VENT Vent Thread - Rams at Cowboys

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expected a loss in this one. Take away the 3 minutes of everything that could go wrong going wrong, and it wasn't really any worse than I expected.

But why the hell - on every 3rd and 3+ (well, until around 3rd and 17 when you know its going to be a draw) - do we call plays that take 6 seconds to develop? With our offensive line and that defensive line? I get our reads are deep to short. But damnit, maybe make some exceptions.
The primary issue on third and 3-5 yards is that the Rams are hesitant to run the ball. For good reason. We have a much higher chance of success with the quick passes. So for defenses it's a big difference in the mentality when you know the chance of getting burnt on your run responsibilities is just about nil. All they have to do is roll it up tight and bring the house because with this OL someone will get home.

OL needs to do better in pass pro. But also they need to do better on the ground. And the ground game is affected by the backfield as well, which right now (and every fucking season going back post-Gurley) is a shambles.

For now in order to beat the so-so teams on our sched after the bye the primary thing they have to do is pass protect better. Do that and Stafford will win us a lot of those games. We basically win and lose based on our pass pro. But going forward it would be nice to see the run game dimension back in the offense and it's something McVay needs to prioritize to get this offense back on top. In today's league with so many teams playing two deep, only threatening with the pass is hard fucking sledding.

Everyone freaks out about the lack of run calls but that is the end result of personnel issues which are not exempting McVay from responsibility, because it's on him and Snead that once again they're not fucking prepared to run the ball. This is not a new thing it is an every season thing and Stafford is damn near out of gas so they have to get this right in 2024 if they want to take one last shot at a title with the QB they paid.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I posted last week the Dline would have trouble keeping Dak in the pocket. After 3 sacks of Dak Dallas adjusted well and Dak knew he would have to scramble.

The Rams Dline can't get good pressure because teams know if they get AD99 blocked they'll have time.

They secondary can't cover forever...in fact no secondary can.

The good thing is SF lost...OTOH the Hags won...so the story in the division ain't over yet.
Sorry man, we are too inconsistent to win the division. A wild card is still possible, but that requires us to stop looking like shit and for some teams to lose as well. At the end of the day, this team is deficient of talent to really be taken seriously as contenders.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Move Hoecht to the DLine and things will be better. He can't cover at LB...he's fast straight on but a liability in coverage at 310 lbs.

Put Mathis at OLB.
The only drop that I condone with an OLB is the flat responsibility, and that's not for a guy like Hoecht but rather the big rangy type edges who have better lateral speed. Hoecht has his hands full just trying to remember to keep his contain responsibilities. Half his problems are mental I think. Dallas beat him outside on a run call yesterday with a nice gainer because he went inside move, which was probably bad luck, maybe even a slant call for the guys up front cannot recall tbh, but either way it happens to him too much for him to be a long term answer.

He's just a stopgap for this season because they knew they'd be short at edge. Rams will draft another edge this offseason or sign a FA addition and Hoecht will go back to the DL rotation where he should be. But I don't think Mathis is better than him. Mathis just needs to keep working on his game until he can beat Hoecht out for snaps because Hoecht is kind of sneaky with his pressures he just has zero awareness of contain.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm over this loss but how can the Rams defense look so overwhelming and pressure/sack Dak Prescott so many times in the first series and then... poof... nothing the rest of the game?

And speaking of the first series, look at what happened to the Rams D after that piss-poor penalty call when they held the Cowboys O and had them ready to punt? We've seen this before... The D gets a shit call and then they implode. I guess that's what happens to first-year players? Or players with little confidence?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
McCoy would be a nice addition. He's well steeped in the WCO and can move a bit. Backup level type but I'd love to have him at this point.

