VENT Vent Thread - Rams at Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Hoecht is 300 lbs now. He ran that 4.5 when he was about 20 lbs lighter. They asked him to bulk up to play DT which he did. He's fast for a DE/DT but not coverage fast that much is obvious and anyone watching him chasing WRs can tell that. He has no business in coverage. But that is exactly what Morris is doing. He's using him as an OLB SAM. That role would be perfect for Hampton.

My problem with Morris is he doesn't know his roster and that is obvious by how he uses them. The fact he prefers a slow DK that must play 10 yds off the LOS because of his lack of speed. It leaves the short zone wide open. So WR fake a break in that short zone in front of DK and when he bites they run past him. DK lacks the speed to stay in phase so either he gets burned or more often grabs the WR for PI or holding. Go ahead watch him and that is what happens. This is what happens with a CB playing boundary who doesn't run at least a 4.5. God almighty it's basic football. What's worse he blows as many tackles as he makes, many of his tackles are half hearted attempts. Morris has faster more agile CBs but won't play them.

Hampton is an OLB with 4.58 speed why isn't he playing SAM? No Morris plays a guy who has always played DT then moved him to DE and now when he's finally getting that he moves him to play OLB in a SAM role which involves coverage something he must learn of the fly again. Why when he has a guy who is a fast OLB?

Hell Morris could play Fuller as a coverage LB in a WIL role but doesn't. Lake is already a better SS than Fuller who is slow even for a safety. Fuller has LB speed not safety speed. People complained about Rapp's speed, but Fuller is barely faster at 4.67.
No.
You're wrong.
I was wrong, btw.. on the 40.. it was a 4.65.. at 295 pounds.
He *lost* weight this offseason to play the edge full time. He's nowhere near 3 bills.

It's pretty standard in today's NFL to mix in a drop into zone with OLBS/DEs.. or did you miss the Rams game last week?

The funny thing is that teams aren't dinking and dunking up the field on the Rams.. they're running match zones which are STANDARD all across the NFL now. The Rams are getting GASHED by big play after big play because they simply can't get near the QB. How you don't see this is beyond me.

Hampton has always played edge.. but we're gonna experiment with him and hope he's better than Rozeboom? BTW... Lake's been decent at dime backer... and ILB is the least of this D's problems. Can't get to the QB and doesn't have any playmakers in the secondary.

Fuller is fine. He's not anything special.. but he's fine. We're going to move him for a guy who's not really built for deep coverage... why????

The Rams need a significant infusion of talent on D.. shifting around parts and just hoping ain't a plan.

dang

Legend
The Rams are now in Full 2024 mode. McVay needs to find a way to not completely lose the team this year (rebuild trust for Donald, Stafford, Kupp, EJones, Hav, Nacua, Avilla, Young) as that will carry over to 2024.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everybody blaming the D
p7eoo6lpt8xb1.jpg

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
It's not "far from great", it's incompetent.

Giving up 16 on the road is excellent.

Sucked at the end.

But.. if you're coming to me in the locker room.. and I'm a defensive player.. and you tell me it's my fault we lost the game? It's a fight. Period.
So we don't ever have to hold the defense to account for how it performs on the field because the Offense doesn't do it's job well enough and/or the front office doesn't get it enough players.

Good to know.

AZRams

If it was the opposite scenario? Say the Rams were losing a game 47-45 and the defense got a stop but the offense couldn’t get even a first down?

I sure as hell would NOT be blaming the offense.
How? That's their fucking job...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
So we don't ever have to hold the defense to account for how it performs on the field because the Offense doesn't do it's job well enough and/or the front office doesn't get it enough players.

Good to know.
Wild that you don't understand "accountability."

If you're a leader and light up your defense for that? And blame them? You've lost them. Guaranteed.

If you were watching that game, you'd understand that they were 100% fucking gassed at that point. That's why they were celebrating when they got off the field the series before. They gave it all.
Tampa ran 79 plays to the Rams 55. Do you understand how that works?

I guess not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You guys should take the offense vs defense shit to the Morris thread and have a great time.

Both units fucking suck and both deserve to be criticized without excuses trying to shift blame either direction.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed and was going to comment on the schedule. We may be 6-2 if we played the Dolphins schedule and they certainly would not be 6-2 if they played ours.

Seahawks, Niners, Bengals, Eagles, Steelers and Cowboys all have winning records. That's an insane start to the season.

We need to win three of the next four if we have any hope of sneaking in as the 7 seed....Packers/Seahawks/Cardinals/Browns.

But really we need to sit back and enjoy watching the young guys grow. CB, EDGE, G in FA and then LT/QB or QB/LT in the draft and we will be contenders again.
I agree on 3 of 4 of those games needing to be wins. Seahawks are gonna come for blood, that will be rough but we do match up well with them. But I do think we split the four games at worst.

