Urban Meyer is a complete scumbag.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This isn't even about the Sandusky case--but if you want to go into that we can. The reason Paterno had his legacy tainted and where he was wrong revolves around the Mike McQueary situation where he was handed information that never made its way to the police. They failed to pass information on to the right people (it was passed on, but to the wrong people who did nothing with it).

You want this so badly to be like the Sandusky case, but it isn't. Meyer isn't and wasn't in possession of information held from the authorities. What is it people wanted him to do? Fire Smith because he was investigated (mind you never charged or arrested) for an event he denied then and actually still denies now when there wasn't enough information for even the police to act on?

No, I want to hold people accountable for valuing winning over principles. Urban knew about Smith's DV issues dating back to 2009. Coaches have been fired for less. Urban could have taken a stand, done the right thing, and tried to make some positive difference. He didn't. At best, he did the bare minimum that his job required. And then to make matters worse, he LIED about knowing when called on it. The comparison here is that Joe Paterno was guilty of the same thing. Rather than looking out for the victims, he did the bare minimum that his job required, and that's what tainted his legacy.

Urban could have fired Smith and tried to help his wife. I don't care to hear excuses for why he didn't. I have a number of friends who are prosecutors. It is very hard to prosecute DV cases. That doesn't mean that there's nothing Urban could have done. The simple truth is that Urban didn't care. He's always been a scumbag who prioritizes winning over everything else. It has made him a very successful coach, so I guess that's good enough for some. Frankly, Joe Paterno was a much better man than Urban Meyer, but both guys fell victim to the same mistake. I have little doubt at this point that OSU will keep Urban (if they don't, hat's off to them). They've been looking for an excuse to do so, but I'm still going to call a spade a spade.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ohio State board of directors held a meeting this morning at 9am. Still waiting to hear what comes of it. Several of us figured there would be an update by now.

I think it all comes down to this: if Urban did what he was supposed to do, he will be fine - if he didn't, he will be gone - but either way, someone will probably be losing their job in the near future.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I want to hold people accountable for valuing winning over principles. Urban knew about Smith's DV issues dating back to 2009. Coaches have been fired for less. Urban could have taken a stand, done the right thing, and tried to make some positive difference. He didn't. At best, he did the bare minimum that his job required. And then to make matters worse, he LIED about knowing when called on it. The comparison here is that Joe Paterno was guilty of the same thing. Rather than looking out for the victims, he did the bare minimum that his job required, and that's what tainted his legacy.

Urban could have fired Smith and tried to help his wife. I don't care to hear excuses for why he didn't. I have a number of friends who are prosecutors. It is very hard to prosecute DV cases. That doesn't mean that there's nothing Urban could have done. The simple truth is that Urban didn't care. He's always been a scumbag who prioritizes winning over everything else. It has made him a very successful coach, so I guess that's good enough for some. Frankly, Joe Paterno was a much better man than Urban Meyer, but both guys fell victim to the same mistake. I have little doubt at this point that OSU will keep Urban (if they don't, hat's off to them). They've been looking for an excuse to do so, but I'm still going to call a spade a spade.

If events hypothetically play out like this, do you think Urban should be fired?

-In 2009 Smith tells a different side of the story and Urban doesn't know what to believe

-In 2015 Urban reports the issue upstream

-At media week he ends up saying that he lied because he didn't want the media to only ask him questions about that issue

I have no clue what could happen - but I've been reserving judgement until I get the facts. Urban could very well be a "scumbag" - but right now I'm not sure.

If you do think that he still should be fired if the above were true, I have to ask why college football head coaches would be held to a higher standard than a regular person?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If events hypothetically play out like this, do you think Urban should be fired?

-In 2009 Smith tells a different side of the story and Urban doesn't know what to believe

-In 2015 Urban reports the issue upstream

-At media week he ends up saying that he lied because he didn't want the media to only ask him questions about that issue

I have no clue what could happen - but I've been reserving judgement until I get the facts. Urban could very well be a "scumbag" - but right now I'm not sure.

If you do think that he still should be fired if the above were true, I have to ask why college football head coaches would be held to a higher standard than a regular person?

Yes. He should be fired. I'd hold any person to that same moral standard.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. He should be fired. I'd hold any person to that same moral standard.

