VENT Vent Thread - Rams/Packers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
It was the scheme. Rodgers wasn't asked to drop back and hold the ball a long time. Many passes were short and he got rid of the ball quickly. Also, AD and others were being mugged and held on almost every play and very few flags.
I thought after the Thanksgiving games when refs were calling holding on every play that the NFL was going to reward Donald with some holding calls. Boy was I wrong
To be fair to McVay, he's bleeding coordinators at a rate I've never seen. The guy has been a HC for 4 years and he already has a massive coaching tree : 3 HC are ex McVay coordinators, and I'm not counting the DCs and OCs. At some point it is inevitable to have a year when the coordinator group is not elite, can't score homeruns on every offseason.

I think what he needs is to stop being the OC, hire someone he trusts, let him call plays, take some distance. He's trying to do too much by himself and that pushes him into being repetitive, overworked, predictable, make bad decisions. I still think he's a great HC, but right now he needs to talk to his therapist and reevaluate his role and position to put himself in a better position to succeed.

It's a bad month, it has happended to good tems before, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet.
The baby is being flung out with dirty ineffective water. Time for a new baby and some clean untainted water.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m certainly not gonna argue who is better Goff or Stafford … but didn’t we make the trade to not have turnovers and to be able to throw the ball deep … but man this level of play from the QB position and some first round picks sure would feel better right now

We may not have mortgaged our future but we sure as shit got our present on credit … and the interest is comin due

Such a mind boggling team of talent at the top of the roster .. and dregs if society are the bottom
From the number 1 defense in the league to almost last

This season ain’t over … but it sure feels like it right

3 losses on the spin .. three divisional games while we are free falling

Mcvay and co better start whipping out the parachutes pretty soon

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Well ..........

A: The Rams have shown and proven on the field to NOT be mentally tough.

B: I thought it was a violation to smack talk other members on this board...especially from posters who have been here a long time and know better?

Again, I share your anger, frustration and disappointment.

I thought the 'mentally tough' comment was general-enough to be OK but this is a Vent Thread, so you may have a point. I am surprised so many posters are so certain that the Rams will not rally and play winning football.

This is an uncomfortable position for me, as I can sometimes be kind of a negative guy.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and I saw matt Stafford is now 9-70 against a team with a winning record

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff had a total of 3 pick 6's in 4 seasons while playing for Mcvay.
Glad that turnover machine is gone, amiright??

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
[/QUOTE]
Oh and I saw matt Stafford is now 9-70 against a team with a winning record
The worst Stat in football. Don't get how people simply ignore it. Apparently being with a better org only gets you 1 win.

Tano

Legend
Well he also lost fumbles for TDs

If he held onto the ball better, I believe he would still be on the team. Well....maybe

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
I think McVay gave too much to Stafford. I’d like to see McVay run the same calls he’d do with Goff and see what happens. The offense is predictable now. When’s the last time we actually did a jet sweep (and it worked)? We can’t be working out of the shotgun so much. It’s great if it’s working but it’s not.

Tano

Legend
GB OL are masters of holding. They were starting to get called very late in the game but I saw bear hugs on Donald from behind that weren’t getting called.
Yeah and Whitworth gets called for two holding calls. Zero for GB.

Ellard80

Legend
Rodgers is great no doubt but considering the circumstances Stafford should've outplayed him. Stafford didn't have to worry about a guy named Aaron Donald while Missing his 2 best lineman.
The "circumstances" matter little when you have the superior QB. Rodgers beat Arizone at arizona with all of his weapons out.

Plus the circumstances being on stafford favor is debatable at best... i mean Rodgers is 72-1 at home with a halftime lead.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
There is no shame in losing to Green Bay in Lambeau. Especially in the cold as a warm weather team. What is so concerning is how the Rams lost. Super Bowl teams don't lose 3 games in a row. Let alone in the same manner. And although Green Bay might be the best team in the NFL, they are banged up right now. That should have been a W if all cylinders were firing.

The defensive scheme is a complete disaster. Any pass in the short-to-intermediate range is an automatic completion. Look at our 3rd and 4th down stats on defense, in particular. Awful. I would expect that from an outmatched defence at the college level, given the talent disparities that exist between some schools. Not in the NFL. There is zero excuse for that. Especially with the pieces the Rams have. Morris needs to go. NOW! Don't wait until the off-season. Fire him ASAP and insert an interim DC. Oh, and BTW... who is responsible for the Morris hire. Another great move by our boy genius HC...

The incompetency of our pass defence has severe ripple effects. Our pass rush can never get home. The ball coming out way too quickly. And since we can never get off the field, our already porous defence gets exhausted. I heard a stat that Aaron Rodgers got the ball out quicker vs. the Rams last night than almost any other game of his career. It's no accident. Jimmy G did the same. Any contending team can easily beat us with the same formula as long as Morris is at the helm.

