What is a "true #1 WR"??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
He doesn't get a pass, but to act like his situation is the same as Saffolds is wrong. Saffold is routinely injured often, like Donnie Avery. Seemed like every other week it was some other ailment, and he would miss games. Long has been a different story since signing with us.

Fisher also knows you gotta have something out wide - and for the majority of his coaching career, his offensive lineman have mostly been Veterans. He brought the same trend when he came here - Signed Wells, Long, Williams, etc.

The Guard position has big Question Marks - that's it, not the tackle...but to act like the OL has bigger question marks than the WR Core is a bit ridiculous. There aren't any pro bowlers or anyone with pro bowl experience at Wide receiver position - hell these guys can't even crack 700 yards. And they just came off a Franchise Low year. Did we have the same low level of play from the o-line? No. In fact they graded out in the top half of the league in both run blocking and pass pro according to football outsiders. NOT FRANCHISE LOW

If it ain't broke don't fix it - spending a premium pick where we already have a premium player vs a position where we're severely lacking a premium player would be a waste, for both now and especially the future.

I have way more faith in Bourdeau taking a Guard, even if it were 3rd or 4th rounder, and turning him into an impact player - versus what we have in this WR corps right now.
Where are your assurances that Watkins is that caliber? I just don't get it. Why is it ridiculous to assume that Bailey, Austin, and Cook have big upside and that a 6'1" receiver that has never taken an NFL snap is not? Even BQ has a good chance of being that guy with a QB that can throw past 15 yards with accuracy and an O-line that allows for that play to be there before the QB has to start scrambling.

iced

I like Barks but he has been anything but a true strength at that position throughout his career. Hopefully - he will be. It took him until his 4th year to scratch the opening line-up. And we're going to think a rookie just moves right into the starting LT position when we decide to use a top pick on one? Or do we pay a huge contract to lure one away from another team?

Magical # for most pro players seems to be the 3 year mark, sometimes 4. The fact that he was one of the better RT's in football is a good thing - you shouldn't try to replace that when LG is so glaring.

On the franchise low part? KC with a very inaccurate arm and virtually unable to throw even medium length passes. The inability to protect the QB for any meaningful amount of time so our passing game plan contained a bunch of stops, hooks, and comebacks - none of which allow for YAC. Our entire passing game with as few attempts as were being made, was predicated on quick release. That helped the O-line look good on sacks but not so much when it came to allowing plays to develop or even allowing longer developing plays to be called. And in a passing league that is being built defensively around the pass, would you really go so far as to say that our offense was typical of the pass happy NFL? 6 of our games being played against the likes of AZ, Seattle, SF along with what... the 3rd toughest schedule in the league?

As to who shows me promise, Stedman closed out the last 5 games averaging something like 15 yards per catch. TA flashed his big play potential and would have looked even better if not for a couple penalties. He also stopped dropping passes as he got used to the NFL game. BQ before Sam went down - same with Cook. The sudden emergence of a decent RB. The fact that Pettis is our elder statesman. Givens and Cook were on track to have 1,000 yard seasons IIRC before Sam went down after running for his life for the umpteenth time.

No - Sorry but you cannot have it both ways. Franchise low in catches yet the receiving corps was one of the top teams in drops - and that's when bradford was starting. not to mention the spread offense they were running initially w/ no running game if anything should have helped inflate their numbers. Chris Givens? 0 Td's - 104 other receivers managed to get TD's, many others playing with backup QB's. Justin Blackmon got over 400 yards and a few td's in 4 games - what's givens excuse? I wouldn't consider Gabbert or Henne to be better than Bradford. Think about that. Blackmon got over half the yardage in 4 games than our most productive receiver did in 16 games with worse QB play.

At what point are people going to wake up and acknowledge that we don't have a #1 Receiver - why even bother drafting a QB like Bradford if we're not going to help him out?

Look at what Josh Gordon did - with 3 or 4 rotating QB's.
Guess we'll see on FA. But that O-line with the way DCs move their pass rushers around these days, strikes little confidence with me. And I have very little confidence that Wells makes it anywhere near a full season.

