What is a "true #1 WR"??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

Hey Phx, I just tried to add a smiley in an edit to the post above and I'm having the same problem. Also, frequently I hit the quote button, it comes out with the quote, I hit the Insert Quotes button and nothing happens. I have to manually copy and paste the post and then type in the posters name above it. Just trying to give you something to keep you busy. :whistle:

Multi quote is really not intended for single quotes. To single quote just reply to the person.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Multi quote is really not intended for single quotes. To single quote just reply to the person.

I just learned how to use multi quote a few days ago, before that i used to right click reply and open it in a new tab for each quote I wanted, then copied and pasted them all into on comment box lol. I am an idiot.

PhxRam

I just learned how to use multi quote a few days ago, before that i used to right click reply and open it in a new tab for each quote I wanted, then copied and pasted them all into on comment box lol. I am an idiot.

Little kmown fact.. you can carry quotes across posts as well. You can multi quote and then use that quote in another thread. In the pop up box that shows the quotes you can rearrange the order of quotes as well by dragging and dropping them in the pop up

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
:D
Issues? Many. :D

But the adding emos when editing. Also, if I try to add more than one emo, the cursor goes to the beginning of the post. I have to then re-click the spot where I want the cursor and emo to go and do that every time I want another emo in that location. Like this - :D

I clicked the emo twice. It put one of them where I wanted it and the other at the top. If I continue to click the emo, it just makes the cursor change sides of the emo at the top.

Also, when I used the site on my mobile the other day, it kept sending me to the top of the thread if I try to reply to another post. Kinda frustrating there. It's an HTC DNA android.

PhxRam

Will look into the issue when I get home from work.. might have to disable the additional smilies until then. Seems that is when the problems started

Alan

Legend
PhxRam contemplating draconian measures:
might have to disable the additional smilies until then.
images
AARRGH!

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
What crap? You keep saying #1 overall QB instead of the guys name. Sam Bradford.
What crap? This crap:
I see now. You seem to be a bit too focused on on draft positions and not actual players.
Let's stay focused on the actual argument and not perceived flaws in those who disagree with us? Okay? I'm not the issue. You're not the issue. Stay on the issue.

As to why I point out that we have a #1 overall QB? Because if we keep the kind of run-centric offense being advocated, that's a huge waste of draft capital. In that kind of circumstance, a journeyman QB will do just as well. Also, I think in that kind of situation, we'll be perennial also-rans.

Stacy isn't Dickerson, and even when we had Dickerson, that one dimensionality took us nowhere.

While the team already has a LT, what's wrong with getting a quality bookend capable with the potential to replace said LT given his significant injury history? Again, these guys just don't fall from the trees whenever they are needed. For example, Arizona has been looking for years. It shouldn't be odd for a team to snatch one up when the opportunity arises. I mean should the Rams have passed on Orlando Pace since they had Wanye Gandy already?
Nothing's "wrong" with it per se. It just makes less sense of a plan in my opinion than actually taking something we don't have.

And do I need to illustrate the difference between Jake Long and Wayne Gandy?

And I've yet to read anyone who wanted to throw Long away. It's just that some of us see the guys injury history and have concerns. And those concerns seem to include the front office who structured his contract they way they did so that they could get out of it quickly. And why not fix the so-called hole in the boat with a player with the potential of playing 4-5 positions along the OLine at a high level? Isn't that far better than plugging a hole with a player who cannot?
Realistically, drafting Robinson/Matthews with a Top 10 pick means Long is a dead man walking, regardless of performance. Just like the Drew Bennett signing was writing on the wall for Isaac Bruce or San Diego's pick of Phillip Rivers made Drew Brees a lame duck (bet they wish they had a takeback on that one, even though Rivers is okay.)

And you miss the point of the hole in the boat analogy. LT is currently not a hole in the boat. #1 WR is. Guard is as well, but great guards can be had later.

I want a guy that we can use from day 1 at his intended position. Matthews/Robinson are not those guys. They would have been had we not signed Long.