Okay - so I have 10 people that work for me. If one of them was abusing their spouse, I should fire them? There would most likely be repercussions for the company if I do that.

Unfortunately beating your spouse is not grounds for termination, and even in an at-will state like Ohio, you can get sued for that.

That may not be the case for college football.

If Urban gets fired, that's fine. But there are probably several people even closer to the situation who nobody seems to care about and it's most likely because Urban Meyer is famous. Bugs me.

…..

Legend
I dont care if Meyer gets fired or not. Either way, the moral police will sit on their high horse and cast down their judgments despite being much much further away from the truth than Urban ever was. The dude already said he lied to Meyer about some things and did'nt inform him about others, but no matter, it seems some have found a platform to perch upon and prop themselves up to display their superior moral fiber by simply denouncing the easy target whether truth and factual information be attached or not.

To those that can sit around and color him guilty of anything (besides lying) without any real knowledge ....I'm glad you found your moment to feel good by making your moral stance against a man that never hit his wife lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay - so I have 10 people that work for me. If one of them was abusing their spouse, I should fire them? There would most likely be repercussions for the company if I do that.

Unfortunately beating your spouse is not grounds for termination, and even in an at-will state like Ohio, you can get sued for that.

That may not be the case for college football.

If Urban gets fired, that's fine. But there are probably several people even closer to the situation who nobody seems to care about and it's most likely because Urban Meyer is famous. Bugs me.

Beating your spouse is definitely grounds for termination in an at-will state.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Beating your spouse is definitely grounds for termination in an at-will state.

And you don’t even need that much. I wonder if assistant coaches are at will or under contracts. If under contract, then that’s why you have those kinds of clauses in there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And you don’t even need that much. I wonder if assistant coaches are at will or under contracts. If under contract, then that’s why you have those kinds of clauses in there.

They're under contract, and I can guarantee you there's a clause in there that would allow for them to be fired if they did that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont care if Meyer gets fired or not. Either way, the moral police will sit on their high horse and cast down their judgments despite being much much further away from the truth than Urban ever was. The dude already said he lied to Meyer about some things and did'nt inform him about others, but no matter, it seems some have found a platform to perch upon and prop themselves up to display their superior moral fiber by simply denouncing the easy target whether truth and factual information be attached or not.

To those that can sit around and color him guilty of anything (besides lying) without any real knowledge ....I'm glad you found your moment to feel good by making your moral stance against a man that never hit his wife lol

Without any real knowledge of what? Urban admitted he lied, he admitted he knew in 2015, and there are sufficient facts out to prove that he knew in 2009 as well. Personally, I have more than enough "outrage" to criticize the man who hit his wife (Smith) and the man who protected the man who hit his wife (Meyer). I guess you can only settle for one. :LOL:

…..

Legend
Without any real knowledge of what? Urban admitted he lied, he admitted he knew in 2015, and there are sufficient facts out to prove that he knew in 2009 as well. Personally, I have more than enough "outrage" to criticize the man who hit his wife (Smith) and the man who protected the man who hit his wife (Meyer). I guess you can only settle for one. :LOL:

Lying isn't against the law. We have a president who does it daily. And even you can recognize that the venue was inappropriate for the question. Admittedly, Meyer should have shut the reporter down in another way. But it still isnt enough to support your phrase that Meyer somehow protected the dude. You cant know that and that would imply intent, which is way out of what any of us can know about this saga.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lying isn't against the law. We have a president who does it daily. And even you can recognize that the venue was inappropriate for the question. Admittedly, Meyer should have shut the reporter down in another way. But it still isnt enough to support your phrase that Meyer somehow protected the dude. You cant know that and that would imply intent, which is way out of what any of us can know about this saga.

I don't know about you, Dog, but I don't lie when I have nothing to hide. I don't care if the question is inappropriate. If I don't feel it's appropriate, I say that. If I give an answer, it's the truth. When I do lie, I have a reason. Meyer protected Zach Smith in 2009, and he did it again in 2015.

EDIT: And Meyer is still lying:
https://www.tampabay.com/sports/col...handling-domestic-abuse-allegations_171132948
Courtney said Zach shoved her against a wall and put his hands around her neck in 2015. The university put Meyer on paid leave Aug. 1 and began its investigation after Courtney Smith spoke out publicly, sharing text messages and photos she traded in 2015 with Meyer’s wife, Shelley. Shelley Meyer is a registered nurse and instructor at Ohio State.
. . . .
Meyer said he was not aware of the text messages Courtney Smith sent to his wife. When asked if he had a message for Courtney Smith, Meyer said: "I have a message for everyone involved in this: I’m sorry we’re in this situation."

