Well, it’s mercifully over...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
When a team, for example, has 3 OL starters facing free agency AND their top LT may be looking at retirement, somewhere along the way someone is going to ask about depth, and if it isn't taken seriously, and you end up losing quality players, then people might seek answers. No-one has said it's too late and good players won't get extensions, but the specter remains until fans are satisfied it's being addressed.
True on the OL situation. But if I'm reading the numbers correctly, they'll be almost 50 mil under the cap next year. It doesn't matter whether that is #2 in the NFL of #22 in the NFL because L.A. (with McVay, Donald & others) is a 'destination'. Word is they seem to like experienced vets over prospects (and I offer the Cooks acquisition, Fowler acquistion, Ramsey acquisition, Floyd acquistion and Stafford acquisition as proof). No matter how "sure" some fans are that we missed on a starting center (or any other position) for the next 5 years, those guys haven't played a down of NFL football so we'll have to see. It wasn't so long ago missing on Forrest Lamp cost us big time. :rolleyes: In the Fisher years, or the Linehan and Spag tenures there was a lot of reason to bitch about this or that. Now? Not so much.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
True on the OL situation. But if I'm reading the numbers correctly, they'll be almost 50 mil under the cap next year. It doesn't matter whether that is #2 in the NFL of #22 in the NFL because L.A. (with McVay, Donald & others) is a 'destination'. Word is they seem to like experienced vets over prospects (and I offer the Cooks acquisition, Fowler acquistion, Ramsey acquisition, Floyd acquistion and Stafford acquisition as proof). No matter how "sure" some fans are that we missed on a starting center (or any other position) for the next 5 years, those guys haven't played a down of NFL football so we'll have to see. It wasn't so long ago missing on Forrest Lamp cost us big time. :rolleyes: In the Fisher years, or the Linehan and Spag tenures there was a lot of reason to bitch about this or that. Now? Not so much.

Can you link me to that $50mil under the CAP estimate you are using ? I understand the CAP will rise a great deal for 2022 considering the new Network TV deals as well as a revenue bounce with the hope that the overall Covid effect we had last season will be behind us, but this is the first i've heard about there being a $50mil. dollar projection in available CAP. Thanks.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Look at it another way. I will never trust Oline evaluations of a team that started Noteboom at guard for a second season, after a disastrous first time around, and one who still has Brian Allen and Shelton as the backup centers. Allen was bad the first time he started. What made them think he was ready? It is reasonable cause to not trust the decisions regarding Oline.

I get that they are inexpensive but I think its beyond time to find a better backup or to train a guy like Anchrum to be the center backup. Even if they didn't draft a starting center a better backup option seems like a worthy need to address.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Can you link me to that $50mil under the CAP estimate you are using ? I understand the CAP will rise a great deal for 2022 considering the new Network TV deals as well as a revenue bounce with the hope that the overall Covid effect we had last season will be behind us, but this is the first i've heard about there being a $50mil. dollar projection in available CAP. Thanks.
My bad. I was wrong. :woozy:

MachS

Hall of Fame
I know all the Gurley and Goff money comes off the books next year, plus the cap will go back up to what it was last year in 2020 by all accounts, so we should have a lot of cap space. Then in 2022 I think there's the huge cap jump expected from the new TV deal.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
General impressions...

If we could somehow have a do over on Day 2 I would jump on it. I count 3 unforced errors on Day 2 at 57, at 88, and at 103. That was game, set, match. Too much to recover from in a draft lacking a 1st on Day 1. Rams needed three consecutive hits with perhaps a shrewd trade down in the process and they failed on all 4 opportunities.

Day 3 was better in terms of value and addressing future needs. But too little, too late, I’m afraid.

I come away with concerns in many areas and few apparent solutions to address them.

LOT
OC
WOLB
ILB (still)
CB

Lots of upcoming UFA’s and one probable retiree in Big Whit. Where are the replacements that are gonna be necessary as soon as next year?

Look, the Rams strategy of signing elites with future 1sts traded away only works when the team keeps bringing in quality players in rounds 2-7 to surround the elites with inexpensively. Snead/McVay have walked that tightrope rather well for several years. Until now, I’m afraid.

I really miss Brad Holmes.

I find myself concerned, frustrated, and more than a little angry all at the same time. Sigh...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Signing elites only works (I am a huge fan of it) when you are not in cap hell so we can pick up 3 potential FA starters and use round 2 as a starter and rest as backups. We had no money to sign a DT or 3rd CB or Center upgrade and that is why depending on the draft never works out. Historically maybe 2 players per draft emerge and odds decrease simply not having a 1st bc I would say 1st and 2nds are starters rest fill in.