Fisher stepped in and went right back to what he was doing in Tennessee that worked. A balanced offense with a strong running game and strong defense. Do you really believe his plan is to add more pieces necessary to attempt to do what failed last year?? After he saw what worked with the guys already on hand? It makes far more sense to build upon what was working doesn't it??
He made a change because we were limited by our personnel. It'd be stupid in my opinion to never want to grow out of those limitations and remain run focused in the long term.

But please remember, both of us are just guys with an opinion. You're not going to sway the Rams by shouting opposition down or pretending that both arguments don't have merit.

tbux

Rookie
Yeah I agree Boffo- people assume because of the 2nd half of the year- dictated mostly by circumstance, we became run heavy- we had to- no choice. I don't anticipate that same offense this year- I see a much more balanced approach, with more lean to the pass actually. We will end with more throws than runs imo.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
A number one receiver is something that Watkins will be for some other team because STL has significant OL issues. Time for Quick to man up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As to why I point out that we have a #1 overall QB? Because if we keep the kind of run-centric offense being advocated, that's a huge waste of draft capital. In that kind of circumstance, a journeyman QB will do just as well. Also, I think in that kind of situation, we'll be perennial also-rans.

This is flawed logic. Why?
A) The #1 overall pick is a sunk cost.
B) The previous regime drafted Sam at #1 overall.
C) The idea that a run-centric offense is wasting a QB is misguided at best and dishonest at worst.
D) The idea that a journeyman QB will do just as well as a legitimate QB on a run-centric offense is a laughable supposition.
E) The Seahawks and 49ers are both run-centric offenses...are they also-rans?

Realistically, drafting Robinson/Matthews with a Top 10 pick means Long is a dead man walking, regardless of performance. Just like the Drew Bennett signing was writing on the wall for Isaac Bruce or San Diego's pick of Phillip Rivers made Drew Brees a lame duck (bet they wish they had a takeback on that one, even though Rivers is okay.)

Jake Long is a dead man walking regardless of what they do this year. He has three years remaining on his contract and the odds that we re-up him after that are pretty minute. Hell, he may not make the end of his contract with all the injuries he had...and that pains me to say because he's a very good LT when healthy.

And you miss the point of the hole in the boat analogy. LT is currently not a hole in the boat. #1 WR is. Guard is as well, but great guards can be had later.

Great WRs can be had later. More flawed logic. But we're drafting a man with a LT skill-set to play OG for 3 years at most. Would you have passed on Jonathan Ogden back in the day because LT was not a hole in the boat for them and great OGs can be found later?

I want a guy that we can use from day 1 at his intended position. Matthews/Robinson are not those guys. They would have been had we not signed Long.

Well, that's your opinion. My opinion is that rookies are quite unpredictable(for the most part) in terms of early impact so drafting a guy based on what he will do/be day 1 rather than looking to the future is poor strategic planning.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
This is flawed logic. Why?
A) The #1 overall pick is a sunk cost.
B) The previous regime drafted Sam at #1 overall.
C) The idea that a run-centric offense is wasting a QB is misguided at best and dishonest at worst.
D) The idea that a journeyman QB will do just as well as a legitimate QB on a run-centric offense is a laughable supposition.
E) The Seahawks and 49ers are both run-centric offenses...are they also-rans?
Just because you disagree with my logic doesn't make it flawed and certainly doesn't make it "misguided" or "dishonest". Again, I ask if we can please keep the debate on the topic and not try to make it personal.

A & B) Basically the same argument... but still, Fisher came to a team that had a #1 overall QB. If he wants the team, long term, to be running dominated, then that asset is not being used effectively. He's also being as big a control freak as the previous coach was accused of being, but I don't want to reopen that can of worms.

C & D) Also basically the same argument... and not even an argument. It's really only name calling. Sure, the highly drafted QB might be slightly better, but you're limiting his ceiling (just as you are by not giving him a #1) if you limit his job to managing a run-centric offense. You can use an expensive custom made sword to cut steak, but a common steak knife will do the job just as well and be a lot cheaper.

E) The Seahawks and 49ers are both succeeding because of their defense right now.