…..

Legend
I don't know about you, Dog, but I don't lie when I have nothing to hide. I don't care if the question is inappropriate. If I don't feel it's appropriate, I say that. If I give an answer, it's the truth. When I do lie, I have a reason. Meyer protected Zach Smith in 2009, and he did it again in 2015.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/col...handling-domestic-abuse-allegations_171132948
Courtney said Zach shoved her against a wall and put his hands around her neck in 2015. The university put Meyer on paid leave Aug. 1 and began its investigation after Courtney Smith spoke out publicly, sharing text messages and photos she traded in 2015 with Meyer’s wife, Shelley. Shelley Meyer is a registered nurse and instructor at Ohio State.
. . . .
Meyer said he was not aware of the text messages Courtney Smith sent to his wife. When asked if he had a message for Courtney Smith, Meyer said: "I have a message for everyone involved in this: I’m sorry we’re in this situation."
Ok....I think I have it.

Because you dont lie unless you have a reason
Because Courtney said Zach pushed her against a wall
Because Courtney sent Shelly text messages in 2015 ( isnt it lucky she still has them?)
And Shelley is a nurse
And because Meyer is sorry we're on this situation.

All that makes Urban Meyer a scumbag who should be terminated for protecting a wife beater...."protecting" him of course, so he can beat her more I would assume?

Yeah it all makes perfect sense now.

Why isnt anyone calling for Shelley Meyer to get fired? Who's calling her a scumbag? She got the text messages...she went to the wives socials and got the goods and rumors and inuendos. Heck, she's a nurse. She's an employee of the school just like Urban Meyer. Why is it that Urban Meyer faces the scrutiny because Shelley Meyer did not go to the authorities?

I think Shelley Meyer is the scumbag here! I'm not a nurse but I've applied a bandage before and I WOULD NEVER ALLOW A PICTURE OF AN INJURY TO GO UNREPORTED. I HAVE FRIENDS THAT APPLIED BANDAGES TOO AND THEY THINK SHELLEY KNOWS SOMETHING AS WELL

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok....I think I have it.

Because you dont lie unless you have a reason
Because Courtney said Zach pushed her against a wall
Because Courtney sent Shelly text messages in 2015 ( isnt it lucky she still has them?)
And Shelley is a nurse
And because Meyer is sorry we're on this situation.

All that makes Urban Meyer a scumbag who should be terminated for protecting a wife beater...."protecting" him of course, so he can beat her more I would assume?

Yeah it all makes perfect sense now.

Why isnt anyone calling for Shelley Meyer to get fired? Who's calling her a scumbag? She got the text messages...she went to the wives socials and got the goods and rumors and inuendos. Heck, she's a nurse. She's an employee of the school just like Urban Meyer. Why is it that Urban Meyer faces the scrutiny because Shelley Meyer did not go to the authorities?

I think Shelley Meyer is the scumbag here! I'm not a nurse but I've applied a bandage before and I WOULD NEVER ALLOW A PICTURE OF AN INJURY TO GO UNREPORTED. I HAVE FRIENDS THAT APPLIED BANDAGES TOO AND THEY THINK SHELLEY KNOWS SOMETHING AS WELL

This is the Urban Meyer thread. Feel free to make one for his wife, and I'll happily condemn her too. And by your response, Dog, I guess you lie for fun? I think it's a safe assumption that the vast majority of the population doesn't lie unless they have a reason. It's weird to me that you're so eager to paint Courtney as a lawyer despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

…..

Legend
In America we've always had a problem with Mob mentalities and proving ourselves to mass audiences.I guess its some gene inside us that needs to feel better. My fun is watching that little yellow bus go by filled with folks wielding their torches and pitchforks who think they're somehow above it all and in a position to pass their judgment as truth. even though facts are missing. The reality is that Meyer is the current easy target and people like to use easy targets to display their moral high ground. Its unfortunate but its really as simple as this " Urban Meyer did bad things and I'm denouncing him because I would never do such a thing, so lets fire him!" {insert roar of angry mob crowd}

I have much more respect for the guy that simply says "Meyer was a dueshbag at Florida and I don't like him"

Enjoy the bus ride sir!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

. . . .

