Well, it’s mercifully over...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
He was not good. PFF Oline rankings are fubar imo. Allen could not block in space. He rarely reached his target and when he did he whiffed on the block. He was killing the run game along with Noteboom who had the same problem. Allen was weak in pass pro. He had problems that will only be compounded by his injury. I don't think anyone can teach how to fix his flaws just as they couldn't improve Blythe. Things like speed, vision, acceleration, timing etc are hard to improve on at the pro level
I'm no OL expert so earlier this off season, when they didn't resign Blythe and fans were complaining we had nobody, especially in Brian Allen, I went back and rewatched the first 5 games of 2019 focusing on just B.A. (The first 5 games because Noteboom went down early in week 6 and the OL was influx for most of the year). Allen had some moments when he got blown up in pass pro. He had some misses in the run game. But what first year starter doesn't make a few mistakes? For the most part he did his job. I have to disagree with you on your opinion he couldn't block in space. He often got to the second level and engaged a LB or S. Our running backs averaged 4.3 ypc those 5 weeks (Gurley 64 for 270; Brown 26 for 114). He was good in the pass game too. Goff averaged 329 yards per game and the offense averaged 28 PPG. The Rams were 3-2 and should have been 4-1 if Z doesn't miss the 44 yd game winner against Seattle at 0:00.

I think because of the OL having health issues all year (Noteboom early in game 6 for the season, Allen and Havenstein early in week 9 for the season) AND the Rams missing the playoffs at 9-7, the bad memories remained prevalent and the positives, forgotten. It seemed to be heaped on Noteboom and Allen the two first year starters on the OL. There was an interpretation "the Rams traded for C Austin Corbett (on Oct. 15) because Allen sucked so much", when in fact they traded for him when LG Noteboom went down on October 13th. To that point in his career Corbett had never taken 1 snap at C in college or the pros (still hasn't). To make matters worse, Cooks got a concussion in week 8, missed games 9 and 10 and was ineffective the rest of the season (15 rec for 181 yds in 6 games). One OL positive on the season was the youngsters gaining valuable experience and finishing 3-2 even if 2 of those 3 wins were against Arizona. But I think Allen got a bad wrap in 2019.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah.
I remember Martz saying, that he would like to draft 1 every year.
Just seems like the backup QB is the last thing on McVay's mind. He inherited Mannion, so didnt have to worry about backup QB in 17 or 18, then in 19 they got Bortles on the cheap 1 year deal, and last year just seemed like Wolford fell in to the position. Agreed on Martz, and I'd think an offensive guru like McVay would have similar thoughts.
Anyways, there are 2 consistent positions in the Rams draft strategy.
They've drafted at least 1 RB each year (1 year was a FB), and never drafted QB

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Just seems like the backup QB is the last thing on McVay's mind. He inherited Mannion, so didnt have to worry about backup QB in 17 or 18, then in 19 they got Bortles on the cheap 1 year deal, and last year just seemed like Wolford fell in to the position. Agreed on Martz, and I'd think an offensive guru like McVay would have similar thoughts.
I found it an interesting point.
I never thought about it until you brought it up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm no OL expert so earlier this off season, when they didn't resign Blythe and fans were complaining we had nobody, especially in Brian Allen, I went back and rewatched the first 5 games of 2019 focusing on just B.A. (The first 5 games because Noteboom went down early in week 6 and the OL was influx for most of the year). Allen had some moments when he got blown up in pass pro. He had some misses in the run game. But what first year starter doesn't make a few mistakes? For the most part he did his job. I have to disagree with you on your opinion he couldn't block in space. He often got to the second level and engaged a LB or S. Our running backs averaged 4.3 ypc those 5 weeks (Gurley 64 for 270; Brown 26 for 114). He was good in the pass game too. Goff averaged 329 yards per game and the offense averaged 28 PPG. The Rams were 3-2 and should have been 4-1 if Z doesn't miss the 44 yd game winner against Seattle at 0:00.