If Stafford misses any of those games for injury then we will probably lose. Philosophically I am fine with losing too. I will piss and moan with each loss but the higher we pick the better. Just look at the quality OL we got from picking early 2nd this year.

If that first pick is top ten we will have a ton of options.

Yeah, I think so too. We need the best HEALTHY LT prospect that we can find next year. As far as a rookie QB, you have to draft really high to get a good one (first 5 picks in the draft), but which comes first, the QB or the LT? I think if we fail the rest of the season, Sean McVay will pick a QB because he's loves skill players more than linemen. I was blown away by the Avila pick this year, to be honest.

What I saw today was a complete breakdown of the team. We have so many young players, will they be crushed by this? The Cowboys were playing against semi-pro players today, it seemed. This might be the worst loss I've seen in a long time and I hope that it didn't break their spirit.
He will probably take a wideout. :laugh4:

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If it's a top ten pick.. unless one of the elite guys are available at QB.. I'll take offers to move back before I make any decisions.

I'm not opposed to using the pick.
That second is pretty high.. so you can trade back with that and get more decent picks.
If you're not going QB.. and DO draft an LT up there..
I'd say trade back that second and get an RB.. and a Center with the next two picks.

I think that those three picks could do WONDERS for this offense.

younghutch

UDFA
McVay has a "Stafford" problem. He's so enamored with Matthew's arm talent that it has distorted his view of how games are won.

McVay was a better coach when he had less talented QBs.

oldnotdead

Legend
They are paying the price for being cavalier about their backup QB situation. McVay farmed out the choice to subordinates who obviously didn't vet their choice well. Now with once again a hobbled Stafford they have a guy that can't carry this offense. Wouldn't surprise me if Colt McCoy isn't brought in on Tuesday.

This offense is mired in mediocrity despite having two of the top WRs in the NFL. Why? Because the HC refuses to run the ball and insists upon using the second best RB remaining on his roster as his lead RB. He exposes is newly installed OL by allowing the defense to simply tee of on them. This is a huge coaching failure by McVay. He allows Morris to continue to start DK his buddy instead of benching him. Any other player would have been benched a long time ago for his poor play. The plays DK make pale compared to the hugely costly mistakes he makes and his clearly being outclassed athletically by the better WRs. He's hardly what you want as your #1CB despite being hugely outplayed by Witherspoon.

This season's success hung on the success by the coaching staff and they clearly have failed this team. The game plan both offensively and defensively was piss poor today. Everyone points to the players as the reason but I completely disagree. These have been coaching failures. McVay's refusal to run the ball despite more than adequate evidence of it's benefits, and Morris' failure to properly game plan their opponents. His defense is the same each week with only minor tweaks. He makes it all too easy for opposing OCs.

1. Royce Freeman has proved he's their best RB but continues to be under used.
2. DK has shown himself to be an albatross around the neck of the defense but continues to start. Morris refuses to admit he has other options. after another game of massive failures by DK Raheem will continue to trot him out there with no consequences. You don't think this isn't lost on the other players? Durant makes a few mistakes and he's deemed a backup. DK helps lose games but it's ok with Raheem.
3. Hoecht can't cover. But Raheem doesn't notice probably assuming he doesn't have anyone else.
4. Lake has shown he's more versatile and better overall, but Fuller continues to start.
5. The OL has proved they can run block but McVay doesn't care and doesn't use the run.
6. Bennett didn't play as well as contended by the team. He's been gone for weeks but the team hasn't bothered to bring in a legit backup. Rypien isn't any better than Wolford.
7. McVay assumed Maher solved their kicking woes and didn't want to be bothered with anyone else even on the PS.
8. STs have looked subpar all year but Blackburn still has a job.
9. They have no legit return threat on STs but that is fine with McVay. Powell was clearly better than Trammell but McVay got rid of Powell.

All poor coaching decisions. IMO McVay is going through the motions of coaching now that he has a family. Snead needs to shake him the fuck up and if not then Kalen Deboer will probably be available after the collegiate season. That guy is a winner. I said before the season that the coaches would determine whether it's a winner or not. It's still not out of reach but McVay needs to get off his ass and do what he must.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are paying the price for being cavalier about their backup QB situation. McVay farmed out the choice to subordinates who obviously didn't vet their choice well. Now with once again a hobbled Stafford they have a guy that can't carry this offense. Wouldn't surprise me if Colt McCoy isn't brought in on Tuesday.
McCoy would be a nice addition. He's well steeped in the WCO and can move a bit. Backup level type but I'd love to have him at this point.