True but I also expect Barrett Jones to be in the mix in some capacity.
It may very well be the case that if we take a Tackle in the first round, he moves to LT in yr 2. Either via injury or as cap dictates. If not, I believe it is also not unheard of that a future LT plays at Guard or RT for a couple years. The reality of the new "pass happy" NFL is also that you better get your O-linemen early. Look at last year for example. 9 O-linemen were taken in the first round - including the two best Guards. The three best Guards were all gone by the 13th pick of the 2nd. The year before that, the 4 best Guards were all gone by that pick. What do you think that says about where the best Tackle talent went?

The problem is that anymore, you just aren't going to get top prospects by waiting until the 2nd or 3rd. Just like the RB position, draft orders have changed. So yeah - I can say that the best Guards have a very good chance of being taken before our pick in the 2nd.
Actually I think people would Argue last year's best Guard was Larry Warford,whom the Lions took at #75 and the Rams had been considering if Ogletree wasn't there after that last trade down.

In our division, if we want to dominate, it is going to take a dominant O-line that can dictate what kind of offense we run against different teams. I just believe that a team with a shutdown corner is going to be able to take Watkins out of the game with single coverage. What about him says Fitz or Johnson to you? And yet, in 2012 & 13, we did a pretty good job containing Fitz with single coverage. Seattle made him a total non-factor in both their games last year. And yet AZ still won one of them.

Easy to contain a receiver when they don't have a quarterback.... yea, and how did Seattle lose that 2nd game? A TD to Michael Floyd, a big, tall receiver in the mold of a future #1 (or so they hope)

Possibly - but recent history suggests O-linemen will still be the hotter commodity in the first and early second.

Recent history would then show no QB's should go in the first round and you can get quality RB's later the draft.... doesn't look to be the same this year does it? how many qb's do you think go in the first this year?

that's my point - every class is different

Not going to defend DR. I said early that I didn't see him as any kind of an answer. And before we totally changed our scheme, none of our RBs were doing well. Look it up. We had to employ a blocking scheme that employed a lot of pulling and a FB/TE. We turned to a power scheme that drastically pulled away from opening up our passing game.

A lot of it was whom was blocking and where from - you'll notice Cook was not asked to block anymore (That's huge, and he was a big problem)

Our receivers had all day? I must have missed those games.

And the website you linked. Doesn't that indicate we were 14th in pass protection and much worse in run blocking? I especially have a hard time with being 25th in power run blocking. That says to me, when you really need those few yards or that goal line score, how does your O-line perform.

Good thing this debate is going to decide everything - eh? :D

how is 12th in run blocking much worse? that's better

Lol if only it could decide :) Come on Snead! I know you're out there reading my opinion! side with meeeeeeee!

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Where are your assurances that Watkins is that caliber? I just don't get it. Why is it ridiculous to assume that Bailey, Austin, and Cook have big upside and that a 6'1" receiver that has never taken an NFL snap is not? Even BQ has a good chance of being that guy with a QB that can throw past 15 yards with accuracy and an O-line that allows for that play to be there before the QB has to start scrambling.

That's what baffles me more than anything else. How could a guy that caught 70% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and rarely, if ever, saw press coverage, be seen as this sure-fire stud WR the team so-called needs???

iced

We know what we get from Cook. He runs Seem routes, but not much else... Bailey? He hasn't shown me he's an outside receiver, Austin isn't. He's a weapon, but Schotty hasn't shown me he knows how to use him in mold of a Z/X receiver...and more importantly, he doesn't really fit that role either.

We saw what receivers like Blackmon/Gordon can do with sub qb play, and I think watkins is in one of those molds. These guys aren't winning jump balls - they're using their physical ability and speed to separate, somethin Watkins is similar. I see a lot of Josh Gordon in him, even if he's only 6'1 and Gordon is 6'3. They still separate, and know what to do in space with the ball.

iced

That's what baffles me more than anything else. How could a guy that caught 70% of his passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and rarely, if ever, saw press coverage, be seen as this sure-fire stud WR the team so-called needs???

I'd be happy with Watkins or Evans. Either one. I'm not gonna claim to a big draftnik like some of you guys on here - but I know enough to know that what we have at wide receiver isn't going to cut it, and there are some prospects that would be instant upgrades to our corps.

I'm tired of seeing a Ferrari in the garage with a governor on it. (Bradford w/ no legitimate outside receiver)

Memphis Ram

Legend
Would you bet money on one of the current WR's developing into a #1 type? (I'm not saying with me personally since betting on the Internet in general turns into a fool's game, but if there was some offer on the table and a way to make sure the bet would be honored either way.)

