What 49ers Fans Are Saying Before The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/25/j...an-john-lynch-san-francisco-49ers-nfl-week-16

Jimmy Garoppolo at the Helm of a Late-Season Revivial in San Francisco
By ALBERT BREER

THEARON W. HENDERSON/GETTY IMAGES SPORT

In September, 49ers GM John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan, knowing they had a massive rebuild ahead of them, did what they could to keep their young team positive, so they made an effort to applaud the little victories along the way. Less than four months later, after San Francisco’s 25–23 win over Tennessee in Week 15, it was the quarterback who wasn’t there for that, Jimmy Garoppolo, illustrating just how far the team had come—not to mention where he might be capable of taking them.

This was the Niners’ third straight victory after a 1–10 start, and yet Garoppolo was resigned to leave Lynch with this after beating the Titans: “We can be so much better.”

“He’s got that New England in him, and that’s what I noticed when I was in New England for a short time,” says Lynch, polishing off a Bud Light after the Niners took out another contender in the Jaguars on Sunday. “It’s not that they don’t celebrate and appreciate the wins, but they always look at what they could’ve done better. He really has that down. And that’s contagious in my mind, particularly when you play that position.

“It’s made a really young football team, with a bunch of rookies playing, take that perspective. Kyle [Shanahan] does a great job with that anyway, but you get special in this league, when not only your coaches are doing it, but it’s coming from the players Jimmy really has a great grasp of that. I’m sure tomorrow—Christmas—he’ll be looking at things we could’ve done better against Jacksonville. That’s something you might’ve expected but to see its influence on a team has been special and cool.”

It’s important to remember and emphasize here—the Niners are still 5–10, after a 44–33 win against the Jaguars on Christmas Eve, and with their season ending next week, Lynch and Shanahan still have plenty of work to do when it comes to building the roster up to the level of a potential contender.

But as we wrap up the second-to-last Sunday of the regular season … Man, it’s tough not to get swept away in what the future might hold in San Francisco. The 2017 season has seen quite a bit of change, which we’ll see on display in the playoffs in a couple of weeks. The Rams won their division and have the inside track for the NFC’s No. 3 seed.

Yet, there are few things out there more intriguing than Tom Brady’s understudy, his 38-year-old head coach and their non-traditional GM somehow, and very suddenly, turning the NFL on its ear in Week 16. Remember, Garoppolo sat for four weeks before becoming the starter. Since then? The Niners are 4–0, and Garoppolo’s passer rating is hovering near 100.

“The verbiage, all of that, it took some time,” Lynch says. “But the poise, the way the guys respond to him, it became obvious. I think the best compliment you can make to a player and to a leader—do you make people around you better? And it was very obvious from Day 1, he makes everybody better. I mean, he makes our crowd better. This place has been juiced ever since he got here. It’s sure fun right now.”

Maybe even less likely is what’s happened in Los Angeles behind the youngest coach in NFL history—31-year-old Sean McVay—and his suddenly swaggering Rams.

Fresh off a beatdown of the Seahawks, McVay’s group went nose-to-nose with a truckload of letdown potential. They were traveling cross-country. They were facing an unfamiliar opponent. It was Christmas Eve. But none of it mattered.

On the bus ride to the Nashville airport after a division-clinching 27–23 win, team COO Kevin Demoff texted, “Sean and Todd Gurley—two special human beings.”

Overshadowed for much of the season by the rise of second-year quarterback Jared Goff, Gurley exploded, again, for 118 yards on 22 carries and 158 yards on 10 catches, including a spectacular 80-yard touchdown that amounted to his vision turning a screen pass into a track meet. Gurley’s now leading the league with 2,093 yards from scrimmage. And he might be the league MVP, if not for Tom Brady.

And the crazy thing is, Gurley and the Rams might be upstaged next week in facing a team that’s six games behind them in the NFC West.

Both the Niners and Rams (a combined 6–26 last year) boast a 4–1 record since Thanksgiving, and the idea that Garoppolo’s crew could mess with Los Angeles’ seeding and send their rivals into the playoffs on a sour note isn’t exactly far-fetched. That’s mainly because there are these things that keep happening with the Niners that make you forget what a mess they’ve been the last few years.

One of those was Garoppolo’s last touchdown pass Sunday—a five-yarder he flicked sidearm around oncoming Jaguar corner Aaron Colvin, and against his body while rolling left, into the belly of waiting receiver Trent Taylor—to put the game away.

“He’s made a lot of those,” Lynch says. “Even that first game against Seattle, he went to his left and, at first, you’re going, ‘My gosh, is that a smart throw?’ But he’s extremely confident, and he gets it in small windows because he can. It gets it out so quick, and he’s highly accurate even when he’s rolling both to the right and the left. And he’s a really good foot athlete, so he can escape.”

In a larger sense, he’s quite literally breathing life into a Niner franchise that was progressing under Lynch and Shanahan but could use the jolt.