Once again I'd bring Matt Corral in to the PS and let McVay have at least a week or so with him. But he's not as play ready as McCoy. And McCoy isn't exactly play ready overall either, but he's better than what we have behind Matty.

AZRams

McCoy would be a nice addition. He's well steeped in the WCO and can move a bit. Backup level type but I'd love to have him at this point.

Once again I'd bring Matt Corral in to the PS and let McVay have at least a week or so with him. But he's not as play ready as McCoy. And McCoy isn't exactly play ready overall either, but he's better than what we have behind Matty.
If McCoy could still play me thinks he'd have been starting in AZ. You guys have seen the way Dobbs has played, no?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

This offense is mired in mediocrity despite having two of the top WRs in the NFL. Why? Because the HC refuses to run the ball and insists upon using the second best RB remaining on his roster as his lead RB. He exposes is newly installed OL by allowing the defense to simply tee of on them. This is a huge coaching failure by McVay. He allows Morris to continue to start DK his buddy instead of benching him. Any other player would have been benched a long time ago for his poor play. The plays DK make pale compared to the hugely costly mistakes he makes and his clearly being outclassed athletically by the better WRs. He's hardly what you want as your #1CB despite being hugely outplayed by Witherspoon.

This season's success hung on the success by the coaching staff and they clearly have failed this team. The game plan both offensively and defensively was piss poor today. Everyone points to the players as the reason but I completely disagree. These have been coaching failures. McVay's refusal to run the ball despite more than adequate evidence of it's benefits, and Morris' failure to properly game plan their opponents. His defense is the same each week with only minor tweaks. He makes it all too easy for opposing OCs.

1. Royce Freeman has proved he's their best RB but continues to be under used.
2. DK has shown himself to be an albatross around the neck of the defense but continues to start. Morris refuses to admit he has other options. after another game of massive failures by DK Raheem will continue to trot him out there with no consequences. You don't think this isn't lost on the other players? Durant makes a few mistakes and he's deemed a backup. DK helps lose games but it's ok with Raheem.
3. Hoecht can't cover. But Raheem doesn't notice probably assuming he doesn't have anyone else.
4. Lake has shown he's more versatile and better overall, but Fuller continues to start.
5. The OL has proved they can run block but McVay doesn't care and doesn't use the run.
6. Bennett didn't play as well as contended by the team. He's been gone for weeks but the team hasn't bothered to bring in a legit backup. Rypien isn't any better than Wolford.
7. McVay assumed Maher solved their kicking woes and didn't want to be bothered with anyone else even on the PS.
8. STs have looked subpar all year but Blackburn still has a job.
9. They have no legit return threat on STs but that is fine with McVay. Powell was clearly better than Trammell but McVay got rid of Powell.

All poor coaching decisions. IMO McVay is going through the motions of coaching now that he has a family. Snead needs to shake him the fuck up and if not then Kalen Deboer will probably be available after the collegiate season. That guy is a winner. I said before the season that the coaches would determine whether it's a winner or not. It's still not out of reach but McVay needs to get off his ass and do what he must.
Maybe you don't watch?
Durant started at CB... hurt immediately.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Rough day for both of us, Rammers. Let us commiserate together! For it has been told many a time misery likes company.

Losing to the Cowboys is no fun. I remember back in STL when Austin Davis had a three score lead and ended up losing the game in the second half. I went to the game with a family of DAL fans and that was a long car ride home.

Since I've been a Chiefs fan I've never experienced a defeat against DEN. Let me tell you, it's truly awful. It feels worse than the DET loss. It insides feel nothing but dull melancholy and I don't even want to watch the game next week because it's 8:30 am central time. Goodness.

Last edited:

lordbannon

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expected a loss in this one. Take away the 3 minutes of everything that could go wrong going wrong, and it wasn't really any worse than I expected.

But why the hell - on every 3rd and 3+ (well, until around 3rd and 17 when you know its going to be a draw) - do we call plays that take 6 seconds to develop? With our offensive line and that defensive line? I get our reads are deep to short. But damnit, maybe make some exceptions.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
BTW to the Officials for the first call of the game against the Rams, i have a joke for them.

RamWoodie

Legend
I posted last week the Dline would have trouble keeping Dak in the pocket. After 3 sacks of Dak Dallas adjusted well and Dak knew he would have to scramble.

The Rams Dline can't get good pressure because teams know if they get AD99 blocked they'll have time.

They secondary can't cover forever...in fact no secondary can.

The good thing is SF lost...OTOH the Hags won...so the story in the division ain't over yet.

RamWoodie

Legend
Move Hoecht to the DLine and things will be better. He can't cover at LB...he's fast straight on but a liability in coverage at 310 lbs.

Put Mathis at OLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.