I said it at the start of the year and maintain it today. Aaron Donald is still elite... but he is no longer superhuman. His advanced stats prove it, as does the eye test. AD99 no doubt has many productive years left. But before we know it, he will fall from elite to just very good. And then from very good to good. We are wasting his prime.

Stafford is brutal right now. Inaccurate on seemingly everything but the deep ball. Turning the ball over at key times. At his current form, Stafford is worse than Goff - just as many turnovers, at as bad (or worse...) times, but throwing behind players far more often than. I do suspect it is injury related. He looks like a completely different QB.

Our best bet for this offence, and to turn the season around, is that Stafford can heal up as the weeks go by without aggravating anything. And then maybe our offence can compensate for Morris' amateur defensive scheming. But injury concerns were a fair/reasonable worry with the Stafford trade. It is worrying that the critics citing injury concerns might be right. Still lots of football left. Let's see what he looks like in the playoffs. I do suspect the Rams will, at least, hang onto a wildcard spot.

How is Michel not RB1 by now? We need his tough running. Neither back is special but Sony is better suited than Hendo for what we need right now.

The offensive line has regressed. It seems we are really lacking push in the run game at key times.

I won't get into Sean McVay in detail. I've been saying it for years. Questionable play calls. Questionable personnel usage. Poor clock management and time out usage. The emperor has no clothes.

Punt returns are laughable. Just putt Kupp back there and have him fair catch everything. It's been almost 2 years now and we cannot find a returner. It's clear we have no answers. Just get the fair catch and be done with it. At least it avoids a negative play. If he has tons of grass (which, with this coverage team will surely never happen), Kupp can run for a few years then give himself up before contact.

We kept the wrong punter. Hekker is merely average now. We can get average for far less cap space.

Shockingly, despite the Rams poor play as of late, if not for turnovers and other self-inflicted wounds, we likely beat both GB and Tennessee. But the sample size is undeniable at this point. The turnovers and other mental lapses (drops, penalties, etc.) will continue. This is who the Rams are. It's finesse Fisherball.

If OBJ is hurt we are really going to be in trouble...

I like Van Jefferson but he will never be more than a #3. Good depth piece. Useful player. Adds some speed. Excels at post routes. Far too inconsistent. And I don't think it's simply a matter of needing experience. He has had enough reps now. Ball bouncing off helmets? That can't happen at the NFL level. And it's not something "experience" will fix.

Hollins coming back will be huge.

Reeder and Rapp are getting abused. The former just isn't good enough. The latter I think is 50-50 between misuse and abilities. I think Rapp can still be useful in various packages/capacities, but Morris is too incompetent to use him in a manner in which he can excel.

Lots of football left. The Rams can easily get hot and win this thing. I'll be here rooting them on. But I am very, VERY doubtful this staff can get it done. Our special teams unit is garabge. And on offence and defence, our coaching is average at best on both sides of the ball. McVay has been figured out for years now. Can you imagine how this McMvay/Morris duo would look with a roster with only mediocre talent levels?!?! :sick2:

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well he also lost fumbles for TDs

If he held onto the ball better, I believe he would still be on the team. Well....maybe
Stafford had basically a fumble 6 yesterday as well and has 10 TO on the season. Glad he knows how to protect the ball

Tano

Legend
Stafford had basically a fumble 6 yesterday as well and has 10 TO on the season. Glad he knows how to protect the ball
He holds onto the ball way too long and always has held onto the ball too long in the seasons with Detroit.

He always had a lot sacks on Detroit even though his line was actually better than our line last year.

That was my biggest concern with Stafford.

However, he was also more mobile than Goff and could escape more frequently while holding onto the ball longer and making some huge plays that way.

I haven't seen that in the last few weeks. Maybe his back isn't hurting him as much on his throws like he is saying but I bet it is affecting his mobility even though he may not realize it. Losing half a step is huge in football.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
Tampa won the Super Bowl last year after starting 7-5
I do not understand this? What does this have to do with the Rams? Cherry picking a story from the past doesn't mean anything....its like saying a team that has a QB go down is going to grab an old stock shelf boy and win a super bowl because Kurt Warner did it.

If anything, this Tampa scenario means its even less likely the Rams copy what a super bowl team did last season.
Again, I share your anger, frustration and disappointment.

I thought the 'mentally tough' comment was general-enough to be OK but this is a Vent Thread, so you may have a point. I am surprised so many posters are so certain that the Rams will not rally and play winning football.

This is an uncomfortable position for me, as I can sometimes be kind of a negative guy.
I think for me personally its that feeling my eyes and brain get when the Rams play a certain way. I am 50 and have seen a lot of Ram football so when I see "That" look of play from the Rams.........I am almost certain what it means.