In what season ?? I think The Rams are getting that back with Comp picks alone ?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I know all the Gurley and Goff money comes off the books next year, plus the cap will go back up to what it was last year in 2020 by all accounts, so we should have a lot of cap space. Then in 2022 I think there's the huge cap jump expected from the new TV deal.
Yeah i think the Rams are projecting their wallets to open up a bit in 2022. There are several quality OT free agents potentially becoming available next year and IMO this is where we make our move in replacing Big Whit.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am disappointed with this draft mainly it's because of the lack of picks on O-line. I'll reserve my judgment though until year 3.

The tinfoil hat wearing me suspects Snead getting COVID might've clouded his thought process throughout the draft.

Listen to SEAN MCVAY!!! Blame Snead all you want.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah i think the Rams are projecting their wallets to open up a bit in 2022. There are several quality OT free agents potentially becoming available next year and IMO this is where we make our move in replacing Big Whit.

Yeah - but all the crying about not bringing in a rookie OLineman ?

Tutu at #57 was a reach,but not worth missing out on.Mcvay is about mentoring.Trading back with the 9ers,so they could get a quality RB.
Earnest was there guy though,but still hate giving the 9ers a chance to get better.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah - but all the crying about not bringing in a rookie OLineman ?
No crying here. Beyond rd 2 i liked this draft from a positional standpoint. To me the only real issue with our OL is replacing Whit, which is what my post was about.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Look at it another way. I will never trust Oline evaluations of a team that started Noteboom at guard for a second season, after a disastrous first time around, and one who still has Brian Allen and Shelton as the backup centers. Allen was bad the first time he started. What made them think he was ready? It is reasonable cause to not trust the decisions regarding Oline.

I get that they are inexpensive but I think its beyond time to find a better backup or to train a guy like Anchrum to be the center backup. Even if they didn't draft a starting center a better backup option seems like a worthy need to address.

The OL in my opinion was not very good and protected by the playcalling last year. Having said that, I think we could be selling the guys on the roster a little short. Two things are obvious. This regime is not a collection of idiots and they have extreme confidence in the OL on the roster. They had so many chances to get OL in the draft. Meinerz. Hainsey. Trey Hill. Dalman. Deonte Brown. Etc. They passed each and every time. They've been telling us they're happy with who they have in house and this draft certainly confirms that. They did address a ton of other needs....losing Brockers, Fox, Hill, Reynolds, Everett etc., solidifying the LB corp and building a solid special teams unit.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I want to rag on the idiot who posted less than a week ago that he 'did not see the Rams drafting a WR with one of their higher picks because WR was a relatively strong position and there were needs elsewhere'. What a clown.

By-the-way, that was me.
Well, if it's any consolation, I probably gave you a Thread Winner on that post!!!!
I'll join you on the clown crew
2TJ2.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For us to end up 50 million under the cap next year without trades/cuts the cap would have to go up close to $75 million dollars :D

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I would point out a few counter points here:

First, that could have been Kromers input and possibly why he's no longer here

Second, and more importantly since McVay has the final say:

In 2017, we started two below average offensive linemen in Sullivan and Brown. Brown was so bad that we just cut him a year later.

In 2018 we started two bad offensive linemen - Sullivan and Blythe.

In 2019 we started what ended up being three bad offensive linemen - but we were 3-0 to start the season, and the last five games of the season they played well. The Allen experiment ended.

In 2020 we started one bad offensive lineman in Blythe. The OL performed well for most of the season.

For probably 75% of McVays games as HC, the offensive line has performed really well. I point out that there's always a bad player on the OL in tandem with that 75% number because there's a method to his madness - could be mental aptitude for example.

The thing about that 25% is that the other guys get paid too - and sometimes you run up against a Khalil Mack. In those instances, the OL needs an assist. Pretty clear from out off-season moves that McVay wants guys who can help with that 25%

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
For us to end up 50 million under the cap next year without trades/cuts the cap would have to go up close to $75 million dollars :D

Yeah, the OP already said it was a mistake on his part ...

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This article speculates that the cap could rise to $220 million:

We currently have $207 million in commitments.

So that's $13 million - I think we all expect Whitworth to retire so that's adding $14 million. Hekker could save another $4 million.

That's up to $31 million.

They've said they want Stafford long term - an extension frees up probably at least $9 million so we're up to $40 million. Finally the annual "trade Kupp or Woods", if it were to actually happen, gets us to $50 million.

And in doing so, that would create holes at P and LT - which were already expecting. That's it. Already have the WRs.

OR - we keep Kupp/Woods and Hekker, and be fine with the $30-$35 million. Use that to re-sign Williams and Corbett and add another offensive lineman.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I'm still bitching. We missed on a good center for the future in Creed. We need some big piggy wigglies up front lol. At this point, can't do shit though so I just hope we drafted some studs and hidden gems. Didn't know Jordan Fuller would be that this time last year Time will tell, TBD

Yeah, Mel Kiper was high on Creed. He thought he'd go mid second if not sooner.

As for the Rams draft I'm not up on it. The general feel is it was underwhelming. Pundits aren't loving it overall.