y)

Alan

Legend
tbux forgetting that nothing remains static:
Well this is the first time you have said it clearly and distinctly- usually you make a ton of implications- some of which contradict other points you have made. A month ago you stated you wanted to stay at 2 and take Clowney. Now you want a trade down first and foremost- interesting.

and I couldnt disagree more that those three guys rank higher than Watkins. Not for our team anyways- only Robinson I think would be as good for our situation. Mack isnt a fit imho. So I wouldnt bold obviously- it is obvious to you- certainly not me- but I respect your opinions and always have. Agree to disagree.
A month ago we thought we might be able to sign Saffold. Now we have another hole to fill and we could use some extra picks to fill it. So it's not a contradiction, it's an adaptation. Assuming again?
As the marines would say, Improvise, Adapt and Overcome.