Was McVay premature in bailing on Goff to trade for Stafford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Trading Goff for Stafford was the right move and paid off in a Super Bowl victory. Price was just a bit too high though. Felt Snead could have done the deal for Goff and a First rounder with a little more back and forth. Two firsts and a third was a bit much. That's the only quibble I have on the trade.
Shanahan was told go ahead and wait till the next day for Stafford. Then McVay swooped in. If they let it drag on Stafford coulda ended up with the 49ers. And they'd be enjoying multiple Lombardi's while we're on the outside looking in. I'm fine with what it took to land him.

Ram65

Legend
it's hard for me to read this thread based on the title question.

I've said many times Koff needed a kick in the ass. He got it being traded to Detroit. To his credit, he has improved his mental approach to the game. ie., studying and preparing for games. It helps him that he has a very solid offensive line and speedy reliable playmakers.

We know what Stafford brought to the Rams.

1727920786426.png

RamWoodie

Legend
NO!!! Goff was struggling reading defenses and the blitz. That was the case his first couple of years in Detroit too. He has really matured though and I don't mind saying so.

JBRam77

Rookie
People saying Goff couldn’t have brought us a Title in ‘21 well how are they so sure? He nearly brought us a title in ‘18. Belichek schooled him but he had good performances in the Cowboys and Saints playoff games without Gurley and without Kupp. The ‘21 offense was probably just as good as the ‘18 offense personnel wise. ‘19 and ‘20 the OLine was complete trash and Goffs play and confidence suffered. McVay was too impatient to adjust his offense. I think a fresh start was needed for both Goff and McVay but it still bugs me when Rams fans think Goff would have whiffed in ‘21 with that offense and defense. I love Stafford to death but if Jaquaski Tartt catches the pop fly the trade would have been thought of differently

Memphis Ram

Legend
People saying Goff couldn’t have brought us a Title in ‘21 well how are they so sure? He nearly brought us a title in ‘18. Belichek schooled him but he had good performances in the Cowboys and Saints playoff games without Gurley and without Kupp. The ‘21 offense was probably just as good as the ‘18 offense personnel wise. ‘19 and ‘20 the OLine was complete trash and Goffs play and confidence suffered. McVay was too impatient to adjust his offense. I think a fresh start was needed for both Goff and McVay but it still bugs me when Rams fans think Goff would have whiffed in ‘21 with that offense and defense. I love Stafford to death but if Jaquaski Tartt catches the pop fly the trade would have been thought of differently
As I recall Goff completed about 52 or 53% of his passes while Gurley & Anderson ran for about 250 or something vs. the Cowboys.

Either way, if Goff were still with the Rams, Stafford would have been a 49er instead of Garappolo. For that reason alone I'd guess no Title in '21. Stafford might even have one or two more by now.

BTW, I'm not so sure about what happens if Tartt makes that INT as there was still over 9 minutes left in the game and they were only down by 3. I guess it would depend upon the return yardage to make me change my mind.

Last edited:

sloramfan

Starter
i tried to go through this thread...

but lost interest after about 10 posts...

superbowl...

i rest my case counselor...

and im a goff backer..

go rams

slo

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
If you want to question a trade, the Jalen Ramsey one might be the one. We got rid of Peters, a zone corner, for a better man defender, but Wade left shortly afterwards and we ended up with a zone defense anyways.

I love Ramsey but in hindsight was the talent difference worth the largest CB contract and all of those 1st? Peters played well too for Baltimore.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Look, at first I was not happy about the trade. The age difference was big for me. And Goff was our #1, drafted by us and that stuff does matter to me.
I knew Stafford was a more talented QB. A freak really who was tough, huge arm and had this thing for winning games late. He had "IT" so to speak. But he came out a LONG time ago. Think of all the QBs who have come and gone since then, good ones and he is still playing.
The thing was when I found out the 9ers almost got him..............................not we could not have THAT!!!!
Those fucks would have 2-3 Super Bowls by now if they our QB. They are that good of a team, I could not even imagine how good they would be with Matt. Scary thought really.
Nope, nope..... good trade.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Stafford did what the Rams wanted from him. Win a Lombardi.

Sure, Goff is in his prime but the Rams window was getting smaller so McSnead went for it and got a ring.

Now the Rams need to reload for another shot at a title while Stanford is still able to play at a high level.

tempests

Hall of Fame
People saying Goff couldn’t have brought us a Title in ‘21 well how are they so sure?
Because our passing offense had just about stagnated by the end of 2020. If McVay couldn't create space in the passing game via play action or pre snap motion, Goff couldn't succeed. McVay wanted a QB who could be successful in drop back passing and out of the shotgun.

‘19 and ‘20 the OLine was complete trash
Stafford played behind the same linemen that Goff did.
Jaquaski Tartt catches the pop fly the trade would have been thought of differently

Yeah, whatever.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywd1iK5d8vY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMEDhKM58qo

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff is a great QB who has trouble with a pass rush. He does not perform well under pressure. This showed it's ugly head during Goff's super bowl and also after that when the Rams had a rather weak O-line and Goff was fumbling the ball and throwing interceptions.

