Well, it’s mercifully over...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Definitely some head scratchers this year, but as usual, I have convinced myself that they will all be pro bowlers, haha.

I stated when Holmes left that I worried he may have been the brains and Les was just the hair, but time will tell. Alas, I gotta give the stammering one the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
But what's the difference between an unknown center prospect and a young guy who is already on the roster that the Rams have seen in practice and like? I don't think either should be looked at any differently honestly
Better competition at the position.
We've seen Allen and Blythe under perform the past 2 years.
We know Allen is still young. But, it's not as if he had a few youthful hiccups. He played very poorly.

As far as Blythe. The coaches obviously felt he was our best option on the roster last year.
He was underwhelming.

The roster is now unchanged. Yet, we're suppose to belive that we already have an upgrade over Blythe on the same OL roster as last year?
I'm not convinced.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If you found Blythe’s play acceptable, that's fine.
I, on the other hand, didn't.

Well be careful what you wish for, what Blythe did well was the line calls (really knew the offense) and he never had a bad snap. That is more important then people think because if you remember when Brian Allen was the starter, his snaps were all over the place and Goff had to keep moving to his left & right to ensure the ball did not go awry.

I agree the Rams need to get stronger at the point of attack and hopefully snapping the football in shotgun formation will not be an issue, but besides the blocking schemes and being effective in pass protection, those are other aspects that I will focus on with the new center and hopefully, it won't be an issue because with Brian Allen back two years ago, it was.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well be careful what you wish for, what Blythe did well was the line calls (really knew the offense) and he never had a bad snap. That is more important then people think because if you remember when Brian Allen was the starter, his snaps were all over the place and Goff had to keep moving to his left & right to ensure the ball did not go awry.

I agree the Rams need to get stronger at the point of attack and hopefully snapping the football in shotgun formation will not be an issue, but besides the blocking schemes and being effective in pass protection, those are other aspects that I will focus on with the new center and hopefully, it won't be an issue because with Brian Allen back two years ago, it was.
Blythe is a smart veteran.
His pass pro is the issue.

I find myself just as concerned going into this season as I was going into last season.

Other than a couple good years, we have struggled far too long with that group.
We are almost there. Just solidify the C position already.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Great points. I think the key is not taking yourself too seriously. Remembering that we don't see as deeply as the teams do and know as much as they do of a lot of things that factor in from medical to even a guy being a fucking dickhead on campus. Also being able to eat crow when you need to with a little grace instead of being a fuckwit about being wrong. Which tbh you see a lot of on boards, but definitely not as much of here.

Last year our draft was great. In large part I think that was because Staley identified exactly what he needed and Snead went and got it. Some of it was surprising too, like taking two safeties after having taken a good one the previous year. But he killed it.

This year we have some different guys driving this. The ILB Jones pick was all Shula. I think the world of Shula but he had Snead taking this guy above some other prospects that had better film. He deserves to have his choice but we're just gonna have to wait and see if he hit on the pick. Same thing with the TE later in the draft. He was all Phillips. I also think Phillips has done a great job so I'm fine with that.

Did the new OL coach just shut up and get in line? Well if so he's probably not good enough at his job which means he'll go the way of our ST hire last year. But maybe he nuked the film and practice tape and is happy. No way to know. In the end though even the staff is projecting which is an educated guess.
I disagree w/ the Shula pick. I would think it was a Raheem Morris pick and what he felt he needed for his base D formations.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree w/ the Shula pick. I would think it was a Raheem Morris pick and what he felt he needed for his base D formations.
You may be right. But he was quoted that Shula was in contact with him all through the process. For me it follows that Shula getting the overall LB Coach promotion was given marching orders (probably by Morris) to find "his guy."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I find myself just as concerned going into this season as I was going into last season.

What's funny is that on quite a few outside zones Blythe would not get position on his guy (all he needed to do is get directly in his way to the sideline) and his DL assignment ended up ruining what would have been really big plays to Akers. So I agree his pass pro was worse. But he did cost us big plays in the run game too.

I think with him gone we're going to see improvement across the board. Not sure how much, but if Corbs plays well we may be looking at a heck of a unit.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
What's funny is that on quite a few outside zones Blythe would not get position on his guy (all he needed to do is get directly in his way to the sideline) and his DL assignment ended up ruining what would have been really big plays to Akers. So I agree his pass pro was worse. But he did cost us big plays in the run game too.

I think with him gone we're going to see improvement across the board. Not sure how much, but if Corbs plays well we may be looking at a heck of a unit.
I hope so.
I really want to see Stafford in a clean jersey this year.
Give him protection and a solid run game and we will win a lot of games.

Corbett seems to be the fan favorite at the moment.
If he can just play solid, we'll be fine.

Then it's just a matter of depth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope so.
I really want to see Stafford in a clean jersey this year.
Give him protection and a solid run game and we will win a lot of games.

Corbett seems to be the fan favorite at the moment.
If he can just play solid, we'll be fine.
Even if he plays well, the depth is still a concern.
For me the key is he played well at OG for us so at least we know he can hold up physically which is a big difference from Blythe. The Rams mentioning sand in the pants at Center makes sense, that was the problem with Austin. Some games he would be ok, but put a good nose over him and it was Chernobyl up front.

The only thing that bothers me about Corbett is that he's a FA after this season. So we may be looking for LT and C this time next year.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Better competition at the position.
We've seen Allen and Blythe under perform the past 2 years.
We know Allen is still young. But, it's not as if he had a few youthful hiccups. He played very poorly.