In the McVay era we tend to win if we have an early lead and we tend to lose.....a lot......if we don't. So when football teams jump out by 10 against the Rams and the Rams play the game the same exact way every week.......well.......

Tano

Legend
Punt returns are laughable. Just putt Kupp back there and have him fair catch everything. It's been almost 2 years now and we cannot find a returner. It's clear we have no answers. Just get the fair catch and be done with it. At least it avoids a negative play. If he has tons of grass (which, with this coverage team will surely never happen), Kupp can run for a few years then give himself up before contact.
I agree, I would have Kupp run the few yards and then run out of bounds. Just don't let him get hit.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Yes, but he has better stats than Goff did last year!!! Same number of wins at this time, and gaining fast in the turnover department, but hey, more yards and more TDs!

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Nice post
There is no shame in losing to Green Bay in Lambeau. Especially in the cold as a warm weather team. What is so concerning is how the Rams lost. Super Bowl teams don't lose 3 games in a row. Let alone in the same manner. And although Green Bay might be the best team in the NFL, they are banged up right now. That should have been a W if all cylinders were firing.

The defensive scheme is a complete disaster. Any pass in the short-to-intermediate range is an automatic completion. Look at our 3rd and 4th down stats on defense, in particular. Awful. I would expect that from an outmatched defence at the college level, given the talent disparities that exist between some schools. Not in the NFL. There is zero excuse for that. Especially with the pieces the Rams have. Morris needs to go. NOW! Don't wait until the off-season. Fire him ASAP and insert an interim DC. Oh, and BTW... who is responsible for the Morris hire. Another great move by our boy genius HC...

The incompetency of our pass defence has severe ripple effects. Our pass rush can never get home. The ball coming out way too quickly. And since we can never get off the field, our already porous defence gets exhausted. I heard a stat that Aaron Rodgers got the ball out quicker vs. the Rams last night than almost any other game of his career. It's no accident. Jimmy G did the same. Any contending team can easily beat us with the same formula as long as Morris is at the helm.

I said it at the start of the year and maintain it today. Aaron Donald is still elite... but he is no longer superhuman. His advanced stats prove it, as does the eye test. AD99 no doubt has many productive years left. But before we know it, he will fall from elite to just very good. And then from very good to good. We are wasting his prime.

Stafford is brutal right now. Inaccurate on seemingly everything but the deep ball. Turning the ball over at key times. At his current form, Stafford is worse than Goff - just as many turnovers, at as bad (or worse...) times, but throwing behind players far more often than. I do suspect it is injury related. He looks like a completely different QB.

Our best bet for this offence, and to turn the season around, is that Stafford can heal up as the weeks go by without aggravating anything. And then maybe our offence can compensate for Morris' amateur defensive scheming. But injury concerns were a fair/reasonable worry with the Stafford trade. It is worrying that the critics citing injury concerns might be right. Still lots of football left. Let's see what he looks like in the playoffs. I do suspect the Rams will, at least, hang onto a wildcard spot.

How is Michel not RB1 by now? We need his tough running. Neither back is special but Sony is better suited than Hendo for what we need right now.

The offensive line has regressed. It seems we are really lacking push in the run game at key times.

I won't get into Sean McVay in detail. I've been saying it for years. Questionable play calls. Questionable personnel usage. Poor clock management and time out usage. The emperor has no clothes.

We kept the wrong punter. Hekker is merely average now. We can get average for far less cap space.

Shockingly, despite the Rams poor play as of late, if not for turnovers and other self-inflicted wounds, we likely beat both GB and Tennessee. But the sample size is undeniable at this point. The turnovers and other mental lapses (drops, penalties, etc.) will continue. This is who the Rams are. It's finesse Fisherball.

If OBJ is hurt we are really going to be in trouble...

I like Van Jefferson but he will never be more than a #3. Good depth piece. Useful player. Adds some speed. Excels at post routes. Far too inconsistent. And I don't think it's simply a matter of needing experience. He has had enough reps now. Ball bouncing off helmets? That can't happen at the NFL level. And it's not something "experience" will fix.

Hollins coming back will be huge.

Reeder and Rapp are getting abused. The former just isn't good enough. The latter I think is 50-50 between misuse and abilities. I think Rapp can still be useful in various packages/capacities, but Morris is too incompetent to use him in a manner in which he can excel.

Lots of football left. The Rams can easily get hot and win this thing. I'll be here rooting them on. But I am very, VERY doubtful this staff can get it done. Our special teams unit is garabge. And on offence and defence, our coaching is average at best on both sides of the ball. McVay has been figured out for years now. Can you imagine how this McMvay/Morris duo would look with a roster with only mediocre talent levels?!?! :sick2:
I wish mcvay would read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.