I think because of the OL having health issues all year (Noteboom early in game 6 for the season, Allen and Havenstein early in week 9 for the season) AND the Rams missing the playoffs at 9-7, the bad memories remained prevalent and the positives, forgotten. It seemed to be heaped on Noteboom and Allen the two first year starters on the OL. There was an interpretation "the Rams traded for C Austin Corbett (on Oct. 15) because Allen sucked so much", when in fact they traded for him when LG Noteboom went down on October 13th. To that point in his career Corbett had never taken 1 snap at C in college or the pros (still hasn't). To make matters worse, Cooks got a concussion in week 8, missed games 9 and 10 and was ineffective the rest of the season (15 rec for 181 yds in 6 games). One OL positive on the season was the youngsters gaining valuable experience and finishing 3-2 even if 2 of those 3 wins were against Arizona. But I think Allen got a bad wrap in 2019.
I have no idea how you evaluate a player. I rewatched everything game three times that year as I do all games. Allen missed far too many blocks. He was a rookie yes, but I watched him in the Big Ten and was surprised he was chosen so high. I saw the same problems in college.

The first three games of 2019 the Rams opponents did not copy the single high safety/6 man defensive front, Fangio defense. The pressure was not as heavy. The offense struggled as soon as

It’s very clear that once Edwards came in the offensive line improved. We saw that happen twice. Both in 2019 and 2020 but you still think Noteboom was a good guard?

Back to Allen the Oline play improved once Blythe replaced him as well. It was easy to see. Blythe played better than Allen. Blythe who the Rams weren’t concerned with retaining.

I’m sure I won’t change your mind because you’ve already made yours up it seems. We only have time to tell the story. Want to bet some money on how Allen’s career goes from here on out?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah.
I remember Martz saying, that he would like to draft 1 every year.
A lot of GMs/coaches say that. McVay and Snead both said it. The reality is that it is difficult to do. There are too many priorities on draft day and not enough good QBs to warrant using a pick on one each year. It’s better to have a veteran backup than a rookie in most cases. At least you know what you are getting.

The concept of drafting a QB to develop and maybe use as trade bait later doesn’t usually workout. There was a few examples of it a few years ago but Flynn wasn’t that good. Neither was Keven Kolb. Besides, Kolb was a second round pick. I wouldn’t want the Rams to use a second round pick on a backup QB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t want the Rams using picks on QBs each year. They can’t fill all the needs they have. If a good one fell to them that was worth it then sure. Get the backup. I’m sure they look at and consider QBs but it always comes back to is, is he better than what we have?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t want the Rams using picks on QBs each year. They can’t fill all the needs they have. If a good one fell to them that was worth it then sure. Get the backup. I’m sure they look at and consider QBs but it always comes back to is, is he better than what we have?
Didnt say I wanted them to. Just found it an interesting tidbit. That 4 year rookie contract is a nice inexpensive way to have a backup, particularly when the coach clearly doesnt hold that spot in high regard. Out of the backups, the only one with a contract for 2022 is Perkins. Both Wolford and Hodges are ERFA after 2021. Maybe thats the plan, draft a QB next year.
Either way my only point was that it was strange. I cant imagine there's any other team who hasnt drafted a single QB in the last 5 drafts

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
A lot of GMs/coaches say that. McVay and Snead both said it. The reality is that it is difficult to do. There are too many priorities on draft day and not enough good QBs to warrant using a pick on one each year. It’s better to have a veteran backup than a rookie in most cases. At least you know what you are getting.

The concept of drafting a QB to develop and maybe use as trade bait later doesn’t usually workout. There was a few examples of it a few years ago but Flynn wasn’t that good. Neither was Keven Kolb. Besides, Kolb was a second round pick. I wouldn’t want the Rams to use a second round pick on a backup QB.
I wouldn't want them throwing 2nd round picks at Qbs every year either.

I wouldn't mind them taking one that high a couple years from now, though.

If the right guy falls, why not?
How many more years will Stafford play?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wouldn't want them throwing 2nd round picks at Qbs every year either.