As far as Snead's quote goes there, we'll see on draft day. He was part of the Atlanta program that brought in a SECOND #1 WR after all.

Can we win without one? Sure. Is it a huge advantage to have one? I'd say yes.

If we're honestly going to make things so run centered, that's a criminal waste of the #1 overall QB that Fisher said was one of his primary reasons for coming here.

Also... know what else Fisher did without? High draft picks on the OL.

It baffles ME how many people want a LT when we already have one, and can't understand a desire for a #1 WR when we DON'T have one.

But, Jeff Fisher wasn't the coach in Atlanta. They weren't running his program.

Jeff Fisher has NEVER had a #1 WR on any of his teams. BUT, he has had some very strong OLines. And the reason he did without high draft picks on the OLine is because he didn't have the need and/or the opportunity. Awhile back I went through each year of his Titans drafts and the couple of times where need met opportunity is when a stud DLineman who was needed FAR more was staring him right in the face. Plus to my knowledge, he's never been in this situation along the Oline before.

It baffles me how after all these posts, how anyone can see Matthews and Robinson as ONLY a LT. Or that Jeff Fisher hasn't and/or isn't using the same gameplan as the more pass happy teams around the league.

tbux

Rookie
Why wouldn't you want a #1 caliber wr? what sense is there in that? you can also win with a game manager QB- but does that mean you don't want a franchise type? You can win without a dominant RB- but do you not strive to get one? we don't have that guy that teams worry about, game plan for, and makes the tough catch when you need it and consistently beats one on one coverage. We have a chance for one of those- why not?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@iced - Warford? Ain't hindsight grand? I'd take it. I think we are all talking about prospects here and my understanding was that they were looking at Warford later - not with the Tree pick.

I don't get your point on a QB shouldn't go in the first. I must be missing something. When was the last time that happened? You used to see RBs go very often in the first including the first overall. When was the last time you saw that happen? Every class is different but the draft value very much follows the trends in the NFL and also how teams plan to attack their division and the rest of the NFL. And in this class, you have one apparent best receiver and he is not in an elite class. So why take him just because you MAY be shallow at his position. Because he is the best this year but wouldn't be in most?

12th in run blocking on its own may not seem too bad. Playoff contention not too bad? Nope. But if your O-line is 25th in getting you those critical one or two yards when that is almost all on your line, THAT seems like a big problem. Now take away two of your starters and factor in that your main starter is currently recovering.

No warm and fuzzies for how our line is looking without some real athleticism and talent coming via the draft.

Just my opinion obviously. But we both know who Snead and Fisher are going to side with and no amount of begging on your part is going to change that. :cool:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'd be happy with Watkins or Evans. Either one. I'm not gonna claim to a big draftnik like some of you guys on here - but I know enough to know that what we have at wide receiver isn't going to cut it, and there are some prospects that would be instant upgrades to our corps.

I'm tired of seeing a Ferrari in the garage with a governor on it. (Bradford w/ no legitimate outside receiver)

Only time will tell if what you know is true. But, I still struggle to see how players playing a position that typically takes 2-3 years to gell in can be read so quickly. I mean I could run off a list of names of WRs that did next to nothing early, but turned into very good players. Too much of a need for instant gratification going on, IMO.

If the Ferrari is QBing a team winning ball games with a balanced offense that has more a run focus along with a strong defense, I wouldn't give a darn. Style points mean nothing to me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

And I'm tired of seeing said Ferrari with a Hummer chasing it down.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Why wouldn't you want a #1 caliber wr? what sense is there in that? you can also win with a game manager QB- but does that mean you don't want a franchise type? You can win without a dominant RB- but do you not strive to get one? we don't have that guy that teams worry about, game plan for, and makes the tough catch when you need it and consistently beats one on one coverage. We have a chance for one of those- why not?

Why wouldn't you want a dominant O-line?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
But, Jeff Fisher wasn't the coach in Atlanta. They weren't running his program.

Jeff Fisher has NEVER had a #1 WR on any of his teams. BUT, he has had some very strong OLines. And the reason he did without high draft picks on the OLine is because he didn't have the need and/or the opportunity. Awhile back I went through each year of his Titans drafts and the couple of times where need met opportunity is when a stud DLineman who was needed FAR more was staring him right in the face. Plus to my knowledge, he's never been in this situation along the Oline before.

