What if Sean McVay is really an asshole?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
According t the article silver put out .. yes mcvay is a bit of an asshole .. didn’t even talk to JG about the possibility of a trade .. dick move

Silver might be up Goff's ass, but I doubt he was present during the exit interviews involving McVay, Snead and Goff.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Silver might be up Goff's ass, but I doubt he was present during the exit interviews involving McVay, Snead and Goff.
He might be ... but goff doesn’t seem the type of person to make shit up ... and it speaks volumes the way mcvay and Snead conducted themselves during the whole saga

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
These guys have spent years working closely together (Goff/McVay)...

If there was tension, which now appears there was, the whole team would see it.... almost certainly the backstory for the inconstancy we saw from week to week.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He might be ... but goff doesn’t seem the type of person to make shit up ... and it speaks volumes the way mcvay and Snead conducted themselves during the whole saga

No one's saying Goff made shit up.

But the Silver piece is decidedly one-sided. It presents Goff as a victim... as if he got caught up in circumstance and cast aside in the hard scrabble world of professional football.

C'mon.

The only part in this that I agree wasn't cool was the not giving Goff a vote of confidence when their plan was unless they could upgrade the position with limited opportunities (turns out 2 of the 3 aren't on the market), he was going to return and compete with Wolford and I was in the camp firmly believing he'd win that competition.

Not sure what their plan was if a trade wasn't worked out. And since there wasn't a definite plan to even trade Goff, why would the org tell him that they "might" trade him? I'm confused about that.

Still, as much as we ask what did McVay do to adjust and acknowledge the effect of a deteriorating OL and less production from Gurley... What did Goff do?

As others have mentioned, after 2016, he went to Tom House at USC to improve his throwing motion and just be a better thrower. We heard a bunch about his steps to improve.

I dunno what he did this past off-season beyond "working on his footwork" which is odd because his footwork was only worse in 2016.

I don't blame Goff entirely. I don't. If any do, they're wrong.

But Goff HAS to shoulder a fair bit of the blame here. You have to know that if you sign a 9 figure deal, that comes with tremendous responsibility.

AD signed one and worked even harder. Same with Jalen Ramsey.

We're here 24/7/365.

Where are the stories of Goff grinding? Doing the extra? Leading?

Here was the final tip off for me. When Wolford fought for the 1st down in the Cards game, the entire sideline ERUPTED. I immediately thought..."wow, Goff has lost this team" At least since after the Super Bowl, we've not ever seen anything like that for Goff.

Goff fought through a surgery to play and WIN in Seattle. Where were his teammates? Where was everyone to congratulate him on what a dawg he was to tough it out? The most we got was tepid acknowledgments.

I really, really like Goff and of all the jerseys in my house, I only have two of ONE player's jersey. And that's Goff's. So it's not like I'm a Goff hater. FAR, FAR from it.

But Goff's not in any way a victim here.

And that's with the bizarre way both McVay and Snead acted after the GB loss... which I have no explanation for.

But the idea that folks are all, but canonizing him is just silly.

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's what I have been saying for a long time. Our coaches and front office people can't wait to get the fuck out of here.
OCs have little impact on our team and just do what they are told. They all split after one year, I wouldn't be surprised if they were out job hunting halfway thru their first seasons. Bones called a play on his own and left after the season and our ST went from top in the league to bottom. Goff has regressed every year when our coaches leave. Goff audibled a play and caught hell on national tv and is gone. The only thing McVay doesn't totally control is our defense.

Snead has run the team in the ground with his shitty contract decisions and would have been gone long ago on most teams. The team belittles Goff in front of the national media and then trades him. Think their bullshit hurt his value a little. They do a lot of stupid shit.

They let Wade Phillips, John Fassell, and Skip Peete go. And the special teams unit wasn't at the top last year.

Brandon Staley - Defensive Coordinator to Head Coach
Aubrey Pleasant - CBs coach to Secondary Coach
Shane Waldron - Passing game Coordinator to Offensive Coordinator
Liam Coen - Assistant QB Coach to Offensive Coordinator (Kentucky)
Matt Lafleur & Zac Taylor are now Head Coaches
Ejiro Evero, the safeties coach is about to be interviewed for a Defensive Coordinator position.

The only potential departure that may seem like a demotion to some is Joe Barry
Assistant Head Coach/ Linebackers to Defensive Passing Game Coordinator / LB Coach.