What Meyer actually said was "at that (or the) time" regarding the texts.

The reason why I wanted to wait for all the info is exactly because of what has happened. You have to read between the lines, because Meyer and Smith are both saying the right things. But we've heard rumblings of Courtney Smith being "crazy" herself.

Now, before I say anything else - Zach Smith is a piece of shit. Man deserves to be in prison because there's no excuse to physically harm another human being.

But from Urban's perspective, he (still) knows much more than we ever will having lived through the situation. So based on everything that's come out, this is what I believe happened:

Courtney played a part in this and when Urban heard all the details, he didn't know who to believe (he basically said this) - so he waited for the police to do something in the 9 times they were called over the period of a few years. When they didn't, I'm guessing Urban started believing Zach's side of these stories.

What we are doing is focusing on Urban when we should be persecuting the justice system and/or police force for not being able to or not having the authority to handle these situations.

So now Urban has both sides of the story and the police haven't arrested anyone - I can easily see why he elected to wait. I'm sure he told Zach that he should leave Courtney (based on whatever Zach's version of events were) - I am also equally confident that Shelly and the other coaches wives spent at least some time alone with Courtney and based on that, you have to wonder why there was so much inaction - my guess is that in knowing Courtney and Zach, the conclusion was that they are both "crazy" and "perfect" for each other.

Factoring all that in, it makes complete sense that Urban would have stayed out of it. And all he had to do to avoid the suspension altogether was not lie at media day. My guess for why he did was to protect Zach Smith and shield himself from having to answer questions about it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks an awful lot like Urban did some lying and attempted to cover things up:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ummary-findings-casts-doubt-coach-urban-meyer
Among other items detailed in that report are:

• Urban Meyer told investigators that Zach and Courtney Smith met with him in his office at Florida in 2009, and they told him Zach's arrest for aggravated battery on a pregnant female had been based off incorrect information Courtney provided to police. Courtney Smith denied meeting with Meyer or recanting any of her allegations; Zach Smith also recalled that only he met with Meyer. Investigators found that it's likely only Zach Smith met with Meyer, and that both Urban and Shelley Meyer believed Courtney Smith "was not entirely truthful when she called 911 to have Zach arrested."

Meyer did not inform athletic director Gene Smith or anyone at Ohio State about Zach Smith's 2009 arrest when Meyer hired him as an assistant coach in December 2011. Ohio State performed a standard background check on Zach Smith in 2011, but it neither sought nor received arrest information. Gene Smith told investigators he did not become aware of Zach Smith's 2009 arrest until a media report last month.

• In the fall of 2015, Courtney Smith told Shelley Meyer of Zach's alleged abuse in a series of text messages and phone calls. Shelley Meyer repeatedly expressed concern for Courtney Smith's well-being, and, according to investigators, contacted the Powell Police Department in Ohio to find out more information on the investigation of Zach Smith. Shelley Meyer told investigators she did not relay Courtney Smith's text messages to Urban Meyer because "she had doubts about the veracity of Courtney Smith's allegations."

Urban Meyer denied knowing about the text messages Courtney Smith sent to his wife in 2015, but the independent investigators concluded that "given the closeness of their relationship and Shelley's concerns, we believe it is likely that Shelley and Urban Meyer had at least some communication about these allegations in 2015 and were concerned about them, although both had doubts about the credibility of Courtney's claims ..."

• Meyer told investigators he had no memory of the 2015 investigation of Zach Smith when he appeared at Big Ten media days on July 24 in Chicago. He said he focused his responses solely on an accusation that Zach Smith was arrested on a felony charge in 2015, which proved to be erroneous. But in a text message chain obtained by investigators, Gene Smith advised Meyer to acknowledge he knew about two legal situations involving Zach Smith in 2009 and 2015. Meyer acknowledged receiving the text.

When repeatedly asked about the 2015 investigation of Zach Smith, Meyer denied any knowledge of the situation, saying, "I don't know who creates a story like that." Both Gene Smith and football operations director Brian Voltolini, surprised by Meyer's comments in Chicago, later informed Meyer that he was, in fact, aware of the 2015 investigation into domestic violence allegations against Zach Smith.

