What is a "true #1 WR"??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Hey Phx, I just tried to add a smiley in an edit to the post above and I'm having the same problem. Also, frequently I hit the quote button, it comes out with the quote, I hit the Insert Quotes button and nothing happens. I have to manually copy and paste the post and then type in the posters name above it. Just trying to give you something to keep you busy. :whistle:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think there will always be a fan base that hates drafting a lineman over a skill position. There is a fan base that will always want to draft the BPA. There is a fan base that will always want to draft the biggest perceived need. And then there are value guys, who want the best value, regardless of position.

What I am seeing on this board is a little bit of that, but there also seems to be a fracture of guys who think Sammy Watkins is a true #1, and guys who see him as just a good receiver prospect.

I think what may be happening is this. Every year is different and some years there aren't any real superstars so the guys who are the best at their position get turned into superstars by fans and the media. Even if they are very good the hype makes them better. So a guy like Watkins who had an outstanding college carer become the next great thing.

It's been noticeably quiet about QB's. As in the hype machine has been turned off, and so a lot of attention is going to other guys.

tbux

Rookie
Ive seen Watkins a bunch, and all I kept thinking was the potential of this guy in horns- he plays much bigger than he actually is and as soon as he catches the ball- he takes off- much like D THomas. Great acceleration. He also catches EVERYTHING. I dont see this guy being just another guy- he is special- it is noticeable when you see him play enough.

Alan

Legend
tbux lukewarm about Sammy:
Ive seen Watkins a bunch, and all I kept thinking was the potential of this guy in horns- he plays much bigger than he actually is and as soon as he catches the ball- he takes off- much like D THomas. Great acceleration. He also catches EVERYTHING. I dont see this guy being just another guy- he is special- it is noticeable when you see him play enough.
You and RFIP should get together and have a few beers. He's on the fence about Sammy too. :ROFLMAO:

tbux

Rookie
You and RFIP should get together and have a few beers. He's on the fence about Sammy too. :ROFLMAO:

ALl I can say is, when you watch as much CFB as I do- you learn pretty quickly who is special, and who is just good. Nothing about this guy says he is just good. I dont comment about players I dont see much of- like west coast schools etc. I live in FLA- I watch most of the Fla teams, SEC, ACC and any of the big games outside of those. Watching Watkins- I see a guy who has that "want to" the greats usually have. He wants the ball more than you do. He works hard, and he has an insane drive. No way this guy is just ok- He will be a top 10 NFL wr in the next 5 years- I truly believe that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey Phx, I just tried to add a smiley in an edit to the post above and I'm having the same problem. Also, frequently I hit the quote button, it comes out with the quote, I hit the Insert Quotes button and nothing happens. I have to manually copy and paste the post and then type in the posters name above it. Just trying to give you something to keep you busy. :whistle:
@PhxRam I have that issue as well.

Alan

Legend
tbux redux:
ALl I can say is, when you watch as much CFB as I do- you learn pretty quickly who is special, and who is just good. Nothing about this guy says he is just good. I dont comment about players I dont see much of- like west coast schools etc. I live in FLA- I watch most of the Fla teams, SEC, ACC and any of the big games outside of those. Watching Watkins- I see a guy who has that "want to" the greats usually have. He wants the ball more than you do. He works hard, and he has an insane drive. No way this guy is just ok- He will be a top 10 NFL wr in the next 5 years- I truly believe that.
I think we all understand your viewpoint on this. Some agree with you and some don't. That's probably not going to change is it? :)

Personally, I'd like to hear your views on other subjects.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I also see the logic in FINALLY getting Sam a weapon he can trust and build a true rapport with when he needs a play made.

You mean TA is not that guy??? :eek::ROFLMAO:

tbux

Rookie
You mean TA is not that guy??? :eek::ROFLMAO:

Tavon was never going to be a #1 wr and wasnt drafted to be. He is great and I am glad he is a Ram. He is going to do great things for us- and actually a #1 wr on the outside will only help him as well- Im talking that guy on 3rd and 5 that makes the catch with a defender all over him etc. catches everything, and makes big plays - it would do wonders for this team. I think some forget Tory Holt and what he meant to this team- or Ike before him. Havent had a 1000 yd wr since.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I really enjoyed watching his performance in the bowl game. That is the only game I have seen him in. He demonstrated the ability to high point the ball and how well he uses his hands as well as his ability to get YAC. I'm just not sure how well he transitions to the NFL, how hit fits together with what we have and how well his talents would be used in this offense.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Tavon was never going to be a #1 wr and wasnt drafted to be. He is great and I am glad he is a Ram. He is going to do great things for us- and actually a #1 wr on the outside will only help him as well- Im talking that guy on 3rd and 5 that makes the catch with a defender all over him etc. catches everything, and makes big plays - it would do wonders for this team. I think some forget Tory Holt and what he meant to this team- or Ike before him. Havent had a 1000 yd wr since.
The yardage thing just does not impress me I really do not care about their personal stats. If you are looking for that 3rd and 5 guy there are others who can do that, even a couple on the team already Cook and Kendricks come to mind.

tbux

Rookie
The yardage thing just does not impress me I really do not care about their personal stats. If you are looking for that 3rd and 5 guy there are others who can do that, even a couple on the team already Cook and Kendricks come to mind.