But, that's only if his Assistant Head Coach title was really a thing and just a title given out to keep others from grabbing him which has been the norm around the league for year. But, even if it wasn't, his reason could very well be that he's been turned down for the defensive coordinator position twice now. (Thank God).

The team just lost a divisional playoff game is run into the ground?????

Ellard80

Legend

The article doesn't say a whole lot - just that mcvay never told goff they were actively trying to trade him.

Thats they way it typicaly works - not just in the nfl. Unless the players has a no trade clause or the players is asking for a trade.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
Gonna play a little devil's advocate here.

Think about it, you're an assistant that doesn't move up the ladder, and there are other opportunities out there for more money. Would you take them?

You're Sean McVay, doing everything it takes to maintain a winning team, and you have to micromanage a QB, be in his ear constantly before the play. The QB screws up, throws picks, takes sack fumbles, misses open receivers, throws behind others, hesitates to run on rollouts, can't handle pressure up the middle, has slow decision making, all several times during the season, with PFF's 3rd best offensive line. How frustrated could that make you? Imagine us as fans feeling it, complaining about it, making excuses for it. It's in concentrated form with McVay in the front row seat, knowing internally what he knows about the situation. And he gets to a point where blaming himself all the time is not going to instill confidence in his team that he's the proper leader. He and Goff are in their 4th seasons of winning with no SB trophy. There comes a point.

Now, imagine a veteran QB that doesn't need micromanaging, or constant tutoring if you will, being brought in to relieve McVay of that huge responsibility, allowing him to concentrate more on play calls and or/work on other things besides hand-holding. Yes communication with the QB is important, but how far does that need to go? McVay has tried to make it work on the younger player. Developed him to a point where he should be better and reach his potential.

Yes the Rams are obviously a playoff team, and they have some of the league's best players talent-wise. They should do so much more with the talent and skill that they have. Getting swept by an inferior heavily injured 9er team in the division 2x in a row is not an option. It's a situation that should not happen. Going up to Seattle for the division title and failing is taking a step backwards. What factors were holding this team back? Where was the killer instinct in these important games? Does it all fall on Goff. Not really, but he was a factor that made the decision to part with him a reality.

Now the way they did it, possibly not telling Goff, being sneaky, could be called callous, underhanded, deceiving, or worse. But what if the trade falls through? How will that effect Goff knowing his team doesn't want him but he's stuck there? How would that play out?

I'm just trying to see the overall picture. Being sneaky about talking to teams and not to the player happens in sports. There have been billions of trades that didn't happen, without the player involved fully knowing, or maybe just hearing possible rumors. The Lakers almost imploded in a pre-trade drama when their players learned their team wanted to trade them but were stuck there as the trade didn't happen.... before righting the ship and winning the title the next season. (after bringing in a proven star player, I might add)

When the sports trade is made, with all the sneakiness to try and prevent a blowup is involved, the GM and/or head coach will then call the player and pour on all the courteous outgoing accolades and respect as the player is heading out. Sure, all likely a smokescreen rather than telling the unwanted player that they lost confidence in them, but still respectful. That happens in sports all the time. (Good luck, we like you, but we don't want you in our future).

The situation in Detroit was different in that both Stafford and management agreed on the move with no ill will. There were many suitors for a player of Stafford's caliber. With Goff it wasn't as easy, as who would want to eat the bloated contract of a player who is not a top 10 quarterback. Who among us thought the Rams could so easily get rid of that heavy burden? It looked near impossible. The Rams had to gift other teams to take him. Expensive gifts. Here's your future, if you can help us fix ours.

No one is blowing up the team. Snead and McVay are constantly tweaking and trying to improve the team after SB and playoff failures. Sure they have made the mistakes of overpaying players and eating 1st rounders. They put themselves in the situation of not being able to keep players because of their salary cap issues with overpaid stars who failed to contribute based on what they were being paid. They made their bed and have had to sleep in it. They've obviously had to pay for their mistakes in lost millions and draft capita. But the Rams are still actively pursuing the goal to a title rather than merely sitting on the fact that McVay has 4 straight winning seasons and a 36-0 record when leading at halftime. They have not been the best team in the playoffs so far.