Jake Long is a dead man walking regardless of what they do this year. He has three years remaining on his contract and the odds that we re-up him after that are pretty minute. Hell, he may not make the end of his contract with all the injuries he had...and that pains me to say because he's a very good LT when healthy.
If he can't do the job, admit that it was a failed signing. If he can, let him do it for another year and wait to draft LT when we need to. Drafting a top ten tackle one year after signing Long is going to be seen, fairly or not, as an admission of a mistake.

Great WRs can be had later. More flawed logic.
Wow. How many times is this argument going to have to be answered? Yes, you can get good, and maybe even great WRs later. But we're not after just another WR. We're after a #1. A #1 MIGHT emerge from a lower round or what we have but it's very, very unlikely. As opposed to the vast majority of great guards throughout history who were drafted later than Top 10.

But we're drafting a man with a LT skill-set to play OG for 3 years at most. Would you have passed on Jonathan Ogden back in the day because LT was not a hole in the boat for them and great OGs can be found later?
Wow, Jonathan Ogden is being clung to like a life preserver around here lately. Yes, if we knew now what we knew then, I probably would have gone with Jonathan Ogden. And if the Rams are convinced that Robinson or Matthews has THAT level of talent, then they should make the pick too. I haven't heard that level of praise for Robinson and Matthews from the pundits and Robinson in particular scares me as a pick at that level because I worry about his unproven pass protection skills.

With this logic being presented though... the Draft a Tackle camp used to facetiously ask if people would want to draft ANOTHER WR high next year if Watkins didn't immediately dominate. I answered that we wouldn't because the only recent WR we drafted feeling that he had a great chance at being a #1 type was Quick. He's had two years and hasn't shown much. That might change next year, and if it does, that's awesome, but I wouldn't bet money on it. But the logic being used by those who want a tackles could easily apply for clamoring for another "once a decade" tackle next year even if we take Robinson or Matthews. Hell, I think a few people here would take Robinson AND Matthews if we could swing it. Smart GMing involves balancing priorities instead of focusing on one area.

Well, that's your opinion. My opinion is that rookies are quite unpredictable(for the most part) in terms of early impact so drafting a guy based on what he will do/be day 1 rather than looking to the future is poor strategic planning.
This is the Not For Long league. (Although, if this league isn't for Jake, that's a good argument to replace him. Heyo!) While I agree that rookies are unpredictable in the sense that anyone we could pick could be a bust, I still think we should follow the conventional wisdom (hence name because it's conventionally wise) and not draft a tackle unless we need a tackle right now. We don't. We need guards. Drafting a tackle to play guard for 1, 2, 3 years isn't the best plan in my opinion.

You have every right to an alternate opinion. And I'll admit, there's validity to the tackle arguments. I think the Rams are going to be good either way. I just have my personal preference.

tbux

Rookie
Boffo I seem to agree with everything you are saying. well put. Cant argue much of that at all. nice post.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After what has happened in the first 4 hours of FA I don't see how we draft anyone but Matthews or Robinson with our 1st 1st round pick/

tbux

Rookie
After what has happened in the first 4 hours of FA I don't see how we draft anyone but Matthews or Robinson with our 1st 1st round pick/

really? what were you expecting? tell me the logic behind that comment- curious.

Alan

Legend
I totally expected a signing. We've recently acquired more CAP room than we expected and have some to spend. Why did they let all the decent players go to other teams? Maybe they are going to use it to sign lots of marginal players like Chris Williams but I don't see the logic of that. So yeah, I expected more and the last 4 hours have not made me happy.

Maybe I'll see some logic later when I see who they do sign and draft or come to find out we didn't have as much CAP room as I thought. Hope so.

Last edited:

Boffo97

Name
Dave
The only thing I see that's happened in FA is that we're definitely not having Saffold stay.

I can easily see how the Rams could still not take Matthews/Robinson: Sign an FA guard (always part of the plan, as Saffold was included in this), draft Yankey or Su'a-Filo, and obtain depth either through minor FA signings or later picks.

Our line is Long / Yankey or Su'a-Filo / Barnes or Jones / FA / Barksdale and we're good IMO.