"We cannot logically square Coach Meyer's responses on Big Ten Media Days broadly denying knowledge of the 2015 events regarding Zach Smith with his extensive knowledge of those events in 2015 and the evident knowledge of AD Gene Smith of the 2015 events reflected in the group text message of July 23 and July 24, 2018 sent to Coach Meyer," investigators wrote in their report.

Investigators acknowledged that Urban Meyer was affected by the firing of Zach Smith, as well as the erroneous report about Smith's felony arrest in 2015. Investigators also learned Meyer "sometimes had significant memory issues in other situations where he had prior extensive knowledge of events" and that the coach has periodically taken medicine that "can negatively impair his memory, concentration, and focus."
. . . .
• On Aug. 1, after a published report indicated that Urban and Shelley Meyer were aware of Courtney Smith's allegations of abuse and a police investigation in 2015, OSU chief of football operations Brian Voltolini approached Meyer on the practice field and advised him that it was a "bad article." The summary report claims the men "specifically discussed how to adjust the settings on Meyer's phone so that text messages older than one year would be deleted."

"Our review of Coach Meyer's phone revealed no messages older than one year, indicating that at the time it was obtained by OSU on August 2nd, Coach Meyer's phone was set to retain text messages only for that period, as Coach Meyer and Brian Voltolini discussed," the report said.

"We cannot determine, however, whether Coach Meyer's phone was set to retain messages only for one year in response to the August 1st media report or at some earlier time. It is nonetheless concerning that his first reaction to a negative media piece exposing his knowledge of the 2015-2016 law enforcement investigation was to worry about the media getting access to information and discussing how to delete messages older than a year."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll wait for the excuses for why Urban did nothing, lied, is continuing to be dishonest, and went out of his way to get rid of old texts once the story broke.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In America we've always had a problem with Mob mentalities and proving ourselves to mass audiences.I guess its some gene inside us that needs to feel better. My fun is watching that little yellow bus go by filled with folks wielding their torches and pitchforks who think they're somehow above it all and in a position to pass their judgment as truth. even though facts are missing. The reality is that Meyer is the current easy target and people like to use easy targets to display their moral high ground. Its unfortunate but its really as simple as this " Urban Meyer did bad things and I'm denouncing him because I would never do such a thing, so lets fire him!" {insert roar of angry mob crowd}

I have much more respect for the guy that simply says "Meyer was a dueshbag at Florida and I don't like him"

Enjoy the bus ride sir!

Meyer's time at Florida definitely colors my opinion, and I never tried to hide that. It colors my opinion because I am aware of some of the dishonest things he did and some of the things he covered up because they would impair his chances of winning. What he's doing now (and back in 2015) is completely consistent with his past. Continue making the excuse that you just want "all of the facts," Dog. I see that excuse made all of the time when people don't want to defend a person acting badly but also don't want to condemn them. Instead, they want to wait for "all of the facts," which of course never come out. It's a delay tactic to avoid taking a stance while being able to act holier than thou. Ironically, that's what you're claiming the rest of us are doing.

…..

Legend
Meyer's time at Florida definitely colors my opinion, and I never tried to hide that. It colors my opinion because I am aware of some of the dishonest things he did and some of the things he covered up because they would impair his chances of winning. What he's doing now (and back in 2015) is completely consistent with his past. Continue making the excuse that you just want "all of the facts," Dog. I see that excuse made all of the time when people don't want to defend a person acting badly but also don't want to condemn them. Instead, they want to wait for "all of the facts," which of course never come out. It's a delay tactic to avoid taking a stance while being able to act holier than thou. Ironically, that's what you're claiming the rest of us are doing.

maxresdefault.jpg

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks an awful lot like Urban did some lying and attempted to cover things up:
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ummary-findings-casts-doubt-coach-urban-meyer
Among other items detailed in that report are:

• Urban Meyer told investigators that Zach and Courtney Smith met with him in his office at Florida in 2009, and they told him Zach's arrest for aggravated battery on a pregnant female had been based off incorrect information Courtney provided to police. Courtney Smith denied meeting with Meyer or recanting any of her allegations; Zach Smith also recalled that only he met with Meyer. Investigators found that it's likely only Zach Smith met with Meyer, and that both Urban and Shelley Meyer believed Courtney Smith "was not entirely truthful when she called 911 to have Zach arrested."