It baffles me how after all these posts, how anyone can see Matthews and Robinson as ONLY a LT. Or that Jeff Fisher hasn't and/or isn't using the same gameplan as the more pass happy teams around the league.
It's not that I see Matthews or Robinson as only an LT. It's that I see an early #2 pick as only an LT (yes, despite the counter example of Ogden)

As far as Fisher's game plan goes (which I think would be far more Schottenheimer's plan, since Fisher isn't an offense guy) is bound only by the players he has. And if it's going to be as run-centric as you say, why even bother going to a team with a #1 overall QB?

tbux

Rookie
Why wouldn't you want a dominant O-line?

you would- I have no issues with Robinson or Matthews- my point was going against those that say you shouldn't take a WR- if he is the best player on the board- take him- we have many picks- and can address the oline issues as we still have two quality starting OT's and can find OGs later generally speaking.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Who doesn't want one? No one has said that.

tbux

Rookie
Who doesn't want one? No one has said that.

you seem pretty strong against taking Watkins- sighting wanting the youngins to develop- so either you think we have one, you think Watkins isn't one, or don't believe we need one to win (which you have stated many times) - yet you want Clowney- a guy who would be a rotational guy when we have two very good Des already, and a very solid backup in Hayes. Doesn't make much sense to me.

iced

@iced - Warford? Ain't hindsight grand? I'd take it. I think we are all talking about prospects here and my understanding was that they were looking at Warford later - not with the Tree pick.

not really hindsight - he was a favorite of mine pre-draft and many others on here, and you're the one that said the best guard came in the top 2 rounds.

The problem is that anymore, you just aren't going to get top prospects by waiting until the 2nd or 3rd. Just like the RB position, draft orders have changed. So yeah - I can say that the best Guards have a very good chance of being taken before our pick in the 2nd.

^ that's your quote. A lot of good guards come out of the 2nd-4th round, but that always depends on the draft and how deep it is.
I don't get your point on a QB shouldn't go in the first. I must be missing something. When was the last time that happened? You used to see RBs go very often in the first including the first overall. When was the last time you saw that happen? Every class is different but the draft value very much follows the trends in the NFL and also how teams plan to attack their division and the rest of the NFL. And in this class, you have one apparent best receiver and he is not in an elite class. So why take him just because you MAY be shallow at his position. Because he is the best this year but wouldn't be in most?

outside of EJ Manuel, whom went middle of the first, the rest of the qb's went 2nd - 4th mainly. Last year was the first year not to have a RB go in the first - Lacy was the first one off the board.

12th in run blocking on its own may not seem too bad. Playoff contention not too bad? Nope. But if your O-line is 25th in getting you those critical one or two yards when that is almost all on your line, THAT seems like a big problem. Now take away two of your starters and factor in that your main starter is currently recovering.

Yep - but look at where they're running and their effectiveness. They were very good when going behind the tackles, comletely different story for the guards... draft some road grading guards - they're available outside the top 10
No warm and fuzzies for how our line is looking without some real athleticism and talent coming via the draft.

Just my opinion obviously. But we both know who Snead and Fisher are going to side with and no amount of begging on your part is going to change that. :cool:

lol it's all our opinions - i just wanna see some guards and i think we're set for a PO run, provided we get a receiver some how.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's not that I see Matthews or Robinson as only an LT. It's that I see an early #2 pick as only an LT (yes, despite the counter example of Ogden)

As far as Fisher's game plan goes (which I think would be far more Schottenheimer's plan, since Fisher isn't an offense guy) is bound only by the players he has. And if it's going to be as run-centric as you say, why even bother going to a team with a #1 overall QB?

I see now. You seem to be a bit too focused on on draft positions and not actual players.

Bradford could have been an undrafted FA steal instead of a #1 overall selection. Fisher went to a team with a young starting potential franchise QB. Why? Because they are hard to find and typically not having one isn't good for job security.

Limiting the #2 pick to LT makes more sense if the old CBA were still in place due to it's financial implications. But, that's not the case today. That is one of the reasons we saw guards selected in the top 10 last year.

Finally, Fisher is the guy that hired Schottenhiemer. And Fisher is ultimately responsible for what happens on both sides of the football. I have yet to read anything anywhere where Schottenhiemer has been given full reign of the offense to do whatever he wants to do. However, I have read where Fisher stepped in after that 49er game debacle and had the team/Schottenhiemer place more of an emphasis on the rushing attack, though.