I wouldn't mind them taking one that high a couple years from now, though.

If the right guy falls, why not?
How many more years will Stafford play?
Agreed. That’s the trick though isn’t it. Even a guy like Wolford got extra experience to get where he is. They did take two as udfa’s last year. I wonder how long until they have a Guy they like fall to them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didnt say I wanted them to. Just found it an interesting tidbit. That 4 year rookie contract is a nice inexpensive way to have a backup, particularly when the coach clearly doesnt hold that spot in high regard. Out of the backups, the only one with a contract for 2022 is Perkins. Both Wolford and Hodges are ERFA after 2021. Maybe thats the plan, draft a QB next year.
Either way my only point was that it was strange. I cant imagine there's any other team who hasnt drafted a single QB in the last 5 drafts
They took two as udfas last year. I’m guessing it is a matter of is there one better than Wolford or better than we could sign as a free agent

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

There are some who will likely run with your interpretation of these events, but Cameron DeSilva, the Rams insider and media guide with RamsWire was quite specific about Corbett being brought in due to Allen's struggles, it was all spelled out in his first article following the trade. Coming out of college as an OT, Corbett entered the draft with nearly all the media pundits predicting his future was at Center or OG. When Edwards & Evans were drafted, the expectations were more in line with them playing OG or OT, no-one had them pegged to Center at the time, or do they now from my understanding of things. When Noteboom went down, wasn't it initially Evans who got the replacement gig, then he struggled and that's when Edwards took over at LG. Now i'm old and a little fuzzy about Evans' length of participation at LG, it may have only been one game, but that's how i'm remembering it, ... and it was soon after that Havenstein was injured, came out and Evans then actually played remarkably well at RT for a time.

I don't wish to treat Allen unfairly, he was asked to participate while surrounded by Noteboom at LG and Blythe at RG, so those weren't the best of circumstances, but when judging players, they are often on an island and accountable to the tape they provide. Allen's injury has kept him out of football for a season and a half now, and in that time he may very well have worked himself into being a more formidable player, and I for one hope that he provides some great competition to start at Center, although in that same amount of time, Corbett has been providing good tape at LG and RG, so I must allow that he likely has the advantage. jmo.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They took two as udfas last year. I’m guessing it is a matter of is there one better than Wolford or better than we could sign as a free agent
But they arent locked up for 4 years like a drafted player. Again, not a criticism, just found it odd. I'd think a guy like McVay would want stability in that role, not continually replacing. Could end up being Wolford again this year and next year he'd be pretty much a lock for the league min salary as an ERFA. Either way, it was only mentioned for the oddity of it all, couldnt find another team that hadnt drafted at least 1 QB in last 5 drafts

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
While Corbett has been named as front runner as the starting C, i believe its up for grabs and they will give plenty of snaps in TC and pre-season to Anchrum, Allen and Shelton also. I don't believe LG is set either. If one of those other guys beat out Corbett at C, he goes back to LG.

OL is going to be a very interesting watch during TC, and I intend to play it close attention when I'm there. Keeping my fingers crossed they allow fans.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
And, yes, I will post a write up here at ROD on every practice I attend. (Hopefully with the help of VetRamFan and a few beers).

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Great post! Repeated opinions become perceived facts. Our memories are not reliable witnesses. If you want to really understand something go back to the original first hand sources and find out for yourself.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Sure, but by all appearances, it looks like DeSilva was right-on in this case. jmo.
Sure, but by all appearances, it looks like DeSilva was right-on in this case. jmo.
You may well be right. But appearances can also be misleading. We have just seen Rodrigues of the Athletic, who seems to be very well informed, totally misread the Rams' intentions with respect to the oline in the draft.

I'm not really trying to weigh in on Brian Allen. Just supporting the notion of a poster going back to actual game tapes and coming away with a different view than has been routinely expressed.

Still, it is notable that the Rams' have stuck with Allen thus far. I assume they still have some hope that he can play or at least be the backup at center. But maybe he'll be cut, we'll see.