As far as Blythe. The coaches obviously felt he was our best option on the roster last year.
He was underwhelming.

The roster is now unchanged. Yet, we're suppose to belive that we already have an upgrade over Blythe on the same OL roster as last year?
I'm not convinced.
We've technically only seen Brian Allen for like six games of his career. He got injured in the middle of his rookie season and then was out all of last year. So we really don't have any idea. Had Brian Allen been a second round pick I don't think we would give up on him so fast. So we really don't have any idea. Had Brian Allen been a second round pick I don't think we would give up on him so fast.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
We've technically only seen Brian Allen for like six games of his career. He got injured in the middle of his rookie season and then was out all of last year. So we really don't have any idea. Had Brian Allen been a second round pick I don't think we would give up on him so fast. So we really don't have any idea. Had Brian Allen been a second round pick I don't think we would give up on him so fast.
The problem, as I stated earlier, wasn't that he just had a few rookie struggles. He was over matched completely.
I would be more than happy to see Allen succeed.
From what I've seen, even after 6 games, he has / had a long way to go before even being a solid back up.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem, as I stated earlier, wasn't that he just had a few rookie struggles. He was over matched completely.
I would be more than happy to see Allen succeed.
From what I've seen, even after 6 games, he has / had a long way to go before even being a solid back up.
Well I'm no savant on offensive line assessment so I can't debate what you saw, but pff have Brian Allen a 59 grade in 2019, which is better than all of the centers in last year's draft. So maybe you saw him getting mauled every play but not everyone agrees and I feel like I specifically remember Noteboom having the bigger struggles. And he played much better in 2020

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Well I'm no savant on offensive line assessment so I can't debate what you saw, but pff have Brian Allen a 59 grade in 2019, which is better than all of the centers in last year's draft. So maybe you saw him getting mauled every play but not everyone agrees and I feel like I specifically remember Noteboom having the bigger struggles. And he played much better in 2020
Noteboom was rough as well.
Which probably contributed to Allen's struggles.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Noteboom was rough as well.
Which probably contributed to Allen's struggles.
I agree. I know Blythe had that issue where if he were bookended by less than capable lineman his play would suffer.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Please don't forget that we just drafted a 5"8 149 lbs WR in the 2nd round, while arguing over the fragility of our OL situation.

Carry on.

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
You may be right. But he was quoted that Shula was in contact with him all through the process. For me it follows that Shula getting the overall LB Coach promotion was given marching orders (probably by Morris) to find "his guy."
Ok, that's a piece of the puzzle I wasn't aware of. Not sure moving fwd I like Shula having a major say in pick selection. Never been a fan of his. Cheers

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Rams' projected depth chart following 2021 NFL draft

Cameron DaSilva
May 3, 2021 5:45 am

The Los Angeles Rams’ roster got a big injection of talent over the weekend after the team drafted nine players and signed another 10 as undrafted free agents. Position battles won’t truly begin until training camp in July and August, but it’s never too early to look at how each spot on the roster could shake out.

Coming out of the 2021 NFL draft, we projected the Rams’ depth chart on offense, defense and special teams, laying out starters, backups and reserves at each position. This is obviously just a prediction and there’s still a ton to be decided on the field, but the Rams have good depth at a number of positions.

We only have one rookie penciled in as a starter, with several others backing up veterans.

Offense

Starter Backup Third-string Reserve

QB Matthew Stafford John Wolford Bryce Perkins Devlin Hodges
RB Cam Akers Darrell Henderson Xavier Jones Raymond Calais, Jake Funk
WR1 Robert Woods Trishton Jackson Ben Skowronek
WR2 Van Jefferson DeSean Jackson Jeremiah Haydel
Slot Cooper Kupp Tutu Atwell Nsimba Webster J.J. Koski, Landen Akers
TE Tyler Higbee Johnny Mundt Brycen Hopkins Kendall Blanton, Jacob Harris
LT Andrew Whitworth Joe Noteboom
LG David Edwards Jamil Demby
C Austin Corbett Brian Allen Coleman Shelton
RG Bobby Evans Tremayne Anchrum Jordan Meredith
RT Rob Havenstein Chandler Brewer Alaric Jackson

Defense

Starter Backup Third-string Reserve

DT Aaron Donald Michael Hoecht Marquise Copeland George Silvanic
NT Sebastian Joseph-Day Greg Gaines Bobby Brown III
DE A’Shawn Robinson Earnest Brown IV Jonah Williams Eric Banks
ROLB Justin Hollins Ogbonnia Okoronkwo Justin Lawler Max Roberts
LOLB Leonard Floyd Terrell Lewis Chris Garrett
ILB1 Ernest Jones Troy Reeder Micah Kiser Derrick Moncrief
ILB2 Travin Howard Kenny Young Christian Rozeboom
CB1 Jalen Ramsey Robert Rochell
CB2 Darious Williams
Nickel CB David Long Jr. Donte Deayon Brontae Harris
FS Jordan Fuller Nick Scott JuJu Hughes Paris Ford, Troy Warner
SS Terrell Burgess Taylor Rapp Jake Gervase J.R. Reed, Jovan Grant

Full Article-
[theramswire.usatoday.com]

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I think 2 things that standout for me was the focus on front 7 "run support" attributes and the ability to play ob ST coverage units. major theme on Day 3 more so than any other draft class in awhile it appears.
Do like the speed we added throughout the draft. We needed that