“This place is coming to life again, man,” Lynch continued. “It’s really fun. A couple weeks ago, I’m not a big Twitter guy, but I was tweeting like I never have, because I just want this young team to feel like this is what happens when you play well.”

They’ll all get one more week of it before the reality of the offseason hits next Monday. All this fun will be on hold for another eight months, and the team will need to figure out how it’ll use all its draft picks and the $100 million in cap space burning a hole in its 2018 pockets.

But comparatively? This is pretty good. The last three offseasons kicked off with coaching searches in Santa Clara. This one will kick off with a contract negotiation with the quarterback that’s taken a month to win over a region.

“Great problem to have,” Lynch says. “Everyone’s looking for that guy, and we feel like we’ve got him in the building. We’re gonna do everything we can, and we have great respect for his representation in Don [Yee], and we’re gonna get to work. He has great perspective, he’s been through this before. We’ll get together and try to make it happen.

“We’ll probably have to have some patience, because these things don’t happen right away, but we’re gonna make every effort to get this done and secure him and make him a Niner for a long time to come.”

And remember how Lynch expects Garoppolo to spend his Christmas? It’s a pretty good indicator that all that money will be well-spent.
------------
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/12/26/16818996/nfl-playoff-picture-week-17-rams-49ers

Maybe the Rams choose to take it easy in Week 17?
The 49ers travel to face the Rams to close out the season
By David Fucillo

898126562.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

The NFL is heading into Week 17 with a lot less drama than we’ve had in recent years. Seven of the eight division winners are determined, and the biggest matchups will be for the final wild card berth in the AFC.

The San Francisco 49ers travel to face the Los Angeles Rams in Week 17, and it remains to be seen just how much the Rams will want to win this game. They have won the NFC West, but due to tiebreakers, cannot earn a first round bye. They are locked in to either the third or fourth seed depending on who wins the NFC South.

The question for 49ers fans is how much the Rams will want to win on Sunday vs. rest their players for wild card weekend. As the three seed, the Rams would host the Atlanta Falcons or Seattle Seahawks, and with a win advance to face the second-seeded Minnesota Vikings.

As the four seed, the Rams would host either New Orleans or Carolina, depending on who does not win the NFC South. With a win their divisional round opponent would depend on who wins the 3/6 game. If the three seed wins, the Rams would face the top seeded Philadelphia Eagles. If the six seed win, they would face the Vikings.

All of this is to say, do they see this as the best chance to position themselves to face the Eagles in the second round? Or do they just play to win and let the chips fall where they may?

I would much prefer the 49ers get everything the Rams have to offer. It would give them a bigger challenge to close out the season than if the Rams rest some of their starters. My guess is McVay plays for the win, but we’ll see what he has to say later this week.
----------
I hope they bring their A game
we just beat one of the best teams in the AFC, now I want to see how we play against the NFC’s best.
--------
3rd seed much more favorable than 4th
I don’t think they pull many starters
---------
If the Rams win during wild-card weekend, of the other teams that would be playing on divisional-weekend of the playoffs with the third seed they would have home field advantage against one of the three. They would need a lower-seeded team playing on the road win an upset.

Also, maybe the Eagles are a nicer playoff draw right now without Wentz, though I don’t think many NFL players/coaches have that mentality. My biggest fear is that Seattle somehow makes it in and beats up on a weakened Eagles team to get in the NFC Championship game.
----------
Maybe they do make it easier...
that doesn’t mean that we wouldn’t beat them otherwise.
-----------
It’s a new rivalry that is starting this year, I don’t really want the Rams to go easy on us
----------
I would rest some of the their players, but goff and the offense need to play( minus gurley). They are a young team that needs the reps in my opinion.
---------
I’ve seen coaches rest the starters and lose the first playoff game. Maybe you start your starters and play them for a half, then trott in the backups. I dunno.. I think it depends on the temperature of the team. For this game tho… I don’t care.

I’ll take a W against the rams any day of the week and twice on Sundays, and I hope we dominate and win by more than just a little! That would give the rams something to look forward to going into the playoffs!
--------
trying to manipulate seeding is a fool’s errand. if you’re worrying about who you might be playing, or not playing, you’ve pretty much lost already. the mindset has to be, they don’t care. beat whoever’s in front of you. in order to be the best, you have to beat the best.
----------
The Rams
could do the sensible thing and rest some of their starters for the playoffs.

Or they could still be butt hurt about being the only team the Niners beat last year and play to win.

I’m thinkin’ they’ll go with their starters until they get a lead and then pull them.

In other words, their starters are playing the whole game because the Rams are goin’ down.
---------
The Rams and 49ers rivalry is coming back to prominence. These two teams could be battling it out for control of the division for the next several seasons….but we aren’t there just yet.

It would go a long way to beat the Rams this Sunday. I’d love to send them into the playoffs with their tails between their legs, licking their wounds.