We'll see what kind of QB Goff is in Detroit without the fancy offense, the coach in his ear before every play, and most of all the talent. On the other hand, will he be relieved of the pressures McVay had on him and free to play with what he has inherently learned along with his natural talent on a mostly talentless team? He has to learn a new offense for starters. Develop his timing with new receivers. 1st round picks don't always work, they don't always contribute the first year. The Lions are only in phase one of a rebuild that could take a few years to even get to a winning season. It could be rough for Goff. And then what, does he get shipped to a third team? These instances are all in the cards. And the Rams are playing poker to win it all.

nighttrain

Legend

"Where are the stories of Goff grinding? Doing the extra? Leading?
"

Didn't do it, much like the men from the Shawshank movie
train

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Hard to feel sorry for the star players that have been cut/traded. If anything, Goff, Gurley and Cooks should be sending Snead flowers for all of the $$$ he gave them.

I was sad to see TG go. It felt weird and I was uneasy about it. Same with this Goff situation. I think we get so attached to these guys that we always give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they can raise their level of play to meet the high standards that now exist in LA.

Coaches do not have that luxury....especially this one and his goofy GM. They are absolutely in WIN NOW mode after all of the picks they have spent and all of the dead money they are stuck with. Snead gets a hell of a lot of credit on here, some warranted and some I think is short sighted. Kudos on the Ramsey trade. That is a no doubter there. But the TG and Goff contracts set us back a ways...and they didn't even need to happen!!

Snead has, at this point, given up FOUR 1st ROUND PICKS FOR GOFF.....and he isn't even on the roster anymore!!!

If the Rams implode with injuries or just don't play well next year, Snead will get plenty of the blame...as well he should. McVay will also share that blame. What Snead has done the past 2 years is unsustainable....and again....these were contracts that we did not NEED TO WRITE!!!

If the Rams fail to make a deep run next year, the bloom will be off that rose and there will be some uneasy times at Rams park. Hopefully they run the jewels on these suckers in the NFC next year and we celebrate another SB victory. That would be amazing and would make all of the drama worth it. Even if it means they have to start a semi rebuild after.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to feel sorry for the star players that have been cut/traded. If anything, Goff, Gurley and Cooks should be sending Snead flowers for all of the $$$ he gave them.

I was sad to see TG go. It felt weird and I was uneasy about it. Same with this Goff situation. I think we get so attached to these guys that we always give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they can raise their level of play to meet the high standards that now exist in LA.

Coaches do not have that luxury....especially this one and his goofy GM. They are absolutely in WIN NOW mode after all of the picks they have spent and all of the dead money they are stuck with. Snead gets a hell of a lot of credit on here, some warranted and some I think is short sighted. Kudos on the Ramsey trade. That is a no doubter there. But the TG and Goff contracts set us back a ways...and they didn't even need to happen!!

Snead has, at this point, given up FOUR 1st ROUND PICKS FOR GOFF.....and he isn't even on the roster anymore!!!

If the Rams implode with injuries or just don't play well next year, Snead will get plenty of the blame...as well he should. McVay will also share that blame. What Snead has done the past 2 years is unsustainable....and again....these were contracts that we did not NEED TO WRITE!!!

If the Rams fail to make a deep run next year, the bloom will be off that rose and there will be some uneasy times at Rams park. Hopefully they run the jewels on these suckers in the NFC next year and we celebrate another SB victory. That would be amazing and would make all of the drama worth it. Even if it means they have to start a semi rebuild after.

An aside about Gurley:

Many here had a similar reaction to this Goff trade when he was cut. McVay/Snead were clearly right to move on from him.

Wonder if all the people who freaked out about it have started a thread somewhere to admit they were wrong? BTW this isn't directed at you, just your comment about TG made me think about it.

Ellard80

Legend
An aside about Gurley:

Many here had a similar reaction to this Goff trade when he was cut. McVay/Snead were clearly right to move on from him.

Wonder if all the people who freaked out about it have started a thread somewhere to admit they were wrong? BTW this isn't directed at you, just your comment about TG made me think about it.

yeah that got dropped pretty fast.. their were PLENTY of posters what were blaming McVay for that one also.

That Gurley was still great and that McVay just didn't want to use him.

Gurley barely played in the final handful of games this season.. because of knee issues and lack of production.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
An aside about Gurley:

I wasn't against the move, and I knew it was coming...I just felt....weird about it, ya know? These guys brought us an NFC title and were such a fucking glorious turnaround from the shit we suffered through for 10+ years prior. It was kind of sad to see the OG crew starting to get released/traded.....but that's life in the Not For Long.