Meyer did not inform athletic director Gene Smith or anyone at Ohio State about Zach Smith's 2009 arrest when Meyer hired him as an assistant coach in December 2011. Ohio State performed a standard background check on Zach Smith in 2011, but it neither sought nor received arrest information. Gene Smith told investigators he did not become aware of Zach Smith's 2009 arrest until a media report last month.

• In the fall of 2015, Courtney Smith told Shelley Meyer of Zach's alleged abuse in a series of text messages and phone calls. Shelley Meyer repeatedly expressed concern for Courtney Smith's well-being, and, according to investigators, contacted the Powell Police Department in Ohio to find out more information on the investigation of Zach Smith. Shelley Meyer told investigators she did not relay Courtney Smith's text messages to Urban Meyer because "she had doubts about the veracity of Courtney Smith's allegations."

Urban Meyer denied knowing about the text messages Courtney Smith sent to his wife in 2015, but the independent investigators concluded that "given the closeness of their relationship and Shelley's concerns, we believe it is likely that Shelley and Urban Meyer had at least some communication about these allegations in 2015 and were concerned about them, although both had doubts about the credibility of Courtney's claims ..."

• Meyer told investigators he had no memory of the 2015 investigation of Zach Smith when he appeared at Big Ten media days on July 24 in Chicago. He said he focused his responses solely on an accusation that Zach Smith was arrested on a felony charge in 2015, which proved to be erroneous. But in a text message chain obtained by investigators, Gene Smith advised Meyer to acknowledge he knew about two legal situations involving Zach Smith in 2009 and 2015. Meyer acknowledged receiving the text.

When repeatedly asked about the 2015 investigation of Zach Smith, Meyer denied any knowledge of the situation, saying, "I don't know who creates a story like that." Both Gene Smith and football operations director Brian Voltolini, surprised by Meyer's comments in Chicago, later informed Meyer that he was, in fact, aware of the 2015 investigation into domestic violence allegations against Zach Smith.

"We cannot logically square Coach Meyer's responses on Big Ten Media Days broadly denying knowledge of the 2015 events regarding Zach Smith with his extensive knowledge of those events in 2015 and the evident knowledge of AD Gene Smith of the 2015 events reflected in the group text message of July 23 and July 24, 2018 sent to Coach Meyer," investigators wrote in their report.

Investigators acknowledged that Urban Meyer was affected by the firing of Zach Smith, as well as the erroneous report about Smith's felony arrest in 2015. Investigators also learned Meyer "sometimes had significant memory issues in other situations where he had prior extensive knowledge of events" and that the coach has periodically taken medicine that "can negatively impair his memory, concentration, and focus."
. . . .
• On Aug. 1, after a published report indicated that Urban and Shelley Meyer were aware of Courtney Smith's allegations of abuse and a police investigation in 2015, OSU chief of football operations Brian Voltolini approached Meyer on the practice field and advised him that it was a "bad article." The summary report claims the men "specifically discussed how to adjust the settings on Meyer's phone so that text messages older than one year would be deleted."

"Our review of Coach Meyer's phone revealed no messages older than one year, indicating that at the time it was obtained by OSU on August 2nd, Coach Meyer's phone was set to retain text messages only for that period, as Coach Meyer and Brian Voltolini discussed," the report said.

"We cannot determine, however, whether Coach Meyer's phone was set to retain messages only for one year in response to the August 1st media report or at some earlier time. It is nonetheless concerning that his first reaction to a negative media piece exposing his knowledge of the 2015-2016 law enforcement investigation was to worry about the media getting access to information and discussing how to delete messages older than a year."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll wait for the excuses for why Urban did nothing, lied, is continuing to be dishonest, and went out of his way to get rid of old texts once the story broke.

It depends on what you think in situations like these. People generally fall into the "condemn them no matter what - there's no excuse", or "each situation is different, let's wait until we know more".

Throughout almost every article is something along the lines of "Urban and/or Shelly did not believe Courtney was not being entirely truthful".

That's enough for me. I don't believe anyone is required to get involved in someone else's relationship. So the fact that Urban clearly had reason to doubt the veracity of Courtney's claims, whether that is right or wrong, is a perfectly logical reason for why Urban did everything that he did.