This rivalry could be epic. Two of the best offensive minds in th NFL, with good defenses, going toe-to-toe. It’s been too long.
----------
I would love nothing more than to dominate the rams so thoroughly that they pull Goff! I say, send them into the playoffs trying ever so hard to convince themselves that they were dominated in a game that didn’t matter!

..And my 2017 football season would be complete!!

Jimmy G Baby!!
-----------
Maybe the 49ers take it easy on the Rams
and rest a few starters. a few more than the Rams do. To keep the game competitive and allow the Rams to feel the full psychological impact of getting Jimmy G’d.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They'll franchise him.

The Patriots wanted to do right by him and traded him to the 49ers instead of the Browns. San Francisco is going to be very good and that's okay because the Rams are going to be better.

CVita

UDFA
Name
Chris
Pretty cocky fans after a few wins. I remember some of our fans feeling this way about Austin Davis. Garoppolo could be great. He also could be the next Blaine Gabbert. Goff was written off by many as a bust after 7 games. Jimmy G is being compared to Montana after 4. I've also heard people say Colin Kaepernick was headed to Canton after year 1. I, for one hope he sucks after being infected by the Patriots and 49ers. You can't wash that filth off.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
So a couple of things. First their fans are right up there with Pat's and Eagles fans. Nough said.
Second, Mcbae is gonna sit his starters in a game that doesn't matter so why even talk trash?
Third, Garoppolo has played a handful of games and people are crowning him the next Marino , elway ??? Are you effing kidding me. I wish the kid success but let's see how he plays once teams have some film on him. It's always easy to look good against bad teams and against a Jax team that already won their division. Let's see how they do next season before we crown anyone with those kind of comparisons

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
This epic thread started during the preseason of 2016 after the Rams moved to L.A. is a hoot.
************************************************************************************
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl/184984-los-angeles-rams-thread/

Los Angeles Rams thread

21356dd.jpg

-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------
It was fun kicking their asses for a while there. Good times.
-----------
ahhhh...... it used to be an automatic WIN each time we played them at Anaheim!!!
-----------
Let me guess, we should watch out for the Rams this year, right?
-----------
Can we change the title. Jeez, why are we showing respect for a team that has done nothing in LA? They lucked into a HOF QB in ST. LOUIS, and that's about it.
----------
Can it at least be in English and Spanish like everything else in LA.

"Discusion oficial de las Cabras de Los Angeles"
----------
There's no mexican rams fans, dude. Especially in LA. lol
----------
Jeff Fisher getting a contract extension LMAO
---------
Who the hell gives Jeff Fisher an extension? Great day to be a 9ers, Cardinals, and Seahawks fan.
--------
Same 'ol sorry ass Rams
bigsmile.gif

---------
Go 8-8 year after year???
----------
LOL. Hard knocks must think of the most completely boring, uninteresting team to study just as a challenge to see if they can actually pull of producing dramatic stories.
-----------
that team is gonna be soooooi distracted lol

-move to LA
-LA media (tmz)
-HBO
-game in London
---------
Someone who goes to a Ram-49er game in Los Angeles will need to report on the fan mix. I would be curious, I pretty much went to most 49er-Ram games at Anaheim stadium from 1980-1994. Each passing game had more 49er fans, where toward the end you would think the 49ers were the home team.

Of course things have changed, two years after the Rams moved to Anaheim the Raiders came to Los Angeles taking away fans. In that time frame the 49ers won 5 Super Bowls and dominated the Rams in head to head match ups. Just wondering if the make up of those crowds were mostly real 49er fans or bandwagon 49er fans?

For the record I would go to non-49er games just to root against the Rams and laugh how bad they got. At Anaheim stadium toward the end of the Rams you could buy "scalped" tickets at less than face value in the parking lot. Had a good Ram fan friend who was broke who would be a designated driver and accompany me as long as I was buying. Oh the memories, those were the days.
-----------
Apr 14, 2016

Holy s**t. They traded the house for the #1 pick.
eek.gif

---------
Lololololoololololol they traded, what like 5 or 6 players for one qb in a mediocre qb year. This is fantastic.
---------
Horrible move on the Rams part
-----------
Holy crap. 2 firsts, seconds and third round picks to the titans. I didn't realize any GM was dumb enough to do that to their own team.
----------
I hate the Rams, remember Fisher was more than happy to hand us the last game.
----------
Goff is good but I doubt he turns into a Arod.

Its okay though, I am comfortable with Gabs at QB. Chip made Foles and Bradford looks like Tom Brady so I believe he can do the same with Gabbert.