Kendricks doesnt have to be accounted for besides a LB or a safety. He is not a top level TE and isnt a reliable get open, and make the play guy. You have to know that. Cook so far is spotty. I am not talking stats either- talking a great outside threat that demands attention, that beats single coverage often, and makes plays. We dont have it- we havent had it in a long time, and it is invaluable to a young QB. WE have missed on some since Fisher taking over- we have a chance at one now- we should take that chance. jmho

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Kendricks doesnt have to be accounted for besides a LB or a safety. He is not a top level TE and isnt a reliable get open, and make the play guy. You have to know that. Cook so far is spotty. I am not talking stats either- talking a great outside threat that demands attention, that beats single coverage often, and makes plays. We dont have it- we havent had it in a long time, and it is invaluable to a young QB. WE have missed on some since Fisher taking over- we have a chance at one now- we should take that chance. jmho

Well that is a lot different than a guy that makes a 3rd and 5 conversion.

I would say Bailey might be that guy and even though a lot of guys don't think so Quick could still be that guy.

I have been wanting a guy 6'3" or bigger on the outside who can dominate smaller DB with his physicality and produce. I would take a Matthews Evans combo over Watkins and whoever at #13.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

IMO, Austin can and should be that if we allow it.

tbux

Rookie
Well that is a lot different than a guy that makes a 3rd and 5 conversion.

I would say Bailey might be that guy and even though a lot of guys don't think so Quick could still be that guy.

I have been wanting a guy 6'3" or bigger on the outside who can dominate smaller DB with his physicality and produce. I would take a Matthews Evans combo over Watkins and whoever at #13.

I rather Watkins and Lewan myself. Seen both Watkins and Evans a ton- I dont think there is a comparison. I also think there is a better chance of Quick becoming that big threat than Bailey becoming a Watkins type.

jrry- dont think Austin will or was ever meant to be a outside threat - more of a slot, inside/outside do it all type. Not just an outside guy.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I rather Watkins and Lewan myself. Seen both Watkins and Evans a ton- I dont think there is a comparison. I also think there is a better chance of Quick becoming that big threat than Bailey becoming a Watkins type.

jrry- dont think Austin will or was ever meant to be a outside threat - more of a slot, inside/outside do it all type. Not just an outside guy.

Well, he should be an outside guy for us like DeSean is for Philly. The Amendola role is a waste of his skill-set. Would rather see Stedman take on that role.

And I agree with Blackbart. Evans/Matthews >>>>> Watkins/Lewan

tbux

Rookie
Well, he should be an outside guy for us like DeSean is for Philly. The Amendola role is a waste of his skill-set. Would rather see Stedman take on that role.

And I agree with Blackbart. Evans/Matthews >>>>> Watkins/Lewan

Different skill set than Desean- and agree to disagree with the combo. but thats all good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Different skill set than Desean- and agree to disagree with the combo. but thats all good.

Not really. Same sort of skill-set except Tavon cuts better and is more dangerous after the catch. Tavon gave defenses all sorts of issues when we lined him up outside in 2013 especially when we allowed him to go deep.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well this is the first time you have said it clearly and distinctly- usually you make a ton of implications- some of which contradict other points you have made. A month ago you stated you wanted to stay at 2 and take Clowney. Now you want a trade down first and foremost- interesting.

and I couldnt disagree more that those three guys rank higher than Watkins. Not for our team anyways- only Robinson I think would be as good for our situation. Mack isnt a fit imho. So I wouldnt bold obviously- it is obvious to you- certainly not me- but I respect your opinions and always have. Agree to disagree.

A month ago I didn't even think Clowney would still be on the board at #2. And yes, I believed and believe that, if he were, the Rams should take him. But, that's always been dependent upon trade opportunities. Most of my mock drafts even involve a trade down with the Falcons (and they aren't trading up for a QB). It makes no sense otherwise.

And there are tons of implications on just about every subject. Any contradictions depend upon the subject matter at hand. For example. An implication at one position/player, might not be the same for another position/player. Remember the Tavon Austin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson debate of last year? Again, if you just read the lines and not inbetween them things will go a lot smoother.

BTW, IMO, Khalil Mack could serve the same role Marcus Washington played in our new DC defense in Washington. A 4-3 SLB/blitzer while also taking reps as a pass rusher on passing downs. Perfect fit for Gregg Williams defense, IMO.

Last edited:

tbux

Rookie
A month ago I didn't even think Clowney would still be on the board at #2. And yes, I believed and believe that, if he were, the Rams should take him. But, that's always been dependent upon trade opportunities. Most of my mock drafts even involve a trade down with the Falcons (and they aren't trading up for a QB). It makes no sense otherwise.

And there are tons of implications on just about every subject. Any contradictions depend upon the subject matter at hand. For example. An implication at one position/player, might not be the same for another position/player. Remember the Tavon Austin vs. Cordarrelle Patterson debate of last year? Again, if you just read the lines and not inbetween them things will go a lot smoother.

BTW, IMO, Khalil Mack could serve the same role Marcus Washington played in our new DC defense in Washington. A 4-3 SLB/blitzer while also taking reps as a pass rusher on passing downs. Perfect fit for Gregg Williams defense, IMO.

Yeah again I disagree- I think Mack is a perfect fit for a 3-4 OLB- not so much a 4-3 slb. I would be shocked if he is on their radar - but I could be wrong. I dont think they are even considering that possibility- because where we would take Mack- Robinson, Watkins and/or Matthews may be on the board- and I dont see any way he would be taken over one of them.