Once again I'd bring Matt Corral in to the PS and let McVay have at least a week or so with him. But he's not as play ready as McCoy. And McCoy isn't exactly play ready overall either, but he's better than what we have behind Matty.
If Corral is available, we should have him in at back up ahead of Rypien in a heart beat. At least Corral has potential, Rypien has had a chance multiple times in his career and failed miserably in all of them. He is Wolford with a different name. Corral had 1st round talent 2 years ago.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Corral is available, we should have him in at back up ahead of Rypien in a heart beat. At least Corral has potential, Rypien has had a chance multiple times in his career and failed miserably in all of them. He is Wolford with a different name. Corral had 1st round talent 2 years ago.
I will admit the fact he doesn't have a job, and the way he just walked out on Belicheat, have me thinking he's probably done in the NFL. Also I wouldn't say he had first round talent, but what I like about him is he has the tools and ran an offense in college that had him doing complicated run/pass reads that weren't NFL level but that require quick decision making, and also he learned some WCO gobbledeegook with Carolina (the Packer branch) which means it won't be like the Pats where he'd get a playbook written in Russian.

Could be that he's just lost the give a fuck to grind, which might be the biggest thing you need in the NFL as a QB. But yeah I am hoping they add him to the PS because he's available and speaks the language. They could do that plus still add a guy like McCoy to the active roster. Have to think some move is made this week though.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
McVay in his latest presser. Stafford pick 6. "I couldn't love anyone more than Matthew."
Goff pick 6. "Our QB has to protect the ball better".
McVay has some serious bro love for Stafford.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay in his latest presser. Stafford pick 6. "I couldn't love anyone more than Matthew."
You don't see the qualitative difference between the two QBs?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Newsflash: winning him a Super Bowl is gonna earn you some points with McVay.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
I do. Goff is better.
Los Angeles Lakers Wtf GIF by ESPN

He's not as bad as some seem to think, but...

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I do. Goff is better.
Oh.

Well.. Stafford can make plays that Goff cannot and can be the driving force behind victories.. as opposed to being a very good performer within a very good system.

Stafford has also had rough stretches in his career.

The highs are higher for Stafford and that's pretty clear.

There's also the very dramatic difference in their performances in the Super Bowl.

But.. you do you.

Rams8821

Pro Bowler
For christ sake the guy won him a Super Bowl, wouldnt you?

Had Goff beaten NE in Atlanta the love would have been there as well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Superbowl Ring says different. So does their entire catalog of NFL stats. I get it tho, I love goff too. I'll be rooting for the Lions if they make the postseason.
Yup.
Have nothing against Goff and am impressed with how he's handled everything and with his performance this year.

Tano

Legend
For christ sake the guy won him a Super Bowl, wouldnt you?

Had Goff beaten NE in Atlanta the love would have been there as well.
If Kupp was available or if Cooks catches one of the two hard to catch balls (low possibility but a great receiver makes those catches), then we will that Superbowl. I know I know .... if if if

NYCRam

Rookie
If Kupp was available or if Cooks catches one of the two hard to catch balls (low possibility but a great receiver makes those catches), then we will that Superbowl. I know I know .... if if if
1. If Kupp was available- we win
2. First hard catch for Cooks- Goff's fault (bad pass)
3. Second hard catch for Cooks- Ref's fault. Perfect pass by Goff. Clear Pass Interference. The Refs weren't letting Rams win that game after Nickell Robey-Coleman New Orleans fiasco.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will admit the fact he doesn't have a job, and the way he just walked out on Belicheat, have me thinking he's probably done in the NFL. Also I wouldn't say he had first round talent, but what I like about him is he has the tools and ran an offense in college that had him doing complicated run/pass reads that weren't NFL level but that require quick decision making, and also he learned some WCO gobbledeegook with Carolina (the Packer branch) which means it won't be like the Pats where he'd get a playbook written in Russian.

Could be that he's just lost the give a fuck to grind, which might be the biggest thing you need in the NFL as a QB. But yeah I am hoping they add him to the PS because he's available and speaks the language. They could do that plus still add a guy like McCoy to the active roster. Have to think some move is made this week though.
Ship has sailed on Corral, kid is a head case. There's a reason why he's still out there in the wind. Carolina didnt even want him back for the PS, opted for Jake Luton instead

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup.
Have nothing against Goff and am impressed with how he's handled everything and with his performance this year.
He had the deck stacked so hard against him in Detroit. Team was trash and he had literally the worst group of WR I'd have ever seen.
Seemed destined for "bridge QB", but persevered and ultimately has become a major factor in the team's resurgence

Status
Not open for further replies.