Lets just focus on protecting him and surrounding him with talent. All he will have to do is get the ball into the playmakers' hands
---------
Poor goff
sad.gif

f**k you lambs!
flingcomp.gif
irate.gif

---------
Except if Goff or Wentz actually develop into great QBs, than it was worth it. Very risky move, and hopefully for us it won't work out.
---------
I f**king hate the Rams. The 49ers will struggle at qb for several years after missing out on the top 2 this year. That's a horrible deal for the rams, but it screws us in the worst way, so maybe not so bad from their perspective.
--------
You would think if any team got fleeced in a trade, it would not be the Rams. But it is apropos that they got an RGIII type screw job, considering they were the ones that inflicted that before.
----------
Their o-line has been garbage for years and a new QB won't suddenly fix that.

Just ask Sam Bradford.
----------
I'm guessing very few Niner fans around here are worrying about the Rams.
----------
Fisher is kind of arrogant though simply thinking stout defense and running game is going to put them over the top. He's probably looking at the Broncos last year thinking his team is set up to basically do the same thing, if Goff is ready or not.
----------
Jul 30, 2016

Jared Goff not exactly looking crisp in 11 on 11 drills. Followed up a fumbled snap w/ an Int. #day1
---------
We're gonna eat this dude alive week 1
----------
Goff never called a play in a huddle including HS/College

Goff doesn't know which direction the sun rises
---------
From that 1st episode of Hard Knocks, I don't think Fisher will last long, especially if he keeps clowning on players who have an injury.
----------
Goff wasn't even that great in college
----------
194mfb.png

-----------
Rams are the worst team in the league but will beat the Hawks next week
-----------
1688ml0.png

------------
2cxdq28.jpg

-----------
screenshot_20160914-092924-png.16331

------------
they're a new coaching staff away from being legit. enjoy kicking their ass while you can. Wont be long till they're beating our asses.
-----------
2uiw0pg.png

----------
I think the Rams are the new Browns.
**********************************************************************************
You get the picture. 49ers fans had every reason to laugh at and ridicule the Rams. Let's jump ahead to the hiring of Sean McVay and Wade Phillips in 2017. The worm turns. :)
Jan 17, 2017

Rams will release Kenny Britt...
------------
Let's get him
--------------
LOL the 49ers were a 2-14 team last season.......hmmmm where did our two wins come from, oh that's right.
----------
Rams gonna be good. They heavily upgraded on head coach and they have a load of talent. Only problem is that they should have gone with a better veteran QB and sat Goff until late this year or ready for next year.
----------
Should've signed Kaepernick
yawn.gif

----------
I think the Rams D is going to be REAL good due to their DC who imo is the very best 3-4 dc in the NFL (though I think he's got personality issues because despite always having dominant defenses he hasn't been able to stick for more than a few years at any one spot, and has actually been out of football for a season here and there), but I don't think they have the right HC or QB. McVay is gonna burn out Lane Kiffin style. Too young, too inexperienced, and likely to be real good for someone else

I personally think that our two teams have a LOT in common right now, but are also very different teams. The fact that Kiffin was reportedly a strong candidate for the 49ers job, and also the speculation that the 49ers FO essentially tricked the Rams into making a rush decision to hire McVay by feigning serious interest in McVay, kind of links our two teams in an odd way in my mind.

I think a lot of people have the Rams ahead in the rebuild process, but I think those people are probably wrong and the Rams are likely to continue to flounder. They have had really really bad drafts the last few years wasting a ton of draft capital by either giving up a ton of picks to move up for mediocre players (twice imo), or by wasting the capital gained by trading down on busts.

Either way I look forward to comparing our progress against theirs.
----------
The more video I see of McVay, especially video of him talking to the players, the more it becomes clear he's too young for the job. I like McVay for the obvious ties to the 49ers, but I think he's in over his head.
-----------
Shanny gonna school his young azz
----------
Les Snead is a dead man walking
---------
Sep 22, 2017

So I was impressed with McVay in last nights game. He has his team playing well. Phillips is an obvious asset on defense. Their D was disciplined. In the 1st meeting McVay1, Shanahan0, though imo it would be opposite had the refs not jobbed us on that last opi call.
---------
Same ol 7-9 Rams
---------
Yeah, Goff and the offense are looking great this season, but the state of the defense has to be concerning. They've given up 69 points over the last 2 games.
---------
Todd Gurley looking like an MVP candidate and definitely making it easy on Goff.
---------
Damn this team is legit. But I can't hate them, they're not a team full of a*****es. Gurley is legit now that he has a competent offense.
---------
Gurley is a humble dude. He is a good interview too bad he is a LA Lambchop.
----------
It's clear they will win the NFC West this year at the pace they are going.

Also if they indeed get the division and are not in position for a higher seed come week 17, there could be a guaranteed W by then if we still need one.
cool.gif

----------
These 2017 Rams remind of the 2011 Niners. Talent was already in place just needed the right coaching staff to get everything clicking.
---------
Only difference is they score a s**t ton more points than the 2011 Niners did (thanks to Harbaugh's slightly suped-up version of Bo Schembechler's archaic offensive philosophy).
----------
Rams will be one and done in the playoffs
----------
Unbelievable. Had the division locked up today too and blew it. After 10 years of top 10 defensive picks and still can't stop anyone.