Psycho_X

Legend
yeah that got dropped pretty fast.. their were PLENTY of posters what were blaming McVay for that one also.

That Gurley was still great and that McVay just didn't want to use him.

Gurley barely played in the final handful of games this season.. because of knee issues and lack of production.

What was annoying was watching TG's passive aggressive tweets all last summer taking shots at the Rams. Or Brandin Cooks this weekend. They should be eternally grateful that they got a BIG post rookie contract before TGs knee turned him into a JAG in the NFL or Cooks concussions sidelines him permanently. Personally, I'm glad we have a coach and front office that doesn't let themselves get bogged down with sunk cost fallacy, emotion or hopes that a player might recover past glory. I don't understand people who think Goff was owed something from McVay or Snead. All three of them got paid and then became liabilities or performed below expectations. Don't get mad when the coach and front office don't sit around and hope you turn into a player from previous seasons. All three should be grateful. Disappointed... sure. But grateful.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What was annoying was watching TG's passive aggressive tweets all last summer taking shots at the Rams. Or Brandin Cooks this weekend. They should be eternally grateful that they got a BIG post rookie contract before TGs knee turned him into a JAG in the NFL or Cooks concussions sidelines him permanently. Personally, I'm glad we have a coach and front office that doesn't let themselves get bogged down with sunk cost fallacy, emotion or hopes that a player might recover past glory. I don't understand people who think Goff was owed something from McVay or Snead. All three of them got paid and then became liabilities or performed below expectations. Don't get mad when the coach and front office don't sit around and hope you turn into a player from previous seasons. All three should be grateful. Disappointed... sure. But grateful.

I'll even say this: paying Gurley was the right thing to do. He was, by virtue of the award, the second best offensive player in the NFL in 2017 (and probably really the best if we're being honest).

We paid Gurley IMO in part because he so vastly outplayed his rookie contract.

But you're right - and I'd hope that as he sits around somewhere this off season contemplating life, that he shoots Snead a text saying "dude....thank you. If you guys wouldn't have paid me early, I'd have lost out on $30 million because of my knee."

btfd16

Rookie
To be honest, I don't think you can be a successful head coach without at least some degree of asshole/psycho

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Not sure if this was posted yet, but....

Bummed out to hear Goff is feeling bitter about how it ended. Yeah, I tended to minimize the drama at the end, but after reading this article, I honestly wish McVay had done more to smooth things over.

Maybe there really is something we don’t know about?

Really looking forward to when McVay comes forward with something conciliatory about Goff. Yeah, there are tampering rules, but there’s no rule about just saying a few appreciative things about a player... right?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think when all is said and done, no one will come out smelling like a rose and ultimately this will be a learning experience for everyone.

That said, I'm glad Jared is embracing this new opportunity. He's already the 2nd best QB in that division and if they build it right, he could be in the right place at the right time.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME

Bummed out to hear Goff is feeling bitter about how it ended. Yeah, I tended to minimize the drama at the end, but after reading this article, I honestly wish McVay had done more to smooth things over.

Really looking forward to when McVay comes forward with something conciliatory about Goff. Yeah, there are tampering rules, but there’s no rule about just saying a few appreciative things about a player... right?

Well that made me feel a bit...now I’m sad. Football aside, it does suck to see him go.

Bearrister

Rookie

The sense I got from reading that article as well as the Mike Silver piece is that there was poor communication. It seems like McVay and Snead didn’t communicate with Goff once the season was done, nor did they directly reach out to him to explain or say anything about their “he’s our QB right now” and “what’s today? January 26? That’s obvious, that’s a fact” comments. So ultimately he found out about about their sentiment at the same time we all did. Then on top of that those comments (especially Snead’s) led to a renewed field day of the media crushing Goff.

The main lesson out of this - communication is important, even if it’s to talk about difficult stuff.

The other sense I get is that given how abruptly everything happened, there’s little sense of closure for Goff. Years ago my then-fiancée (now wife) and I had to abruptly move from the Bay Area back to LA. Without getting into too many details, I literally went from living there for almost 10 years to moving back to LA in less than a month. We loved living in the Bay and in a lot of ways we weren’t ready to leave, but we had to because of work. I recall feeling a lack of “closure” that I didn’t really come to terms with for a few years.

Not a perfect analogy, but I’d imagine Goff has similar feelings. Maybe someday they’ll be able to directly hash out where things went wrong. I’m sure all sides will realize there were things they could’ve handled differently.