Contrast that with Stafford's weak o-lines during the past 3 years or when injuries occurred. Stafford is still throwing dimes all over the field and carrying the team. That is the biggest difference in these two QBs. Stafford is a dog! Goff needs a great team around him to be great.

LOURam85

Rookie
Lots of good responses to a reasonable, well written question from an OP that has built up plenty of credibility to ask that question.

I may have missed it but did anyone mention the age, experience, career and contract factors related to key veterans like Whitworth and Donald? Neither figured to be around much longer, making the Super Bowl window a little smaller.

Just a personal opinion from an older poster. I was around for the decade of the 1970s when the Rams were REALLY Good; and the failure to get to Super Bowls (0-4 in NFC Championship Games until 1979), and to win a Lombardi was incredibly disappointing and frustrating.

While I have fond memories of the Rams teams of my teenage years, that entire decade remains a disappointment to me.
Is this a shot at me just cause I don’t agree with y’all on kupp … ya act like dude had a hof career he’s not all that

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Is this a shot at me just cause I don’t agree with y’all on kupp … ya act like dude had a hof career he’s not all that
Honestly ... No ... not at all.

Now, to be completely honest, some of my other responses (on Other threads) ... Yeah, they were Shots.

You're entitled to your strong opinions on different Rams' topics; and ROD posters are allowed to push-back.

Tano

Legend
Goff is a great QB who has trouble with a pass rush. He does not perform well under pressure. This showed it's ugly head during Goff's super bowl and also after that when the Rams had a rather weak O-line and Goff was fumbling the ball and throwing interceptions.

Contrast that with Stafford's weak o-lines during the past 3 years or when injuries occurred. Stafford is still throwing dimes all over the field and carrying the team. That is the biggest difference in these two QBs. Stafford is a dog! Goff needs a great team around him to be great.
Not downplaying Stafford at all, but when he had Kolone and Evans in the OL in 2022, Stafford wasn't throwing dimes those games.

He was running for his life.

Goff had the same issues with Blythe and Evans when they were in the games together.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Here’s my contention, I guess.

But it requires some assumptions.

IF the Rams keep Goff and IF McVay coaches him to his strengths rather than forcing him to play in McVay’s preferred O. (Like the lightly regarded Campbell has done)

And IF Rams used those two 1sts and that 3rd wisely in addition to their other picks…

THEN, imo, Rams would be in a much better position today than they are right now. Might or might not have that Lombardi but the view of their future for next 10 years would be considerably brighter than it now is. Top 5 QB in his prime with a loaded roster? Are you KIDDING me?

Sigh…

I was one of Goff's biggest defenders here, and still think he's a lot better QB than a lot of his detractors. And I was vehemently against the trade at the time it went down.

BUT ...

We got a Super Bowl win. A Super Bowl in that came at the end of a playoff run where Stafford was as clutch as any QB has ever been in the postseason.

That fact settles the issue for me once and for all. It was the right thing to do, and knowing everything I know now, I'd do it again. Super Bowl wins are priceless.

What I do hope comes from this is that McVay learns some things about himself and how he handles QBs in the future, and about how he tailors his offense to their strengths and minimizes their weaknesses. I don't think he handled Goff anywhere near the way he should have, but then Stafford came available and gave him an out. It's rare that veteran QBs of that caliber become available on the market.

A hypothetical in which this debate would have been more relevant would be if he had given up on Goff and then got another QB who is not up to Stafford's ability. We probably don't have a Super Bowl and who knows how good the Rams are at this point. One scenario where that could have happened is if we had traded the farm for DeShaun Watson, which a number of people on this board wanted to do. I think it's safe to say that would have been an absolute fucking disaster and would have probably resulted in McVay being on the hot seat. Getting Stafford instead might have actually saved his career.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's just a completely pointless exercise, so many variables and "what ifs" come into play that its impossible to know. I'm guessing your end game here is to some how prove that if McVay changes we some how win multiple super bowls and get to keep our draft picks? Because that's the only scenario that matters since we did win a Super Bowl because of the trade.

Sure, maybe McVay changes his offense to accommodate Goff's failings and we go on and win multiple super bowls. Or he changes and Goff performs even worse to the point we eventually just cut his ass and get nothing in return and we don't win shit. If we were 1-3 after week 4 in 2021 than this exercise might have some validity to it. But it's 2024, we immediately won a SB and Goff has taken three years to almost get back to the level he was playing under McVay.
Just trying to entertain while thinking outside the box and perhaps sparking an interesting discussion.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK - kneejerked with a no.
Now I'll answer with the whys.
Goff is not an elite QB period. (You're better than that)

Goff cannot play without a running game - Stafford can, cuz he's a way better QB.
With Gibbs and Montgomery (maybe best duo in the league) Goff is Mr. Playaction
(Compare superbowls when neither had a running game).

Stafford is better without perfect protection.
Goff has a killer Oline.

Actually, don't know why I am even responding to this, especially when you go after Mcvay as well.
Sorry @Rams43, think you're just frustrated with how the season's going and are now second guessing.
You’re completely missing the point, man.

The question is NOT about which QB is the better.

The question is whether McVay would have been strategically better off from 2021 to 2031 if he had kept Goff, coached to Goff’s strengths (as Campbell has done) and kept the two 1sts and the 3rd?