They'll lose to Seattle now and give up the division.

Hell, we might beat them and completely knock them out of the playoffs.
-----------
Congrats Rams fans!!!

Kick your ass next year...but enjoy this year.
---------
Talk about smacking Seattle in the mouth!!!
wow.gif

---------
The Rams aren't the most hate-able team since the Michael Irvin Cowboys like that loathsome Seattle team, so I think we can all enjoy that awesome @$$ kicking they pulled off yesterday.

BTW, there's a better than decent chance that the only thing the Rams will have to play for in Week 17 is maintaining the #3 seed vs. dropping to #4. If you're #4 and #3 also wins, you get to play Philly in the divisional round as opposed to what appears to be a stronger Minnesota team. Do you merely act like you're trying to win the Niners game so as to not motivate Philly (not to mention your wild card opponent) but still try to lose it nevertheless?

You'd either have to eventually play Minnesota anyway or you'd have to travel to New Orleans and you'd be giving up the chance at playing the NFC Championship at home if you somehow got past Minnesota in the divisional.

BTW, you can tell I don't think Philly has much of a chance against the Rams or the Saints.
-----------
If we continue trending upwards and I imagine the Rams do as well... these games could become epic as F***
----------
It would be nice to have a real rivalry with the Rams again after these stupid distracting years with the Seahawks.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL Their fan base is second to none, such an ignorant sack of turds. That post gave me a hundred more reasons to hate them.

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
Or they could still be butt hurt about being the only team the Niners beat last year and play to win.

there is nothing similar between this years Rams and last years Rams, so I really don't think they give a fuck about 2016

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I like what they did by getting gsrapolo, alot more proven than a rookie qb that they would draft..but now the rest of the leauge has seen jimmy G and he will be asking for alot of money

Niners have some good young pieces but they are not going to be getting in our way for a few years.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1...fl-power-ranking-comparison-for-49ers-vs-rams

Week 17 NFL power ranking comparison for 49ers vs. Rams
We’ve got a look at Week 17 media power rankings. The 49ers are on the upswing
By David Fucillo

The NFL is about set to wrap up the 2017 regular season. All 16 games will take place on Sunday, and the NFL has removed a Sunday Night Football game from the slate to ensure competitive balance for playoff spots. There are a host of AFC teams competing for a wild card berth, and all of them will be playing at the same time.

The San Francisco 49ers are back in action one last time this weekend as they travel to Southern California to face the Los Angeles Rams. It’s a fitting close to the season. The 49ers are not going to the playoffs, but we are seeing quite the resurgence in the NFC West. The Rams have claimed the division crown, while the 5-10 49ers are looking nothing like the team that opened the season 1-10. Four straight wins with Jimmy Garoppolo at the helm will do that.

We’re back with a look at Week 17 NFL power rankings around the media, and I’m sticking with the look at our media sources for both the 49ers and Rams. Last week, the 49ers had their biggest matchup of the year, and put a hurting on the Jacksonville Jaguars No. 1-ranked defense. The 49ers almost blew the game late, but they held on for a 44-33 win that has most everybody plenty optimistic.

This week, the 49ers face a Rams team that is coming off back-to-back road wins, including a 42-7 thumping of the Seattle Seahawks. With Carson Wentz done for the year, the Rams, Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints are arguably the three best teams heading into the NFC playoff. The Rams seem just a step off in this, but Todd Gurley and that defense could carry them far. Jared Goff is playing good football, but if they win the Super Bowl it will be because of the defense and/or Todd Gurley.

The Rams are going to be either the third or fourth seed after this weekend. It remains to be seen what they will do with some of their starters. I am hoping we see them all out there for purposes of evaluating the 49ers, but either way, a fifth straight win to close out the season would be a strong message for 2018.

SB Nation: 13 (Rams: 5)

49ers: In a week where playoff scenarios dominate the NFL news cycle, the 49ers have reason to be extremely optimistic, despite getting eliminated from postseason contention a month ago. And it’s all because of Jimmy Garoppolo.

The former Patriots quarterback had people buzzing with his two-minute drill to beat the Titans, but putting up 44 points on the top-rated Jaguars defense is even more impressive. And it has hopes sky high in San Francisco. No team has a longer winning streak than the 49ers, and the Garoppolo hype train is chugging along at full steam.

ESPN: 19 (Rams: 4)

49ers: Clearly the win total came well before the Jimmy Garoppolo deal. Garoppolo is now 4-0 as the starter in San Francisco, the only undefeated quarterback in the league since Week 13.

Rams: You know you're having a special season when you hit your preseason over/under halfway through the schedule. That's what Los Angeles did this year. And while Jared Goff's improvement has been key, give some love to Todd Gurley, who eclipsed 2,000 yards from scrimmage in Week 16.

Yahoo Shutdown Corner: 19 (Rams: 2)

49ers: Niners Nation talked about the possibility of extending receiver Marquise Goodwin, who has another year left on his deal. It makes sense. Goodwin has been a great find. It’s worth it to invest now rather than pay more later. He should have a fine 2018 with a full year of Jimmy Garoppolo throwing him the ball.

Rams: In the final 12 minutes of a 27-23 game, the Rams defense got three stops in three tries against the Titans in a win that clinched a division title. Jared Goff, Todd Gurley and Sean McVay’s play-calling get a lot of the attention, but the Rams have a good defense too. This is a team without a real weakness.

SI: 15 (Rams: 5)

Last Week’s Rank: 20
Points in MMQB Power Poll: 178
Highest-Place Vote: Ninth
Lowest-Place Vote: 18th (2)
Last Week’s Result: Win vs. Jacksonville, 44-33
Week 17 Opponent: at L.A. Rams

Last Week’s Rank: 4
Points in MMQB Power Poll: 288
Highest-Place Vote: Second (2)
Lowest-Place Vote: Fifth (7)
Last Week’s Result: Win at Tennessee, 27-23
Week 17 Opponent: vs. San Francisco

Bleacher Report: 23 (Rams: 4)

49ers: Games like Sunday's show why the future is bright for the San Francisco 49ers. We got to see how special Kyle Shanahan is as an offensive play-caller. We also got to fully experience the energy he and Jimmy Garoppolo have brought to the franchise.

The Jaguars are one of the most physical teams in football, and the 49ers smacked them around early.

With Shanahan and Garoppolo on board, the 49ers have the potential to field one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL next season. They have the confidence, they have the key pieces in place, and they have a ton of cap space to utilize in free agency.

Rams: The Rams didn't have kicker Greg Zuerlein on Sunday, and that stood out. His replacement, Sam Ficken, missed an extra point and his lone field-goal attempt. Zuerlein is out for the year, and the kicker position will be something to watch moving forward. Zuerlein was a big and reliable weapon for Los Angeles.

Even with a kicking issue, the Rams are able to win in all three phases. They still have tremendous special-teams players, an opportunistic pass defense, a quality pass rush and a bevy of offensive weapons. They also have Todd Gurley, who would be my pick for NFL MVP.

A year after going just 4-12, the Rams have a legitimate shot at going to the Super Bowl.

CBS Sports: 22 (Rams: 7)

49ers: They have to be thrilled with the 4-0 start by Jimmy Garoppolo. They need to sign him to a long-term deal as soon as they can.

Rams: They are going to be a real problem for any team in the playoffs. They can run it with Todd Gurley and now the defense is playing better.

NFL.com: 15 (Rams: 4)

49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo can do no wrong right now. Win out and extend your undefeated record as an NFL starter into 2018? Sure, why not? Chuck touchdown passes sidearm? Sure, why not? Dissect the top pass defense in the league? Sure, why not? Throw in a rushing touchdown for all the chicks? Sure, why not? Stare 10,000 bands and their songs into an iPod? Sure, why ... wait, that was a Chuck Norris joke. Have your agent ask for $25 million a year this offseason? Sure, why not?

Rams: The Rams earned a quality road win Sunday, even if it was a bit closer than most pundits anticipated. Todd Gurley continued to stake his claim -- and, by extension, the claim of every overlooked running back over the years -- to the league MVP award. Ezekiel Elliott should have received serious consideration last year.

Hopefully, Gurley, who racked up 276 (276!!!!!) yards from scrimmage Sunday, will do better with the voters this year. The effort of the day, though, must go to Connor Barwin, who was all motor on that final Titans play to corral ... or upend ... or discombobulate Marcus Mariota. Heck, I don't know what to call that final sack/tumble/Vlade flop.

Washington Post: 14 (Rams: 5)

49ers: The success of QB Jimmy Garoppolo playing in Coach Kyle Shanahan’s offense provides plenty of hope for next season in Year 2 of the Niners’ new regime. The 49ers are playing like a playoff team right now. Unfortunately for them, it took them until December to get Garoppolo into the lineup.

Rams: Todd Gurley is very unlikely to be the league’s MVP. It’s difficult to imagine the award going to anyone but Tom Brady. But Gurley is having a terrific season and he certainly belongs in the conversation.

Sporting News: 22 (Rams: 6)

49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo is now 4-0 as the 49ers starter and has teammates talking about winning the Super Bowl next season.

Rams: Christmas came early for the Rams with their first NFC West championship since 2003.
---------------
I still can't get over how much fun I'm having being the fan of a 5 (hopefully 6) win team.
-----------

If McVay sits out his starters
It’s so that we don’t expose them like we did to the Jags this past weekend, which would only help playoff teams that they’ll face.
Smart man

---------
Right.

Week 17 is the only playoff bye they can get. They’ve got nothing to gain this week, win or lose, and everything to lose. Gurley, Goff or Donald gets hurt and they’re hosed.

But at the same time, I’d rather play them at full strength.

--------
this happens every year

if they lose in the playoffs, and they sit starters, everyone points back to the "rest" and claims it created "rust"; if they play starters they claim fatigue (or god forbid someone is injured).

Whatever McVay decides to do, our guys need to handle their biz. Id like to see Hyde and Reid and Tank have big days, as this could be their last in a 49er uniform.

----------
I just want to beat them. I dont care who they start.

If they don’t sit guys, let’s take them. If they do, even more of a reason to beat them.

I understand we aren’t quite there yet but I’ll tell you what….this teams expectations for next season just went through the roof. I’m hearing a lot of "playoffs or bust" takes, and that’s pretty amazing considering where this team was just a few weeks ago.

I’m looking forward to next season more than any season I can remember in recent memory.

----------
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1...e-down-rams-49ers-seahawks-cardinals-hamilton

The world turned upside down

The meek are inheriting the NFC West, as Seattle and Arizona crumble
By Mark Saltveit

851084984.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images

The 2018 winner of the NFC West will be a fast-rising team with a red-hot young quarterback, an unstoppable defensive line and an offensive genius coach who cut his teeth calling plays for Washington.

We just don’t know if it will be the San Francisco 49ers or the Los Angeles Rams. Jimmu Garoppolo, DeForest Buckner and Kyle Shanahan, or Jared Goff, Aaron Donald and Sean McVay? Either way, it’s exciting football.

Running back Carlos Hyde was practically giddy after San Francisco’s stunning domination of the 10-4 Jaguars Sunday.

I definitely want to be a part of this. Like I said, I think we got a good chance to go to the Super Bowl next year so I don’t want to go to any other team.

When asked about this comment, quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo had a curt reply:

I’ll talk to him about that. We’re dealing with the Rams next week and we’ll look at everything else after that.

Now, this sounds like standard (but true) football philosophy: one game at a time, not looking past Sunday, or as Chip Kelly likes to say, “Every game is the Super Bowl.”

But Garoppolo may also have been focusing on this new reality: the 49ers have to get past the Rams to even think about a Super Bowl next year, and that won’t be easy.

Sunday’s showdown between these rising powers kicks off the new rivalry that will dominate the NFC West for the next few years, and whoever draws first blood will have the psychological edge.

Maybe Garoppolo is focused on slapping down the Rams to show them who’s boss, right up front, before they get any notions of their own. This will be the new Battle of Yorktown that reveals a world turned upside down.

Over the last six games, it has become clear that Seattle and Arizona are falling apart, so much so that Bruce Arians is rumored to be quitting as the Cardinals coach. Even if he stays, the team faces a rebuilding year and their quarterback is Carson Palmer, who is frequently injured and older than George Blanda’s grandpa.

As for Seattle, they’re always dangerous but big contracts and a rash of injuries and weak draft picks has cut deeply into their talent pool. Here’s a thought experiment: imagine what the Seahawks would look like if Russell Wilson got injured. Ewww! That’s a disgusting picture (in your mind), isn’t it? Sorry.

Last summer, no one could have predicted these changes, but now they look inevitable in hindsight. The path to success in the NFL is simple: a franchise QB plus young stars whose inexpensive rookie contracts let you amass more talent. If that QB is relatively young, you have a Super Bowl window for a few years.

Until 2014, the NFC West was one of the league’s toughest divisions, year after year. Now that Arizona lacks a franchise quarterback and Seattle’s stars aren’t young (or cheap) any more, their decline is inevitable. But the two hottest franchises in the league are ready to battle, and their divisional rivalry will be incredibly fun to watch.
-----------
The worm Is finally turning in the NFC West.

The Rams will be the new rival and we can feast on the carcasses of what were two of the most arrogant teams in football… It will be interesting to see how long the 12’s stand by their crappy team in Seattle. I can’t wait!
----------
Arians, McVay, Carroll and Shanahan are clearly the best division of coaches. the teams’ success will follow. And i am in the minority who believes if the Cards hadnt lost the best offensive player in the league and their oline and their QB …. they would be in the playoffs.
-----------
"The Rams will be the new rival...."

Nothing new about hating on the LA Rams my friend.
Some of us old folks remember The Rams as enemy #1! I sure do.
----------
yup

pre-cowboys, the most hated team of them all. every single rams game was do-or-die

good times
---------
What I remember

Is when we were the hammer to their nail back in the 90s, and Tim McDonald uttered the famous phrase "same ol’ sorry ass Rams"
----------
I say lets thump them. Who cares if it’s not a real challenge, a win is a win.
----------
Hopefully we pound them so bad they HAVE to put in starters.
-----------
I think he prefers the 4 seed.

They want to play the Foles-led Eagles.
---------
Carolina is good, but I think the Rams have a good shot at beating them, especially at home
----------
Doesn’t matter who’s wearing the uni..

Beating the Rams just feels right.
---------
For the Rams, they’re relying right now on an older veteran O Line. That’s not going to last. Whitworth and Sullivan are the keys and they’re already 36 and 32 respectively. So their position isn’t necessarily as solid as it seems.
--------
I like SF’s long-term prospects over the Rams

You can’t overestimate the value of a good draft picker, if Lynch maintains his 2017 win streak. The Rams are still enjoying the RGIII trade bounty. But SF’s cap and extra picks are ready to offset that.

And ultimately I just like Jimmy G better than Goff who seems glass jaw to me. I don’t see him handling adversity well, as DCs figure out ways to counter McVay’s scheme.
---------
i'm still interested in seeing how goff reacts when a team shuts down gurley from his 150 a game. and it's going to happen.

Vikings already did it once. for now, gurley is the key to that team. not goff…
----------
The betting line opened at Rams minus seven

it’s now down to Rams as low as minus one. Will we soon be favored?
---------
If the rams are resting starters then fine

Let’s walk in their house and drop a 50 burger on them, make them hurt so bad they wish they had taken us seriously. Just an all out demoralizing loss that rips their soul entering the playoffs. I want the excuse to be whipping their backups, let them know who is right in their rear view, and coming for blood next year.

You shouldn’t take us so lightly. Yeah it will hurt our draft, but f*ck the Rams. You didn’t leave us any choice and Jimmy stays undefeated as a starter.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/49ers/comments/7mbsiq/rams_coach_sean_mcvay_told_the_media_that_he_will/

Rams coach Sean McVay told the media that he will probably rest his starters for the season finale against the 49ers

SCARED OF THE GROP, MCVAY!?
---------
No point letting them get humiliated by Garoppolo before they start the playoffs.
----------
Cant blame him. I wouldn't want to face us either.
---------
McVay is smart enough to know that Jimmy G is beating them with or without starters so that four seed is inevitable. He doesn't want his starters going into the playoffs realizing this is their only year winning this division.
----------
Sean McVay knows Shanny will expose his ass every time we play lmao doesn't want a devastating hit to his team's ego before the playoffs. We remember the TNF game where they let Hoyer bend them over
----------
They fear. We understand
----------
I don't need to see Aaron Donald murdering our interior O line on his way to meeting jimmy
----------
Probably for the best. I don't want to risk Donald destroying our interior line and injuring Jimmy... Particularly his face.
--------
we put up 39 on the Rams with Hoyer at the helm. imagine what we can do with Jimmy G.
----------
mNfmobv.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Here's what really pisses me off about how week 17 is unfolding from a draft perspective:

The Vikings play in the morning against the Bears (who we want to win for draft position) - they have something to play for (number 2 seed and first round bye) so will play all their starters to secure that win in the morning slate of games. So Bears will lose, hurting our draft position and Vikings will secure the number 2 seed.

The Rams have the luxury of playing after that game, will see the score and will immediately rest the bulk of their impact starters (Goff, Gurly, and Donald) since they have nothing to play for. This will give us an easy win against backups that no one wants and will likely drop us 3-4 spots in the 1st round.

Yes my precious... And then the Rams get a good chance to face the Eagles round two. Thanks for the assist.

Time to put a big cleat print on the jg hype. Give them all off-season to wonder if they may have overestimated. He doesn't suck by any means but come on, the hyperbole being thrown around like its fact is off the charts and something that a good asspounding will hopefully tone down.

That would be helping the whiners. Best possible outcome is they pass on a QB in this very good QB draft, then sign JG to a record-breaking contract that ties their hands for years, only to find out that he's going to be very average.

nighttrain

Legend
some 9er fans are OK, i understand if you are a fan of a team other than the Rams, but c'mon guys, The Rams are real, and we are resting our best for the playoffs. Dont let a win against the Rams w/o our best players go to your heads..
next year for whiner land
train

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Yes my precious... And then the Rams get a good chance to face the Eagles round two. Thanks for the assist.

That would be helping the whiners. Best possible outcome is they pass on a QB in this very good QB draft, then sign JG to a record-breaking contract that ties their hands for years, only to find out that he's going to be very average.

Orrrr, jimmy has a bad game, niners grab a qb, qb controversy begins only to discover that neither will be above average. Realistically, though, even if he has a bad game against the rams, who have made many good quarterbacks look bad, I doubt they panic and spend a high draft pick on a qb. He would need at least a couple more turds before they throw in the towel.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Not to worry Niners fans, your team will get to watch our starters play the following weekend on National TV.

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
So Jimmy G will play 1 more season if the 9ers franchise him. If they don't surround him with a good line and wrs, is there a more attractive destination? What if McHoodie gets a HC job?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'm gonna laugh my fucking ass off when the Good Ship Garropolo lands back down on Earth. What a bunch of kool aid drinking fools!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God I hater Niner fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS is why I want to play everyone and freaking kill them like the punks they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shooting: